Santander Bank

Santander Bank Employer Reviews

my thoughts
Customer Service (Former Employee), Reading, PAJanuary 8, 2015
I started here when I was 19 years old in customer service. I was able to move up to collections in less than a year. I miss this job.
system is bad
Personal Banker (Current Employee), brooklyn nyDecember 28, 2014
the worst computer system. the more they try to Improve it the slower it is and freezes
Consumer Loan Specialist
Consumer Loan Specialist III (Current Employee), Reading, PADecember 18, 2014
I work in consumer loan department. I do payoffs for Home Equity Line of Credit and loans for customers with the bank. I figure out the per diem that they would like to know to either refinance or payoff there loan.
A Poor Man's Bank of America
Personal Banker (Former Employee), Danvers, MADecember 15, 2014
I left bank of america to work here, and it was a mistake. There are good people here, but the culture is not yet committed to doing an excellent job. The products were not bad, but the support to the customer was unacceptable at times. It is difficult to sell if you fear that the customer will be cast aside once they need help from anyone but you.

The company is growing, but they need to get their house in order and start to demand excellence of themselves in terms of customer experience.
jod review
Retail Representative (Former Employee), East Providence, RIDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great chance for advancement
Cons: favortism
the hardest thing about this job was being able to handle all the calls through out the day back to back but if u were able to keep your mind right and stay focused it was not that bad
Would Recommend Working Here
Branch Manager/Bank Officer (Former Employee), Byram, NJNovember 24, 2014
Pros: feeling like you own your own business, ability to make substantially more in incentives & bonuses
My Role as a Branch Manager was to own my Business. Even though the amount of Team Members in each Branch was minimal, it emulated a Successful Sales Environment when fully staffed. If you like the feeling that you own your own Business Front to Back Door then this is the Company for you. I had a Great District Manager that encouraged success and coached when asked for guidance. This Bank also made you want to do what was best for the Customer and Team Members. In most cases if Team Members were discouraged about a circumstance and/or change because of My Leadership Role I had an opportunity to change their feelings to positive collaborative thinking and encouragement to continue to do their best. The Customer base is Very Loyal and Appreciative towards Team Members even though there has been many changes. Team Members have been with the Company for a substantial amount of time and are extremely dedicated to "Do what it takes". If you work hard and are staffed you will have the ability to make substantially more than your base. This Company was Sovereign Bank... They have made great strides to become the Bank that they are today, by Conservative, Moral, and Ethical ways. Very Proud to say I worked here.
Fun depends on your district
Acting Branch Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 18, 2014
District executive is unreasonable, no chance for advancement. I was a banker in training to be a manager at a dead end branch, only to be told they already hired a manager outside the company to fill the spot i was training for. it was never communicated to me at all, they don't reimburse for parking if you work in a meter branch or sympathize if you have out of work situation.
Santander Bank
Teller III (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYNovember 16, 2014
Working at Santander Bank has been an enjoyable experience. Day to day work includes and is not limited to working one on one with clients helping them with their day to day transactions as well as any other circumstances. I've worked at many locations on Staten Island and have met and worked with many different people. These different locations have allowed me learn many things to further my customer service skills as well as help me grow as a person.
shift manager
Head teller / Personal banker (Current Employee), bensalemNovember 6, 2014
Open the store and close the store depended on my shift.
-Handled customer complaints, and then discussed it with GM. Most of all I look after my coworkers and my customer’s safety.
-Training and supervising staff.
Global Bank
AVP, Human Resources Learning Consultant II (Former Employee), Reading, PAOctober 29, 2014
Working for Santander (formerly Sovereign Bank) was very enjoyable and exciting. I had the opportunity to work in many different areas of the company. The favorite part of one of my roles was the opportunity to deliver New Hire Orientation and meet a lot of wonderful people.
Fraud Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 22, 2014
Great company, management and benefits. Extremely comfortable working environment with many rewarding career options.
Lacks culture
Service (Former Employee), Nashua, NHOctober 7, 2014
Culture is a positive factor in a company's success. Work Life balance is hard to manage, technology is still lacking.
Terrible Bank
Personal Banking Representative (Former Employee), North Andover, MAOctober 6, 2014
good hours, manager awful, co-workers were fine. pay not so great
great organization
Team Leader (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2014
good company to work for, great management and benefits. very high tech
Appreciated and compensated employees for their excellence
Mortgage Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Reading, PASeptember 24, 2014
Pros: quarterly ceremonies on bonuses provided to higher end sales services
Cons: location of office
My team was full of diversity, we worked together and were always able to count on one another. I was privileged to learn about investments and assist in basic investment portfolio details and updates. I believe the hardest part of my job was leaving and moving to a new location. I truly enjoyed providing excellent customer service and knowing that my customer was satisfied and pleased with the service i provided.
Good Bank to Work for Not Great
Licensed Personal Banker II (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2014
Santaders main attractiveness comes from the high base pay they offer their bankers. The system and company still have a long way to go before they can provide quality customer service. It takes about 30 - 45 mins to open a bank account for a customer and simple service requests like debit cards are a nightmare to deal with. Worst of all no one not even upper management knows how to use the system. The turnover is very high.

