Sasol Employee Reviews

Summary
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2017
Several years of regulatory coordinating with several companies while providing updates and recommendations to management team as it relates to oil and gas regulations and rules.
Truly loved working for Sasol
Lead Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westlake, LAJune 19, 2016
Great team culture that oriented toward delivering a good product to our clients. Very focused on safety and the environment. Truly loved the people I worked with and the benefits.
good
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2016
I have been working from last 3 months for SASOL
No work pressure
as of now every thing is fine
Work culture and environment is good
The company suports career development and opportunity which is enhanced by its excellent value system
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Secunda, MPApril 19, 2015
-The day starts with a cup of tea and going through my on-line diary - reading my mail box - and planning the day's work. Then I go to the morning meeting to give and receive feedback on my project's progress. After that I apply good time management to schedule next steps on projects and contact the service providers, load job requests, update project status and report to the line manager.
-I learned that the purpose of procedures are defeated if not adhered to. I also learned to take responsibility for my own actions and be part of the solution rather than be part of the problem. A problem is just a solution waiting to happen.
-People are not machines with on/off buttons! They have emotions and one must apply good management principles to gain support for a common goal. The company line managers are very objective and goal driven.
-We worked as a team to realise common goals. The team is as strong as the weakest link. We need to support each other.
-It becomes hard to manage change and keep perspective during re-structuring, transfers and staff reductions.
-Achieving success while exceeding expectation.
Pros
All the tools and support was available to make a success of my career.
Cons
Continious restructuring.
Good place to learn
Associate Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 1, 2016
You will get plenty experience on this place. Good hard working people but it can be very frustrating sometimes because this is a good fast pace enviroment.
Pros
Low pay
Cons
really fast pace
Sr. Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  TulsaMay 3, 2015
Cutting edge technology and very understanding management. Most people who join tend to retire from the company. Dream job for research engineers.
Pros
Great benefits
Loved working here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2016
This was my first job in the petrochemical O&G arena and I loved it. I learned a ton as they often provided a high level of training. They do have an unorthodox why of utilizing their ERP system (SAP), but the people they employ are intelligent and friendly.
Pros
good pay and location
Cons
non-standard use of SAP
productive and informative company
senior process artisan (Current Employee) –  Secunda, MPMarch 8, 2014
safety is my top priority and to think before we act on the day to day job to avoid injuries. i have learned over the years that a chance favours the prepared mind so having said that i am always prepared for challenges ahead. Management find it easy and effective way of achiving goals, if communication with employees and involvement in decision making takes place. i have always enjoyed working with people, i had the honour of acting as foreman on shutdown and it was quite a fruitful experience but i like it cause i learned a lot from people by exchanging ideas.the hardest part is getting to the rotation of shifts but other than that my job is one of the best.
Pros
gifts for motivation
Cons
long working hours
Growing fast
US Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2015
The operations are growing very quickly, probably quicker than what can be handled by the existing staff. There have been a lot of changes and I would say most have been for the best.

Upper mobility can be challenging given this is a subsidiary of a foreign company.

As with most multinational companies decisions can take longer to be made.

Local mgmt and culture is good, but interaction with parent company can be challenging at times.

The company is making significant investments here locally, I believe it is an up and coming organization.
Great work enviroment
Chemist I (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAApril 21, 2016
Overall...a good company, good people and they genuinely care for their employees. Everyone works well together to accomplish each others goals.
Hard work, low compensation
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Secunda, MPFebruary 7, 2015
Clock in at 05h00 on a morning shift, shift only start at 05h30 officially and it's a 12 hour shift, which means we clock out at 17h30.
And clock in at 17h00 on a night shift and clock out at 05h30 the following morning.
I have gained experience in the following:
• Maintain the integrity of the process plants at all times.
• Manage and co-ordinate 4 field operators.
• Commission and decommission the Synthol process plant.
• Decision making outside on the plant.
• Manage all maintenance activities, tagging of equipment, blank lists, hot & cold work permits outside in the field.
• Punching with maintenance department.
• Risk management.
• Co-ordinate start-up & shutdown activities in the field.
• Gas and explosion testing.
• Ensure that plant readings are taken and deviations rectified.
• Train operators according to plant operational standards.
• Problem solving & plant optimization.
• Manage safety watchers.
• Plant inspections and fault finding.
• Take charge during emergencies.

Management don't value the workers as they should, we are underpaid and complain actually puts you in a position you don't want to be in. Yearly merit suffers accordingly.

I can work with anybody, I believe that team work is essential to success

The hardest part of the job is feeling unappreciated and knowing that your assign Training officer doesn't support you.
Pros
Medical and Pention fund
Cons
Low compensation not even close to international standards, training is poor or none existed, we must do standby over our off weekends but there is no standby allowance.
Sasol
PSM Manager US Mega Projects (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 3, 2015
Sasol is a good company with a chance to advance with good pay and benefits. I like the diversity of the work force and international assignments.
Vice President appears to be misleading.
Document Control Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxAugust 3, 2015
I found the job to be beneficial, with typical days at work asking questions with each Management directing co-workers to other employees for assistant. Thoroughly enjoyed working with the co-workers all were very pleasant.
Questionable Management
SENIOR DESKTOP SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2015
The management of the IT group puts more emphasis and appreciates and values more socializing as opposed to true work performance.
Foreman, Clean Fuels Project (Former Employee) –  Secunda, MPAugust 26, 2014
Typical day consisted of Learning work enviroment
Learned on Platforming unit
Management was supportive
Co workers was supportive
Most enjoyable part was being at work
Sasol Review
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2015
Sasol is a great place to work; however, due to slowing economy,my job may be in jeopardy,therefore, I am looking for other opportunities. Sasol has flex hours, great work atmosphere, great benefits.
Pros
great benefits, flex hours
Cons
layoffs frequently
Good work atmosphere.
Shipping & Receiving Clerk/ Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 29, 2015
Good Work atmosphere and challenging work environment. Interesting research and development work. Good salaries and flexible schedule if needed.
Pros
Dupont Schedule with 7 straight days off a month.
Cons
Oil industry is unstable and unpredictable.
Research and Development
Associate Research Chemist (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAAugust 8, 2014
•Helped to develop, characterize and analyze a coating that could be used for deicing, through particle sizing, FT-IR, and SEM.
•Assisted in developing an alumina dispersion for gas diffusion barriers in plastic bottles.
•Performed characterizations on different aluminum using carbon analysis, NMR, per cent solids, total suspended solids, and dispersability through centrifuge.
•Completed a campaign for a new product that resulted in the company making $2 milllion
•Organized critical training for the entire Research and Development department
•Recertified Drytec spray and 75 gallon Pfaudler reactor for the Process Development Lab
Very good work environment, team approach to goals achievement
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 11, 2013
Successful firm with great future growth projected. Effective global management.
good place to work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 15, 2014
good job benefits those in charge were good knowlegeable people up till they sold the company to a foregine interest

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sasol. Our community is ready to answer.