Santa Ana Unified School District

Santa Ana Unified School District Employer Reviews

Great place to work to support education for all.
Media Design Specialist/Public Information Officer (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free lunch sometimes, given freedom to finish your work.
Cons: not enough hours in the day!
SAUSD is an awesome place where great things happen everyday.
From feeding pre-K's to getting a Harvard full-ride, the excitement and gratification never ends.
There are a variety of wonderful school sites.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: i bring my lunch almost everyday.
I arrive early and get the classroom ready for instruction. I make sure everything I need for the day is ready. I write the daily schudule on the board so the students can follow along as we go. I welcome the students at the door and begin our day.
Awesome place to work with Adults, Students and Parents
Career Guidance Technician (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 6, 2014
Pros: working with passionate people.
Cons: not having enough time to get some of the jobs done in a 12 hour day at work
A Typical day at work was assisting students, teachers, parents, and staff with information regarding Regional Occupational Program courses, resumes, job and careers exploration information, scholarships and monitoring students grades and progress. I also assist with workability representative who work primarily with Special Education students that – more... need work permits.

I learned great customer service, stronger work ethic, multitask and how to work better with others with different needs.

My co-workers where awesome I had the pleasure working with Principals, Teachers, Students, Counselors, Parents and Support Staff that was always willing to assist, multi task, and dedicated a safe environment and achieve a better education.

The hardest part of my job was I could not be in three places at the same time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to help and serve the student, teachers, parents and staff with my knowledge, teamwork, and the ability to multitask to get the job done in a professional, passionate, outstanding, and valuable way. – less
Very enjoyable!
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJune 19, 2014
Assisted 3 teachers on a daily basis. I learned new teaching skills since I worked with very passionate teachers.
Teacher Aid on call
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CaliforniaJune 16, 2014
Helping students on their questions at the class-room
Learning patience an improve communication skills
The most enjoyable part of the job, was share your knowledge with kids at school
not great
Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAApril 9, 2014
It was a hard experience that I would not wish to a beginning teacher.
Behavioral Health Specialist/DIS Counselor (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAMarch 29, 2014
SAUSD offers a great environment to interact and collaborate mental health treatment with teachers and administrators. They appreciate the treatment that the therapists provide for the students.
Great company
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CADecember 26, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: internship
Great company too bad it was only an internship thru school. Nice employees and a very fun environment.
Management and staff extremely helpful.
1st & 4th Grade Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAAugust 20, 2013
This was my first teaching job and I was given so much help from the principal and staff. It was a great experience and a good learning place to work.
You have to love what you do because they are never going to show you the money.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 26, 2013
Pros: fabulous work schedule, no weekends and off on all holidays.
Cons: salary.
Working for the Santa Ana Unified School District has been wonderful.
A typical day begins with reviewing lesson plans and preparing to teach the class. There are generally 4-5 classes of the same or very similar subjects per assignment. Once class begins, attendance is taken, my class expectations are given, the lesson for the day is explained, and – more... any questions the students may have are answered.
Once students have had an opportunity to begin working on their assignment, I walk around the room checking to make sure they are on track and clarify any discrepancies and assist with any additional questions.
What I have learned is that students will do almost anything to get out of doing their work, (excessive bathroom breaks, talking, request to see nurse, counselor, or other teachers during class time, etc.). Although they resist it initially, students love structure. They love the fact that you care enough to discpline them but will never admit it. Some of the most challenging students, in time, become the most productive ones.
Management is fine. I work independently with almost no intervention from management.
My co-workers are incredible and are willing to assist whenever necessary. We are more like a family rather than co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is the distraction from cell phone violators and typical disciplinary issues.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the students. It's nice to share the excitement with a student who suddenly understands a concept they've been struggling through (mainly math). It's eye opening to listen to what students feel about the world around them, their priorities, and where they are headed. I get to pick their brains and also impart bit and pieces of wisdom into their minds. It's a very rewarding job. – less
Not enough data!
Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 7, 2013
I currently have no data to consider for an opinion. I've only applied for one job!
Enjoyable and Busy Environment
Site Clerk/ Office Assistant (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJune 17, 2013
Working in one of the Santa Ana schools is very enjoyable. My main responsibility in a daily basis is answering phones, updating parents with different dates and events happening in the school. I also responsible for supporting and assisting the principal in any tasks that she needs which includes: calling parents, translating conversations, preparing – more... school fliers, preparing for staff/parent meetings. Prioritizing and multi-tasking is a must at this job setting. There is always movement happening whether it is assisting a student who is sick in the nurse's office, helping a parent, making a phone call, running copies, helping a teacher before they go back to class or preparing a meeting. – less
Making a Positive Difference in Students Lives
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAApril 18, 2013
Pros: making a positive difference in students lives.
Cons: not always certain if there will be work some days.
There is only so much that is considered a typical day at work as a Substitute Teacher. First, one has to get there at a different school each day 30 minutes early, check in at the office to pick up the keys, get the attendance sheet, and go into the classroom and study the lesson plans for the day. From there the day is not typical. The students may – more... range from kindergarten through 12th grade. The subjects vary greatly. The bell schedules vary greatly.

