Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Tuition Reimbursent Policy is Poor
Nuse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 17, 2017
This is a magnet hospital and RNs need a minumum of a baccalaureate degree to work here. RNs hired with an associate's degree need to earn a BSN within three years per the contract when they are hired.

SMH's allotment for tuition reimbursement that's allowed per year is low compared to the cost of education, and in comparison, isn't that much more than what I received from a previous employer over 10 years ago. They only reimburse up to $200 per credit hour, which reflects in state tuition rate. If one chooses a private college, the most they can receive is $200 per credit hour. Subsequently, one may fall short of receiving the maximum amount the tuition policy allows by several hundred dollars.

The minimum grade that one is required to receive in order to receive tuition reimbursement is a "B". If a student experiences a particularly trying semester, and earns a "C" for example, he or she does not receive tuition reimbursement. This can he a deleterious impact and tuition reimbursement is factored into financial aid.

The unit that I work on is not willing to work with employee schedules to accommodate school schedules, even if the employee's request has minimal impact on the needs of the department. Co-workers have left the organization because of this.

I opted to not choose tuition reimbursement from SMH because of the stipulations and the fact that their policy benefits them in regards to paying out as little money as possible to the employee.
Pros
Hospital has a great reputation for patient care
Cons
The emphasis on advancing education is not suported by their policy and practice
Good place to learn as a nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bedside nurseAugust 17, 2017
Good place to learn as a nurse, supportive staff and management. Some favoritism exists between staff and management but I haven't worked at a place yet where that doesn't happen and I've been a nurse 10 years. Medical benefits are horrible and they are self insured hospital! Overall good experience glad I worked there however, I felt the longer I stayed the more I owed the hospital in medical bills. Had to leave.
Pros
Supportive and friendly staff, detailed policies, organized
Cons
Medical benefits
fast paced environment
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 16, 2017
made sure cleaning cart was stocked with proper materials for the entire shift. I learned how to prioritize to do things in a timely fashion. Management was very helpful, if I ever needed help or had a question they were willing to answer and help. The hardest part was making sure the task was completed at the highest potential. Over time with time management it became like second nature. The most enjoyable part involved working with a great team.
Cons
short breaks
very driven deadlines
Cath Lab Charge Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 16, 2017
do not enjoy working Holidays. Management has odd priorities.
management knowledge of actual job duties could greatly improve.
not really kind about being off sick
fast paced environment
Director, Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 26, 2017
High stress level, but was afforded the opportunity to learn many different aspects of Health Information Management and information systems. Implementing the electronic medical record was a challenging yet rewarding experience.
Smh review
Board Member (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 12, 2017
Excellent Hospital. Extremely well ran and superior patient care. Top-ranked in the nation on multiple levels of care. Magnet nursing hospital. Highly recommended place for employment and patient care.
not bad
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 5, 2017
I work or the nursing home. overall not a bad place to work. could improve in some areas. plenty of hours to pick up. good overall environment. 8 hour shifts
Nice place to work
Patient Safety Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota FloridaJune 18, 2017
Over all loved working there and would recommend to others. Hard time with breaks, but overall good place to be employed. Not sure what else your like me to say.. I enjoyed my job.
Cons
Hard to get lunch breaks
Excellent Internship Experience!
Cardio-Pulmonary Rehabilitation Internship (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 4, 2017
At SMH as an intern I gained the experience I needed to successfully continue my career as an Exercise Physiologist in the department of Cardiac Rehab.
it has its good points
Employee (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 18, 2017
the people are the reason to work there. some long time management need to be replaced. New management brings hope. competitive pay with good benefits
SMH is not what it seems. Great hospital, but not great to staff
RN ICU (Current Employee) –  Sarasota County, FLMay 11, 2017
SMH has earned great awards, and has strong nurses to earn this reputation. HR only supports management, not the regular staff. Very much a good-old-boy mentality in promoting staff. Promotions run rampant with favoritism, and there is a serious age discrimination with older staff.

Young RNs are favored here, and certain departments are run in a young, sorority favoritism spirit. I'm disappointed that there is no fair play and professional courtesy, despite the false reputation as such. Management & HR need to be seriously reviewed and swept clean in order to bring back a supportive, honest, warm culture that supports great nursing, not just the flavor of the month.

Salary for RNs are lower than the going rate. Very disappointing.
Great work place
Patient Care Transporter (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 28, 2017
Great working place I meet a lot good people by working in different areas of the hospital. Helping patient get ready for testing or surgeries or when their going home
Pros
the food different people
Cons
a lot walking
summary
Tele Rn (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 21, 2017
Recommends
Positive Outlook
I worked at Methodist Hospital full-time (More than a year)
Pros
Very comprehensive benefits, flexible hours and very nice people
Cons
Open 24 hours a day, so you might work night shift
Advice to Management
Keep up the good work!
opportunity for advancement
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 18, 2017
able to purse other educational opportunities;develop friendships;adequate salary and benefits, room for grow in career ladder and educational opportunities presented
Reviewed
Staff Registered Nurse, Cardiovascular Thoracic (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 3, 2017
Sarasota Memorial Hospital is one of the best places Ive ever worked as an RN. It fosters teamwork. Resources are always available, Scheduling was always flexible.
Pros
Coworkers and location
Cons
Pay
ggreat job
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 24, 2017
Great place to work, provides lots of education, support, and good management team. Currently work in the ER which can be stressful, lots of support from co-workers.
Pros
great support
Cons
no lunch breaks
Love them
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 16, 2017
This was an amazing company to work for. Great staff, the management was great, team work was amazing. They also made it very easy to obtain help and information about furthering your education.
Being a hospital, it was a very fast paced career.
Clinical Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 14, 2017
In my position here I had many people above me and it made it a hectic work invironment. As to be expected in a Hospital. They pay was okay and the benefits were average.
Room for advancement
Multi Skilled Tech (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 14, 2017
I loved working for SMH, at times the work was stressfull, but we worked as a team. They will help advance your career if you plan on continue your education.
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
short breaks, even if your were able to get a break
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 13, 2017
Flexible hours and varying shifts.
Positive workplace culture and environment.
Organized management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was connecting with new people and the flexibility of work hours/shifts.
Pros
Hours/Shifts