On the upside the bank allows for creative selling environments, because customers arent just begging to come into the bank, the bankers go out to college campuses, on-sites, to sell the products.

The products on paper are some of the most competitive in the industry and seem really attractive, when the bank starts to put more into their technology and the service matches the product, it will be a real competitor in New York.

Lastly, I was number one in sales for a 3 month stint that i spent at the bank for the entire duration. My sales far exceeded the goals, in fact at one point i was almost at 400% of goal, meaning my pay out was close to $20,000 in comission for 3 months. At the end of the quarter the bank decided to cap my gains at 3,000 and eliminate all the hard work and late nights i put in to achieve these results. Claiming that they havent had to pay out that much before in NYC so they were no safe guards to let me know i was basically over producing.

Needless to say this resulted in a terrible experience for me, but i still think this bank is a great place to work for the right individuals. Knowing what your getting into is half of it, being able to do your job is the rest. ;)
Great job
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Hudson, NHSeptember 23, 2014
A wonderful company that is worldwide. Very honest. Cares about employees as well as customers.
Very Few
Commercial Loans Ops Lead Specialist (Current Employee), Downtown ReadingSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: it's not volunteer work
Cons: too many to list here: poor compensation, negative employee culture, few opportunities to really advance--read the review.
There are very few opportunities to move up within Santander. You are more likely to experience upward mobility (both in position and in compensation) by quitting and applying as an external applicant, and I have frequently heard of management recommending team members do this. The employee culture is lifeless. There is no value for team members, from compensation to benefits to employee appreciation. The goals and SLAs across the board, regardless of where you are in the company structure, are incredibly burdensome, and again there is no appreciation for going above and beyond--the tier for determining raises (too complex to explain here) is structured towards those who complete a moderate level of production. Just insane. As a result, the turnover rate is high and employee morale is low. Outside of all this, the systems and hardware in use is out of date, under-powered (think DOS-based systems, and an intranet that crashes constantly--they just upgraded their PCs from Pentium 4's for god's sake!).
I wouldn't consider Santander for anything other than an interim job, definitely not a long-term consideration.
Your good one minute and have job threatened the next.
Team leader (Former Employee), BrooklynSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: commute to work
Cons: salary, managers, insulting merit increases yearly
Management is poor,the people you work with are phony. no proper training is provided but if something goes wrong they are always ready to throw you under the bus
Great Job growth
Personal Banking Representative (Former Employee), West Caldwell NJSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: job growth
Cons: pay
A typical day would start by getting assignments ready for the day.
Conduct client services daily and meet monthly goals

1 2 3 4

About Santander Bank

Sovereign Bancorp, Inc., ("Sovereign") (NYSE: SOV), is the parent company of Sovereign Bank, pro forma a $60 billion – Read more