Saratoga Roofing and Construction Employee Reviews in United States

good pay poor management lack of communication unorganized
DOT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 10, 2015
Lack of communication poor management, trucks not maintained at 100% because of them being stingy with their money, for OTR long distance deliveries and have to deal about getting a citation in the wiegh stations because of lack of maintenance. Stingy management same with owners. Pros, Pay was good pier diem every night out. Cons, struggled with hotel reservations since work trucks with 48ft trailers dont fit in any hotel parking the more you told them to check if they had truckand trailer parking the more they cared less and booked a hotel with no trailer parking and had to find parking 5 blocks away and walk to the hotel ridiculous, and they were also stingy with hotels cheap bed bug hotels dot drivers drove 11 hours a day worked 14 total hours a day and had to sleep in a infested dirty rooms, cheapos!! They dont care about thier employees they act like they do but they dont many workers got laid off without any weeks of noticed in advanced took them to the office and bam layed them off like nothing, hard work and sweet and well job done for this company and for them to just lay people of like nothing that should tell you everything about this stingy bad company!!!
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management, lack of communication, unorganized
Compensation and Benefits are great - That's about all.
Administration (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 26, 2015
The Company had serious potential at one point. Continuous frittering away of finances has resulted in the Company not being able to pay their vendors. Management's solution to that problem was to find more investors and/or borrow more money. Eventually that caught up with the Company and vendor accounts started being frozen or closed, Gas cards being shut off and field technicians not being able to buy fuel, Credit cards being shut off and employees becoming stranded or kicked out of their hotel rooms. All of this mismanagement has led to a company-wide layoff of approximately 15 employees on 05/18/2015.
A day consists of putting out fires and consistent re-direction. Management offers little direction and there are very few processes in place to get tasks completed. Individual employees must figure out the steps to complete their project tasks on their own. Coming in early each day and staying late is expected and passive/aggressive comments are made if employees leave right at 5 pm. Weekend availability is also expected and an employee can expect a reprimand if they are unavailable on the weekends or do not answer their phones on the weekends.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No management direction, No training
Collaborative Culture that Values Autonomy
Operations (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 19, 2015
A typical day at work includes wearing lots of different hats to solve lots of different problems. By far the most challenging and growth-oriented position I've held at any company.

Top management is a collocation of extreme vision and careful consideration, which can at times be both exhilarating and exasperating! The end result of this combination is great management and solid decision making, which is clearly marked by impressive growth in a short period of time.

Co-workers are friendly and engaging, and contrary to other places I've worked, truly want to see one another succeed. Problems are solved together, often through long hours and late nights.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining boundaries for a healthy work-life balance. Some of us do it well, some of us do not. In the end, it is a personal decision but as other reviewers mentioned, the current company culture rewards long hours, whether intentional or not.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the autonomy and flexibility to create my own growth path and to truly see my fingerprints on some of the successes of the organization.

The Company absolutely believes in promoting from within and nearly everyone around me has held at least one other role than their current position. I would recommend Saratoga Roofing & Construction to anyone looking to break out of the corporate bubble and be in charge of their career success story.
Pros
autonomy, lack of corporate politics, compensation
Cons
work-life balance, no onsite workout facility
Unorganized development and direction for employees
Operations Department (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKSeptember 18, 2014
Was given goals and projects to develop and work towards, promised promotions and laid off shortly after with no reasonable explanation. The company markets as very ethical and Christian based although the behind the scenes expectations and treatment of employees is poor. Poor training, communication, no job security and HIGH turnover.
Pros
salary
Cons
poor direction with rapid changes, no job security

Comment – January 14, 2015

No training, long hours, under appreciated. Says they are Christian based but not true. Extremely high turnoer of great employees.

Expanding and learning in a growing environment
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 16, 2013
Saratoga Roofing and Construction is a company that has great values and morals. The organization is Christian based and family oriented. A typical day varies but one day I could be going to a variety of job sites to do safety audits . The other days I could be assisting in training OSHA 10 classes, working in insurances cases, DOT compliance, developing polices and procedures, setting up occupational medical clinics or working on different process to mitigate hazards. The co-workers are very personable and go out of their way to get to know you. The most difficult part about the job is that is a fairly new company so things are moving quickly at all new developments. The most enjoyable part is that there is opportunity to grow at a fast pace and that no day is the same.
Pros
pay for training, flexible schedules
Cons
long hours, no stocks, and undeveloped

Comment – January 14, 2015

The above author obviously is not aware of genuine of what really great values are. For a company that "honors God," sorry, they honor the god of this world as they cheat people out of money and lie to get what they want. They do not honor the family life of their employees or their employees for that matter. Applicant beware. If you do not want a life outside of this company, you will fit in well,

No option for 0 stars? What a shame.
Production (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 5, 2015
In a nutshell, this company is toxic for most employees. There is zero respect for employees and there is zero consideration of the fact that employees may possibly have a life or a family outside of work. You eat, sleep and breathe Saratoga or you deal with the negative consequences.

Management is a joke. There are no true managers. There are 3 true executives (the CEO, the President and the COO) and they make all of the decisions. Typically a week or more after the decision actually needed to have been made. You could get hired on as a manager or a department head & be told you will have the authority to make decisions about x, y or z but watch out...if you actually dare to make a decision about x, y or z you will be incessantly undermined, belittled and/or berated for doing so. Managers are just people to throw under the bus when executive decisions lead to problems.

