Santa Monica College Employee Reviews

Flexble Supervisor
Laboratory Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 5, 2017
Enjoyed working here. Nothing bad to say. Supervisor flexble with my schedule because I had to go to school. The workflow was relaxed though at times it could get hectic but I managed it well. I really liked my Supervisors and they were really cool. I don't recall any bad times there.
Pros
The People you work with.
Cons
The Rush Hour
good atmosphere at workplace
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 14, 2017
This is a good place to work. Since I was a student in the Santa Monica College, it is very easy to arrange the work between class time and work time.
Community College with excellent reputation
Professor (tenured) (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 5, 2017
This is a college that has been feeding off one strong statistic: a high transfer rate to UC and CSU schools, but management fails to have a vision beyond that. Pay is excellent but based on academic background and time in, exclusively. Merit-worthy faculty can increase their income through aggressively pursuing stipends and taking on additional duties (Dept. Chair, Overload schedules).
Staff are largely unhappy entrenched workers waiting to retire.
Pros
Summers and winters off for faculty and slow times for staff
Cons
Expectations of overtime involvement and lack of management support
Great environment to gain customer experience
Library Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 2, 2017
Great environment for the first job, gaining first experience of customer services. The job contains organizing books, newspapers and magazines by the call number. Shelf reading and shelving mis shelved books. Work at the circulation desk with students and faculty. Helping for students to check out books, study room and library materials.
Poor management and campus security
INTERNATIONAL SERVICES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 21, 2017
The unionized nature of a public community college governed by the state of CA means that you cannot make a move or say anything without filling out triplicate forms on a typewriter and contacting union representatives. You have no say on union dues and 401k amounts that are taken out of your paycheck, these are mandatory and fixed amounts that are taken out. Absolutely no career advancement based on educational achievements, professional experience or merit on the job. All systems are completely antiquated (ie ^ triplicate forms, typewriters, etc) which means all processes move at a snail's pace.
Have not worked at Santa Monica
Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 19, 2017
I have not worked on Santa Monica Campus. I have mostly worked off campus. Contemporary Services Corporation as an Event Staff Employee; doing ticket-holding, security, guide, observing or keeping vigilant on the customers, and I have worked in McDonald's as a staff employee; doing registry, kitchen, serving, and cleaning.
Santa Monica College
Creative Director/Producer (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 6, 2017
It's all downhill to the beach. Less than two miles. It's a college campus...so I guess it's not nearly as "cut-throat" as other environments. I like it hear and would love to become a permanent part of the work force here.
A great place to work!!
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Human ResourcesJune 28, 2017
Santa Monica College is a terrific place to work. The culture of SMC is extremely diverse - with diverse faculty, administrators, classified personnel, students and volunteers, each contributing into the blended community of this iconic educational institution. The people I work with, are some of the best in their fields, all with a common goal which is to motivate, inspire and educate each student, regardless of background, age, gender or orientation.

This is a great place to work!!
I was teaching other people but it taught me a lot as well
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 7, 2017
This was the most rewarding job I've had by far because really impacting other people's lives and being able to see that come to fruition was the best feeling in the world.
Pros
free lunches and I made friends for life here
Cons
long training
a work place to make some extra money but nothing more
Assistant for the Recycling Department (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 6, 2017
My typical day at work was driving around with an electro mobile in order to empty all the trash bags in several buildings. After that, I was responsible for the proper recycling in our recycling area.
Smc is the most powerful one
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  math complexApril 18, 2017
SMC is the most powerful math center in all california.
This College has the most powerful and hardest levels of math and also the most advanced professors.
I am pleased to have worked there, as they taught me how to work hard for love!
Enjoyed teaching there.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 4, 2017
Seems like the most challenging aspect is always the students. Some were great and others simply didn't feel like working very hard. Such is the life of a professor.
Fun! Good mix with school
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 2, 2017
Help is always needed. Since it's also at the school it's a good opportunity for students to get experience in the theatre. There are positions for everyone no matter age or restrictions.
Education
Student Nurse (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 16, 2017
Excellence in education. The best ADN program in the nation. Highly recognized, leader in NCLEX passing rates. Clinical as well as Lecture professors hold really high standards of education.
My Experience Working at Santa Monica College
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 15, 2017
I fully enjoyed working at Santa Monica College. I met so many wonderful people and was able to further my education. A typical day at work consisted of myself assisting students and counselors. I filed paperwork, input student information, attending meetings, and so much more. I learned how to not only be a team player but to manage my time and get work done swiftly and effectively. Overall woking at Santa Monica was extremely beneficial for me.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
I wish I could have stayed to connect with more people
Fun and great place to work
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 15, 2017
Working as Math Tutor required you to have good skills at Math, however, the supervisor is great. She is really nice and easy-going person. It is really enjoyable.
Counseling department where I assist students where to find internships and also schedule appointments to meet with counselors.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 8, 2017
I work in the Career Services Center department in Santa Monica College. This department is a great resource for students to confirm their major, find jobs/internships, and meet with career counselors.
Pros
Only open from 8am-5pm
Cons
Have to be enrolled to meet with counselors
Challenging
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA 90405December 26, 2016
Gain the ability to work in a fast pass environment. Co-workers are nice and friendly. The hardest part of this job was keeping up but little by little I got better at it. I'm seeking for a better opportunity.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Tiering
Good Work Study for Athletes
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2016
A job for athletes or non athletes within the athletic department of Santa Monica College. You get the chance to meet and help other athletes at the school and at others. You work with a lot of people and you learn a lot about different sports
Pros
Hours based weekly
Fun place
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 9, 2016
Very open ended fun and amazing. Met a lot of good friends here and stayed in touch with them. The work pace is relaxed and a perfect place to work for a student.