Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Amazing Team
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 25, 2016
Awesome group of people to work with. Also, a lot of resources available that make you job easier. Enjoying my time there.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Only 12 hour shifts for nurses
Public Safety Officer
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 24, 2016
This is NOT a security job. Hospital Police Force ! Taser certification, firearms training. Hands on physically restraining aggressive individuals. Work hand in hand with Medical Staff and Law Enforcement. However, pay does not reflect responsibilities or hazards.
Pros
PTO, Training with Law Enforcement
Cons
Low pay, no respect, promised pay increase rescinded
Overworked & underpaid
Patient Transport (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 26, 2016
To say patient transport is hard would be an understatement. Many people look down on them and in my time of working there, I lost count how many times I heard "that's just the transporter". It felt very degrading as that is an imperative job to make that entire hospital run smoothly. Doctors order tests to be done by a certain time, who brings those patients? There were many days where it didn't matter how fast you moved, 25+ patients could be pending in the system which lead to many unhappy patients. Understaffed first shift which was always the busiest.

A typical day involved clocking in, logging into the Teletracking system and picking up a job. Once paged, you call the floor to see if the patient was ready. They either went by stretcher or bed. Get to the floor, get help, fill out and have their chart signed. It amuses me because I wish it were as easy as it was to write that out.

Two Very high expectations: If ever slow, you have to call the Teletracking every 3 minutes or you're written up. And the average transports must take under 20 minutes....

100% of the time, there is no telling what you're walking into when you get to the floor. Did the nurse tell them? Are they ready? Are they conscious? Demented? Anything broken? Did the nurse pull their meds yet? Are they soiled and need to be changed first? Do they walk? Is there Cna help? Are there proper sliding sheets available? Does an IR nurse have to go? Just these few things alone could delay a job by 15 minutes, and if a job would be rescheduled, it looked bad on our part and the receiving end would get mad.
  more...

There were a handful of nurses I absolutely adored and admired for their hard work, attentive nature, and respect towards Transport, their patients and the staff on their floor. However, there are more handfuls of nurses who couldn't be taken away from their charting. And how dare Transport bother them about anything regarding their patients. It was a very very unusual observation, as many spent years and thousands$ to care for people they couldn't care less about. I most certainly understand that being a nurse is mentally exhausting, but you should never let that get in the way of your performance.

The Transport management changed dramatically in my time of working there. It went downhill quickly and I still wasn't sure who my actual supervisor was on the day I left. I had 4 or 5 different "red shirts" with 20 different rules they followed and some times I really questioned their ability to hire quality people. I have never seen more people filter through an area. There were times I felt like I was in High School. All that mattered was getting a spot filled on the schedule, even when informed about their performance on the floor. It saddened me. Sitting behind nurses stations on their phone, flirting with Cnas, yelling at staff for taking too long, walking around with music playing on their phone, walking around cursing.

If you kept yourself under the radar and worked your butt off, life in transport was one heck of a job. There were chances for OT, after 6mo you get PTO but the pay was deplorable for the job itself. The base pay was just recently raised and the new hires are hired on what the "veterans" just got up to. I could make a list about all that was unfair in that department.

There were less than 5 people in that entire Transport department who were incredible human beings that were amazing at what they did. And there are over 60 people in it, if that tells you anything.

