Santa Fe Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good benefits
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMFebruary 14, 2016
I walk into a place of smiling children. Parents need plenty of support and are willing to work with the school if they are approached in an compassionate way. Co-workers are all different, you find your positive group and you will always have those who are seldom happy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made a difference in some one life.
Pros
Benefits, vacation time, professional development
schedule is convenient
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMNovember 21, 2015
No benefits offered to substitute teachers. Convenient for working moms with kids and their school schedule. The company gladly accepts the work help given
Pros
create your own work schedule
Cons
healthcare
My typical work day.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMNovember 4, 2015
My typical day at work varies according to the substitute job I am assigned to. I have to teach as well as manage a classroom of 20 or more students. This is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with and getting to know the students.

I am open to new work experiences where the typical day would include greeting customers, running a register or selling musical instruments or something of that nature.
Pros
Getting to know new students.
Cons
Working with disrespectful students.
Educational Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJuly 12, 2015
I greatly enjoyed my time working with SFPS. The reason that I quit was the small paychecks. But of course when I was working there all I had was my GED. I worked in the high school and I do believe that some reforming needs to be done on the board of educations behalf and some school rules need to be enforced rather than swept under the table by teachers. It was a good experience. I do wish I put in more than a year and a half, although I knew I came to that time in my life where college was a "now or never" thing.
Pros
Steady pay. Pay during summer.
Cons
Underpaid. Under staffed. Special education department treated like 3rd class students.
A Wonderful Experience
Director of Transportation (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJanuary 29, 2014
Santa Fe Public was a wonderful place to work. I particularly enjoyed the culture of working with Hispanics and that was a valuable learning experience for me. I learned so much and the climate was wonderful.
Pros
wonderful leadership and co-workers were outstanding and very professional
Cons
compensation low
Legislative budget cuts have limited the teaching opportunities in SF
Long Term Sub - Difficult students (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJanuary 7, 2014
A typical workday was like herding and training a basket of feral bobcat kittens. What I learned is that most every person can be reached with high expectations, mutual respect, and uncondi-tional love. Management was supportive and coworkers were magnanimous. The hardest part of the job was separating from my students when the school year ended. The most enjoyable part of the job was in seeing an 'Ah ha?' moment on the face of a student.
Pros
an opportunity to enhance learning and to make a difference
Cons
cut back in licensed teaching positions
Sharper Image
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Phx AzAugust 19, 2015
• Ordering
• Inventory
• Running the cash Register
• Help customers take things to their cars
Closing and Opening
great place to work
Excellent example of a School District and teaching curriculum
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMDecember 11, 2012
I worked in the Santa Fe Public School District as a SUBSTITUTE TEACHER for 1 year and was impressed with the commitment in all areas of education. Teaching is challenging no matter what district and what part of the country you teach.

New Mexico is an example of how the people of the state treat their children to getting a higher education. The children want to learn and work very hard at becoming successful student. I learned many things working in the Santa Fe Public School District. I Substituted from K-12 ALL SUBJECTS in over 20 schools; elementary, middle and high schools.

Santa Fe is a beautiful scenic area good for learning and teaching. The many teachers I had the great opportunity to meeting assisted my Substitute Teaching that much more of a plesant experience as did the Administration Support I recieved from all the schools I had honor for working in.
Pros
small classes, bussing, parent particpation, children behavior
Cons
cold weather, rough roads
Lone finalist for Athletic Director, Oct 2013
Director of Athletics (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMDecember 6, 2013
SFPS is in the midst of an educational reform. School is managed by Harvard educated leaders that seem to have lost touch with theory vs. first hand teaching experience. They wasted a considerable amount of time and money for the SFPS, candidates, and employees in the interview process; after I was selected by the committee, I received an email that they were not going ot hire an AD after all.

I would stay away from SFPS....great resort town, terrible public schools.
English resource instructor (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe New MexicoDecember 12, 2014
Administration has a tenuous relationship with employees

2.8