Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Overworked & underpaid
Patient Transport (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 26, 2016
To say patient transport is hard would be an understatement. Many people look down on them and in my time of working there, I lost count how many times I heard "that's just the transporter". It felt very degrading as that is an imperative job to make that entire hospital run smoothly. Doctors order tests to be done by a certain time, who brings those patients? There were many days where it didn't matter how fast you moved, 25+ patients could be pending in the system which lead to many unhappy patients. Understaffed first shift which was always the busiest.

A typical day involved clocking in, logging into the Teletracking system and picking up a job. Once paged, you call the floor to see if the patient was ready. They either went by stretcher or bed. Get to the floor, get help, fill out and have their chart signed. It amuses me because I wish it were as easy as it was to write that out.

Two Very high expectations: If ever slow, you have to call the Teletracking every 3 minutes or you're written up. And the average transports must take under 20 minutes....

100% of the time, there is no telling what you're walking into when you get to the floor. Did the nurse tell them? Are they ready? Are they conscious? Demented? Anything broken? Did the nurse pull their meds yet? Are they soiled and need to be changed first? Do they walk? Is there Cna help? Are there proper sliding sheets available? Does an IR nurse have to go? Just these few things alone could delay a job by 15 minutes, and if a job would be rescheduled, it looked bad on our part and the receiving end would get mad.
  more...

There were a handful of nurses I absolutely adored and admired for their hard work, attentive nature, and respect towards Transport, their patients and the staff on their floor. However, there are more handfuls of nurses who couldn't be taken away from their charting. And how dare Transport bother them about anything regarding their patients. It was a very very unusual observation, as many spent years and thousands$ to care for people they couldn't care less about. I most certainly understand that being a nurse is mentally exhausting, but you should never let that get in the way of your performance.

The Transport management changed dramatically in my time of working there. It went downhill quickly and I still wasn't sure who my actual supervisor was on the day I left. I had 4 or 5 different "red shirts" with 20 different rules they followed and some times I really questioned their ability to hire quality people. I have never seen more people filter through an area. There were times I felt like I was in High School. All that mattered was getting a spot filled on the schedule, even when informed about their performance on the floor. It saddened me. Sitting behind nurses stations on their phone, flirting with Cnas, yelling at staff for taking too long, walking around with music playing on their phone, walking around cursing.

If you kept yourself under the radar and worked your butt off, life in transport was one heck of a job. There were chances for OT, after 6mo you get PTO but the pay was deplorable for the job itself. The base pay was just recently raised and the new hires are hired on what the "veterans" just got up to. I could make a list about all that was unfair in that department.

There were less than 5 people in that entire Transport department who were incredible human beings that were amazing at what they did. And there are over 60 people in it, if that tells you anything.

For a billion dollar company, they should strive for a billion dollar performance from one of the very underrated faces of what makes that place what it is.
Pros
It's not a desk job
Cons
Management, quality of coworkers, low paying
Excellent Employer - Sarasota Memorial Hospital
Compensation and HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 1, 2012
There was no typical day at work for me. My position touched all areas of HR and my planned day could change in an instant. I was lucky enough to be part of the HR system implementation in 2000 and was sent to many PeopleSoft/Oracle HR system (Compensation, Benefits, Recruitment, and Payroll) courses. Management was always very supportive and encouraged education which helped my career growth tremendously. My position in HR included training new co-workers on the HR system, interpret hospital policy for compensation and benefits as needed and various other tasks including data retrieval as needed. I feel, if asked, they would describe me as a person that was very knowledgeable and easy to work with. The hardest part of my job was keeping a good balance between my HR duties and my HRIS duties because of logistics and reporting structure. Although my position reported directly to HR, my HRIS duties overlapped many projects with IT and Payroll. These three departments reported to three different VP's and were housed in three different locations. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with the employees at SMH. I was a very active participant during hospital events such as open enrollment, service banquets, and fund raising events.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, excellent benefits, and working directly with the employees.
Cons
nothing comes to mind at this time.
Great place to work, I just would like leave my management role.
Pre-Analytical Manager, Laboratory Services (Current Employee) –  Sarasota FlJanuary 16, 2013
I am currently in charge of the safety for the laboratory. Also am the manager for about 50 phlebotomy staff that collect, process, and register patients for all aspects of lab testing. During a typical day, I help staff with registration problems, collection issues, evaluate and interview staff, review and write procedures, help nursing with staff education, attend safety committee meetings within the hospital, handle customer inquiries, and monitor day to day budget for 3 lab departments.

