Santa Barbara City College

Santa Barbara City College Employer Reviews

Great JC
English Tutor (Former Employee), Santa BarbaraJanuary 30, 2014
College life school and part time work. The work was as a tutor so it felt just like an extra class.
Cold and Neglectful Employer
FILM AND VIDEO PRODUCTION INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 2, 2014
Cons: insincere, not helpful or supportive, lack of positive communication
I'll start off by saying that I never met my boss, the Chair of the department for nearly two months into my first semester. I only met him when he came in to give my students their first evaluation of my class. Even then, our conversation was brief and awkward.

Trying to get email responses to important questions was a challenge. Often it would take – more... several follow up emails, and then another few weeks before any reply came. The usual excuse for the delay was "very busy".

As an adjunct, I felt unimportant and merely fodder to fill the classes that other tenure tract instructors did not want to teach. I was never brought in for Film Department meetings, nor ever invited to any college functions involving the film department.

There's an air of superiority in the film department and disconnect with the students. At one point, I overheard a tenure tract instructor tell a student, "I don't give a "blank" what you think. I'm tenured and can do what I want." I would say I was shocked, however, I feel it summed up what the film department at Santa Barbara City College thinks about outsiders.

My last semester was extremely stressful and awkward. Weeks before my semester began the Chair said he wanted to sit down and go over the evaluations of a particularly difficult class of students. I told him I could meet the next day, and I was eager to discuss the matter. He never got back to me. The next semester began without a word. I didn't hear from him again until it was evaluation time (three months later) - with the same class. It would've been helpful to have had the discussion prior to teaching the same class as the one that had the evaluation issues. But no!

Horrible communication between the adjunct instructor and the department higher ups. It was a very cold experience. When I asked for help and materials with my curriculum and lesson plans, no one helped. I was told to search the Internet.

The one good experience I had was with the person in charge of the rental house. She was amazing and ever so helpful. She made my summer class a pleasant experience. Thank God for her. – less
Language Tutor
Language Tutor (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CASeptember 29, 2013
Pros: cultural enrichment and teaching method analysis
Cons: lack of benefits and very low income.
Serving and assisting students was the highlight of my job assignment as a tutor. Nevertheless, the lack of benefits and a very low rate did not compensate the extra mile that I always go for, at any position that I have held in the past.
Nice work place
Food Server (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAAugust 20, 2013
The job was very fun. The workers are amazing people, management was great.
Fun place to work while attending school.
Short Order Cook (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJuly 17, 2013
Great! I learned how to manage time and schedule school and work
A place of learning.
College Tutor (Current Employee), Goleta, CAJune 5, 2013
Pros: go to school and work on campus.
Cons: budget cuts.
Working at a school is an awesome place to gain much knowledge.
Great place to be and to work!
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 12, 2013
Love this place, good people all the way around. Am helping to put together behavior management plans and help with students with disabilities.
More than office work.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CASeptember 14, 2012
Pros: community, co-workers, productivity, making a change and helping others.
I started here expecting to just be the girl in the corner of the office filing and doing data entry. It turned out to be so much more than that, this work space was too tiny for me to be shunned away from what functioned like a family. The Disabled Student's Programs and Services office is specialized for disabilities of any severity, noticeable to – more... the naked eye or not. The counselors that worked in this office had been working together for longer than I had been alive and they were a well oiled machine. They knew how to give the students the best service they could and make everyone working around them feel important and part of the bigger picture. My typical day included doing data entry, filing, answering phones, making appointments, copying, faxing, and every other typical office tast you could think of. No employee's voice went unheard through management. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the mental disabilities but we all had each other's backs if there was a bad day, it was always wonderful to feel the support from fellow employees. – less
Adjunct Trombone Faculty (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAAugust 17, 2012
A strong school that is a great place for students to come in and improve themselves.
convenient workplace
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Oroville, CAJuly 8, 2012
Pros: free lunches, fun environment
Cons: no benefits
A typical day consisted of working on the register, cleaning, and organizing my work area. I've learned how to use a register very quickly and efficiently and have accumulated great customer service skills. My co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job was standing in one place for 8 hours. The most enjoyable part was being able to talk with – more... the customers. – less
Easy going atmosphere, respect for each other and team work.
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMay 25, 2012
Pros: friendships within my department / free gym access
Cons: after 3 years, i can't think of one.
I start my day by checking attendance calendar, proceed to check emails, quick check in with my co-worker to see what issues or requests need to be completed.
Check records on school vehicles to see which need to go for maintenance and give that information to my auto technician so the appropriate work can be completed.
Pull DMV reports each day in – more... order to maintain my district approved drivers and driver spread sheet.
Check in with my director at the end of the day, to inform her of the days activity, then lock up and go home. – less
first experience
International Students' Ambassador (Former Employee), santa barbaraMay 16, 2012
had a good time in campus and corporate with students
promotion
Great College job atmosphere
Front Desk Clerk, Administration Office (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMarch 20, 2012
Job was easily one of the best flexibility wise. Always something to do.
International student workers, 25% off food at the Cafeteria
Logistic Process Assistant (Former Employee), NARAugust 6, 2012
Pros: location, flexibility
Cons: -
- Work with people from everywhere
- Flexibility work schedules

About Santa Barbara City College

Santa Barbara City College is a comprehensive community college serving the south coast of Santa Barbara County. Established in – Read more