I learned to follow directions precisely without question. What I learned from being a Substitute Teacher as well is that students respond to respect tremendously. I learned they respond to kindness as well.

The management was of course different at each campus. The office consisted of a clerk, an office manager, a vice principal, and a principal, typically.

My co-workers I only would see on breaks and at lunch time. These were either teachers, assistants, or substitute teachers.

The hardest part of the job was occasionally not knowing until that morning if I would be working or not that day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making a positive difference in students lives, and being around positive students each day. The synergy was enjoyable and energizing. – less
A fast-paced workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAMarch 11, 2013
A hardworking district, organized system, and dedicated staff
Enjoyable workplace with very friendly staff to work with.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CADecember 12, 2012
Pros: 4 to 5 days assignment per week
Cons: no unemployment benefits.
My typical day at work is I get assigned to different K - 12 schools each day, I report to work by 7:30 a.m. or earlier and finish work by 3:15 p.m.
I learned that each school has a different management style and I learn a lot more because I am exposed to different classroom management techniques from the different teachers I substitute each day.
I – more... get to see various management styles from the different schools that I am assigned to substitute each day ranging from good, very good to excellent management.
I am happy with my fellow substitutes, we share our daily experiences and we learn from each other. The regular teachers are very friendly and accommodating and also helpful.
The hardest part of the job is I am assigned to different subjects to cover each day and I do not have the chance to explore and share my expertise which is teaching Mathematics.
The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job. Since I am assigned to cover for different subject areas each day I get to learn to teach other fields as well, I consideer it very challenging. – less
Teaching grades K-5 in Santa Ana, CA was a dream come true!
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAOctober 26, 2012
Pros: great schedule, pay and the satisfaction of helping others. challenging and rewarding.
Cons: california's limited budget putting stress on teachers and students to do more with less.
There is no typical day when working with children. Someone was always needing my attention when I was trying to keep everyone on the same page at the same time. So I learned how to multitask and make the best of every moment.

Managing children who came from ten or more different cultural backgrounds required getting their parents to agree with me.
So, – more... I didn't wait for Back To School Night, I invited them in the classroom or to come talk to me from the first day of school. I also worked closely with the principal and vice principal, who were very supportive. Fellow teachers, office staff, and custodians all played a critical part in a very delicate balance of order and safety.

The hardest part of the day was having limited resources for the children who needed the most help. I started tutoring for free before and after school to bring up grade point averages. I also taught ESL (English as a Second Language) to help parents be able to assist their children with homework and build a stronger bond between student, teacher, parent.

The most enjoyable part of the day was seeing that lightbulb go off when a student finally got it. Somedays, it was just knowing that a certain student was having a better home life, including a restful night sleep and breakfast. (90% of the schools I taught at were on free or reduced breakfast and lunch.) – less
Challenging but enjoyed teaching Kindergarten through 3rd grade best
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAOctober 2, 2012
I was a substitute teacher for grades Kindergarten through 12. I preferred working with Kindergarten through 3rd grades because I liked those age groups. I learned that many students spoke Spanish and English at home and at school. I had to brush up on my Spanish so that I could effectively communicate with the parents and some students. Fortunately, – more... I also received help from bilingual aides who spoke Spanish and English. My co-workers were friendly and supportive. I found that at many school sites, the management, the principals specifically, were not always there to greet me, welcome me or to speak with me whenever I was asked to substitute at their school. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some classrooms that had students who didn't listen and who purposely misbehaved because their regular teacher was absent. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to reach the students and find that they liked me as their teacher for the day. – less
custodian for all schools levels
Substitute Custodian (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CASeptember 12, 2012
good place to work.simple things are in hand, clean bathrooms vacuum the classroom and trash everthing.
Review
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAAugust 5, 2012
Pros: great management style.
Great organization to work for. Lots of opportunity to advance, learn new technologies and excel through.
Great experince working with Handicap Children
Bilingual Inst. Assistant- Severely Disabled (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJune 11, 2012
Pros: had the summers off.
Cons: did not get a pay check for two months.
Every day was a new experience. I learned patience and understanding. I enjoyed my job because the teacher i worked with let me use my strategies so I could help the students learn. My co-workers were helpful.The hardest part of my job was dealing with a student who had not had his medication and was intolerable. The most enjoyable part of my job was – more... working with my students and helping them accept their disabilities and helping them work around them. – less

About Santa Ana Unified School District

If you sell alcohol to a┬áminor in Merced, a teen in Torrance, or a youth in Eureka, expect a visit from the California Department – Read more