Sarasota County Government Employee Reviews in United States

very good to work with Sarasota county
Professional Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 7, 2016
*Review building plans for structural related in compliance with Florida building code
* Review land development projects in compliance with county standards
Pros
good benefit
Cons
nil
Sarasota County is the best employer in the area - don't pay attention to negative Nellies
Temporary Administrative Employee (Current Employee) –  Admin. Bldg.January 14, 2014
Although I am only a temp., I have been here for four months, have met people in nearly every department, and I can tell you from an eyewitness account that county employees are well-paid, have incredible benefits and are very happy to be working here. I think it is the happiest and most team-oriented environment I've ever seen. Management is nice, personable and professional. All of my coworkers are extremely talented, professional and friendly. I've never been in meetings that actually engage everyone and focus on proactive issues and positivity. It saddens me that there are no openings in my department but I am actively applying to other positions in the county to try to stay here. Unfortunately there is a lot of competition for jobs with the county so I have not had much luck yet as far as finding a permanent position. That is the only reason I gave it 4 stars as opposed to 5 and left off a star on job security. I am just slighlty disgruntled that out of 6 positions I've applied for, I've only landed one, possibly two interviews even though I know I'm qualified. Expect to get a form letter rejection letter if you don't get an interview. And prepare to be up against many many applicants. It's not easy to get your foot in the door here.
Pros
pay, benefits, hours, holidays, friendly coworkers, great management
Cons
competition for permanent jobs, slow-moving processes, too many meetings
Absolutely No Management; Good Ol Boys Network ; Who knows who
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Public WorksJanuary 14, 2014
Employed as a supervisor. Quality of employees lacking any work ethic. lots of sleeping on the job by managers and supervisors.

Pathetic for the county...Really Sad!!
Pros
benefits and compensation
Cons
management!! or should i say lack there of: good ol boys network!!
Hostile, Unproductive, Lack of Resources, and Intimidated County Employees
A Last Seven Month's Manager (Former Employee) –  SCATJanuary 1, 2014
Most work days were taken up with impromptu meetings that lasted hours - sometimes three of four.This made it impossible to meet deadlines without working very long hours. Often staff were subjected to ridicule and threats of termination during these meetings - your only hope was that it wasn't your turn that day.

Hourly employees were intimidated as well, still they were also intensely committed to trying to do a good job in serving their passengers, whether they performed administrative, call taking, dispatching or driving functions.

Paraphrasing:
Because many of the hourly employees have more than just a few years of service coupled with concerns over the merging of two transit organizations and potential privatization, they were just trying to "hang on" until there was a change in current management. This was a sentiment I heard repeatedly.

I saw no benefit in waiting.
Pros
benefits were great compared to what (privitized)transit management offers.
Cons
lack of buses with working air conditioning, lack of field supervisers in paratransit.
Disorganized at best
Facilities Coordinator, SCAT (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 12, 2013
There have been a lot of changes and staff turnovers in mobility at Sarasota County. The "facilities coordinator" position has turned over twice in less than 7 months. Pay is good but expect to work overtime , use your own vehicle to perform county work and make much happen with little guidance or support from management. Politics revolve around keeping one's job and it is important to do as little that will get you noticed as possible. Transit is at the bottom of the pile when it comes to county departments and there is much that has been put off for years. Privatization threatens to take over and that fact has undermined morale all around.
Pros
it's a job with benefits, public sector so few perks other than a bus pass you can't use on the express.
Cons
understaffed, expect to be in meetings a lot, poor team work, pettiness, old buildings, disgruntled drivers
Administered Flu shots
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 7, 2013
During the flu season administered flu shots.
Very rewarding experience.
Good Benefits, but can be stressful place to work
Skilled Trades Worker I (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 20, 2013
Benefits are good, but lacks job support from management. Very top management heavy. Very low morale
Pros
days off and benefits
Cons
on call, lack of support and training from managment.

4.5