Savage Companies Employee Reviews in United States

Well-run, but increasingly cutthroat
Regional Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Roosevelt, UTFebruary 9, 2016
A huge amount is expected of middle management, particularly the Operations Managers, General Managers and Business Managers. The company talks a good game about caring about the employees' work-life balance, but it's completely insincere. Also, much is made of the opportunities for advancement, but the Business Manager position (which is purported to be the main springboard) is a dead end, with few, if any, legitimate Business Unit Leader positions available to fill.
Pros
Many, many smart, committed and helpful people.
Cons
Arrogant leadership who feel that employees should feel lucky to work at Savage, out of touch senior management.
stay away
driver Fuel technician (Former Employee) –  Augusta GeorgiaOctober 23, 2015
Do not work for Savage they are low down dirty liars talk about the right way but as soon as you get on the job site all that goes away the management that is supposed to back you and take care of you tux tail and bends over backwards 4 in my case Csx the Savage employees are wrong and Csx is right even though we were told we would do it to Savage way and not the Csx way that being said I was jumped by an employee in our little trailer and even recorded it happening I was bruised and scratched up well the other person had no marks because all I did was defend myself and yet it took Savage 5 days to finally tell me I was fired because I should aggressiveness so my thoughts to you are if something happens keep it to yourself keep your head down and tuck tail and run because you have no one at all that will help you and Savage Savage all about them and that's it I hope that this helps in deciding if you should work for Savage or not
Pros
not hard work
Cons
you're on your own
Cut throat employees and management
Operator (Former Employee) –  Port ArthurOctober 17, 2015
Management doesn't care about anything but getting work done. When it comes to safety it's all just a show they put on for the client. No room for advancement and pay raises are a joke...Especially when the people you train get almost a dollar more than you EVERY TIME raises come around. Everyone is always blaming each other and other crews for work not getting completed or something breaking. Always having to watch your back cause someone is always trying put a knife in it rather you keep to yourself or not. Last but not least lets not forget the FAVORITISM.....If you're not a distant family member from the GM or if you're white be prepared to be treated like a nobody. If Corporate REALLY new what was going on things would be better and worth working there.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Not worth the paycheck
Micro managed
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  PasadenaSeptember 27, 2015
Savage preaches the right thing but treat you like incompetent step-children on the job. Advancement? You must be a militant my way or the highway, write you up for every shortcoming, buddy with the area manager.
10 months on the job and I couldn't make my boss happy. Employee moral is low and training is a joke. Then the company wonders why there are so many safety violations.
Pros
You can pay your bills
Cons
poor work environment, no sense of pride
Good workplace
Employee (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 18, 2015
The people that work here are great. For the most part, people have good values and do what they say they will do. Pay is pretty competitive and benefits and decent.

Work schedule can be demanding at times.
Pros
Good workplace and people; competitive pay
Cons
Schedule can be demanding at times
Savage is all talk..
Yard (Former Employee) –  Auburn maineAugust 10, 2015
Preach safety but work comes first always. .management does not listen to employees. .management has no respect for it's workers..work load increases but not your pay..highest turn over rate I've ever seen in a company.
Savage talks a good game but no good
Maintenance/Operator (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAAugust 5, 2015
company is ok. Managers (Martinez) are mainly horrible. Pay is average. Benefits are ok. Little chance for overtime or advancement. Managers tell you one thing to your face and then then the opposite happens. I've heard the same from employees at other locations too. Ideas are almost never listened to. Safety culture is preached like crazy, and at least at our location they followed thru. Coworkers are cool. Since Savage 100% anti-union you will never have one & can be fired anytime for no good reason.
Pros
Decent on time pay, decent benefits
Cons
No chance of advancement. Managers are full of it, ANTI-UNION
Production over safety at Baytown TX Savage location!
supervisor (Current Employee) –  baytown, TXAugust 4, 2015
Exactly as the title states! Production over safety!
This is something that has been happening for years at the site and, management turns a blind eye to it!

I have never seen so many incidents/ occurrences happen at one location and management still has their job.
If you want a job where you have zero work life balance and get "taken to the gate", this is the job for you!
The icing on the cake was when a fellow employee put a cottonmouth snake in another man's lunch box! Wow!
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
no life outside of work!
Operator
Operator (Former Employee) –  Elko, NevadaJuly 15, 2015
Management on site is cruel to employees. Always treat us like we are dumb and always talk down to people. Management likes to spread rumors about employees and make fun of them. I've never worked in a company that treat people with no respects. I've seen other Management treat other employees with regards and this one always buy old stuff to reward employees. Holds employees back so they don't succeeds. Sometimes we have a meeting with no lunches. Hopefully management can sit back and understand the situation about employees and make changes. If you do work just be careful because some day you can get pin to the wall
Pros
Nothing good to say
Cons
no breaks, even if you are tired and manager can see it but still want you to work and never give you credit.
Tesoro Martinez,Ca.94553
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  MartinezApril 29, 2015
No loyalty to employee's. Management is very low in professionalism. Don't treat there employee's with respect. The first manager they fired, the new one is more dishonest. Savage needs to evaluate there managers by communicating with there workers. Employee's are very shocked how people have been treated.
Pros
when us workers handled are duties
Cons
short breaks, management
Feast or famine
Driver (Current Employee) –  American Fork, UtahDecember 17, 2014
I have worked here now for a year since this company started hauling crude oil in the Uintah Basin in Utah. Brand new equipment all around. They pay for extensive training and are extremely safety first type of company. They have a contract with Chevron who doesn't always provide enough loads for all the drivers that they currently have. Trucks never stop. 24 - 7 operation. Might miss a shift because a truck has to be serviced or they may have a spare to use. Management will tell you straight up that if your not happy to go somewhere else. Savage also obtained another operation through Holly refineries. It's still in the Salt Lake area. That operation actually pays more. Better trucks with more power and a sleeper cab. Wierd that we are apparently the same company doing the same job but pay and things are so different. Also we are supposed to get a desent wage to go back to the Salt Lake refinery. But most days now we travel to Price, utah to unload at a railroad yard. Delays Delays Delays there and you get paid less money to drive a more dangerous route. They will hire you though with no crude oil hauling experience. They will train you no matter what for a minimum of 3 weeks. So if you want the experience of a good career then this is the place.
Pros
new equipment
Cons
pay, actual having loads back to the refinery.
good workplace
Unit Operator (Current Employee) –  Garyville, LAJuly 15, 2014
no opportunity for advancement. searching a company I can retire from and be able to support my sons college education.
typical day etc
Locomotive Engineer/ Rail Switch Operator (Former Employee) –  Luling, LAAugust 1, 2013
Savage Companies overall is a good company to work for, but there Luling, La operation has a high employee turnover rate.... Employee's usually stay a few months to gain experience and move on .The management there is not the best, there is no communication between management, if you give them notice in advance they will tell you they forgot... Also there is no training program on site to familiarize you with the jobsite once employed. Most co-workers won't explain to you the job task for the day..... And will report you to the supervisors.... The pay is decent. But if you have experience you would move on to obtain a better opportunity...
Pros
great experience you learn how to operate a locomotive
Cons
management sucks, no on site training for new employess to become familiar with jobsite