SANTA BARBARA BUSINESS COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Community Development
Career Services Administrator (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: advancement
SBBC College is a school that is serious about creating productive professionals, with many exciting programs. The many graduates I have worked with are now serving the community with confidence enthusiasm. I was very successful and productive and enjoyed my career with SBBC College.
Great place to advance your CV
Adjunct Instructor M.B.A (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: 5- week assignments
Cons: nights
I learned a lot and added many lines to my CV.
I was assigned a number of classes.
I was placed on many committees.
Everything changes quickly.
I solved a lot of problems.
Productive and fun workplace environment
Accounting/Business Tutor (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: time for homework
A typical day would be tutoring business students, communicating with other tutors and teachers.
Great paychecks, but you have to stand in line at the bank to cash them...EVERY TIME.
Financial Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 8, 2014
Pros: great pay, m-f schedule, usually no weekends
Cons: unrealistic performance expectations, no direct deposit available
They gave me great pay for my position, but then expected unrealistic performance, They combined financial aid, student accounts, and loan servicing into one department called "financial services". I had to perform the work of 3 departments. All of the financial aid parts of the job of course, which is a lot-getting in all of the documents, scheduling loan counseling's, meeting with students all day, consulting with prospective students anytime they requested a financial aid info briefing, packaging new students financial aid, repackaging continuing students financial aid, completing final fin aid calculations for students graduating or dropping or changing programs, spending lots of time on conference calls, and much, much more. Add to that everything from student accounts, like handling all cash pay student's payments, taking payments for anything at the school (typing tests, placement tests, uniform fees, etc),keeping all ledgers up to date, etc. Also loan servicing, so calling students that were getting close to defaulting on loans, or who had defaulted on loans already. Also had to GO TO THE STUDENTS LAST KNOWN ADDRESS and try to collect loan payments in person. It was not safe!! a couple of women going into bad neighborhoods, knocking on a random door and telling a big scary gangster looking dude that he or his wife stopped paying on the loans, and to please give us cash immediately. It was absolutely horrible. These 3 departments are separate at all of the other colleges, and combining them is a terrible idea. There was never enough hours in the day to do everything. – more... Then they threw in even more, like being the ones to handle all of the picture taking for both student and staff badges. We went and pulled students out of class if they were missing a document, and the teaching staff would be furious with us. This was a typical day. It was not uncommon to see staff crying, and the turn over rate was astronomical. My supervisor was hired after I was; I had 5 years of experience, and she had none-all she had done was manage an apartment complex. Meet your new manager, please teach her everything you know, thanks. Well, no thanks. Also, they refuse to offer direct deposit on their payroll, so every Friday you had to spend your lunch break standing in line at the bank like it's 1990 again. – less
Awesome place to work
Learning Resources Center Clerk (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAJanuary 8, 2014
Staff is the best! they are always fun and just their overall goal is to help teh student, not themselves
Worst Company Ever!
Instructor Criminal Justice Department (PT) (Former Employee), Rancho Mirage, CA.January 23, 2013
Pros: weekends off
Cons: prep for classes on days off (constantly!!)
I have worked for numerous community and vocational colleges throughout my years of teaching, and I have NEVER! exprienced the rude and vulgar students that this college accepts. I finally just walked out of the classroom. This so called "school" only cares about the money, students and instructors are only a number. The criminal justice department is by far the worst! The other Instructors do not help, and especially the CJ head (he is absolutly worthless!), the dean and departent director are worthless too. To top is all off, the students are not required to have a high school diploma! And not to mention the awful part time pay! for what I had to endure, be advised stay away!!!
Horrible place to work!!
Employee (Former Employee), BakersfieldDecember 6, 2012
Pros: it's a job.
Cons: pay. managers. phonies. no breaks. micro managed. stress.
I wouldn't even consider this place a college. Absolute joke not only to the employees but also to the students. Worst work experience I have ever had. Go watch the film Office Space and multiply that by 50. Many of the employees are ridiculously fake because they do not know how to function in a real atmosphere that involves productivity and accountability. Managers are a fraud to the entire educational foundation. Owners would rather hire a cosmetologist without a high school education over someone who is knowledgeable, educated and has experience working with college aged students. Why you ask? Because they want you to be able to push a garbage education on impressionable people.
Terrible work environment. Stay away. Former Bakersfield employee.
Administration (Former Employee), BakersfieldNovember 15, 2012
Pros: some paid holidays.
Cons: management. hours. pay. sales tactics. everything.
Owner of this so-called "college" cares about one thing, MONEY. Cost cutting at every corner, even at the expense of students. Pays low wages to teachers and faculty compared to other for profit schools. The problem begins from the second a potential student walks in the door. Particular programs almost never have set start dates and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to receive a phone call just 2 or 3 days before your supposed to start school informing you that classes will not be starting. Managers have no previous experience in an educational institution and are your typical sales types who can collect money and market. Employee turnover is laughable. New faces every other week, both in facutly and administration.
Unstable company, bad management
Staff Member (Former Employee), BakersfieldOctober 12, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: no breaks ever, inexperienced management
None of the management team knew what they were doing. They were inexperinced and would blame lower employees as a result. The first week I worked there alone, 3 people resigned and 2 were fired. Good pay, but that is the only benefit. They are constantly short staffed and all departments are overworked. The financial services manager had never done financial aid before, but they hired her anyway. Same with the admissions manager. Overtime is necessary but not allowed, so most employees work off the clock and falsify timecards (if not salaried). This school has already had several lawsuits (just google it). You will not be warned or written up for mistakes, simply terminated if you are not in with the in crowd, its like high school all over again. If you are reading this I implore you, do your research. You will be doing the work of 3 departments at once, as they recently got rid of the bursars office and loan servicing-you have triple the work you would at any other college for this position, and your manager is deplorable.
Teaching has its perks
General Education Instructor (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAJuly 24, 2012
Pros: student graduation
Cons: lesson plans and grades submission
The best part of this job was being able to impart knowledge and experience to interested students. Greatest joy, graduation ceremony
Teaching has its perks
General Education Instructor (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAJuly 24, 2012
Pros: student graduation
Cons: lesson plans and grades submission
Enjoyable place to work
Instructor in Paralegal Studies (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CaliforniaMarch 11, 2011
Pros: collegial atmosphere
Cons: not enough steady work
Friendly work environment where everyone was helpful to encourage employee to succeed at his/her job