Santa Ana Unified School District Employee Reviews

Very Structural Job
AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 23, 2016
On a typical day I will go to my classroom and see if there are any tutorials that need to be graded if not I will ask the instructor if there is any additional work that has to be done. Then I will go to my first avid class I will collect the tutorials and grade them while creating groups for the students based on their questions. After the tutorial process is done I will grade the reflections and end product and record the grades for the instructor. Throughout the day this cycle will repeat itself.
Tough work environment & difficult to make changes
Manager of Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAFebruary 12, 2015
A typical day was 10 to 12 hours, which involved scheduling crews to fulfill work orders and emergency issues. Other duties involved physical site checks, budgeting, invoicing, supply ordering and inventory, and annual planning.
Learned more about people management, public relations, public speaking, work order processing, equipment management, and scheduling and planning.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with unproductive union employees and re-scheduling a lot of their work.
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
harsh environment to make any kind of senseable productivity
A Wonderful Place
Classified Clerical Substitute (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 12, 2016
I truly enjoyed working in this department. The Directors were so kind and respected by many people. They assisted the students and teachers in every area of education. They made sure the teachers were tested for language competency and I helped with keeping the records and files in order. I assisted at the test sites and made sure all the information they needed was prepared ahead of time. I was treated very well and have missed working there.
Great experience working with these students
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 18, 2016
I was a product of the SAUSD, and took great pride in feeling in the role of an absent teacher. I worked at several locations, and have nothing, but positive things to say about this marvelous organization.
Pros
Cons
nono
Enjoyable workplace with very friendly staff to work with.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CADecember 12, 2012
My typical day at work is I get assigned to different K - 12 schools each day, I report to work by 7:30 a.m. or earlier and finish work by 3:15 p.m.
I learned that each school has a different management style and I learn a lot more because I am exposed to different classroom management techniques from the different teachers I substitute each day.
I get to see various management styles from the different schools that I am assigned to substitute each day ranging from good, very good to excellent management.
I am happy with my fellow substitutes, we share our daily experiences and we learn from each other. The regular teachers are very friendly and accommodating and also helpful.
The hardest part of the job is I am assigned to different subjects to cover each day and I do not have the chance to explore and share my expertise which is teaching Mathematics.
The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the job. Since I am assigned to cover for different subject areas each day I get to learn to teach other fields as well, I consideer it very challenging.
Pros
4 to 5 days assignment per week
Cons
no unemployment benefits.
Pick another District
the Administrative Designee at IEP meetings (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAFebruary 16, 2016
Don't work here. They turn and burn their teachers like crazy. Work in another District. Put too much pressure on Admin. Comes down hard on teachers
Relieved to be gone
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CADecember 12, 2015
Admin could be somewhat of a tyrant and frequently lacked diplomacy with selected employees and parents alike. Job security was iffy at best.
Pros
Great health/dental care
Excellent Opportunities for continued education and collaboration.
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 16, 2015
This school district utilized state of the art/research based educational practices. All staff were highly motivated to support one another and collaborate in order to help all students to succeed. Staff was encouraged to "think outside the box" in terms of development of lessons and systems to help all students. One such program developed by a team which included myself (RSP-teacher), Speech/Language Pathologist, and ESL-Community Liaison, provided "at risk" students as well as Special Education (with I.E.P.) with intervention which specifically met individual needs-not "one plan fits all" program. The most difficult part of the job was witnessing the correlation between the poverty level and learning difficulties for some students.
Pros
Opportunities for ongoing training/staff development
Cons
This school was in lock-down mode every afternoon.
You have to love what you do because they are never going to show you the money.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 26, 2013
Working for the Santa Ana Unified School District has been wonderful.
A typical day begins with reviewing lesson plans and preparing to teach the class. There are generally 4-5 classes of the same or very similar subjects per assignment. Once class begins, attendance is taken, my class expectations are given, the lesson for the day is explained, and any questions the students may have are answered.
Once students have had an opportunity to begin working on their assignment, I walk around the room checking to make sure they are on track and clarify any discrepancies and assist with any additional questions.
What I have learned is that students will do almost anything to get out of doing their work, (excessive bathroom breaks, talking, request to see nurse, counselor, or other teachers during class time, etc.). Although they resist it initially, students love structure. They love the fact that you care enough to discpline them but will never admit it. Some of the most challenging students, in time, become the most productive ones.
Management is fine. I work independently with almost no intervention from management.
My co-workers are incredible and are willing to assist whenever necessary. We are more like a family rather than co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is the distraction from cell phone violators and typical disciplinary issues.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the students. It's nice to share the excitement with a student who suddenly understands a concept they've been struggling through (mainly math). It's eye opening to listen to what students
  more... feel about the world around them, their priorities, and where they are headed. I get to pick their brains and also impart bit and pieces of wisdom into their minds. It's a very rewarding job.  less
Pros
fabulous work schedule, no weekends and off on all holidays.
Cons
salary.
It used to be fun when I first started. Now it's all political. It's no longer what you know but who you know.
District Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 5, 2015
My days working for the Santa Ana Unified School District vary. There is always something different going on depending on the school site. I learned that the schools run so much smoother when there is a good administrator. Some teachers don't have the support of their administrators causing some students to be disrespectful and making it a poor teaching and learning environment for the teachers and students that actually want teach and learn. It's almost more important to make extra money per student no matter what the behavior. The best part of my job are the co-workers. Every time I see them they either greet me and always have a big smile on their face making my day. The hardest part of my job is seeing students not care about their education because it is going to affect them in the long run. The most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity to mentor the kids. it is very rewarding.
Challenging but enjoyed teaching Kindergarten through 3rd grade best
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 2, 2012
I was a substitute teacher for grades Kindergarten through 12. I preferred working with Kindergarten through 3rd grades because I liked those age groups. I learned that many students spoke Spanish and English at home and at school. I had to brush up on my Spanish so that I could effectively communicate with the parents and some students. Fortunately, I also received help from bilingual aides who spoke Spanish and English. My co-workers were friendly and supportive. I found that at many school sites, the management, the principals specifically, were not always there to greet me, welcome me or to speak with me whenever I was asked to substitute at their school. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some classrooms that had students who didn't listen and who purposely misbehaved because their regular teacher was absent. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to reach the students and find that they liked me as their teacher for the day.
Awesome place to work with Adults, Students and Parents
Career Guidance Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 6, 2014
A Typical day at work was assisting students, teachers, parents, and staff with information regarding Regional Occupational Program courses, resumes, job and careers exploration information, scholarships and monitoring students grades and progress. I also assist with workability representative who work primarily with Special Education students that need work permits.