Vendors and subs don't get paid in a timely manner, or sometimes at all. It is not uncommon for company credit cards and/or fuel cards to get shut down for non-payment, leaving field personnel stuck without fuel, materials, tools and/or lodging or leaving traveling employees paying for their own rental cars, etc. after having been told it was "all taken care of".

Nepotism is also a fun issue here. The CEO's kids & friends of the kids are scattered about whether they belong there or not (more not) & heaven forbid you mention that one of them made a mistake...better to just fix it yourself & hope it comes out well in the wash. Family owned & operated businesses are great when ownership realizes that not
  more... everyone in their family is cut out for the business. That is not the case here.

And quite possibly the best worst thing about Saratoga is the dichotomy between the Christian values ownership trots out when its convenient and their actual behavior. Their vision/mission statement is all about God and family and (I'm actually laughing at this most) integrity. Its important for ownership to honor their relationship with God and with their own family but yours? Not so much. Maybe if it absolutely 100% doesn't interfere with work but then only maybe. And integrity? That's irony at its very finest. People with integrity don't run their businesses or their lives the way the ownership/management of this company do.

Saragota is most likely a sinking ship and if you're already part of the commercial roofing industry, you should be able to make a few phone calls to find this out for yourself. Its big business but a small world and word is spreading fast. Run, don't walk, away from whatever "opportunity" they're peddling.
Pros
Pay for production members
Cons
Everything else

Comment – July 13, 2015

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your concerns about our organization. Your input, and the feedback from all past and present employees, is extremely important to us. It is our genuine desire that each and every one of our team members are able to have a mutually rewarding experience while under our employ. We recognize that as our company matures from a small family run business to a nationally recognized organization, expectations and dynamics have necessitated change, and this change has been difficult for all of us at times. Per your comments, we have updated our job posting outline for field production positions to better explain the consistent travel demands of working for a national roofing company. Though we make superior pay standards a priority for travel intensive positions to help offset the travel requirement, it does take a very special person with unique skills and abilities to take on these challenging positions. We are proud that our field production team is the best in the industry! We are taking measures to address each of your additional concerns as well, including implementation of an internal program to facilitate the development of our culture and address employee concerns. We sincerely hope that you will find a company and a position that is a better fit. We wish you all the best!

If you like being treated badly, and pushed to your limit, then this is the place for you.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 16, 2015
At first this company sounds like its a dream come true based on the their motto and code of ethics they claim to have, "Trust, Honor, integrity, God, family, then company". All of that disappears very quickly and now it becomes all about the money, how much can sell and how much can you invoice per month.

Their field workers are required to work 7 days per week even if the work is in town. The work load is beyond excessive, and don't get caught leaving at 5pm because you'll be inundated with reprimanding emails the following day. The average work day is 12+ hours. On weekends you are required to answer your phone and respond to emails within 30 minutes. You are required to share your calendar with the executive team which is no big deal, but.
your calendar needs to be 150% full every week; and if you don't have a completely full calendar, you better be able to explain why you are slacking.

The Management and Executive team have no vision nor do they give direction other than to say " we need more contracts". Constantly cut off by vendors for delinquent payments.

Our field guys call me saying that their hotel reservations were no longer valid because the company credit cards were shut down. I would be forced to use my personal credit card for the hotel rooms so the crew would have somewhere to sleep while they are out of town. The same goes for fuel cards. Its not uncommon to have a crew stranded out of state for a canceled fuel card. Reimbursements usually take about 30 days.

Nepotism? At its best, I have no other words to describe, other than if
  more... a family member gets engaged or has a baby, or got the sniffles that week, you better send a nice congratulatory email to them.

There is absolutely zero management support, decade old computers, zero IT support, and ultimately it is a brutal workplace environment.
Pros
Nice work trucks
Cons
No management support.
Great Environment
Entry Level CAD Drafter (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 18, 2015
I absolutely loved working for Saratoga Roofing, I consider them family. They provide you with the resources that you need to be successful in a timely manner, established their vision from day one.
Roofing Laborer
Roofing Laborer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 5, 2015
Clean work areas and equipment.
Maintain tools and equipment.
Unload materials and tools from work trucks.
Operate lull lift to move material from ground to roof.
Check to ensure that completed roofs are watertight.
Sweep and clean roofs to prepare them for the application of new roofing materials.
Pros
received a per diem on each check which was beneficial
Cons
working out of state
Very hard company to work for. Two many chiefs and enough indians.
Hired on as safety manager and project manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 24, 2013
Very disorganized company to work for. Value of work ethics is very poor. Promises not kept. Poor work standards.
Installer
Installer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 16, 2014
While at this employment I was in charge of building a roof and everything that it involves such as framing, waterproofing, shingle and tile installation.
Toxic culture
ee (Former Employee) –  okcJuly 22, 2012
No consistancy of processes, no family life balance. Does not live their values, sells a great line then moves on to the next target, leaving you to fend for yourself. No leadership and no trust.
Pm
PM (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 8, 2013
I absolutely love my job and the people that I work with. The only part of the job that is not truly satisfying is working seven days a week.