Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Good benefits, good salary
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 12, 2016
Good pay, good benefits. Some advancement opportunities, but it's more about who you know than what you know. The culture can be very nepotic, almost every specialist is related to one another, or were close friends prior to becoming management.
Pros
Salary, benefits, insurance, etc. are all very good and very competitive. Fairly open to working with odd schedules, if you've worked there long enough. Lots of clinical positions open, lots of speciality positions open.
Cons
No rotating schedules, you're stuck on one shift. This can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it, but it also can lead to intershift conflict. Very stressful work environment, especially on second and third shift. There are some issues with lack of accountability, especially with employees who have been there a long time (favoritism is a big issue).
Sarasota - Patient Reg. Rep (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 24, 2016
once you're offered benefits, you're pretty much set.
They are very flexible with scheduling and everything is done by the books.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
Exemplary work place, knowledgeable & proactive environment
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 24, 2015
We self schedule our hours, we self schedule our patients, we move swiftly with good productivity (103%), we learn and share new information daily during lunch breaks, management is very supportive, co-workers are professional and caring, the hardest part of the job is seeing a patient decline, the most enjoyable part of the day is seeing a patient progress home .
Pros
flexible hours, self scheduling, excellent benefits including PTO (paid time off)
Cons
chart reviews, inability to meet plan of care at times (missed visits)
RN Surgical Services
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 14, 2016
Surgical Services is a difficult discipline to learn and takes many years to perfect. In the beginning, it was a tad difficult to "fit in." Some employees were territorial and no very accepting of a new employee. If one preserves, it turned into one of the greatest accomplishments of my career.
Pros
The diversity of all the different specialities.
Cons
Sometimes had to finish caseload much later than expected.
Can be a fun place to work
Psych tech (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Could be a very good learning experience for someone that wants to be in health care fund helping others but management it's not fair to workers not honest when things are done there's no warning it's just done that's not good half the time I don't think you see you know what's going on
Pros
Good lunches
Cons
Get brakes
Sarasota Memorial
Patient Safety Attendant (Per Diem) (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 14, 2016
Sarasota Memorial is a nice place to work. Management works with you and your schedule and everyone comes ready to work hard for the patients.
customer service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  saraotaNovember 2, 2016
Great facility great faculty between the on hands staff & mangers this company excels at customer service how ever without educationa & certification in medical it is really hard to expand & grow into a life long career
Pros
exellent customer service
Cons
must have certvaction & degree in medical
Busy and fun workplace
Registered Nurse, Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 14, 2016
I have never had a more fun job than working in the emergency room at sarasota memorial. We work hard, and never really have a quiet day, but the teamwork is phenomenal and we have a great team.
Great facility to work and advance in.
Respiratory Unit Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 16, 2016
Family oriented facility, with a group of team players. Working on Medicare/Medicaid, Plastic Surgery, Med. Surg., TBI's, Trachs, Vents, Peg tubes ,IV's, PT/INR draws. The hardest part of my job is when a patient passes away and the best part is when my vent patient patients are able to go home without a vent, trach or peg tube and knowing that i was a part of a team that helped get them to that point.
Pros
independent working and problem solving fostered
Overworked & underpaid
Patient Transport (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 26, 2016
To say patient transport is hard would be an understatement. Many people look down on them and in my time of working there, I lost count how many times I heard "that's just the transporter". It felt very degrading as that is an imperative job to make that entire hospital run smoothly. Doctors order tests to be done by a certain time, who brings those patients? There were many days where it didn't matter how fast you moved, 25+ patients could be pending in the system which lead to many unhappy patients. Understaffed first shift which was always the busiest.

A typical day involved clocking in, logging into the Teletracking system and picking up a job. Once paged, you call the floor to see if the patient was ready. They either went by stretcher or bed. Get to the floor, get help, fill out and have their chart signed. It amuses me because I wish it were as easy as it was to write that out.

Two Very high expectations: If ever slow, you have to call the Teletracking every 3 minutes or you're written up. And the average transports must take under 20 minutes....

100% of the time, there is no telling what you're walking into when you get to the floor. Did the nurse tell them? Are they ready? Are they conscious? Demented? Anything broken? Did the nurse pull their meds yet? Are they soiled and need to be changed first? Do they walk? Is there Cna help? Are there proper sliding sheets available? Does an IR nurse have to go? Just these few things alone could delay a job by 15 minutes, and if a job would be rescheduled, it looked bad on our part and the receiving end would get mad.
  more...

There were a handful of nurses I absolutely adored and admired for their hard work, attentive nature, and respect towards Transport, their patients and the staff on their floor. However, there are more handfuls of nurses who couldn't be taken away from their charting. And how dare Transport bother them about anything regarding their patients. It was a very very unusual observation, as many spent years and thousands$ to care for people they couldn't care less about. I most certainly understand that being a nurse is mentally exhausting, but you should never let that get in the way of your performance.

