Job Title: Planer Supervisor
Reports to: Operations Manager
Wage: Commensurate with experience. Expected to be $4,000 - $5,000 per month.
Position Purpose: To lead the planer team in achieving production and performance goals while maintaining a safe environment. The position is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the planer facility and processes from unloading the kiln, planning and grading the lumber and inventorying and loading the finish product.
1. Proven ability to operate and troubleshoot planer equipment.
2. Promote safety and production of a quality product.
3. Coach, train, and support team members to maximize performance.
4. Engage all employees to provide valuable input into work processes and systems.
5. Hiring and training planer employees while promoting team work and quality outcomes.
6. Willing to learn and have an understanding of finished lumber sizes/length, grades, package sizes and dry kiln process.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Special projects as needed.
Work Environment//Physical & Mental Demands/Skills:
Work Environment: indoor/outdoor; ambient temperature; noisy environment; subject to oil/grease/dust.
Personnel Protective Equipment required: safety glasses, work boots, gloves, hearing protection and hard hat.
Physical & Mental Demands:
Physical Demands - Worker will bend, twist, squat, grasp, push/pull using waist, shoulders, arms, hands, and wrists to perform a variety of tasks and use a variety of hand and power tools. Stand, kneel and walk continuously. Climb stairs/ladders. Lift and carry up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
Mental demands - Organize and coordinate work projects; problem solving. Must be able to concentrate in a noisy environment, deal with frequent interruptions, juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines, and exercise independent judgment to determine what action needs to be taken to keep downtime to a minimum.
Communication skills - must be able to communicate effectively with management and employees via face to face meetings, radio, and telephone regarding troubleshooting, preventive maintenance, safety, etc. Must be able to write effectively and to use a combination of written and verbal communication skill to communicate job hazards, training information and other supervisory matters. Ability to communication in Spanish as well as English is a plus.
Must be self-directed in identifying and efficiently completing each task in a safe manner.
Steel toed boots.
1. Must have a minimum of 2 years experience as a supervisor in a production environment.
2. Must have a minimum of 5 years experience demonstrating a proven ability to operate and trouble shoot sawmill planer equipment.
3. Individual will be required to maintain a Forklift authorization certificate.
4. Must maintain a Current First Aid/CPR card.
5. Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug screening and random drug testing after hire.
6. Excellent interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills.
7. Proven leadership abilities and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Mail to PO Box 1209 Saratoga, WY 82331