I am a type A person, who loves to be busy. This position has given me more than a few challenges, but the staff and management within the SMH system are great. I am just at a point that I need a change in the stress that goes along with this high paced position.

The hardest part of my job is keeping the phlebotomy staff. Unfortunately we do not have a lot of full time positions available so our highly trained staff are always finding jobs in doctors offices and other hospitals. Always happy for the staff, but it means that we have to start over with a new phlebot.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that the staff work together as a team. This organization strives to have all staff from phlebots to doctors adhere to the same set of standards for behaviors.
Pros
great facility and close to my home
Cons
long hours and since salaried no compensation.
Pedal to the Metal
Interventional Radiology RN (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 9, 2014
Extremely disorganized, poor management, but if you can work around that.... the co-workers for 65% of the time are very professional and helpful. Our Physicians are the greatest and I love working with them!
Recently hired too many unskilled workers so as for that, much to much talk goes along with workers who feel insecure! Environment is much to busy for appropriately training staff. No education or competencies are required for any RN or Tech?? Concerning at best, and it has been verbalized many times by the staff members.

The worst part of the position is dealing with Managers who have been there 30+ years and are extremely controlling, disrespectful, and sometimes just degrading!
The best part of the job is working with 3 awesome Interventional Radiologist who know what they are doing, are on a first name basis with you and respect you and your opinions.
The CEO resigned and I believe that as new blood is brought into the facility things can work their way up.
Typical working days start at 6am and end around 7:30pm. Our call teams work one week on... and 6 weeks off, We all love that.
If you are very experienced and have a strong backbone, you can survive the working conditions.
Pros
awesome physicians
Cons
rarely do you get breaks, eat standing at the door of the procedure room and rarely a break to relieve yourself
Overwhelming job
RN (Current Employee) –  SRQFebruary 16, 2015
I'm an RN and I think we have too many patients. I take a 20 minute lunch break at about 3 PM, when I'm lucky. Otherwise I starve. When I have a lazy PCT, I get out of work a half hour late.

My typical day starts when I arrive 1/2 hour early to wade through the terrible electronic medical record to try to figure out what I need to do today (unpaid, they won't pay us to come in early, but it's impossible to do the job without this heads-up). Then they regularly change a patient when my shift starts, so I end up behind right away (didn't look that one up). Then I see the patients, and go on the Great Med Hunt because the machines are empty, or the patient is on something weird that we don't have stocked. Don't get me started on the docs, they're nasty. Thankfully, their PA's and NP's are usually nice.

Once I get some experience, I'm moving back up north to a UNIONIZED hospital. We are overworked here. I'll have to pay $5,000 for breaking the contract, though. They enslave RNs to contracts, that's the only way they can hang onto them.
Pros
pay is good for fl, lower than tampa area though, 1 day paid time off a month
Cons
won't match your 401b contribution unless you stay 5 years, rns and pcts have too many patients
SMH is a big friendly bunch
Patient registration representative (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 2, 2014
As in every workplace there are pros and cons. Pros are SMH will genuinely look like they are happy to gain you as an employee, training is extensive and hands on. ER, where I am at, can be at times overwhelming, but you are independent in sense you work on your own and can set your own priorities. Cons is you are being micro managed. Even though you are on your own, the little constant no's to every way you look are unbearable. When at work I want to be treated like a responsible adult and it feels like I'm seen as a child.

The team is great, everyone friendly and helpful. I've definitely learned the importance of a team and importance of communication within it. There are possibilities to advance but not a whole lot within the department I'm in.Therefore, its probably best for someone who's not looking for far reaching advancement. Team lead is probably the end of line. Which is not a whole lot higher in pay.

Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing someone in distress smile because you've been there for them to make them feel at ease.
The most horrible experience in my life
Surgery dept (Former Employee) –  SurgeryApril 3, 2013
If you value your self respect and self worth and integrity,do not work for these morons. This place is a joke. Management just cares about there own little clicks.nurses that I worked with we're condescending and disrespectful.you are in fear of losing your job on a daily basis.no real raise for all the extra work. In fact money is taken away due to budget cut....but the workload is still overwhelming.short staff most of the time. I've never felt so let down. Don't believe the hype about this place being a great place to work. It may be in administration but for those who put in the long hours in the evening and on weekends, it's a prison sentence....the sad thing is that it could actually be a great place to work if not for the lousy supervisors(mostly women)
Pros
you get to say i work for smh
Cons
you work for smh. constantly, being reminded your lucky to have a job.i had a $1 of my pay taken away cause of their remodeling

Comment – May 3, 2013

I was going to leave a comment but now I don't have to, you summed it up for me. It's toxic there and it feels like a sorority gone bad. There are other rodeos in town that will pay more and their corporate culture is the opposite of SMH, (sorry mother of a hospital) where they are glad to have you not the other way around. I wonder how long before the marketing department pulls the only two negative comments down.

Magnet hospital not living up to its ideals
Emergency Room Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 20, 2013
Although the management talks a lot about how nurses opinions are valued, it doesn't really seem to play out that way in reality. The hospital has a long history of caring for the community but it appears the recent financial downturn has hurt it's overall ability to keep nursing staff and techs happy.

