Sapa Extrusions Employee Reviews

Great Company
EHS Manager (Former Employee) –  Connersville, INFebruary 4, 2017
Sapa Extrusions is an amazing company with a commitment to safety like I have never seen before. This company offers a great opportunity to advance and cares about its people. My biggest regret in life was leaving.
Pros
Great benefits, great pay, great people
Cons
Don't get wrapped up in the politics.
Good place if you keep yourself motivated.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 15, 2016
Ours is a Union shop and there is some tension between the Union and Management. I just keep my head down and keep out of it. I like our Supervisors a lot and I have found Management to be pretty reasonable. But I have also found our Union bosses to be great guys and genuinely concerned about our well being.

I pretty much like all my co-workers and love joking around with them while we work. The work can be pretty heavy and the plant itself is blazing hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. But we watch out for each other and if it's too hot then Supervision gives us extra time to cool off at every break.

The only thing I don't like is that since this is a union shop there is no benefit to going the extra mile. Everything is based on seniority. And if you do go the extra mile than other union folks will get frustrated with you for raising the bar. If your too friendly with management or agree with anything they say you can end up feeling ostracized. Best bet is to keep your head down and just do your job,

Other things:

Lots of OT.
Very little vacation time.
Good pay for the area.
Benefits are Okay.
Pros
People genuinely care about each other.
Cons
Wish the Union and Management got along better.
Coordinator
Commercial B&C Architectural Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GASeptember 17, 2016
Management is okay - lots of changes and no real opportunities to move up. They do have decent benefits but treat salary workers as hourly ; micromanagement their employees
A stable and safe work environment that encourages learning and proper work ethics.
Saw Operator and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, INDecember 19, 2016
A typical day off work was hard yet rewarding. I learned to be open minded and to understand that alll people are not the same even when working for the same company. This came in very handy when I became the team leader of the 3600 and my management team was very understanding and helpful in all situations. The hardest part of the job was understanding the difference being mean and being the boss seeing as I felt horrible when I had to discipline someone. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and working for the success of something much bigger than me and seeing the reward of that progress.
working experience
CNC Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  201 N 86th Ave.September 19, 2016
12 hour days, usually weekends off. Well trained to operate CNC machines. Management usually leaves you alone unless you need help or if there is a safety issue. Coworkers friendly and helpful.
Pros
will train
Cons
Worst place I have ever worked - Was lied to from day one!!
Saw Operator (Current Employee) –  Belton, SCMarch 31, 2016
Management expects too much of course and if you want to be in management you better hope you are related to someone else who is because most of them are related and help each other only.
The Supervisors are arrogant and ignorant and only qualified to walk around with a cup of coffee in their hand and dont adhere to the safety rules they preach to you constantly.
They will lie about your wages to get you in the door and then work you 7 days per week and act like you dont have a family , but they are off every weekend. Hot as h-ll in summer and cold as ice in winter. They preach safety every day but then put you in harms way every day.If someone gets hurt at any plant they punish all employees by taking away their bonus for that quarter , and its a dangerous place to work !!!
If you do get hurt on the job , be prepared to find a new job once you are released from the Doctor because they will fire you !!!
I have seen it many,many times over the years and they still do it !!
They will spend thousands of dollars for an attorney just to keep you from getting workers comp benefits or your long or short term disability benifits , this makes it easier to get rid of you when the Doctor releases you to go back to work.
Wages are low, HR and management is unfair to most employees unless you are related like most of them are.
Youre better off driving a garbage truck, at least then you can get rid of the trash !!!
Pros
fee popsicles
Cons
run away, far away !!!
Challenging place to work
Die Corrector / Maintenance Mechanic / Inspector (Current Employee) –  Mountain Top, PAFebruary 29, 2016
Challenging extrusion tolerances, safety oriented, good people to work with. Management is good. Great life balance. Benefits could be a lot better
Productive and freindly environment
Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 25, 2016
Very help full management approach
Highly motivated co-workers
Worked on new Software i.e. Creo Element/Direct Drafting 19.00
and quickly absorbed with the help of my co-workers and now performing well
Sapa review
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Belton, SCJune 21, 2016
a typical work day is ok at Sapa, however...it gets well over 110 to 120 inside of the plant. People get hurt a little bit more I believe than most places and because of the heat some people get dizzy, and are so dehydrated that they get sent to the company doctor or get sent home (interferes with home life and paycheck). A company that doesn't seem to care about their hired health at ALL!
I learned about different types of metal and heating procedures.
My co workers are okay they dont bother any one and they pretty much keep to their own groups and selves.
There isn't much to enjoy in this line of work the heath is constant and does not stop for 12 hours straight. Break time is the only time you dont experience that type of environment.
Pros
Break time and break area are cooled to 70 degrees
Cons
they dont control the heat (over 110 to 120 ), getting sick at work because of heat
Good workplace
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, INJanuary 4, 2017
It was a very good work place. The work was not very hard, I always enjoyed what I did at work. The employees there were also very nice to work around.
Work with extrusion machines
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, INSeptember 19, 2016
I was a line operator in a fast paced work environment we had to fill work orders for aluminium extrusion and ship in a timely fashion for customers to receive orders on time
Pros
Made good wage
Cons
warehouse work / packing and setting up for delivery
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2016
I've had a great experience at sapa
had to leave due to location relocation. the workers there were rude and non helpful. there was no youth workers just older
Cons
short breaks
productive
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2016
productive and fun but they need be more organize because they always ask you to work over time at the last minute. It is a good company because they respect your breaks, holidays, they are flexible when you request a day and they give you a lot of over time.
Great employer with lots of bonuses
die runner (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAJuly 26, 2016
At sapa my job was to delute ,brake off metal off of hot metal dies, I used a sledge hammer mushroom hammer and various tools. I was also a forklift oporater .I learned how to work the safe way and the proper way ,we had safety meeting once a week.The people where great and there was always work
You may want to think twice
Crane operator, casting tech., furnace operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLMarch 16, 2015
Not a very safe working environment at all. Management has very unrealistic expectations and plays favorites. They preach safety but put you in harms way on a daily basis to keep production going. Worked there for 5 years and have not seen a raise in the past 2 years even with sterling reviews.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Unsafe work practices, buddy system, very liitle room for advancement
Terrible Place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Mountain Top, PAApril 26, 2016
Hours are terrible management, does not care about employees union does nothing but take money out of your check, supervisors dont know how to do any of the work, offfice people treat the workers like slaves and you will work every holiday with no extra pay
Pros
good money
Cons
management is terrible
Produces good, quality material
Admin Asst 21 years; Sales Serv Rep 3.7 years (Former Employee) –  Cressona, PAMay 9, 2012
A typical day at Sapa consisted of dealing with customers via email and on the phone and servicing my account base by providing quality customer service and resolving any customer issues that would arise, i.e., late shipments and delivery, pricing, bad material, etc. Most of my aluminum extrusion accounts were on the West Coast and I had a good rapport with all of them, as well as the regional managers I dealt with. I learned so much about this industry and, even though it was hectic at times, I enjoyed it. The hardest part was dealing with one customer, in particular, who was hard to please -- rather arrogant, didn't like the pricing, and wanted everything "yesterday". I learned you can't please everyone and there's always "one" in the bunch. The most enjoyable part was knowing that, for the most part, my customers were satisfied with their orders.

