Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Employee Reviews

stressful but fun
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 8, 2017
santa clara valley medical center was a great place to work because of the culture and the people. they were easy to work with, flexible and compassionate.
Enjoyed working for the vmc i always as if it was a home away from home the people i worked with were top on the line.
Health Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 28, 2017
Works good because of the union. Staff cares about the patients. Make sure that the staff is trained properly to care fir patients. They open door policy with manages, you can always get help because they are there fir everybody. In my departnent a typical day starts off with a report from the shift before, if something is not done it is passed to the next shift. We copied patient radiological procedures onto cds or dvds, so we had to make sure that that the cd burner had enough cds and dvds so that we would not get backed up. We had to do all of this and answer the phone and process calls.each call is diffent and could. Take up to 5 to 10 mins to process. The main tools used to do assigned task were computers, special software for some tasks. Needed to know who to call if you could not solve problems. The calls rolled over between three to four people. Our schedules overlaped so there was at lease two in the office at all times.
Pros
Family like atomosphere, at the same time professional care for patients
Cons
Parking was bad but there was a lot of construction going on la s t year
Creativity is encouraged; passion is commonplace; collegiality is unifying.
LVN (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 22, 2017
I enjoy people and the diversity of it all. I feel I am appreciated and allowed to take initiative to get things accomplished. I am trusted.
Creativity is encouraged; passion is commonplace; collegiality is unifying.
Hard Work Yet, a Blast!
Hobspital Kitchen Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 13, 2017
This was my favorite job ever and I wish it wasn't temporary! I loved bringing patients their meals and making them smile! Great co-workers, awesome manager, and each day was a great cardio workout!
Pros
Lots of exercise, great pay, great work environment, awesome benefits, really nice manager, great schedule!
Cons
Temp job, exhausting, and the biggest con is getting to know patients who are really sick and end up passing away.
Very Busy Place but exciting
Clinical Nurse l-lll (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 5, 2017
Exciting place to work. Challenging. Always learning.. Atmosphere was good. Co-workers were supportive. Most enjoyable part of the job was having your very sick patient be able to go home.
Pros
Staff
Productive and fun workplace with fun employees
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed coming to work everyday. I enjoyed my co-workers. I enjoyed the taco truck. I liked learning e-file systems. I liked conversation with the doctors concerning the job duty.
Pros
I used a badge to enter buildings and certain entrances
Cons
It was a temporary position.
I was a volunteer in ER Radiology
Volunteer Radiologist's Aide (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 23, 2017
As a volunteer at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center I would assist the Radiologists in the hospital's emergency room. It was very educational for me while I was in high school.
Pros
The learning experiences
Cons
I only volunteered for a year
N/a
Janitorial/Housekeeping/custodian (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 17, 2017
Good benefits, good hours, made lots of friends with coworkers, gained knowledge on hazmat and safety requirements, great pay, good location in San Jose
Unprofessional, unmotivated, favoritism
Sr. Health Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 11, 2017
Stressful, unfair treatment between employees, no accountability for employees that did not perform to standard, lousy pt customer service. The ONLY enjoyable part of the job was helping patients.
Pros
Time off flexibility
Cons
No accountability on employees that did not perform to standard, unfair treatment between employees, no advancement opportunities.
Exeptional team work
Emergency Department Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 10, 2017
A great experience for nurses of any discipline. All work as a team to provide the best care. It is in an area that is very culturally diverse so you meet and treat patients from many different backgrounds and learn so much about their cultures. The doctors support the nursing staff. In difficult situations with patients nurse, doctors, and support staff work cohesively to provide life-saving medical care.
Pros
Job security, benefits, job satisfaction, very experienced staff
Cons
Busy most days, overcrowded patient areas
Great job benifits
Health Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 3, 2017
This job was a county job which meant it was supported by a union. It offered great benefits such as paid vacation and sick leave. However, due to technology evolving, most of those jobs have been terminated.
Great teaching hospital
Student Preceptorship on TCNU (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 31, 2017
Did my student preceptorship. The nurses were helpful in teaching us what we needed to know to make a great nurse. The staff is friendly and the patients involve high acuity care.
County teaching hospital
RN - Full Time - High Risk L&D (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 28, 2017
SCVMC has been around for over 50 years, but has always been an excellent center for medical care. This hospital has been affiliated with Stanford Medical School and other nursing programs. It has produced many highly trained individuals. Also, they accept patients from all over the world seeking their specialties.
outstanding temporary job experience
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 26, 2017
I was hired on knowing this was a temporary position of 1,040 hours. Excellent introduction to a TRAUMA Hospital environment. Managament put trust in employees knowing their job, no "over-managing" or continuos micromanaging. Peaceful workplace but continuous workflow, difficulty in adjusting to "no end of the day" but passing work onto the next shift. I enjoyed my graveyard shifts the best. small crew, no drama
Great compensation
Medical Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 13, 2017
Diverse work environment with patients and colleagues. Compensation is good with retirement plan. Opportunity to work in out patient laboratory, receiving samples, and in the microbiology department.
High stress, great learning environment, and friendly staff
Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 27, 2017
As a high school senior intern I got hands on training and was able to put my knowledge that I learned in class to the hospital workplace. A typical day in the workplace included taking patient's vital signs, restocking rooms, taking orders from the registered nurses and learning more from the doctors and nurses I shadowed onsite.
Pros
hands on terminology
A highly dysfunctional work place with mediocre middle management and corrupt line staff
Senior Office Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 12, 2017
A typical day involved trying to staff nursing personnel for a 400 bed Level One Trauma Center in a stressful, very fluid, ever changing environment. Because nurses are always in high demand and are in short supply, there was lots of lucrative overtime for the persons being staffed. This created the opportunity for corruption and side deal making between the staff and the staffing specialists. Upper management was fine, but had little information about what was happening at the line level. Middle management were mostly horrible, lazy, turned a blind eye to problems and was rarely supportive of the staffing specialists.

Work place culture can only be described as Hobbesian: i.e. nasty and brutish. The hardest part of the job was the sheer quantity of work that one needed to accomplish in order to get the job done in the allotted amount of time. That and that almost everyone was mean and hyper-aggressive. The (only) enjoyble part of the job: I like a dynamic, fast pace, and time flew by very quickly. Eight hours went by as if it was two.
Pros
The quality of care is surprisingly good considering how the place is run.
Cons
Mean, uncaring people. Overall a very hostile work environment.
Productive and fast pace work environment
Therapeutic Recreation, Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 1, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the internship was working with upbeat, lively therapists. This made my transition easy and comfortable. I enjoyed working with the ranging population of patients and learning about individual stories and lifestyles. I enjoyed working with people, forming relationships, and bringing energy to the environment.
county hospital with a pension
Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric Pulmonology (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 31, 2017
SCMVC is the trauma center for Silicon Valley. If you are in a high speed auto MVA and suffer spinal trauma, you will be taken to here - a place which is nationally recognized for its spinal cord rehab unit. its also a great place for pediatrics - with specialists in GI, Pulmonary, Endocrine, ENT, Derm, etc.
Pros
stick to a schedule
Cons
pension and excellent benefits
your day...
Clinical Nurse I (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 13, 2017
as a new nurse, it's pretty good because you're given at least 2 months of training. it's not quite a newgrad program, but it was nicely structured. for the most part the nurses are pretty helpful and understand that you're new.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4