My co-workers are great, the management not so much-I am certain my manager still doesn't even know my name after a significant period of time. If you are counting on a hospital that is truely different from others don't bother with this one, however, it isn't worse than the average either.
Pros
allow for pay differential for bsn and msn
Cons
almost no 15 minute breaks, lucky if get lunch break, health insurance is not good if you don't plan to live near the hospital.
This manager and these RNs on Short Stay are HORRIBLE to work for!
LPN II (Former Employee) –  Medical Short StayJune 27, 2013
These people don't want a nurse, they want a SLAVE! The RNs are so lazy they would rather play on their laptops or surf the internet or Facebook than take care of their own patients. They don't even want to answer their own call lights, they would prefer the LPN slave to do it. The MSTs on the floor are no better, they treat the LPN as their slave too and insist they help them do all their work. If you should apply to this position and decide to say no one night, beware, they will be even nastier to you and eventually have you fired.
Pros
i learned that there are better places to work in smh
Cons
the managers over short stay and meckler admissions= horrible
was a great learning opportunity
LPN (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 4, 2012
I worked at SMH for 4 years all on a cardiac progressive step down CICU unit. I learned telemetry, Care of the post bypass patient, care and management of chest tubes, Code procedures, I became ACLS certified. I floated a lot to the wound care units, and the entire time I was there, I was learning. I enjoyed my job, until my husband had to leave town after Hurricaine Andrew decimated Miami, and I was working nights and needed to transfer to Days, but there were no available positions, so I had to leave to obtain day care for my 5 month old daughter and 5 year old son
Pros
great learning opportunity
Cons
working nights, difficulty sleeping during the day
Clean and productive workplace
Food and Nutrition Employee (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 27, 2013
Working at SMH was quite a learning experience for me. I learned how to work in a fast paced medical environment, how to handle difficult people and I learned all about the dietary policies of a medical facility.
On a typical work day, I would arrive at 5am and start my duties. I was always on time with tasks, which really helped me excel. I was generally unhappy with the management due to them being unprofessional in various situations. My coworkers were helpful and honest and I overall enjoyed my experience working there.
Pros
decent benefits.
Cons
unprofessional management, long hours, no weekends
Sarasota Memorial Hospital great place to work. Supportive staff
Utilization Review Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 3, 2014
My typical day at work is reviewing Observation patients and determining if they can meet inpatient status, then notifying Physicians that their patient meets inpatient status. I will then review patient flags for core measeures and apply banners if applicable. Then I will review all patients and determine if they still meet criteria for continued stay based on Milliman or Inter-Qual. I will speak with Social Worker and or Care Coordinator and discuss patients ongoing issues, placement issues and or difficult placement.
Pros
can advance
Cons
low pay
Exemplary work place, knowledgeable & proactive environment
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 24, 2015
We self schedule our hours, we self schedule our patients, we move swiftly with good productivity (103%), we learn and share new information daily during lunch breaks, management is very supportive, co-workers are professional and caring, the hardest part of the job is seeing a patient decline, the most enjoyable part of the day is seeing a patient progress home .
Pros
flexible hours, self scheduling, excellent benefits including PTO (paid time off)
Cons
chart reviews, inability to meet plan of care at times (missed visits)
Horrible Management/ No team work
Phelebotomist/ CNA (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 14, 2014
A typical work day consists of drawing am labs, after run you ether are assigned to a section of the hospital or you are working receiving specimens in the lab. I really enjoyed my job and was very good at it. I liked that everyday was a new experience , unfortunately lack of team work and very very bad management as well as starting at 5am and not getting a break sometimes until 10:30 or 11am made me decide to look elsewhere.
Pros
saying you work for sarasota memorial
Cons
bad team work, negative coworkers, bad management, favor ism
Extremely talented co-workers
Unit Secretary/PCA (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 25, 2014
Answer phones directing them to the best individuals to answer the calls. Helping doctors locate much needed documents. Being able to multitask with answering phones, intercom, doctors request for labs or missing records and answer worried patients family members questions was always a challenge but felt great at the end of the day when everyone involved gave cudos to eachother for a job well done
Pros
3 day work week
Cons
sad when the day did not go well with what were were hoping for in outcome
Great Place if you love helping others and like working in a fast pace enviroment
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 24, 2014
Very busy long days at work. I learned a lot when i worked at the hospital. The management usually stayed on top of things. Most co- workers were helpful. The hardest part about the job was the patient load. The most enjoyable part about this job was that i met a lot of people. i loved working on my floor even though it was it challenging. i also enjoyed learning new things about healthcare.
Pros
i always worked with great cna
Cons
patient load
Best Place to work
ultrasound (Former Employee) –  sarasota,flMay 4, 2013
Typical day at work was productive but the people made it enjoyable. Radiologist were great always ready to teach and keep you up to date on new advancements. My co-workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job I would say is you do stay busy. The most enjoyable part was someone was always willing to give you a hand if needed. I have worked at many hospitals and I will say this is hands down the best hospital I have ever worked for.
Pros
the enviroment, the people, oh yeah and starbucks
Cons
short breaks
Favorite job ever
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 2, 2015
I absolutely loved working for Sarasota Memorial Hospital. All of the staff had such a positive attitude. A typical work day started collecting supplies, being assigned to a section, and figuring out which patients were nurse or lab draws. It was very easy to follow the standards and guidelines they enforced. The only reason I don't currently work there is because I was hired for a seasonal position. It has been my favorite job so far and would go back if given the opportunity.
Patient care tech
Cna- mst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 12, 2014
Great place to work if your a nurse who's making the big bucks and they don't do as much as we do which sucks we should get the bucks not them, we as CNAS have to do all of the things we get like 15 patients they get like 6. How awful this hospital is not for CNAS 12 hr shift is not okay for CNAS you will kill your self. # only 30 min break, you don't get help, only 2 CNAS PER DAY! This is impossible to do both units when other cna is on break! #awful
Pros
food at cafeteria
Cons
short breaks, 12hr, only 2cnas per unit
A well run hospital where employees matter!
Director, Medical Staff Services (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 11, 2014
Quality and Customer Service are key components to making this hospital so successful. Employees are encouraged to be involved in decisionmaking in most all aspects of the hospital.
Many employees have been there for decades as the atmosphere is good, the benefits are good and the buildings and campus are well maintained and comfortable. It's a GREAT PLACE to work!