I was an Admin Asst originally for one of the owners of the company and kept that position until 2006. At that time, I moved to a customer service rep position for the next 3.7 yrs. I spent a total of almost 25 years at this facility.
Pros
close to home, benefits were good
Cons
no job security
Extrusion Plant
Controller (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, ARAugust 17, 2016
Manufacturing driven, productive, challenging, and great work place.
Challenging position with a great work environment.
One of the worst places I've worked
Packer (Former Employee) –  Yankton, SDSeptember 3, 2016
So for packing you work with a bunch of other people putting parts together and wrapping them up to get ready for shipping. It's pretty simple work, but it's very monotonous. You're on your feet for about 4 hours at a time, with 20 minute breaks in between. Most weeks are 12 hour days, 5 on 3 off. They'll tell you that you're working 4 on 4 off, until you get on the floor and they tell you last minute that you're doing mandatory overtime every week.

If you get stuck on the paint line, have fun. It's incredibly hot, very fast paced and a complete pain in the butt. People get angry easily off are often very rude because they're overworked. The entire plant is very hot and everyone is required to wear long sleeve shirts for safety.

The management is nice enough, but fairly incompetent as far as I'm concerned. Things were never very organized and they didn't seem to know what was going on with the workers on the floor. The entire crew was generally very unhappy, everyone thought it was a terrible job but they felt like they had to work there to make that amount of money. The problem is, the pay is actually pretty bad for the amount of work you do, the checks are only decent because you're working so much overtime.

That being said a lot of the people on the floor try to be helpful and try to joke around and have fun, but the supervisors can be kind of mean a lot of the time and both they and the managers didn't seem to really care that the people on the floor were getting overworked and having overtime shoved down their throats because they didn't have to do it, so it didn't
  more... affect them.

It's a pretty miserable job. It pays well, but you basically won't have time for anything but work because you'll be working so much, and you'll come home too tired to do anything because you're spending all day on your feet getting overheated and dehydrated with not enough breaks.
Pros
Good Pay? (not really, just lots of overtime)
Cons
Low pay, overworked, too hot, so much overtime you won't have a life outside of work, not many breaks and no lunch break.
productive and funplace to work until they closed down
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILOctober 12, 2012
We had our preshift meetings.They told us our daily quotas to complete. We all worked as team to completed our goals. The material handlers gave all machine operators product to load, cut, inspect, and pack. Then the product was shrinked wrapped and staged ready to be loaded on the trucks.
Pros
great benifits, 90 days to be hired in and over time when offered
Cons
when i started it was named alcoa extusions. 10 years laters sapa took over and closed the plant

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sapa Extrusions. Our community is ready to answer.