Santa Ana Unified School District Employee Reviews

It used to be fun when I first started. Now it's all political. It's no longer what you know but who you know.
District Safety Officer (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAMarch 5, 2015
My days working for the Santa Ana Unified School District vary. There is always something different going on depending on the school site. I learned that the schools run so much smoother when there is a good administrator. Some teachers don't have the support of their administrators causing some students to be disrespectful and making it a poor teaching and learning environment for the teachers and students that actually want teach and learn. It's almost more important to make extra money per student no matter what the behavior. The best part of my job are the co-workers. Every time I see them they either greet me and always have a big smile on their face making my day. The hardest part of my job is seeing students not care about their education because it is going to affect them in the long run. The most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity to mentor the kids. it is very rewarding.
Instructional Assistant
Teacher Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Santa AnaMarch 4, 2015
I absolutely loved working at this place because I loved helping the kids with their homework and especially when I had my own group to work with!! It was fun learning about the kids and their stories they would tell me about life! Also, I enjoyed going to different grades and I felt like I did an amazing job helping them and they would tell me!
Tough work environment & difficult to make changes
Manager of Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: good benefits and pay
Cons: harsh environment to make any kind of senseable productivity
A typical day was 10 to 12 hours, which involved scheduling crews to fulfill work orders and emergency issues. Other duties involved physical site checks, budgeting, invoicing, supply ordering and inventory, and annual planning.
Learned more about people management, public relations, public speaking, work order processing, equipment management, and scheduling and planning.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with unproductive union employees and re-scheduling a lot of their work.
Teacher of English Language Arts (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: decent pay great benies
Cons: job instability
Santa Ana is a good place to work. Generally, most students are wonderful and bring enrichment with their cultural backgrounds. It has been a pleasure serving here.
Safe and happy place to work in
Student Support Paraprofessional Special Education (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJanuary 30, 2015
I enjoying walking into my classroom with eager students ready to learn. I look forward to listening to their ideas of things that interest them. My co-workers are awesome to work with. Everyone is hard working and very helpful. The hardest part of my day would be when a student is lead to believe that they are not good readers. I love working and challenging them and my job is fully rewarding when the students feel great about their accomplishment.
Intern
Student Help (Former Employee), Santa AnaOctober 21, 2014
I was an Intern in High School
I loved working for the District.
I helped with typing paperwork and inputting information to Oracle.
Great place to work to support education for all.
Media Design Specialist/Public Information Officer (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free lunch sometimes, given freedom to finish your work.
Cons: not enough hours in the day!
SAUSD is an awesome place where great things happen everyday.
From feeding pre-K's to getting a Harvard full-ride, the excitement and gratification never ends.
There are a variety of wonderful school sites.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: i bring my lunch almost everyday.
I arrive early and get the classroom ready for instruction. I make sure everything I need for the day is ready. I write the daily schudule on the board so the students can follow along as we go. I welcome the students at the door and begin our day.
Awesome place to work with Adults, Students and Parents
Career Guidance Technician (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 6, 2014
Pros: working with passionate people.
Cons: not having enough time to get some of the jobs done in a 12 hour day at work
A Typical day at work was assisting students, teachers, parents, and staff with information regarding Regional Occupational Program courses, resumes, job and careers exploration information, scholarships and monitoring students grades and progress. I also assist with workability representative who work primarily with Special Education students that need work permits.

I learned great customer service, stronger work ethic, multitask and how to work better with others with different needs.

My co-workers where awesome I had the pleasure working with Principals, Teachers, Students, Counselors, Parents and Support Staff that was always willing to assist, multi task, and dedicated a safe environment and achieve a better education.

