Santa Monica College Employee Reviews

My Experience Working at Santa Monica College
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 15, 2017
I fully enjoyed working at Santa Monica College. I met so many wonderful people and was able to further my education. A typical day at work consisted of myself assisting students and counselors. I filed paperwork, input student information, attending meetings, and so much more. I learned how to not only be a team player but to manage my time and get work done swiftly and effectively. Overall woking at Santa Monica was extremely beneficial for me.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
I wish I could have stayed to connect with more people
Counseling department where I assist students where to find internships and also schedule appointments to meet with counselors.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 8, 2017
I work in the Career Services Center department in Santa Monica College. This department is a great resource for students to confirm their major, find jobs/internships, and meet with career counselors.
Pros
Only open from 8am-5pm
Cons
Have to be enrolled to meet with counselors
Good Work Study for Athletes
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2016
A job for athletes or non athletes within the athletic department of Santa Monica College. You get the chance to meet and help other athletes at the school and at others. You work with a lot of people and you learn a lot about different sports
Pros
Hours based weekly
Challenging
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA 90405December 26, 2016
Gain the ability to work in a fast pass environment. Co-workers are nice and friendly. The hardest part of this job was keeping up but little by little I got better at it. I'm seeking for a better opportunity.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Tiering
Education
Student Nurse (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 16, 2017
Excellence in education. The best ADN program in the nation. Highly recognized, leader in NCLEX passing rates. Clinical as well as Lecture professors hold really high standards of education.
Fun and great place to work
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 15, 2017
Working as Math Tutor required you to have good skills at Math, however, the supervisor is great. She is really nice and easy-going person. It is really enjoyable.
Math lab is a very relaxing place to work at
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 28, 2016
Very flexible with scheduling. They pay every month. Everyone is pretty down to earth. It is a perfect place to work at between classes and whatnot.
Fun place
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 9, 2016
Very open ended fun and amazing. Met a lot of good friends here and stayed in touch with them. The work pace is relaxed and a perfect place to work for a student.
Interesting work place. Very useful for students seeking money and experience.
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 20, 2016
Working at Santa Monica College is a great experience. Learning how to communicate with low english level international students has improved my communication skills. A typical day at work would be to look at the new e-mails, checking with staff members if they need help and look at the schedule for any specific task of the day. The following of the day would be influenced by the amount of the student seeking for help coming to the office. There are some repetitive and boring tasks which are not enjoyable. On the other hand, the help we can provide to international students through e-mail and direct interaction is the best part of this job. The organization is very good which make you feel confortable all the time even when you make a mistakes. The co-workers are greatly experimented and joyful. They make some harder day more enjoyable.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Low Salary
Studious atmosphere, always learning new things.
Clerk/Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 7, 2016
An excellent school and a great place to work. I broadened my mathematical understanding and helped others to broaden theirs. It is great to help someone have a new insight. It is fun to see them light up with understanding.
Pros
Great supervisor.
Best place to work
Business Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 9, 2016
I learned a lot from student
I like the environment there, there is stressful
my co-worker really nice, the boss is really helpful too
Great place to work at
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 28, 2016
Excellent staff to include Management. Very busy each beginning and end of each quarter. International workers and students. Great customer service.
Pros
Great enviornmet
Fun and Convenient
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 19, 2015
Working at school was convenient for me to go to after class. Professor was reliant on me, which made me more responsible for me job. Developed organizational skills as a result of keeping lab clean, washing equipment, and tallying up utilities. Having taken biology classes made helping students with their work much easier.
Good security, culture, and benefits
Student Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 25, 2015
College is a solid place to work that offers good treatment of employees for the most part, My particular department may be below par when compared to the rest of the departments. There exists a lack of complete trust between the management and staff. The culture is relaxed and very diverse. Working in international education presents a multitude of challenges specific to international education as well as the general challenges students face.
Pros
Benefits, salary relative to other institutions, relaxed culture
Cons
Confusing Merit System hiring process, building construction priorities, Unclear institutional philosophy
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 20, 2015
As a student worker, I enjoyed working here because they understood the need for a flexible schedule. I was able to grow and develop and my supervisors were kind and supportive throughout my learning process.
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
Temporary as a student worker
Great program within a respected community college
Instructor of Interactive Media/ Web Design (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 27, 2015
Santa Monica College is one of the best two-year colleges in California and a major transfer school into the UC and Cal State system. The AET (Academy of Entertainment and Technology) was the first program of its kind.
Pros
Good pay per class
Cons
Part-time faculty
Productive and calm work environment
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 22, 2015
A typical day at work involved me completing clerical tasks such as completing work on the computer related to inputting data on excel spreadsheets and double checking other files and correcting errors, running errands, communicating with other staff members. I learned more about the excel program and attained time management to complete my daily tasks. A few co-workers that I was able to work it without problems and get along with. The challenging part of the job was to learn step by step to work through the excel program. The most enjoyable part was the smooth running environment and being able to gain more knowledge on computer work.
Productive and Relaxing
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 14, 2012
Productive environment. The employees are nice and they welcome you like a friend. A typical day at work would be every one finishing an assigned task while conversing and laughing. The hardest part of the job is making sure we meet the deadlines ( which is not so hard).
The best part about this job is that you feel comfortable with the employees and the managers are helpful, kind, and not focused on finding mistakes.
Pros
free lunches (sometimes)
Cons
low pay
Santa Monica College
Reprographics Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 29, 2013
I learned how to work a corporate copy machine. How to bind and collate books and papers. I would take the teachers class syllabus and print out copies for their entire year course.The hardest part of the job was trying to keeping up with the paper jams and the constant complaints from both teachers and students about the machines not working.
Pros
flexible hours, free coffee, free Friday lunch
Cons
dealing with morons, irritated teachers, and having to stand for a long time
Great work environment
Adjunct- Professor-Health & Physical Education (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CaNovember 17, 2013
The campus is filled with 20 thousand students trying to transfer to a four year college or be a pre-professional. I learned to build better relationships. Management was great when it came to learning the job. My co-workers were a great staff. The hardest part of the job was meeting the demand of the growth for a community college. I enjoyed the part of the job by being a positive role model to the students.
benefits
Cons
budget cuts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Santa Monica College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.7