Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Stae of the art hospital
Laboratory Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 14, 2017
The lab was supplied with state of the art equipment. Most people stayed until they retired, which was an incredible advantage to those who had 20 years of employment.
Pros
Great environment-involvement in the community
Cons
New CEO- cut many positions
Family feel
Manager, Patient Registration (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 9, 2017
The organization is great to work for. It is definite family feel from the C-suite down. Employees take pride and continually challenge themselves to be better than the previous day.
It was a wonderful place to work.
Health Unit Coordinator, Cardiac Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 7, 2017
I really enjoyed this position. And working as a team. At that time due to layoffs, I was offered a position in wound care, day shift. I had been working nights and could not fulfill that position at that time.
Pros
Can take on any task and help as a team member to help make sure everything is handled.
Cons
Really none. Just hate my position was abolished.
Very good company
Multi Skilled Tech (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 5, 2017
This is a huge organization and they treat their people well. The main benefit to working in the hospital is all the people you meet and have the opportunity to help.
Part time
Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 27, 2017
Registering patients was monotonous. Rarely had an opportunity to help any other staff or clinically and was segregated because front office are not clinical team members. However, pay was good and management was flexible with scheduling.
Pros
Pay
Cons
cut hours in "off season"
good work environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 26, 2017
Sarasota Memorial Hospital is a faced paced busy hospital. The management facilitates good nurse to patient ratios. There are great resources to provide good quality care at this facility. A lot of overtime offered if needed, health insurance is decent but only if you plan on seeing people in the sarasota area.
awesome
Managed Care Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 24, 2017
great management, productive work setting, location location . No micro management. good food in cafeteria. does a lot for the community. not much turnover
Good
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 7, 2017
Great opportunity with great benefits offered. The atmosphere is good working with professional colleagues. The job in itself is great besides the long drive.
Pros
Good lunch offered
Cons
Drive
Good benefits
RN (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 3, 2017
The benefits are what has kept me there for many years. It is not an easy job. This is a magnet hospital with high expectations at SMH. Nurses are expected to get their BSN. New facility lots of different bedside jobs available for nurses.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hard to get ahead/lots of competition
Best place i have ever worked.
LPN 2 (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 29, 2017
Sarasota Memorial Hospital provided me an opportunity to learn how to be a better nurse. The educational opportunities are excellent with in house instructors who take the time with patience and understanding to teach.
Pros
The ECC is a team based nursing environment.
Positive
Compensation and HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 28, 2017
SMHCS was a wonderful employer that allowed me to learn and grow with the company. They paid tuition reimbursement and has a wonderful benefit package for all employees. 4000+ employees on staff with many off campus sites around Sarasota and Bradenton.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Retiree benefits eliminated
very productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 27, 2017
i learned a lot working here and in my opinion this experience will benefit me in the future. The people were very nice and it was great being able to see all of the different surgeries
Work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 27, 2017
A typical day at work is like working for a hospital. It is fast paced at times depending on the patients that are in need of help. Some places in the hospital is faster than others.
Nice
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 23, 2017
Nice place to wor and visit in need. Great hospital very clean. Very friendly staff. I'd give it five stars in a rating. Lab is effeciant and productive.
Tuition Reimbursent Policy is Poor
Nuse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 17, 2017
This is a magnet hospital and RNs need a minumum of a baccalaureate degree to work here. RNs hired with an associate's degree need to earn a BSN within three years per the contract when they are hired.

SMH's allotment for tuition reimbursement that's allowed per year is low compared to the cost of education, and in comparison, isn't that much more than what I received from a previous employer over 10 years ago. They only reimburse up to $200 per credit hour, which reflects in state tuition rate. If one chooses a private college, the most they can receive is $200 per credit hour. Subsequently, one may fall short of receiving the maximum amount the tuition policy allows by several hundred dollars.

The minimum grade that one is required to receive in order to receive tuition reimbursement is a "B". If a student experiences a particularly trying semester, and earns a "C" for example, he or she does not receive tuition reimbursement. This can he a deleterious impact and tuition reimbursement is factored into financial aid.

The unit that I work on is not willing to work with employee schedules to accommodate school schedules, even if the employee's request has minimal impact on the needs of the department. Co-workers have left the organization because of this.

I opted to not choose tuition reimbursement from SMH because of the stipulations and the fact that their policy benefits them in regards to paying out as little money as possible to the employee.
Pros
Hospital has a great reputation for patient care
Cons
The emphasis on advancing education is not suported by their policy and practice
Good place to learn as a nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bedside nurseAugust 17, 2017
Good place to learn as a nurse, supportive staff and management. Some favoritism exists between staff and management but I haven't worked at a place yet where that doesn't happen and I've been a nurse 10 years. Medical benefits are horrible and they are self insured hospital! Overall good experience glad I worked there however, I felt the longer I stayed the more I owed the hospital in medical bills. Had to leave.
Pros
Supportive and friendly staff, detailed policies, organized
Cons
Medical benefits
fast paced environment
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 16, 2017
made sure cleaning cart was stocked with proper materials for the entire shift. I learned how to prioritize to do things in a timely fashion. Management was very helpful, if I ever needed help or had a question they were willing to answer and help. The hardest part was making sure the task was completed at the highest potential. Over time with time management it became like second nature. The most enjoyable part involved working with a great team.
Cons
short breaks
very driven deadlines
Cath Lab Charge Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 16, 2017
do not enjoy working Holidays. Management has odd priorities.
management knowledge of actual job duties could greatly improve.
not really kind about being off sick
fast paced environment
Director, Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 26, 2017
High stress level, but was afforded the opportunity to learn many different aspects of Health Information Management and information systems. Implementing the electronic medical record was a challenging yet rewarding experience.
Smh review
Board Member (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 12, 2017
Excellent Hospital. Extremely well ran and superior patient care. Top-ranked in the nation on multiple levels of care. Magnet nursing hospital. Highly recommended place for employment and patient care.