The Transport management changed dramatically in my time of working there. It went downhill quickly and I still wasn't sure who my actual supervisor was on the day I left. I had 4 or 5 different "red shirts" with 20 different rules they followed and some times I really questioned their ability to hire quality people. I have never seen more people filter through an area. There were times I felt like I was in High School. All that mattered was getting a spot filled on the schedule, even when informed about their performance on the floor. It saddened me. Sitting behind nurses stations on their phone, flirting with Cnas, yelling at staff for taking too long, walking around with music playing on their phone, walking around cursing.

If you kept yourself under the radar and worked your butt off, life in transport was one heck of a job. There were chances for OT, after 6mo you get PTO but the pay was deplorable for the job itself. The base pay was just recently raised and the new hires are hired on what the "veterans" just got up to. I could make a list about all that was unfair in that department.

There were less than 5 people in that entire Transport department who were incredible human beings that were amazing at what they did. And there are over 60 people in it, if that tells you anything.

For a billion dollar company, they should strive for a billion dollar performance from one of the very underrated faces of what makes that place what it is.
Pros
It's not a desk job
Cons
Management, quality of coworkers, low paying
Very productive work ethics
Registered Nurse, Emergency Room Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 3, 2016
I always enjoyed being part of the team at this institute. There was always a team plan and everyone always worked together to get the job done.
Pros
TEAM PLAYERS
Cons
HIGH ACUITY PATIENTS
Productive and laid back employer
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 31, 2016
The people I worked with were some of the hardest working people in my working history that I've had the pleasure of meeting. Great group of people to work with through the stress of hospital work.
The joy of working with children
mobile lead teacher (Current Employee) –  child care center 2 Sarasota, Fl.June 20, 2016
I work with mobile infants 6 months to 1 year. I really like this age they are like little sponges trying to learn everything. I love all the hugs and kisses. You need a strong team with this age because all sorts of things they are going thru ie: teething, crawling, trying new foods. I love working with children.
Pros
love watching them try new things
Cons
makes me sad when they have teething pain
The most horrible experience in my life
Surgery dept (Former Employee) –  SurgeryApril 3, 2013
If you value your self respect and self worth and integrity,do not work for these morons. This place is a joke. Management just cares about there own little clicks.nurses that I worked with we're condescending and disrespectful.you are in fear of losing your job on a daily basis.no real raise for all the extra work. In fact money is taken away due to budget cut....but the workload is still overwhelming.short staff most of the time. I've never felt so let down. Don't believe the hype about this place being a great place to work. It may be in administration but for those who put in the long hours in the evening and on weekends, it's a prison sentence....the sad thing is that it could actually be a great place to work if not for the lousy supervisors(mostly women)
Pros
you get to say i work for smh
Cons
you work for smh. constantly, being reminded your lucky to have a job.i had a $1 of my pay taken away cause of their remodeling
fun dun
Patient Registration (per diem (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 12, 2016
I really don't feel like explain myself just try and do it own your own your would like it and I think this over view is dumb I dint have time for that. but your may love the place
I love working here
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 4, 2016
I started as a graduate nurse here and I absolutely love it. I feel my needs are met as a nurse and they truly care about the well-being of the staff members here.
Pros
patient-nurse ratios
Cons
cafeteria food
lacks ability to adapt to changing landscape
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 7, 2016
Worked for outpatient services. Patients are "snow birds" from up north. Demanding and inpatient. Overall culture is damp and stagnant. Hospital needs younger and more visionary leadership.
Pros
location
Cons
HCA and UHS (for profits) eating their lunch.
Its a job
Central Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 6, 2016
unless you a trained professional in the medical field, you are looked down upon but others. Support staff in this hospital is not appreciated by Doctors or nurses.
Clean and productive workplace
Food and Nutrition Employee (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 27, 2013
Working at SMH was quite a learning experience for me. I learned how to work in a fast paced medical environment, how to handle difficult people and I learned all about the dietary policies of a medical facility.
On a typical work day, I would arrive at 5am and start my duties. I was always on time with tasks, which really helped me excel. I was generally unhappy with the management due to them being unprofessional in various situations. My coworkers were helpful and honest and I overall enjoyed my experience working there.
Pros
Decent benefits.
Cons
Unprofessional management, long hours, no weekends
Good place for learning above CNA position.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 18, 2016
Nice and good place for work, good coworkers, excellent costumer serves, good lunch and cafeteria, l learning to much in this hospital above CNA.
Pros
Good insurance

Sarasota Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location