Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

Good Company For the Long Haul
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2017
If you want to make a career at a single employer than this may be the company for you. Over 125 years old, they are very set in their ways and do not quickly shift their processes or approach to projects. It is a private company and most management opportunities come from within. Their culture gets passed down internally. Much of their software has been developed in house and is far behind the times. What this means is stability and a chance to spend your life with a company that will allow you to learn and advance, just over a long period of time.
Pros
Do as little or as much as you want
Cons
Slow moving and not open to major change
So Far its been good
Senior Designer NP Electrical & Controls (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 12, 2017
So Far its been good and thankful to have the opportunity to learn a new field, however this industry haves slow times which can cause major disruption in our day to day lives.
About sargent and lundy
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2017
Sargent and lundy has long history in designing and engineering power plants including fossil power plants and nuclear power plants. The company also has a division for power delivery system.
Little appreciation for employees
Associate II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2017
Sargent & Lundy's management cares only about their bottom line and the management's jobs. They often overwork their employees (60+ hours per week) as they promise schedules to the clients that are not realistic. They also underbid in order to get projects, then berate employees for going over budget when they were simply trying to put together a quality project.

There is little to no incentive for anyone to help others out, so young engineers simply have to learn the ropes and getting advice/information from managers and older employees is often like pulling teeth.
Pros
Good benefits, competitive salary, great location
Cons
Poor management, management doesn't care about employees
Excellent A/E firm to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2017
Sargent & Lundy is excellent at power plant design and engineering. For 125 years they have led the industry and advanced the field of power plant engineering.
Great workplace
Structural Engineering Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2017
Great place to work. Many opportunities to show your abilities. the work is demanding but also very interesting and rewarding. You are not left alone. The structure of the company is set up for your success.
Project Work
Design/ Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Two Rivers, WIFebruary 22, 2017
The typical day at Point Beach was driven by the work that I was involved with. The job was to implement the approved design at a scheduled timeline.

The implementation of the design and the work in the field was the most job.
Pros
The successful installation of the design.
Cons
Meetings
Good company
DCS Owner's Representative (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 9, 2017
S&L has treated me very well, but I have no work life balance. I am thankful that they give trips home, but there are not enough of them.
Pros
Good pay, great people
Cons
Travel, Away from friends and family
Okay - Management
Associate II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2017
There is little to no training. Everything is on the fly. You learn an okay amount, but I do not see myself wanting to continue at this job any longer than I have to.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
Long hours, little guidance, old/poor management
Friendly and team player environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2017
I worked with this company for over 5 years, and during that time, I managed to establish a solid work foundation and life long contacts. I only quit to be closer to home.
Pros
Flexible lunch hours
Cons
Slow promotions
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2017
I enjoyed working at S/L I would recommend them for employment. Work was a challenge, I learned a lot while work there, and learned about the people, and increased my skillset.
Pros
great people
Cons
location
Good workplace, does not supply enough work
Structural Drafter III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2017
Pretty good place to work when there are projects to work on, competitive compensation, great benefits, good teachers.It's a quiet office, management is ok. Coworkers are friendly and willing to help out and teach.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not enough work, hard to tell if you will have a job for months to come
I give a poor rating.
Designer 2 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2016
This is a good place if you are an engineer. If you are not I recommend looking elsewhere. The more you produce the more they give you while others who do the same work as you are playing around doing nothing.
Cons
A lot of people on the internet, smart phones etc. all day long, not doing actual work.
Great Company
Structural Engineering Assisociate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 30, 2016
This is an excellent place to work. It's a small company filled with extremely intelligent and driven employees. There is a lot of knowledge sharing which makes getting up to speed relatively easy. Great place to work. 10/10 would recommend.
Not for new engineers
Associate 2 Substation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2016
A lot of the experience that's expected of the employees at Sargent & Lundy cannot be gained by working within the firm. The most valued employees at the company are people who'd worked in the utility or power industry for years prior. So, if you want to go far within the firm, you'll want to come in from another sector of the industry rather than fresh out of college.

The work atmosphere is pretty stiff. Employees fear arriving five minutes late or taking too long of a lunch break. Most people eat at their desks and put in 9 hour work days.

I enjoyed the company's professionalism, but I felt like the entire company took its self to seriously. As a result, there was no flexibility within the firm, no room for growth, no room for innovation. They are a firm that has figured out what they're doing, and they're going to continue doing that until they run out of clients.
Sargent and Lundy
Human Resources Specialist, Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2016
Sargent & Lundy is a global engineering consulting firm that provides complete consulting, engineering, and project development services for all types of fossil-fuel, nuclear, and renewable power generation and power delivery projects. S&L has been dedicated exclusively to serving the electric power industry and related businesses for 120 years.
Productive and Knowledgeable
Coal & Nuclear power plant consultant firm (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of creating system sizing calculations & PIDs. At times work can be challenging but with the right team you can easily manage through. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH! Being on a huge project I was still able to have a flexible lifestyle.
Pros
Free Lunch & Learns, Work/Life Balance, Flexible, Learn alot
Good Company
Senior Associate Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2016
S&L is a good place to work with stable hours and a good group of engineers. Some middle management is not great to work with and they do not seem to care for employees thinking outside the box. Fossil Power is on the way out. S&L sees high turnover, however, they are very good at rehiring past employees from what I have seen.
Great training program
ASME Section 2&3 Pipe Stress Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2016
Sargent and Lundy has a great training program, however during my time at the company there was never enough work for everyone. Lack of projects and assignments.
Pros
Training
Cons
Lack of projects
Good Job/Life Balance
Associate 1 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2016
They are flexible with employees regarding PTO and flex-time and compensation for overtime.
They have one of the better employee benefits packages I have seen.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sargent & Lundy. Our community is ready to answer.