Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Good
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 7, 2017
Great opportunity with great benefits offered. The atmosphere is good working with professional colleagues. The job in itself is great besides the long drive.
Pros
Good lunch offered
Cons
Drive
Good benefits
RN (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 3, 2017
The benefits are what has kept me there for many years. It is not an easy job. This is a magnet hospital with high expectations at SMH. Nurses are expected to get their BSN. New facility lots of different bedside jobs available for nurses.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hard to get ahead/lots of competition
Best place i have ever worked.
LPN 2 (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 29, 2017
Sarasota Memorial Hospital provided me an opportunity to learn how to be a better nurse. The educational opportunities are excellent with in house instructors who take the time with patience and understanding to teach.
Pros
The ECC is a team based nursing environment.
Positive
Compensation and HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 28, 2017
SMHCS was a wonderful employer that allowed me to learn and grow with the company. They paid tuition reimbursement and has a wonderful benefit package for all employees. 4000+ employees on staff with many off campus sites around Sarasota and Bradenton.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Retiree benefits eliminated
very productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 27, 2017
i learned a lot working here and in my opinion this experience will benefit me in the future. The people were very nice and it was great being able to see all of the different surgeries
Work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 27, 2017
A typical day at work is like working for a hospital. It is fast paced at times depending on the patients that are in need of help. Some places in the hospital is faster than others.
Nice
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 23, 2017
Nice place to wor and visit in need. Great hospital very clean. Very friendly staff. I'd give it five stars in a rating. Lab is effeciant and productive.
Tuition Reimbursent Policy is Poor
Nuse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 17, 2017
This is a magnet hospital and RNs need a minumum of a baccalaureate degree to work here. RNs hired with an associate's degree need to earn a BSN within three years per the contract when they are hired.

SMH's allotment for tuition reimbursement that's allowed per year is low compared to the cost of education, and in comparison, isn't that much more than what I received from a previous employer over 10 years ago. They only reimburse up to $200 per credit hour, which reflects in state tuition rate. If one chooses a private college, the most they can receive is $200 per credit hour. Subsequently, one may fall short of receiving the maximum amount the tuition policy allows by several hundred dollars.

The minimum grade that one is required to receive in order to receive tuition reimbursement is a "B". If a student experiences a particularly trying semester, and earns a "C" for example, he or she does not receive tuition reimbursement. This can he a deleterious impact and tuition reimbursement is factored into financial aid.

The unit that I work on is not willing to work with employee schedules to accommodate school schedules, even if the employee's request has minimal impact on the needs of the department. Co-workers have left the organization because of this.

I opted to not choose tuition reimbursement from SMH because of the stipulations and the fact that their policy benefits them in regards to paying out as little money as possible to the employee.
Pros
Hospital has a great reputation for patient care
Cons
The emphasis on advancing education is not suported by their policy and practice
Good place to learn as a nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bedside nurseAugust 17, 2017
Good place to learn as a nurse, supportive staff and management. Some favoritism exists between staff and management but I haven't worked at a place yet where that doesn't happen and I've been a nurse 10 years. Medical benefits are horrible and they are self insured hospital! Overall good experience glad I worked there however, I felt the longer I stayed the more I owed the hospital in medical bills. Had to leave.
Pros
Supportive and friendly staff, detailed policies, organized
Cons
Medical benefits
fast paced environment
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 16, 2017
made sure cleaning cart was stocked with proper materials for the entire shift. I learned how to prioritize to do things in a timely fashion. Management was very helpful, if I ever needed help or had a question they were willing to answer and help. The hardest part was making sure the task was completed at the highest potential. Over time with time management it became like second nature. The most enjoyable part involved working with a great team.
Cons
short breaks
very driven deadlines
Cath Lab Charge Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 16, 2017
do not enjoy working Holidays. Management has odd priorities.
management knowledge of actual job duties could greatly improve.
not really kind about being off sick
fast paced environment
Director, Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 26, 2017
High stress level, but was afforded the opportunity to learn many different aspects of Health Information Management and information systems. Implementing the electronic medical record was a challenging yet rewarding experience.
Smh review
Board Member (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 12, 2017
Excellent Hospital. Extremely well ran and superior patient care. Top-ranked in the nation on multiple levels of care. Magnet nursing hospital. Highly recommended place for employment and patient care.
not bad
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 5, 2017
I work or the nursing home. overall not a bad place to work. could improve in some areas. plenty of hours to pick up. good overall environment. 8 hour shifts
Nice place to work
Patient Safety Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota FloridaJune 18, 2017
Over all loved working there and would recommend to others. Hard time with breaks, but overall good place to be employed. Not sure what else your like me to say.. I enjoyed my job.
Cons
Hard to get lunch breaks
Excellent Internship Experience!
Cardio-Pulmonary Rehabilitation Internship (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 4, 2017
At SMH as an intern I gained the experience I needed to successfully continue my career as an Exercise Physiologist in the department of Cardiac Rehab.
it has its good points
Employee (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 18, 2017
the people are the reason to work there. some long time management need to be replaced. New management brings hope. competitive pay with good benefits
SMH is not what it seems. Great hospital, but not great to staff
RN ICU (Current Employee) –  Sarasota County, FLMay 11, 2017
SMH has earned great awards, and has strong nurses to earn this reputation. HR only supports management, not the regular staff. Very much a good-old-boy mentality in promoting staff. Promotions run rampant with favoritism, and there is a serious age discrimination with older staff.

Young RNs are favored here, and certain departments are run in a young, sorority favoritism spirit. I'm disappointed that there is no fair play and professional courtesy, despite the false reputation as such. Management & HR need to be seriously reviewed and swept clean in order to bring back a supportive, honest, warm culture that supports great nursing, not just the flavor of the month.

Salary for RNs are lower than the going rate. Very disappointing.
Great work place
Patient Care Transporter (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 28, 2017
Great working place I meet a lot good people by working in different areas of the hospital. Helping patient get ready for testing or surgeries or when their going home
Pros
the food different people
Cons
a lot walking
summary
Tele Rn (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 21, 2017
Recommends
Positive Outlook
I worked at Methodist Hospital full-time (More than a year)
Pros
Very comprehensive benefits, flexible hours and very nice people
Cons
Open 24 hours a day, so you might work night shift
Advice to Management
Keep up the good work!