Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work. Team work
Floor manager, Sharon Hamilton (Former Employee) –  float poolJuly 9, 2015
Charge nurses very helpful. Team work among staff. Hardest part long hours but typical for nursing. Best part Nurse / Patient ratio and very qualified nurses assistance on every floor.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
This manager and these RNs on Short Stay are HORRIBLE to work for!
LPN II (Former Employee) –  Medical Short StayJune 27, 2013
These people don't want a nurse, they want a SLAVE! The RNs are so lazy they would rather play on their laptops or surf the internet or Facebook than take care of their own patients. They don't even want to answer their own call lights, they would prefer the LPN slave to do it. The MSTs on the floor are no better, they treat the LPN as their slave too and insist they help them do all their work. If you should apply to this position and decide to say no one night, beware, they will be even nastier to you and eventually have you fired.
Pros
i learned that there are better places to work in smh
Cons
the managers over short stay and meckler admissions= horrible
Magnet hospital not living up to its ideals
Emergency Room Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 20, 2013
Although the management talks a lot about how nurses opinions are valued, it doesn't really seem to play out that way in reality. The hospital has a long history of caring for the community but it appears the recent financial downturn has hurt it's overall ability to keep nursing staff and techs happy.

My co-workers are great, the management not so much-I am certain my manager still doesn't even know my name after a significant period of time. If you are counting on a hospital that is truely different from others don't bother with this one, however, it isn't worse than the average either.
Pros
allow for pay differential for bsn and msn
Cons
almost no 15 minute breaks, lucky if get lunch break, health insurance is not good if you don't plan to live near the hospital.
SMH is a big friendly bunch
Patient registration representative (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 2, 2014
As in every workplace there are pros and cons. Pros are SMH will genuinely look like they are happy to gain you as an employee, training is extensive and hands on. ER, where I am at, can be at times overwhelming, but you are independent in sense you work on your own and can set your own priorities. Cons is you are being micro managed. Even though you are on your own, the little constant no's to every way you look are unbearable. When at work I want to be treated like a responsible adult and it feels like I'm seen as a child.

The team is great, everyone friendly and helpful. I've definitely learned the importance of a team and importance of communication within it. There are possibilities to advance but not a whole lot within the department I'm in.Therefore, its probably best for someone who's not looking for far reaching advancement. Team lead is probably the end of line. Which is not a whole lot higher in pay.

Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing someone in distress smile because you've been there for them to make them feel at ease.
was a great learning opportunity
LPN (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 4, 2012
I worked at SMH for 4 years all on a cardiac progressive step down CICU unit. I learned telemetry, Care of the post bypass patient, care and management of chest tubes, Code procedures, I became ACLS certified. I floated a lot to the wound care units, and the entire time I was there, I was learning. I enjoyed my job, until my husband had to leave town after Hurricaine Andrew decimated Miami, and I was working nights and needed to transfer to Days, but there were no available positions, so I had to leave to obtain day care for my 5 month old daughter and 5 year old son
Pros
great learning opportunity
Cons
working nights, difficulty sleeping during the day
Productive work place
Health Unit Coordinator / Psych Tech / C N A (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Nice company to work for, no much advancement, needs better management.
Pros
loved helping patients
Cons
short breaks, management
Favorite job ever
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 2, 2015
I absolutely loved working for Sarasota Memorial Hospital. All of the staff had such a positive attitude. A typical work day started collecting supplies, being assigned to a section, and figuring out which patients were nurse or lab draws. It was very easy to follow the standards and guidelines they enforced. The only reason I don't currently work there is because I was hired for a seasonal position. It has been my favorite job so far and would go back if given the opportunity.
Horrible Management/ No team work
Phelebotomist/ CNA (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 14, 2014
A typical work day consists of drawing am labs, after run you ether are assigned to a section of the hospital or you are working receiving specimens in the lab. I really enjoyed my job and was very good at it. I liked that everyday was a new experience , unfortunately lack of team work and very very bad management as well as starting at 5am and not getting a break sometimes until 10:30 or 11am made me decide to look elsewhere.
Pros
saying you work for sarasota memorial
Cons
bad team work, negative coworkers, bad management, favor ism
Great Place if you love helping others and like working in a fast pace enviroment
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 24, 2014
Very busy long days at work. I learned a lot when i worked at the hospital. The management usually stayed on top of things. Most co- workers were helpful. The hardest part about the job was the patient load. The most enjoyable part about this job was that i met a lot of people. i loved working on my floor even though it was it challenging. i also enjoyed learning new things about healthcare.
Pros
i always worked with great cna
Cons
patient load
I worked in patient registration and the biggest problem is management .
Patient registration dept (Former Employee) –  SarasotaDecember 7, 2014
working conditions are extremely stressful. The main focus is on collecting money not cultivating patient satisfaction. The issue is bad management and misdirected priorities. A new management team could breathe some new life into the pat reg dept. I would stay away from here!!
Pros
pretty good pay
Cons
poor management and favoritism.
Best Place to work
ultrasound (Former Employee) –  sarasota,flMay 4, 2013
Typical day at work was productive but the people made it enjoyable. Radiologist were great always ready to teach and keep you up to date on new advancements. My co-workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job I would say is you do stay busy. The most enjoyable part was someone was always willing to give you a hand if needed. I have worked at many hospitals and I will say this is hands down the best hospital I have ever worked for.
Pros
the enviroment, the people, oh yeah and starbucks
Cons
short breaks
decent place to work
cart tech (Current Employee) –  Sarasota Memorial HospitalMarch 9, 2015
I have no complaints. I come in do my work and go home. Management leaves me alone to do my work in peace so I'm happy. Wish they paid me more, that's pretty much my only beef.
A well run hospital where employees matter!
Director, Medical Staff Services (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 11, 2014
Quality and Customer Service are key components to making this hospital so successful. Employees are encouraged to be involved in decisionmaking in most all aspects of the hospital.
Many employees have been there for decades as the atmosphere is good, the benefits are good and the buildings and campus are well maintained and comfortable. It's a GREAT PLACE to work!
greta place to work
pct cna (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 10, 2015
Busy all the time but my co workers are great , team players always willing to help. The doors of the managers always open when you need
Pros
great people
Cons
expensive the food
Overwhelming job
RN (Current Employee) –  SRQFebruary 16, 2015
I'm an RN and I think we have too many patients. I take a 20 minute lunch break at about 3 PM, when I'm lucky. Otherwise I starve. When I have a lazy PCT, I get out of work a half hour late.