I learned great customer service, stronger work ethic, multitask and how to work better with others with different needs.

My co-workers where awesome I had the pleasure working with Principals, Teachers, Students, Counselors, Parents and Support Staff that was always willing to assist, multi task, and dedicated a safe environment and achieve a better education.

The hardest part of my job was I could not be in three places at the same time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to help and serve the student, teachers, parents and staff with my knowledge, teamwork, and the ability to multitask to get the job done in a professional, passionate, outstanding, and valuable way.
Pros
working with passionate people.
Cons
not having enough time to get some of the jobs done in a 12 hour day at work
Safe and happy place to work in
Student Support Paraprofessional Special Education (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 30, 2015
I enjoying walking into my classroom with eager students ready to learn. I look forward to listening to their ideas of things that interest them. My co-workers are awesome to work with. Everyone is hard working and very helpful. The hardest part of my day would be when a student is lead to believe that they are not good readers. I love working and challenging them and my job is fully rewarding when the students feel great about their accomplishment.
Enjoyable and Busy Environment
Site Clerk/ Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 17, 2013
Working in one of the Santa Ana schools is very enjoyable. My main responsibility in a daily basis is answering phones, updating parents with different dates and events happening in the school. I also responsible for supporting and assisting the principal in any tasks that she needs which includes: calling parents, translating conversations, preparing school fliers, preparing for staff/parent meetings. Prioritizing and multi-tasking is a must at this job setting. There is always movement happening whether it is assisting a student who is sick in the nurse's office, helping a parent, making a phone call, running copies, helping a teacher before they go back to class or preparing a meeting.
Instructional Assistant
Teacher Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa AnaMarch 4, 2015
I absolutely loved working at this place because I loved helping the kids with their homework and especially when I had my own group to work with!! It was fun learning about the kids and their stories they would tell me about life! Also, I enjoyed going to different grades and I felt like I did an amazing job helping them and they would tell me!
Great experince working with Handicap Children
Bilingual Inst. Assistant- Severely Disabled (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 11, 2012
Every day was a new experience. I learned patience and understanding. I enjoyed my job because the teacher i worked with let me use my strategies so I could help the students learn. My co-workers were helpful.The hardest part of my job was dealing with a student who had not had his medication and was intolerable. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my students and helping them accept their disabilities and helping them work around them.
Pros
had the summers off.
Cons
did not get a pay check for two months.
Making a Positive Difference in Students Lives
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAApril 18, 2013
There is only so much that is considered a typical day at work as a Substitute Teacher. First, one has to get there at a different school each day 30 minutes early, check in at the office to pick up the keys, get the attendance sheet, and go into the classroom and study the lesson plans for the day. From there the day is not typical. The students may range from kindergarten through 12th grade. The subjects vary greatly. The bell schedules vary greatly.

I learned to follow directions precisely without question. What I learned from being a Substitute Teacher as well is that students respond to respect tremendously. I learned they respond to kindness as well.

The management was of course different at each campus. The office consisted of a clerk, an office manager, a vice principal, and a principal, typically.

My co-workers I only would see on breaks and at lunch time. These were either teachers, assistants, or substitute teachers.

The hardest part of the job was occasionally not knowing until that morning if I would be working or not that day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making a positive difference in students lives, and being around positive students each day. The synergy was enjoyable and energizing.
Pros
making a positive difference in students lives.
Cons
not always certain if there will be work some days.
Great place to work to support education for all.
Media Design Specialist/Public Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 20, 2014
SAUSD is an awesome place where great things happen everyday.
From feeding pre-K's to getting a Harvard full-ride, the excitement and gratification never ends.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, given freedom to finish your work.
Cons
not enough hours in the day!
Review
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 5, 2012
Great organization to work for. Lots of opportunity to advance, learn new technologies and excel through.
Pros
great management style.
Teacher of English Language Arts (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAFebruary 8, 2015
Santa Ana is a good place to work. Generally, most students are wonderful and bring enrichment with their cultural backgrounds. It has been a pleasure serving here.
Pros
decent pay great benies
Cons
job instability

4.2