Sargento Foods Employee Reviews

An overrated Company
Heavy Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Plymouth and Kiel, WIMay 3, 2012
The only favorible thing that I can say about working at Sargento is that the pay is good. The working conditions are poor. The factories are ugly, dirty, depressing and dangerous. I worked at two locations (Plymouth and Kiel). At Plymouth the machines are usually not working right and the employees are expected to make up the difference. At Kiel the mean and nasty employees are in control. As a new employee you are trained in each department. The trianing is not good in many cases. Too many people doing the training are mean and short tempered. The benefits package is dissapointing. Sargento does not care about the health of its employees. They will just keep on pushing and pushing. I was thrilled when I was hired by Sargento but, that changed fast after I saw how they treat their employees. They just don't care about anything but making money fast. While I worked there I felt that I was nothing more than a number.
Pros
good pay
Cons
unhealthy atmosphere, machines not working, grouchy people, unqualified supervisors and management
Nice people depending on who and where you work at...
former employee (Former Employee) –  plymouthApril 28, 2014
You had to know the hiring manager to get a promotion or advancement there. Some managers are decent to work or but there are some that have been there for years and are terrible people to work for. Worst departments is marketing & creative services because you have to be a "good fit" & fake to fit in with that crowd. The manufacturing is the best place to be in. Overall pay and benefits are great. Stopped believing in the culture and values of the company.
Pros
good benefits, pay, vacation, and long summer hours!
Cons
bonuses are not so great, unfair hiring process for internal employees, some new hires are not even qualifed for a position but are hired due to a connection.
Decent pay and benefits, but poor treatment
Production (Current Employee) –  PlymouthJune 16, 2013
Sargento loves to tell their employees how well they are treated. They have to keep telling you, because you would never know it if they didn't. Make no mistake, you will just be a number and your home life, thoughts, and opinions have no place inside the Sargento family. Supervisors range from condescending to openly hostile, This is true across all production departments. Talking to long term employees, Sargento used to be a good place to work, but those days are long gone, The pay and benefits are not bad, but if you expect this to be a dream job with a great company you will be disappointed.
Pros
pay, benefits.
Cons
short breaks, unpleasant work environment
Productive and Fun Workplace with TV in the lunchroom
Quality Technician III (Former Employee) –  North Sioux City, SDDecember 30, 2013
A typical day was filled with testing to insure product quality. I learned many new testes in the Microbiological area including pathogen testing. Management was great to work with and my co-workers in the quality area could always be depended on for back-up if needed and I would return the favor when needed. The hardest part of the job was sampling in the freezer. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction we got for producing quality product.
Pros
free safety lunches
diferents tipes of jobs everyday.
Sargento Policía de Puerto Rico (Former Employee) –  Puerto Rico,October 26, 2013
No single day are the same. I resolve people problems. Helps other with family situation. Stay on dangerous situation like assaults and accident with life threatening injuries. I learn to deal with different situation and resolves problems on the moment. The hardesta part of the job is when you don't have nothing to do to save a life. The mos enjoyable part of my job is deal with people and help them with their dairy situation.
Pros
deal with different kind of people
Cons
no cons i love thisjob
production - cook room
production (Former Employee) –  Kiel, WIJanuary 15, 2015
The people are nasty!!! I was excited to get hired there...but, that changed quickly. Training was a joke!!! Glad to get out of there fast!!! It helps in a job where people can work together...this is NOT the case at the Kiel facility. They work against each other...and that makes a very negative atmosphere. Do. Not. Apply. ..........RUN. I sure hope the company reads these reviews and gets better control of their workers...they do not own the company!!! Sargento does.
Pros
none.
Cons
company doesn't have a clue.
Frozen Core Department Universal (Former Employee) –  Kiel, WIApril 30, 2015
The employees were good to work with. Most people got along. Unfortunately you had to spend more time kissing up to the boss than working. But i learned a lot of great things there and met a lot of good people
Pros
Pay was great! 8 Hour days 5 days a week
Cons
Not enough teamwork
Productive and well managed.
Sensory Techician (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIMay 7, 2014
It was easy to go to work. A typical day was hard working and fun all in one. My supervisor was easy to work with but, excepted production. The company as a hole was wonderful. I will truly miss working there.
Pros
cheese every day.
Cons
healthcare
Temporary job with hopes for permanent employment.
Food Packer Temporary (Former Employee) –  Kiel, WIApril 26, 2014
Sargento Foods was a very sanitary company where safety standards were always stressed.
Pros
coworkers helped the temps quite extensively.
Cons
short breaks
Great place to help improve safety
safety manager (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, WIDecember 17, 2015
Every day is fast paced environment and I learned how to prioritize safety efforts. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping to improve the safety culture and buy in.
Great Company
Supply Quality Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIMarch 28, 2014
Sargento is a great company to work for. They offer great compensation, good health care benefits, profit sharing and 401K as well as annual bonuses.
Pros
too many to list.
productive
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Kiel, WIMarch 19, 2013
- lifting and movein at fast pace
-sanitation,organize,attetion to detail
-friendly
-very outgoing,helpful
-running short handed
-new people and new friends
Pros
good pay
Cons
n/a
Process cheese
3rd Shift Process Tech/Heavy-Duty Utility (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIAugust 4, 2014
Slice and package cheese for customers. Sanitation a few days of the week. Operate slicing and packaging machines.