Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Exemplary work place, knowledgeable & proactive environment
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 24, 2015
We self schedule our hours, we self schedule our patients, we move swiftly with good productivity (103%), we learn and share new information daily during lunch breaks, management is very supportive, co-workers are professional and caring, the hardest part of the job is seeing a patient decline, the most enjoyable part of the day is seeing a patient progress home .
Pros
flexible hours, self scheduling, excellent benefits including PTO (paid time off)
Cons
chart reviews, inability to meet plan of care at times (missed visits)
Overworked & underpaid
Patient Transport (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 26, 2016
To say patient transport is hard would be an understatement. Many people look down on them and in my time of working there, I lost count how many times I heard "that's just the transporter". It felt very degrading as that is an imperative job to make that entire hospital run smoothly. Doctors order tests to be done by a certain time, who brings those patients? There were many days where it didn't matter how fast you moved, 25+ patients could be pending in the system which lead to many unhappy patients. Understaffed first shift which was always the busiest.

A typical day involved clocking in, logging into the Teletracking system and picking up a job. Once paged, you call the floor to see if the patient was ready. They either went by stretcher or bed. Get to the floor, get help, fill out and have their chart signed. It amuses me because I wish it were as easy as it was to write that out.

Two Very high expectations: If ever slow, you have to call the Teletracking every 3 minutes or you're written up. And the average transports must take under 20 minutes....

100% of the time, there is no telling what you're walking into when you get to the floor. Did the nurse tell them? Are they ready? Are they conscious? Demented? Anything broken? Did the nurse pull their meds yet? Are they soiled and need to be changed first? Do they walk? Is there Cna help? Are there proper sliding sheets available? Does an IR nurse have to go? Just these few things alone could delay a job by 15 minutes, and if a job would be rescheduled, it looked bad on our part and the receiving end would get mad.
  more...

There were a handful of nurses I absolutely adored and admired for their hard work, attentive nature, and respect towards Transport, their patients and the staff on their floor. However, there are more handfuls of nurses who couldn't be taken away from their charting. And how dare Transport bother them about anything regarding their patients. It was a very very unusual observation, as many spent years and thousands$ to care for people they couldn't care less about. I most certainly understand that being a nurse is mentally exhausting, but you should never let that get in the way of your performance.

The Transport management changed dramatically in my time of working there. It went downhill quickly and I still wasn't sure who my actual supervisor was on the day I left. I had 4 or 5 different "red shirts" with 20 different rules they followed and some times I really questioned their ability to hire quality people. I have never seen more people filter through an area. There were times I felt like I was in High School. All that mattered was getting a spot filled on the schedule, even when informed about their performance on the floor. It saddened me. Sitting behind nurses stations on their phone, flirting with Cnas, yelling at staff for taking too long, walking around with music playing on their phone, walking around cursing.

If you kept yourself under the radar and worked your butt off, life in transport was one heck of a job. There were chances for OT, after 6mo you get PTO but the pay was deplorable for the job itself. The base pay was just recently raised and the new hires are hired on what the "veterans" just got up to. I could make a list about all that was unfair in that department.

There were less than 5 people in that entire Transport department who were incredible human beings that were amazing at what they did. And there are over 60 people in it, if that tells you anything.

For a billion dollar company, they should strive for a billion dollar performance from one of the very underrated faces of what makes that place what it is.
Pros
It's not a desk job
Cons
Management, quality of coworkers, low paying
not the picture the painted as far as job culture goes
Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 19, 2015
great place to work if you are a nurse or above. Otherwise the culture stinks and people are regarded as replaceable. dis not feel as if i was ever doing enough in the eyes of management.
Pros
pto time
Cons
management
Public Safety Officer
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 24, 2016
This is NOT a security job. Hospital Police Force ! Taser certification, firearms training. Hands on physically restraining aggressive individuals. Work hand in hand with Medical Staff and Law Enforcement. However, pay does not reflect responsibilities or hazards.
Pros
PTO, Training with Law Enforcement
Cons
Low pay, no respect, promised pay increase rescinded
lacks ability to adapt to changing landscape
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 7, 2016
Worked for outpatient services. Patients are "snow birds" from up north. Demanding and inpatient. Overall culture is damp and stagnant. Hospital needs younger and more visionary leadership.
Pros
location
Cons
HCA and UHS (for profits) eating their lunch.
Trauma Center and ER work, very fast paced and great
Paramedic/Multi Skilled Technician/Trauma Team (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 12, 2015
My favorite job of all time. I loved my peers and management. I always felt valued as an employee and my opinions always mattered. I loved the Trauma Center experience and valued what each Dr brought to the table.
The most horrible experience in my life
Surgery dept (Former Employee) –  SurgeryApril 3, 2013
If you value your self respect and self worth and integrity,do not work for these morons. This place is a joke. Management just cares about there own little clicks.nurses that I worked with we're condescending and disrespectful.you are in fear of losing your job on a daily basis.no real raise for all the extra work. In fact money is taken away due to budget cut....but the workload is still overwhelming.short staff most of the time. I've never felt so let down. Don't believe the hype about this place being a great place to work. It may be in administration but for those who put in the long hours in the evening and on weekends, it's a prison sentence....the sad thing is that it could actually be a great place to work if not for the lousy supervisors(mostly women)
Pros
you get to say i work for smh
Cons
you work for smh. constantly, being reminded your lucky to have a job.i had a $1 of my pay taken away cause of their remodeling

Comment – May 3, 2013

I was going to leave a comment but now I don't have to, you summed it up for me. It's toxic there and it feels like a sorority gone bad. There are other rodeos in town that will pay more and their corporate culture is the opposite of SMH, (sorry mother of a hospital) where they are glad to have you not the other way around. I wonder how long before the marketing department pulls the only two negative comments down.