The hardest part of my job was I could not be in three places at the same time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to help and serve the student, teachers, parents and staff with my knowledge, teamwork, and the ability to multitask to get the job done in a professional, passionate, outstanding, and valuable way.
Very enjoyable!
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJune 19, 2014
Assisted 3 teachers on a daily basis. I learned new teaching skills since I worked with very passionate teachers.
Teacher Aid on call
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CaliforniaJune 16, 2014
Helping students on their questions at the class-room
Learning patience an improve communication skills
The most enjoyable part of the job, was share your knowledge with kids at school
not great
Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAApril 9, 2014
It was a hard experience that I would not wish to a beginning teacher.
Behavioral Health Specialist/DIS Counselor (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAMarch 29, 2014
SAUSD offers a great environment to interact and collaborate mental health treatment with teachers and administrators. They appreciate the treatment that the therapists provide for the students.
Great company
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CADecember 26, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: internship
Great company too bad it was only an internship thru school. Nice employees and a very fun environment.
Management and staff extremely helpful.
1st & 4th Grade Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAAugust 20, 2013
This was my first teaching job and I was given so much help from the principal and staff. It was a great experience and a good learning place to work.
You have to love what you do because they are never going to show you the money.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 26, 2013
Pros: fabulous work schedule, no weekends and off on all holidays.
Cons: salary.
Working for the Santa Ana Unified School District has been wonderful.
A typical day begins with reviewing lesson plans and preparing to teach the class. There are generally 4-5 classes of the same or very similar subjects per assignment. Once class begins, attendance is taken, my class expectations are given, the lesson for the day is explained, and any questions the students may have are answered.
Once students have had an opportunity to begin working on their assignment, I walk around the room checking to make sure they are on track and clarify any discrepancies and assist with any additional questions.
What I have learned is that students will do almost anything to get out of doing their work, (excessive bathroom breaks, talking, request to see nurse, counselor, or other teachers during class time, etc.). Although they resist it initially, students love structure. They love the fact that you care enough to discpline them but will never admit it. Some of the most challenging students, in time, become the most productive ones.
Management is fine. I work independently with almost no intervention from management.
My co-workers are incredible and are willing to assist whenever necessary. We are more like a family rather than co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is the distraction from cell phone violators and typical disciplinary issues.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the students. It's nice to share the excitement with a student who suddenly understands a concept they've been struggling through (mainly math). It's eye opening to listen to what students feel about the world around them, their priorities, and where they are headed. I get to pick their brains and also impart bit and pieces of wisdom into their minds. It's a very rewarding job.
Not enough data!
Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJuly 7, 2013
I currently have no data to consider for an opinion. I've only applied for one job!
Enjoyable and Busy Environment
Site Clerk/ Office Assistant (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJune 17, 2013
Working in one of the Santa Ana schools is very enjoyable. My main responsibility in a daily basis is answering phones, updating parents with different dates and events happening in the school. I also responsible for supporting and assisting the principal in any tasks that she needs which includes: calling parents, translating conversations, preparing school fliers, preparing for staff/parent meetings. Prioritizing and multi-tasking is a must at this job setting. There is always movement happening whether it is assisting a student who is sick in the nurse's office, helping a parent, making a phone call, running copies, helping a teacher before they go back to class or preparing a meeting.
Making a Positive Difference in Students Lives
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAApril 18, 2013
Pros: making a positive difference in students lives.
Cons: not always certain if there will be work some days.
There is only so much that is considered a typical day at work as a Substitute Teacher. First, one has to get there at a different school each day 30 minutes early, check in at the office to pick up the keys, get the attendance sheet, and go into the classroom and study the lesson plans for the day. From there the day is not typical. The students may range from kindergarten through 12th grade. The subjects vary greatly. The bell schedules vary greatly.

I learned to follow directions precisely without question. What I learned from being a Substitute Teacher as well is that students respond to respect tremendously. I learned they respond to kindness as well.

The management was of course different at each campus. The office consisted of a clerk, an office manager, a vice principal, and a principal, typically.

My co-workers I only would see on breaks and at lunch time. These were either teachers, assistants, or substitute teachers.

The hardest part of the job was occasionally not knowing until that morning if I would be working or not that day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making a positive difference in students lives, and being around positive students each day. The synergy was enjoyable and energizing.
A fast-paced workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAMarch 11, 2013
A hardworking district, organized system, and dedicated staff