Sasol Employee Reviews

Sasol
PSM Manager US Mega Projects (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 3, 2015
Sasol is a good company with a chance to advance with good pay and benefits. I like the diversity of the work force and international assignments.
Vice President appears to be misleading.
Document Control Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxAugust 3, 2015
I found the job to be beneficial, with typical days at work asking questions with each Management directing co-workers to other employees for assistant. Thoroughly enjoyed working with the co-workers all were very pleasant.
Sr. Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  TulsaMay 3, 2015
Cutting edge technology and very understanding management. Most people who join tend to retire from the company. Dream job for research engineers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
The company suports career development and opportunity which is enhanced by its excellent value system
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Secunda, MPApril 19, 2015
-The day starts with a cup of tea and going through my on-line diary - reading my mail box - and planning the day's work. Then I go to the morning meeting to give and receive feedback on my project's progress. After that I apply good time management to schedule next steps on projects and contact the service providers, load job requests, update project status and report to the line manager.
-I learned that the purpose of procedures are defeated if not adhered to. I also learned to take responsibility for my own actions and be part of the solution rather than be part of the problem. A problem is just a solution waiting to happen.
-People are not machines with on/off buttons! They have emotions and one must apply good management principles to gain support for a common goal. The company line managers are very objective and goal driven.
-We worked as a team to realise common goals. The team is as strong as the weakest link. We need to support each other.
-It becomes hard to manage change and keep perspective during re-structuring, transfers and staff reductions.
-Achieving success while exceeding expectation.
Pros
All the tools and support was available to make a success of my career.
Cons
Continious restructuring.
Hard work, low compensation
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Secunda, MPFebruary 7, 2015
Clock in at 05h00 on a morning shift, shift only start at 05h30 officially and it's a 12 hour shift, which means we clock out at 17h30.
And clock in at 17h00 on a night shift and clock out at 05h30 the following morning.
I have gained experience in the following:
• Maintain the integrity of the process plants at all times.
• Manage and co-ordinate 4 field operators.
• Commission and decommission the Synthol process plant.
• Decision making outside on the plant.
• Manage all maintenance activities, tagging of equipment, blank lists, hot & cold work permits outside in the field.
• Punching with maintenance department.
• Risk management.
• Co-ordinate start-up & shutdown activities in the field.
• Gas and explosion testing.
• Ensure that plant readings are taken and deviations rectified.
• Train operators according to plant operational standards.
• Problem solving & plant optimization.
• Manage safety watchers.
• Plant inspections and fault finding.
• Take charge during emergencies.

Management don't value the workers as they should, we are underpaid and complain actually puts you in a position you don't want to be in. Yearly merit suffers accordingly.

I can work with anybody, I believe that team work is essential to success

The hardest part of the job is feeling unappreciated and knowing that your assign Training officer doesn't support you.
Pros
medical and pention fund
Cons
low compensation not even close to international standards, training is poor or none existed, we must do standby over our off weekends but there is no standby allowance.
hard working man
mining supervisor on main conveyor belts (Current Employee) –  Secunda, MPOctober 14, 2014
I am a hard working male,in very good physical shape and not afraid of a challenge.
Pros
you work hard and it keeps you busy.
Cons
dangerous environment
Foreman, Clean Fuels Project (Former Employee) –  Secunda, MPAugust 26, 2014
Typical day consisted of Learning work enviroment
Learned on Platforming unit
Management was supportive
Co workers was supportive
Most enjoyable part was being at work
productive and informative company
senior process artisan (Current Employee) –  Secunda, MPMarch 8, 2014
safety is my top priority and to think before we act on the day to day job to avoid injuries. i have learned over the years that a chance favours the prepared mind so having said that i am always prepared for challenges ahead. Management find it easy and effective way of achiving goals, if communication with employees and involvement in decision making takes place. i have always enjoyed working with people, i had the honour of acting as foreman on shutdown and it was quite a fruitful experience but i like it cause i learned a lot from people by exchanging ideas.the hardest part is getting to the rotation of shifts but other than that my job is one of the best.
Pros
gifts for motivation
Cons
long working hours