Amazing Team
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 25, 2016
Awesome group of people to work with. Also, a lot of resources available that make you job easier. Enjoying my time there.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Only 12 hour shifts for nurses
More than ten years ago and is probably no longer relevant
PEDIATRIC NURSE (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 14, 2015
I was an LPNII This was my first nursing position. I learned a great deal from my internship and co-workers. The hardest part of my job was learning on the job (at times). The best part of my job was seeing the children get better and be able to go home.
Pros
ability to advance my career
Great place to work!
Registered Pharmacy Technician II (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 24, 2015
Very fun hospital, employees are great, and management very good. This was a great place to gain experience in the anesthesia department pharmacy.
Pros
Great co-workers, fun environment, motivating management
productive work environment
Full time (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 6, 2015
Nice overall environment to work in very high paced and all work material available when needed. Team based atmosphere with friendly staff and management.
Stayed busy
Transpoter (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FlSeptember 30, 2015
Transported ill patients throughout the hospital. Assisted lost guest with directions. Safely moved patients from stretchers to tables and beds.
Pros
Stayed busy
Cons
full time benefits were not given until 6 months
Great coworkers there all family.
patient registration (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 29, 2015
It was so much fun working in the ER department, I got along great with every single coworker there. The hardest part of the job there was trying to collect copays, deposits etc.
Pros
Overtime was allowed.
Cons
Short breaks.
Clean and productive workplace
Food and Nutrition Employee (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 27, 2013
Working at SMH was quite a learning experience for me. I learned how to work in a fast paced medical environment, how to handle difficult people and I learned all about the dietary policies of a medical facility.
On a typical work day, I would arrive at 5am and start my duties. I was always on time with tasks, which really helped me excel. I was generally unhappy with the management due to them being unprofessional in various situations. My coworkers were helpful and honest and I overall enjoyed my experience working there.
Pros
decent benefits.
Cons
unprofessional management, long hours, no weekends
Fast Paced
LPN II (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 24, 2016
Great learning experience, Observation Unit is very fast paced. High turn over of patients. Great team work. Low patient to nurse ratio.
I like working there
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 12, 2015
I love the people i work with it is a great place to work. The hardest part of my job is I work nights and it seems like patients get more confused at night. So with confused patients its hard to get them to understand where they are and why.
Great place to work. Team work
Floor manager, Sharon Hamilton (Former Employee) –  float poolJuly 9, 2015
Charge nurses very helpful. Team work among staff. Hardest part long hours but typical for nursing. Best part Nurse / Patient ratio and very qualified nurses assistance on every floor.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Great place to work, I just would like leave my management role.
Pre-Analytical Manager, Laboratory Services (Current Employee) –  Sarasota FlJanuary 16, 2013
I am currently in charge of the safety for the laboratory. Also am the manager for about 50 phlebotomy staff that collect, process, and register patients for all aspects of lab testing. During a typical day, I help staff with registration problems, collection issues, evaluate and interview staff, review and write procedures, help nursing with staff education, attend safety committee meetings within the hospital, handle customer inquiries, and monitor day to day budget for 3 lab departments.

I am a type A person, who loves to be busy. This position has given me more than a few challenges, but the staff and management within the SMH system are great. I am just at a point that I need a change in the stress that goes along with this high paced position.

The hardest part of my job is keeping the phlebotomy staff. Unfortunately we do not have a lot of full time positions available so our highly trained staff are always finding jobs in doctors offices and other hospitals. Always happy for the staff, but it means that we have to start over with a new phlebot.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that the staff work together as a team. This organization strives to have all staff from phlebots to doctors adhere to the same set of standards for behaviors.
Pros
great facility and close to my home
Cons
long hours and since salaried no compensation.
Excellent Employer - Sarasota Memorial Hospital
Compensation and HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 1, 2012
There was no typical day at work for me. My position touched all areas of HR and my planned day could change in an instant. I was lucky enough to be part of the HR system implementation in 2000 and was sent to many PeopleSoft/Oracle HR system (Compensation, Benefits, Recruitment, and Payroll) courses. Management was always very supportive and encouraged education which helped my career growth tremendously. My position in HR included training new co-workers on the HR system, interpret hospital policy for compensation and benefits as needed and various other tasks including data retrieval as needed. I feel, if asked, they would describe me as a person that was very knowledgeable and easy to work with. The hardest part of my job was keeping a good balance between my HR duties and my HRIS duties because of logistics and reporting structure. Although my position reported directly to HR, my HRIS duties overlapped many projects with IT and Payroll. These three departments reported to three different VP's and were housed in three different locations. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with the employees at SMH. I was a very active participant during hospital events such as open enrollment, service banquets, and fund raising events.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, excellent benefits, and working directly with the employees.
Cons
nothing comes to mind at this time.
Favorite job ever
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 2, 2015
I absolutely loved working for Sarasota Memorial Hospital. All of the staff had such a positive attitude. A typical work day started collecting supplies, being assigned to a section, and figuring out which patients were nurse or lab draws. It was very easy to follow the standards and guidelines they enforced. The only reason I don't currently work there is because I was hired for a seasonal position. It has been my favorite job so far and would go back if given the opportunity.