Santa Barbara Unified School District Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Productive work place with opportunities for advancement.
Front Office Secretary (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMay 10, 2017
*Fielding calls, assisting parents, teachers, students, staff
*Time management, prioritizing, multi-tasking
*Well managed office/school
*Excellent, very friendly staff
*I do not consider any part of my job hard, just professionally challenging at times which is great!
*The most enjoyable part of my job is my job, having the opportunity to grow as a person and as a professional
Pros
Paid holidays, summers off
Productive and fun place to work
Special Ed. Para-educator (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 13, 2017
Not only is it wonderful to work with such a great and dedicated team, but my personal growth and gaining of education is unsurpassed! Both the staff and the students were key in my growth and understanding of the Special Needs/Education field.
Pros
GREAT hours
Cons
there are none!
Not open to hear concerns
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 1, 2016
I had a concern about a class and I informed the the proper people above me. They did not agree with any of it and let me go because of it.
Pros
The kids
Cons
fellow staff
Working with the children of all ages was a blast.
LVN Float nurse (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 17, 2013
At SBSD I worked with children of all ages, visited multiple campuses from elementary to high school and provided assistant to nurses and the students. Having many years of experience in pediatrics it was refreshing to see children with compromised health and physical problems go to school will their peers. My learning experience was to see them develop hope and skills needed to be able function in society and take hold of their lives with a handicap. I worked directly with the nurse director who I thought was the hardest working person with 15 schools she managed in the district. She was able to get the job done and I was a float nurse that was flexible and usually the last one to know what was going on. The hardest part of the job was dealing with situations of underfunding and the need for equipment and proper facilities to make treatments for these students more safe and comfortable. I wanted to spend money out of my pocket to provide things like hand soap, diaper changing stations and personal supplies for some students, but there was no compensation from the district at that time. I tried to make it as comfortable as possible by using my playful skills and singing fun songs.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the mark you made in that child's mind as a caregiver. I had a 911 operator skit with a 7 year old who I saw occasionally, she became quite good answering my made up emergency calls as I performed her catheterization. I helped kids look to the future with excitement while accepting their compromised body. I enjoyed so many parts of the job, the field trips that
  more... I attended with a diabetic and seizure disorder kid. I saw how important it was for them to go on a field trip and to be a kid, free to run and lower their blood sugar! So I tried to monitor them in a discrete way, buy acting a part. One day a classmate of the child who I was monitoring came up to me and asked, you're the nurse, can you hold my jacket? I enjoyed the trips to the Stow House, the museum of natural history and the bus ride with 30 or more screaming excited kids on the 101 freeway.  less
Pros
Parties, field trips, social gatherings, family events, teaching
Cons
Driving to campus multiple campuses, traffic, mean teachers, kids and parents with behavior issues, and parents with litlle or no parenting skills.
Mixed cultural and ethical values
Food Services Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 29, 2013
Uplifting working learning experience starting from the bottom line. Excellent professional development, customer service, language and cultural skills. Opportunities to implement area of expertise associated to language learning and business bridging strategies at job site.
Pros
Language skills development and multicultural awareness. Enrichment of Professional profile.
Cons
Challenging language communication issues with coworkers at the food preparation line.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Santa Barbara Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Santa Barbara Unified School District Reviews by Location