For a billion dollar company, they should strive for a billion dollar performance from one of the very underrated faces of what makes that place what it is.
Pros
It's not a desk job
Cons
Management, quality of coworkers, low paying
Fast Paced
LPN II (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 24, 2016
Great learning experience, Observation Unit is very fast paced. High turn over of patients. Great team work. Low patient to nurse ratio.
Great coworkers there all family.
patient registration (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 29, 2015
It was so much fun working in the ER department, I got along great with every single coworker there. The hardest part of the job there was trying to collect copays, deposits etc.
Pros
Overtime was allowed.
Cons
Short breaks.
Exemplary work place, knowledgeable & proactive environment
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 24, 2015
We self schedule our hours, we self schedule our patients, we move swiftly with good productivity (103%), we learn and share new information daily during lunch breaks, management is very supportive, co-workers are professional and caring, the hardest part of the job is seeing a patient decline, the most enjoyable part of the day is seeing a patient progress home .
Pros
flexible hours, self scheduling, excellent benefits including PTO (paid time off)
Cons
chart reviews, inability to meet plan of care at times (missed visits)
I like working there
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 12, 2015
I love the people i work with it is a great place to work. The hardest part of my job is I work nights and it seems like patients get more confused at night. So with confused patients its hard to get them to understand where they are and why.
Trauma Center and ER work, very fast paced and great
Paramedic/Multi Skilled Technician/Trauma Team (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 12, 2015
My favorite job of all time. I loved my peers and management. I always felt valued as an employee and my opinions always mattered. I loved the Trauma Center experience and valued what each Dr brought to the table.
productive work environment
Full time (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 6, 2015
Nice overall environment to work in very high paced and all work material available when needed. Team based atmosphere with friendly staff and management.
Stayed busy
Transpoter (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FlSeptember 30, 2015
Transported ill patients throughout the hospital. Assisted lost guest with directions. Safely moved patients from stretchers to tables and beds.
Pros
Stayed busy
Cons
full time benefits were not given until 6 months
Great place to work!
Registered Pharmacy Technician II (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 24, 2015
Very fun hospital, employees are great, and management very good. This was a great place to gain experience in the anesthesia department pharmacy.
Pros
Great co-workers, fun environment, motivating management
not the picture the painted as far as job culture goes
Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 19, 2015
great place to work if you are a nurse or above. Otherwise the culture stinks and people are regarded as replaceable. dis not feel as if i was ever doing enough in the eyes of management.
Pros
pto time
Cons
management
More than ten years ago and is probably no longer relevant
PEDIATRIC NURSE (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 14, 2015
I was an LPNII This was my first nursing position. I learned a great deal from my internship and co-workers. The hardest part of my job was learning on the job (at times). The best part of my job was seeing the children get better and be able to go home.
Pros
ability to advance my career
greta place to work
pct cna (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 10, 2015
Busy all the time but my co workers are great , team players always willing to help. The doors of the managers always open when you need
Pros
great people
Cons
expensive the food
Great place to work. Team work
Floor manager, Sharon Hamilton (Former Employee) –  float poolJuly 9, 2015
Charge nurses very helpful. Team work among staff. Hardest part long hours but typical for nursing. Best part Nurse / Patient ratio and very qualified nurses assistance on every floor.
Pros
Great people to work with
Favorite job ever
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 2, 2015
I absolutely loved working for Sarasota Memorial Hospital. All of the staff had such a positive attitude. A typical work day started collecting supplies, being assigned to a section, and figuring out which patients were nurse or lab draws. It was very easy to follow the standards and guidelines they enforced. The only reason I don't currently work there is because I was hired for a seasonal position. It has been my favorite job so far and would go back if given the opportunity.
Typical
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 21, 2015
A good place to gain experience- dont stay too long- they wont like you to increase your education. Stay away if you want to gain more education
Productive and fun place to work
ER Tech (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 27, 2015
I worked in the emergency room and it is always busy from the time the 12 hrs shift started.learned a lot and hope to be given the opportunity to work ER again absolutely loved it.
Pros
Education reimbursement
Cons
12 hrs shift
decent place to work
cart tech (Current Employee) –  Sarasota Memorial HospitalMarch 9, 2015
I have no complaints. I come in do my work and go home. Management leaves me alone to do my work in peace so I'm happy. Wish they paid me more, that's pretty much my only beef.
Overwhelming job
RN (Current Employee) –  SRQFebruary 16, 2015
I'm an RN and I think we have too many patients. I take a 20 minute lunch break at about 3 PM, when I'm lucky. Otherwise I starve. When I have a lazy PCT, I get out of work a half hour late.

My typical day starts when I arrive 1/2 hour early to wade through the terrible electronic medical record to try to figure out what I need to do today (unpaid, they won't pay us to come in early, but it's impossible to do the job without this heads-up). Then they regularly change a patient when my shift starts, so I end up behind right away (didn't look that one up). Then I see the patients, and go on the Great Med Hunt because the machines are empty, or the patient is on something weird that we don't have stocked. Don't get me started on the docs, they're nasty. Thankfully, their PA's and NP's are usually nice.

Once I get some experience, I'm moving back up north to a UNIONIZED hospital. We are overworked here. I'll have to pay $5,000 for breaking the contract, though. They enslave RNs to contracts, that's the only way they can hang onto them.
Pros
pay is good for fl, lower than tampa area though, 1 day paid time off a month
Cons
won't match your 401b contribution unless you stay 5 years, rns and pcts have too many patients