Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

fast pace job
PHLEBOTOMIST TECH 1 (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 8, 2017
A typical day of work would be either being on the floor and drawing blood from patients, or in the lab receiving specimens and processing them. It is a very very fast pace job' especially during season and not easy to get sed to at first! ive learned a great deal, from patient care, to learning something new in the health system. I would say the hardest part of the job is exposing yourself to cdiff, mrsa, etc. (of course we take precautions.) i love it here, Im just looking for a new job because i need the benefits and its taken years and still nothing so im thinking of somewhere new...
Pros
a great way to gain experience
Cons
takes way too long to get benefits
Overall great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 3, 2017
Overall I'd say its a great place to work and I love it. Great culture of care and benefits. I work on a great unit with awesome support and management. This year though, the hospital as a whole did a lot of hiring for the busy season and now some of us are actually losing hours, as opposed to last year when we were all picking up some great over time. They will hopefully see the unrest and frustration in their full time employees though and make some changes soon.
Employees are great, upper management is not
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 22, 2016
I love the people I work with, but the management at the director level and up leaves much to be desired. They are very deceitful and play favorites, at least on the unit where I work. I have worked on other units where it was not so bad, but the favoritism seems to be everywhere.
Pros
great benefits, great people to work with
Cons
Poor upper leadership, need to focus more on patient care and the people who provide it
excellent place to work
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 8, 2017
Although the Laboratory Management Team changed while I was employed, the changes were for the best. This company provides job advancement and opportunities for its employees.
Pros
excellent benefits and job culture
Cons
5 year management turnover rate
Great Place to work
Certified Registered Nurse Infusionist (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 27, 2017
I do not have anything bad to say! Management is great, coworkers are team players. Benefits are exceptional. It is a great place to work.The hardest part is the politics that come with a hospital environment and the long days.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
short breaks
Nice place to get experience!
Phlebotomist Tech III (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 7, 2017
Nice place, very good co-workers, good managers. Good opportunity for someone with no experience, they are very helpful with new employees. Do your work and you are in peace.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Lot's of stress
Being a hospital, it was a very fast paced career.
Clinical Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 14, 2017
In my position here I had many people above me and it made it a hectic work invironment. As to be expected in a Hospital. They pay was okay and the benefits were average.
Great Hospital
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 12, 2017
Good hospital to work for, but it is rare to be hired for anything but prn positions. Good luck on benefits, but the pay compensates for it.
Good benefits, good salary
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 12, 2016
Good pay, good benefits. Some advancement opportunities, but it's more about who you know than what you know. The culture can be very nepotic, almost every specialist is related to one another, or were close friends prior to becoming management.
Pros
Salary, benefits, insurance, etc. are all very good and very competitive. Fairly open to working with odd schedules, if you've worked there long enough. Lots of clinical positions open, lots of speciality positions open.
Cons
No rotating schedules, you're stuck on one shift. This can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it, but it also can lead to intershift conflict. Very stressful work environment, especially on second and third shift. There are some issues with lack of accountability, especially with employees who have been there a long time (favoritism is a big issue).
Sarasota - Patient Reg. Rep (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 24, 2016
once you're offered benefits, you're pretty much set.
They are very flexible with scheduling and everything is done by the books.
Pros
great coworkers
Overrated
Patient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Urgent CareJanuary 7, 2017
I found jealous workers, gossip, employees not wanting to work as a team and ineffective management. What was even worse, nurses talking about a patients medical issues in the exam room to other employees which is against HIPPA. Several employees holding the bathroom door handle so another employee could not get out of the bathroom. A kindergarten environment instead of a professional environment. Communication is extremely poor among management. Work 12 hour days with no breaks not even to eat.
Training poor, went from 6 days to 4 days and cram everything and expect employees to know everything the first day on the job.
Pros
one free lunch
Cons
over rated employer, see above
Great Compeny
Medical Assistant- Psychiatric Safety Attendant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 15, 2016
Great place to work. Good culture. Decent Pay. Room for advancement. Good Management. Diverse work group. Good hospital!!
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Private pay is better than at the hospital for may positions
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 13, 2017
Flexible hours and varying shifts.
Positive workplace culture and environment.
Organized management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was connecting with new people and the flexibility of work hours/shifts.
Pros
Hours/Shifts
ok place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 10, 2016
people you work with are great..... Management is more about numbers than caring for patients. Breaks are bare minimum. You are lucky if you get to eat after being there 8 hours
Pros
co-workers
Cons
short breaks
RN Surgical Services
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 14, 2016
Surgical Services is a difficult discipline to learn and takes many years to perfect. In the beginning, it was a tad difficult to "fit in." Some employees were territorial and no very accepting of a new employee. If one preserves, it turned into one of the greatest accomplishments of my career.
Pros
The diversity of all the different specialities.
Cons
Sometimes had to finish caseload much later than expected.
Great learning experience
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 26, 2017
Great learning experience with great leadership.

Compiled, processed and maintained medical records in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements of the health care system
Reviewed records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations
Maintained and operated a variety of health record indexes and retrieval systems to collect, classify, store and analyze information
Room for advancement
Multi Skilled Tech (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 14, 2017
I loved working for SMH, at times the work was stressfull, but we worked as a team. They will help advance your career if you plan on continue your education.
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
short breaks, even if your were able to get a break
Good
Radiologic Technologist PRN ARRT Certified (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 22, 2017
It was a good company to work for. Sufficient training, supportive management. Great co-workers. Pay was comparable with other RT jobs in the area.
Pros
flexible
Cons
It's busy, rarely any down time
Can be a fun place to work
Psych tech (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Could be a very good learning experience for someone that wants to be in health care fund helping others but management it's not fair to workers not honest when things are done there's no warning it's just done that's not good half the time I don't think you see you know what's going on
Pros
Good lunches
Cons
Get brakes
Busy and fun workplace
Registered Nurse, Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 14, 2016
I have never had a more fun job than working in the emergency room at sarasota memorial. We work hard, and never really have a quiet day, but the teamwork is phenomenal and we have a great team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Sarasota Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location