Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Great nurses to work with!
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 25, 2015
Great clinical staff, always willing to help and fun to work with. Working 3-12hr shifts left time for other things. Very fast paced work environment.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Long days
decent place to work
cart tech (Current Employee) –  Sarasota Memorial HospitalMarch 9, 2015
I have no complaints. I come in do my work and go home. Management leaves me alone to do my work in peace so I'm happy. Wish they paid me more, that's pretty much my only beef.
......
Health Information (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 1, 2015
I have enjoyed my time at Sarasota Memorial. I have found the HIM department has had some of the highest turn over of the entire hospital.
Overwhelming job
RN (Current Employee) –  SRQFebruary 16, 2015
I'm an RN and I think we have too many patients. I take a 20 minute lunch break at about 3 PM, when I'm lucky. Otherwise I starve. When I have a lazy PCT, I get out of work a half hour late.

My typical day starts when I arrive 1/2 hour early to wade through the terrible electronic medical record to try to figure out what I need to do today (unpaid, they won't pay us to come in early, but it's impossible to do the job without this heads-up). Then they regularly change a patient when my shift starts, so I end up behind right away (didn't look that one up). Then I see the patients, and go on the Great Med Hunt because the machines are empty, or the patient is on something weird that we don't have stocked. Don't get me started on the docs, they're nasty. Thankfully, their PA's and NP's are usually nice.

Once I get some experience, I'm moving back up north to a UNIONIZED hospital. We are overworked here. I'll have to pay $5,000 for breaking the contract, though. They enslave RNs to contracts, that's the only way they can hang onto them.
Pros
Pay is good for FL, lower than Tampa area though, 1 day paid time off a month
Cons
Won't match your 401B contribution unless you stay 5 years, RNs and PCTs have too many patients
Good company
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 2, 2015
I enjoyed my tenure at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. I worked there for 17 years and met a lot of people. It was a good experience.
great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota Fl.January 23, 2015
Direct patient care on a rehab unit- labor intensive.
Masters degree for Western Governors University.

Preceptor of new nurses at Medical University of South Carolina
Mentor in the residency program for new nurses.

Nurse of the year 2011 and 2012
a typical day at work
Dietary Cold Prepping,some Cooking and Baking (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 21, 2015
Do your work, Do your work, Fair Management, Some were very nice, You had to long way to what you need to work with,Geting job done.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Healthcare Good
Great Hospital
RN (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 21, 2015
Nice hospital, friendly staff, managers actually help out when needed and concern is shown for employees and patients. people smile.
Pros
Happy place, nice location, beaches
Cons
High census, lots of elderly
like the job just needing something closer to home
MST/CNA/HUC II/CMT (Current Employee) –  FLJanuary 16, 2015
great place to work. exceptional staff to work with. gained skills in taking care of CVICU/ICU/NPCU pt's. Very busy and fast paced with the ability to juggle desk work as well as patient care duties. IE: bathing, monitoring pt heart rhythm.
Pros
gained skills
Cons
diving hour and half to work
I really enjoyed this job
Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  1700 South TrailJanuary 14, 2015
This was A wonderful experience for me I am very upset with myself for not keeping this one.
Cons
I worked in patient registration and the biggest problem is management .
Patient registration dept (Former Employee) –  SarasotaDecember 7, 2014
working conditions are extremely stressful. The main focus is on collecting money not cultivating patient satisfaction. The issue is bad management and misdirected priorities. A new management team could breathe some new life into the pat reg dept. I would stay away from here!!
Pros
Pretty good pay
Cons
Poor management and favoritism.
Friendly work environment
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 3, 2014
A typical day at work for anyone in health care is unpredictable, but one could say that this facility offered resources well enough to deal with the most troubling of situations. Management, especially in the beginning, was very easy to talk to and would always discuss issues in private, which I find to be an important quality.
Pros
Decent PRN pay
Cons
At times social aggregates would form
Sarasota Memorial Hospital great place to work. Supportive staff
Utilization Review Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 3, 2014
My typical day at work is reviewing Observation patients and determining if they can meet inpatient status, then notifying Physicians that their patient meets inpatient status. I will then review patient flags for core measeures and apply banners if applicable. Then I will review all patients and determine if they still meet criteria for continued stay based on Milliman or Inter-Qual. I will speak with Social Worker and or Care Coordinator and discuss patients ongoing issues, placement issues and or difficult placement.
Pros
Can advance
Cons
Low pay
Hospital was very fair to the employees
Patient Registration/Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 24, 2014
I enjoyed my years at the hospital. Seeing and helping patients is so rewarding.
I enjoy working at the Cape surgery Center.
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 10, 2014
Great people to work with.Everyone is highly skilled and very personable.The atmosphere is professional and enjoyable.
Pros
It is a magnet system. Great management support.
Cons
Total worked hours vary being per diem employee.
Patient care tech
Cna- mst (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 12, 2014
Great place to work if your a nurse who's making the big bucks and they don't do as much as we do which sucks we should get the bucks not them, we as CNAS have to do all of the things we get like 15 patients they get like 6. How awful this hospital is not for CNAS 12 hr shift is not okay for CNAS you will kill your self. # only 30 min break, you don't get help, only 2 CNAS PER DAY! This is impossible to do both units when other cna is on break! #awful
Pros
Food at cafeteria
Cons
Short breaks, 12hr, only 2cnas per unit
SMH is a big friendly bunch
Patient registration representative (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 2, 2014
As in every workplace there are pros and cons. Pros are SMH will genuinely look like they are happy to gain you as an employee, training is extensive and hands on. ER, where I am at, can be at times overwhelming, but you are independent in sense you work on your own and can set your own priorities. Cons is you are being micro managed. Even though you are on your own, the little constant no's to every way you look are unbearable. When at work I want to be treated like a responsible adult and it feels like I'm seen as a child.

The team is great, everyone friendly and helpful. I've definitely learned the importance of a team and importance of communication within it. There are possibilities to advance but not a whole lot within the department I'm in.Therefore, its probably best for someone who's not looking for far reaching advancement. Team lead is probably the end of line. Which is not a whole lot higher in pay.

Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing someone in distress smile because you've been there for them to make them feel at ease.
The best Respiratory Department in the World!
Respiratory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 18, 2014
I have been employed here for 31 years. It is a family type atmosphere amongst everyone who works there. There is a new and improved flow to patient care right from the moment a patient and family arrive to be personally escorted.
Productive work place
Health Unit Coordinator / Psych Tech / C N A (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Nice company to work for, no much advancement, needs better management.
Pros
Loved helping patients
Cons
short breaks, management
Extremely talented co-workers
Unit Secretary/PCA (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 25, 2014
Answer phones directing them to the best individuals to answer the calls. Helping doctors locate much needed documents. Being able to multitask with answering phones, intercom, doctors request for labs or missing records and answer worried patients family members questions was always a challenge but felt great at the end of the day when everyone involved gave cudos to eachother for a job well done
Pros
3 day work week
Cons
sad when the day did not go well with what were were hoping for in outcome

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Sarasota Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location