Santa Monica College Employee Reviews

Interesting work place. Very useful for students seeking money and experience.
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 20, 2016
Working at Santa Monica College is a great experience. Learning how to communicate with low english level international students has improved my communication skills. A typical day at work would be to look at the new e-mails, checking with staff members if they need help and look at the schedule for any specific task of the day. The following of the day would be influenced by the amount of the student seeking for help coming to the office. There are some repetitive and boring tasks which are not enjoyable. On the other hand, the help we can provide to international students through e-mail and direct interaction is the best part of this job. The organization is very good which make you feel confortable all the time even when you make a mistakes. The co-workers are greatly experimented and joyful. They make some harder day more enjoyable.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Low Salary
Good Work Study for Athletes
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2016
A job for athletes or non athletes within the athletic department of Santa Monica College. You get the chance to meet and help other athletes at the school and at others. You work with a lot of people and you learn a lot about different sports
Pros
Hours based weekly
Challenging
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA 90405December 26, 2016
Gain the ability to work in a fast pass environment. Co-workers are nice and friendly. The hardest part of this job was keeping up but little by little I got better at it. I'm seeking for a better opportunity.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Tiering
Math lab is a very relaxing place to work at
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 28, 2016
Very flexible with scheduling. They pay every month. Everyone is pretty down to earth. It is a perfect place to work at between classes and whatnot.
Fun place
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 9, 2016
Very open ended fun and amazing. Met a lot of good friends here and stayed in touch with them. The work pace is relaxed and a perfect place to work for a student.
Good security, culture, and benefits
Student Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 25, 2015
College is a solid place to work that offers good treatment of employees for the most part, My particular department may be below par when compared to the rest of the departments. There exists a lack of complete trust between the management and staff. The culture is relaxed and very diverse. Working in international education presents a multitude of challenges specific to international education as well as the general challenges students face.
Pros
Benefits, salary relative to other institutions, relaxed culture
Cons
Confusing Merit System hiring process, building construction priorities, Unclear institutional philosophy
Best place to work
Business Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 9, 2016
I learned a lot from student
I like the environment there, there is stressful
my co-worker really nice, the boss is really helpful too
Studious atmosphere, always learning new things.
Clerk/Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 7, 2016
An excellent school and a great place to work. I broadened my mathematical understanding and helped others to broaden theirs. It is great to help someone have a new insight. It is fun to see them light up with understanding.
Pros
Great supervisor.
Great place to work at
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 28, 2016
Excellent staff to include Management. Very busy each beginning and end of each quarter. International workers and students. Great customer service.
Pros
Great enviornmet
Great work environment
Adjunct- Professor-Health & Physical Education (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CaNovember 17, 2013
The campus is filled with 20 thousand students trying to transfer to a four year college or be a pre-professional. I learned to build better relationships. Management was great when it came to learning the job. My co-workers were a great staff. The hardest part of the job was meeting the demand of the growth for a community college. I enjoyed the part of the job by being a positive role model to the students.
benefits
Cons
budget cuts
Productive and calm work environment
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 22, 2015
A typical day at work involved me completing clerical tasks such as completing work on the computer related to inputting data on excel spreadsheets and double checking other files and correcting errors, running errands, communicating with other staff members. I learned more about the excel program and attained time management to complete my daily tasks. A few co-workers that I was able to work it without problems and get along with. The challenging part of the job was to learn step by step to work through the excel program. The most enjoyable part was the smooth running environment and being able to gain more knowledge on computer work.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 20, 2015
As a student worker, I enjoyed working here because they understood the need for a flexible schedule. I was able to grow and develop and my supervisors were kind and supportive throughout my learning process.
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
Temporary as a student worker
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 1, 2014
Troubleshooting and repairing complex desktop and mobile hardware and software, researching non-routine questions.
◆ Provide general technical support for the SMC, students and employees, including set up of staff and faculty computers.
◆ Installs and maintains classroom and desktop software and hardware and maintains equipment.
◆ Research, evaluate, and install software and hardware as requested by Department of Technology.
◆ Manages academic computer labs. Maintains supplies for computer labs. Creates and monitors lab policies, usage, and procedures. Assists students in the computer labs with Microsoft Office applications

Received outstanding Lab Supervisor on performance reviews in customer service, communication skills and technical problem-solving.
Fun and Convenient
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 19, 2015
Working at school was convenient for me to go to after class. Professor was reliant on me, which made me more responsible for me job. Developed organizational skills as a result of keeping lab clean, washing equipment, and tallying up utilities. Having taken biology classes made helping students with their work much easier.
Fun workplace with coworkers
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 10, 2015
International Education Center is an office serving the international students on campus. It handles application, provides visa information, and manages files of international students.
Great program within a respected community college
Instructor of Interactive Media/ Web Design (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 27, 2015
Santa Monica College is one of the best two-year colleges in California and a major transfer school into the UC and Cal State system. The AET (Academy of Entertainment and Technology) was the first program of its kind.
Pros
Good pay per class
Cons
Part-time faculty
Santa Monica College
Reprographics Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 29, 2013
I learned how to work a corporate copy machine. How to bind and collate books and papers. I would take the teachers class syllabus and print out copies for their entire year course.The hardest part of the job was trying to keeping up with the paper jams and the constant complaints from both teachers and students about the machines not working.
Pros
flexible hours, free coffee, free Friday lunch
Cons
dealing with morons, irritated teachers, and having to stand for a long time
Productive and Relaxing
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 14, 2012
Productive environment. The employees are nice and they welcome you like a friend. A typical day at work would be every one finishing an assigned task while conversing and laughing. The hardest part of the job is making sure we meet the deadlines ( which is not so hard).
The best part about this job is that you feel comfortable with the employees and the managers are helpful, kind, and not focused on finding mistakes.
Pros
free lunches (sometimes)
Cons
low pay
Diverse fun workplace
Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 4, 2012
Supervised high volume administrative center of 20-75 students per day and assisting 22 counselors with light bookkeeping Advisement and support students experiencing academic challenges including academic probation and disqualification.
Learned multiple telephone system, drafting letters, sending mail incoming/outgoing for faculty, faxing, filling student‘s confidential records, keeping office organized.
Comfortable environment with friendly employees.
Alternate Media Specialist Student Helper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2014
A typical day at work was a calm day, there wouldn't be conflicts and everyone was friendly. I wouldn't really work with co-workers because It was an individual position but it was stress-free position. There wasn't really a hard part of the job but what I really enjoyed were the friendly people who were around.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
short hours of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Santa Monica College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.7