Sapa Extrusions Employee Reviews

Packer
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, INOctober 17, 2015
Hours are extremely long. Not a strong union at all.Everyday changes by what broke down or what's up and running. Workers aren't really valued that much.
Production
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAAugust 16, 2015
• Operates and adjusts extrusion machine to form, bend, and punch a variety of work.
• Works from drawings, specifications, patterns, and templates.
• Uses calipers, micrometers, comparators, and other measuring
equipment.
• Sorting and packaging of parts.
• Verifying quantity and quality of material maintaining 85-100% per orders.
Pros
Free Lunch every month
Cons
Hot environment, Long hours
Sapa
Anodizing and Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mountain Top, PAJuly 27, 2015
Decent company to work for but don't expect to be compensated for your job. Union employees will make more than you. Medical benefits are poor at best.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Poor benefits and pay
Factory that make aluminum parts
Die prep (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, INJune 30, 2015
12 hours days
I learned how to set dies correctly
I also learned how to operate a crane
the management was pretty fair
the hardest part of the job for me was dealing with the heat
the most enjoyable part of the job was that it was a swing shift
Pros
Good money
Cons
long shifts
You may want to think twice
Crane operator, casting tech., furnace operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLMarch 16, 2015
Not a very safe working environment at all. Management has very unrealistic expectations and plays favorites. They preach safety but put you in harms way on a daily basis to keep production going. Worked there for 5 years and have not seen a raise in the past 2 years even with sterling reviews.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
unsafe work practices, buddy system, very liitle room for advancement
productive, great people
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJanuary 13, 2015
If you are willing to move and work. it can be a great fun place to work. Always opportunity for overtime. Just remember to be on time. They care for everyone's safety. Of course like most jobs it can have.its ups and downs at time but overall I loved it there and the people once you get to know them are. lot of fun
Pros
good pay. people, chance for ot
Cons
long hours.
Warehouse Forklift, & Food Service
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2014
Inspect raw materials check customer w/o tag. Pack material according to customers specs. I learned how ladders and electric cars are made it is very interesting. Hardest part of the job, is the heat. I got work freely there was no micromanagement.
They will give opportunity to almost anyone wanting it, which is good for those who have records.
Production Laborer (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 7, 2014
I am grateful for the opportunity they gave me to work there. I do have issues with my past and they were able to look past that and gave me work. The upper management team was really wonderful and did a great job training me. Upon working there for six months, I found the labor to be very strenuous and straining. My health and agility took a turn for the worst. The pay does not commensurate with the labor. Its more of a job for the younger generation.
Pros
relaxed with less than perfect backgrounds. good training team.
Cons
not enough pay for the labor involved. need more up to date equipment to perform work needed.
It's a cool job
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  North Liberty, INAugust 14, 2014
i like this job it's different from my other jobs. I learned new things.
Pros
company outtings.
Cons
short breaks
It was a good job
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Mountaintop PAJune 5, 2014
The job itself was good. The supervisors were pleasant to work with. Unfortunately I got laid off.
Productive and enjoy working with people
tractor trailer driver, forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 4, 2014
My typical day at work was very productive , i learned how to load
the truck especially the flat bets scaning the aluminum bundles and counting the pieces per each of them .
I have good relations with the managers and co-workers.
The hardest part of the job was loading the trucks without mistakes
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short breaks
Excellent company
WELDER IN MAINTENANCE (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 3, 2014
Manufacture and repair of Racks Aluminum anodize department, repair and manufacture of iron racks for extrusion department and anodize preventive maintenance on equipment such as (lubrication of chains in ovens treated aluminum) manufacture and repair of supports for different equipment, repair and manufacture of equipment for different guardrails. Elaboration of daily work reports. Manufacture of wooden racks for support.
Great manufacturing environment with "Can Do" attitude
Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXJanuary 28, 2014
Fast growing US manufacturer. Good support among the manufacturing family.
Pros
opportunity for career advancement
Cons
restructured management
Knowledgable Staff
Human Resources Internship (Current Employee) –  Cressona, PANovember 11, 2013
I have had the opportunity to follow a human resources employee to gain more hands on knowledge of human resources processes.
Safe and friendly work environment.
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 15, 2013
A typical day at Sapa was busy from start to finish. I prepared aluminum samples for testing. I then tested the material for tension, yield, and elongation (TY&E). I learned how to use and navigate the As400 (computer software), Instron testing devices, and calibration of measuring instruments. I also learned about safety. We had to wear PPE and had a daily morning safety meeting.
The management had an open door policy. I was able to take my suggestions and concerns to them and felt they understood and always tried to help however they could in any situation. As a team, my co-workers and I had great communication skills to to get the job done efficiently and effectively.
The hardest part on the job for myself was communicating with management from the night shift position. We did have e-mail but if something changed during the night there was no one available to answer questions. The most enjoyable part was being able to learn new things everyday. There was always something more to learn.
Pros
quarterly meetings, pay, profit sharing, free shirts.
Cons
twelve hour shifts, every other weekends, hot environment.
Worked together as a team to get the job done right while having fun making jokes with coworkers
Head Stretcher (Former Employee) –  Yankton, SDJune 10, 2013
Come into worked find out what im doing. Talk with supervisors to see if there is any problems with equipment or parts. Go over with supervisor what he wanted accomplished for the day. Hardest part of job was dealing with the heat coming of the presses. Enjoyable part was joking around with coworkers
Pros
fun coworkers
Cons
short breaks, heat
Learned a lot about Aluminum extrusion
Quality Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Connersville, INMarch 4, 2013
Always busy. The in box is always over flowing. Need to focus more on quality.
Pros
stay busy
Cons
work too many hours to keep head above water
A very productive place to work.
Crane operator (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILDecember 13, 2012
This is a great company with good pay and good benefits. Also there was always room for advancement.
productive and funplace to work until they closed down
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILOctober 12, 2012
We had our preshift meetings.They told us our daily quotas to complete. We all worked as team to completed our goals. The material handlers gave all machine operators product to load, cut, inspect, and pack. Then the product was shrinked wrapped and staged ready to be loaded on the trucks.
Pros
great benifits, 90 days to be hired in and over time when offered
Cons
when i started it was named alcoa extusions. 10 years laters sapa took over and closed the plant
Well managed company
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Upper Midwest territory.August 23, 2012
It was very nice to have a wide complement of capabilities to sell. Anyone that bought a aluminum extrusions was a potential customer.
Pros
good communications
Cons
lacking support staff.