My typical day starts when I arrive 1/2 hour early to wade through the terrible electronic medical record to try to figure out what I need to do today (unpaid, they won't pay us to come in early, but it's impossible to do the job without this heads-up). Then they regularly change a patient when my shift starts, so I end up behind right away (didn't look that one up). Then I see the patients, and go on the Great Med Hunt because the machines are empty, or the patient is on something weird that we don't have stocked. Don't get me started on the docs, they're nasty. Thankfully, their PA's and NP's are usually nice.

Once I get some experience, I'm moving back up north to a UNIONIZED hospital. We are overworked here. I'll have to pay $5,000 for breaking the contract, though. They enslave RNs to contracts, that's the only way they can hang onto them.
Pros
pay is good for fl, lower than tampa area though, 1 day paid time off a month
Cons
won't match your 401b contribution unless you stay 5 years, rns and pcts have too many patients
Great fun place to work. Super co-workers
Senior Clinic Nurse - Gulf Gate Walk-In Clinic (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 3, 2013
Loved being charge nurse. Learned to do different lab testing was very interesting. Management very supportive. Co-workers were the greatest. Loved taking care of all the patients. Hardest part of the job was the 90 mile round trip from home to work.
Pros
loved being a charge nurse
Cons
travel
It was great and I miss it
ER Radiology imagining Assistant (RIA) (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 28, 2013
The job was very rewarding and the people were great to work with. Their was a scare for some people, as for lay offs, but other than that if you do your job you should be fine. They work with people that are in school.
Pros
benefits, work schedules
Cons
its busy and stressful at times, but nothing that you wouldn't expect in a hospital's er
Sarasota Memorial Hospital great place to work. Supportive staff
Utilization Review Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 3, 2014
My typical day at work is reviewing Observation patients and determining if they can meet inpatient status, then notifying Physicians that their patient meets inpatient status. I will then review patient flags for core measeures and apply banners if applicable. Then I will review all patients and determine if they still meet criteria for continued stay based on Milliman or Inter-Qual. I will speak with Social Worker and or Care Coordinator and discuss patients ongoing issues, placement issues and or difficult placement.
Pros
can advance
Cons
low pay
Pedal to the Metal
Interventional Radiology RN (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 9, 2014
Extremely disorganized, poor management, but if you can work around that.... the co-workers for 65% of the time are very professional and helpful. Our Physicians are the greatest and I love working with them!
Recently hired too many unskilled workers so as for that, much to much talk goes along with workers who feel insecure! Environment is much to busy for appropriately training staff. No education or competencies are required for any RN or Tech?? Concerning at best, and it has been verbalized many times by the staff members.

The worst part of the position is dealing with Managers who have been there 30+ years and are extremely controlling, disrespectful, and sometimes just degrading!
The best part of the job is working with 3 awesome Interventional Radiologist who know what they are doing, are on a first name basis with you and respect you and your opinions.
The CEO resigned and I believe that as new blood is brought into the facility things can work their way up.
Typical working days start at 6am and end around 7:30pm. Our call teams work one week on... and 6 weeks off, We all love that.
If you are very experienced and have a strong backbone, you can survive the working conditions.
Pros
awesome physicians
Cons
rarely do you get breaks, eat standing at the door of the procedure room and rarely a break to relieve yourself
Productive and fun place to work
ER Tech (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 27, 2015
I worked in the emergency room and it is always busy from the time the 12 hrs shift started.learned a lot and hope to be given the opportunity to work ER again absolutely loved it.
Pros
Education reimbursement
Cons
12 hrs shift

Sarasota Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location