Santa Barbara City College

Santa Barbara City College Employee Reviews

very fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJune 3, 2015
cash handling, learned how to do special orders, management is very open to what you need as a student worker, the hardest part of the job was not being able to go back as a part time worker, the most enjoyable part of the job was that working with my co-workers we always had fun doing our job.
Enjoyed working with the CNA students
CNA Skills Evaluator (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
I enjoyed the position I had as a RN skills evaluator for the college and liked working with the CNA students and the Administrator of the program. Unfortunately, the school funding was discontinued and the program was closed.
Fun Working Environment
S.B.C.C. Sky Box Hostess & Athletic Cage Staff (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: free lunches, great atmosphere, co workers
Cons: n/a
Worked in the Sky Box during the SBCC Football Games- setting up for the sponsors. Also, worked in the Athletic Cage during Weekdays.

I learned how to set up for large events, how to organize a party and catering setting, how to communicate with different individuals in a professional sport setting. I also learned how to work with others, (coworkers) as well as time management.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that in the Cage it was laid back and it was also work study for me, therefore I was able to get all my school work done while I was finished with everything at work.
Great atmosphere, even better co-workers
Assistant Football Coach/ Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CADecember 30, 2014
Pros: the staff
Cons: the salary
Excellent work place with fun, outgoing people. The management at SBCC it nothing short of spectacular and the athletic department is lucky to have a great athletic director in Byrnes. My most enjoyable part of the job was showing up to work and having amazing co-workers.
Fun work enviroment
EOPS Peer Advisor (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CANovember 14, 2014
Pros: student job
Cons: limited hours per week
If you are a college student, this the right job for you. Staff are friendly, fun and accommodate your school schedule.
Rewarding to improve efficiency of an executive's office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAAugust 15, 2014
Enjoyed the opportunity to work primarily with executives when I was selected to be transferred as Sr. Administrative Assistant to the Dean.
College
College (Former Employee), Santa BarbaraAugust 13, 2014
Attended SBCC for the past three years for my AOD certificate and I did not work for SBCC.
Personal and Professional Development
Freelance Editor for Class Schedule Catalogs (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJuly 7, 2014
Working for Menards taught me what it meant to be a great manager. Yearly reviews helped me develop my abilities to offer a better self not only to customers, but also to co-workers.
Great
Research Technician for the Biology Department (Former Employee), santa barbaraMarch 18, 2014
Great opportunities to learn here. A typical day would consist of working in the laboratory to prepare samples for Agarose Gels, prepare buffers, etc.
Great JC
English Tutor (Former Employee), Santa BarbaraJanuary 30, 2014
College life school and part time work. The work was as a tutor so it felt just like an extra class.
Cold and Neglectful Employer
FILM AND VIDEO PRODUCTION INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 2, 2014
Cons: insincere, not helpful or supportive, lack of positive communication
I'll start off by saying that I never met my boss, the Chair of the department for nearly two months into my first semester. I only met him when he came in to give my students their first evaluation of my class. Even then, our conversation was brief and awkward.

Trying to get email responses to important questions was a challenge. Often it would take several follow up emails, and then another few weeks before any reply came. The usual excuse for the delay was "very busy".

As an adjunct, I felt unimportant and merely fodder to fill the classes that other tenure tract instructors did not want to teach. I was never brought in for Film Department meetings, nor ever invited to any college functions involving the film department.

There's an air of superiority in the film department and disconnect with the students. At one point, I overheard a tenure tract instructor tell a student, "I don't give a "blank" what you think. I'm tenured and can do what I want." I would say I was shocked, however, I feel it summed up what the film department at Santa Barbara City College thinks about outsiders.

My last semester was extremely stressful and awkward. Weeks before my semester began the Chair said he wanted to sit down and go over the evaluations of a particularly difficult class of students. I told him I could meet the next day, and I was eager to discuss the matter. He never got back to me. The next semester began without a word. I didn't hear from him again until it was evaluation time (three months later) - with the same class. It would've been helpful to have had the discussion prior – more... to teaching the same class as the one that had the evaluation issues. But no!

Horrible communication between the adjunct instructor and the department higher ups. It was a very cold experience. When I asked for help and materials with my curriculum and lesson plans, no one helped. I was told to search the Internet.

The one good experience I had was with the person in charge of the rental house. She was amazing and ever so helpful. She made my summer class a pleasant experience. Thank God for her. – less
Language Tutor
Language Tutor (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CASeptember 29, 2013
Pros: cultural enrichment and teaching method analysis
Cons: lack of benefits and very low income.
Serving and assisting students was the highlight of my job assignment as a tutor. Nevertheless, the lack of benefits and a very low rate did not compensate the extra mile that I always go for, at any position that I have held in the past.
Nice work place
Food Server (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAAugust 20, 2013
The job was very fun. The workers are amazing people, management was great.
Fun place to work while attending school.
Short Order Cook (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJuly 17, 2013
Great! I learned how to manage time and schedule school and work
A place of learning.
College Tutor (Current Employee), Goleta, CAJune 5, 2013
Pros: go to school and work on campus.
Cons: budget cuts.
Working at a school is an awesome place to gain much knowledge.
Great place to be and to work!
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 12, 2013
Love this place, good people all the way around. Am helping to put together behavior management plans and help with students with disabilities.
More than office work.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CASeptember 14, 2012
Pros: community, co-workers, productivity, making a change and helping others.
I started here expecting to just be the girl in the corner of the office filing and doing data entry. It turned out to be so much more than that, this work space was too tiny for me to be shunned away from what functioned like a family. The Disabled Student's Programs and Services office is specialized for disabilities of any severity, noticeable to the naked eye or not. The counselors that worked in this office had been working together for longer than I had been alive and they were a well oiled machine. They knew how to give the students the best service they could and make everyone working around them feel important and part of the bigger picture. My typical day included doing data entry, filing, answering phones, making appointments, copying, faxing, and every other typical office tast you could think of. No employee's voice went unheard through management. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the mental disabilities but we all had each other's backs if there was a bad day, it was always wonderful to feel the support from fellow employees.
Adjunct Trombone Faculty (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAAugust 17, 2012
A strong school that is a great place for students to come in and improve themselves.
convenient workplace
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Oroville, CAJuly 8, 2012
Pros: free lunches, fun environment
Cons: no benefits
A typical day consisted of working on the register, cleaning, and organizing my work area. I've learned how to use a register very quickly and efficiently and have accumulated great customer service skills. My co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job was standing in one place for 8 hours. The most enjoyable part was being able to talk with the customers.
Easy going atmosphere, respect for each other and team work.
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMay 25, 2012
Pros: friendships within my department / free gym access
Cons: after 3 years, i can't think of one.
I start my day by checking attendance calendar, proceed to check emails, quick check in with my co-worker to see what issues or requests need to be completed.
Check records on school vehicles to see which need to go for maintenance and give that information to my auto technician so the appropriate work can be completed.
Pull DMV reports each day in order to maintain my district approved drivers and driver spread sheet.
Check in with my director at the end of the day, to inform her of the days activity, then lock up and go home.

About Santa Barbara City College

Santa Barbara City College is a comprehensive community college serving the south coast of Santa Barbara County. Established in – Read more

Santa Barbara City College Salaries