Savage Services Employee Reviews in United States

Great time with this company.
Evaluations Manager/ Senior Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDMarch 24, 2016
Savage hired me with a premium salary. My direct manager was good, but the company as a whole was too apprehensive. In the failing market of the oil and gas industry, they had a decision to make.
Pros
Great money, Great people. Great culture.
Cons
Upper management has a lack of trust in their experienced employees assessments.
Horrible Company
Transloader/Operator (Former Employee) –  Delaware City, DEDecember 20, 2015
I worked at the Delaware City Refinery site. It was absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for in my life. There is so much catering to poor workmanship and favoritism is through the roof. Its a awesome place to work if you enjoy nepotism and poor leadership. Managers and supervisors are horrible and do nothing to help out the workers in the field but want to solve world hunger and get production done at the same time. There is zero consideration for any safety and if there is a mistake made on the management's part its automatically considered the workers problem and left for you to handle. On the plus side the work was easy and the money was good and health benefits are not good. In fact they are on the opposite side of the spectrum from good, but it is health care ....some how. I have very few good things to say about this company, and its not from being a disgruntled employee, it is clearly the truth. Ask all 170 employees that got laid off over night without warning and the favorites stayed.....Great company huh.
Pros
Hours, Pay
Cons
Everything about management and healthecare
Hostile work envirement, muat be in the click
Fuel tech (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYDecember 7, 2015
The job itself is good, but working with no contract, and not knowing if your even gonna have a job is hard,
The current site leader makes it very hard to take pride in the job, and in general, just makes it a bad place to be, and the immediate management is no more than a used car salesman, absolutely horrible,!!!!! days off change, favoritism, and many lazy coworkers, makes the job unbalanced,
The pay is good, benefits are good, the trucks need repair, and is never fixed, aggravating place to be
Pros
Pay, working around the trains
Cons
Management, schedule, No security, junky trucks
Great overall place to work
Loader Operator/Supervisor/manager in training (Current Employee) –  Williston, NDJuly 14, 2015
Typical day at work for me is operation of front-end loader loading or unloading drill casing from trucks. I also help to direct my co-workers to do the days jobs the most efficient way by assigning teams and assignments. My manager is a great boss who understands the ins and outs of the yard and motivates us to excel within the company.
We have downsized to the point all of my co-workers know exactly what to do and how to do it very safely and efficiently. The hardest part of my job is the cold in the winter, it reaches to -60 below and we still have a job to get done as timely as possible. My most enjoyable part of my job is the amount of hours we have been able to work since I have been employed with them.
benefits
Cons
away from home and family
Job could be much better
Switch Operator (Former Employee) –  Whiting, INOctober 22, 2015
Easy job, great coworkers. Poor benefits and management. The company has good intentions, but they have the wrong people in charge.
Savage Services was a Solid company to work for.
Water Transfer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDSeptember 8, 2015
My main issue with Savage Services was Management personnel. The wrong people were in the wrong positions, which ultimately lead to us not securing future contracts for more work.
Pros
Great pay, Great benefits
Cons
Terrible management.
Good company to work for
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ilApril 29, 2015
I worked there for 2 and half years and never received a raise that is the really only complaint I have. The CEO actual came out to our site and cooked us steaks which is something i never experienced before. They benefits for being such a big company were really bad. I paid for benefits for me and my son about 350 a month and if i took my son to the doctor i would have to pay 90 percent of the bill.
production over safety
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baytown TXJune 10, 2015
long days, long hours!!
not many days off during the month.
mot much of a work/life balance
benefits are ok
managers are different at each location and can make or break the site.
Great Company
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NDFebruary 3, 2016
Loved everything about this company! Loved all my co-workers including management.

Working schedule was 5 12 hours days and then 5 days off.
Pros
5 day rotations
Cons
Business based on oil business so when slow lay offs take place
Great Company
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXMay 9, 2016
The corporate really cares about the employees, and they are very nice and helpful on any questions and concerns you might have. Savage has a great training program and they value safety.
Pros
Great corporate, pay, and benefits
Cons
no sick pay
Great place to create a career!
Logistics coordinator (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NDJuly 30, 2014
Moved to this location with little understanding of the company or the position. I knew what I read off the company's website and what I read was mostly positions in different states. The North Dakota location is extremely fast paced and the management team is extremely understanding of everything related to living in an isolated environment. They are friendly and willing to meet all needs as associates look to fly home and be with their families. The work schedule is set around working hard for 7 or 14 days and then getting a week off. It's great money - extremely competitive. The real money is in overtime and they allow all that you want.
Pros
overtime, great pay, understanding management, great benefits
Cons
helping with housing, working with younger guys can be good and bad, isolated area but it can be fun if you create it.
Great place to work, but job security is limited.
Transloader (Former Employee) –  Delaware City, DEOctober 16, 2015
Great place to work, Very safety Oriented.
The ability to move up in the company is definitely there.
Great people to work with that embrace you and challenge you to be better today than you were yesterday.
Sadly, the gave little to no notice of their reduction in staff and lots of good people lost their jobs. Notice of Reduction in Force was given Day Of.
Pros
Lots of time to be spent home with family or at OT.
Cons
No job security.
Very Busy
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 19, 2016
I would calculate the sulphur inventory we received daily along with mail. I processed AP/AR and kept up with employee's safety training records.

I worked with a great bunch of guys.
Great company, tight market
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 23, 2015
Busy place to work. Each operation offers new challenges and operation requirements. Some days there weren't enough hours in the day. There are great people there and to see the determination in some of the employees was motivational. There is a higher than desired employee turnover, but that is expected with entry level positions in an industry that generally pays higher.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Compensastion to crews / available candidates for wages offered.
no respect given
driver (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJApril 29, 2016
no respect given to drivers. favoritism given . Double standards, Lack of true management. They say one thing and do another
O.k. comapany
CDL A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 21, 2016
company and pay great , but location managers and location employees are no good , are not professional , treat some drivers poorly
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oakland, MDMarch 17, 2015
A good company with good workers. Felt right at home with the workers. Benefits offered and paid holidays and vacation. Management worked well with the drivers to keep operations running as smooth as possible.
good job with shift work
Switchman /Engine Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 17, 2015
this job you can work 72 to 92 hours in one week, but the good thing about this job is that you are every other week. Also, employees are fun to work with during those 12 hour days.
Pros
1 hr lunch break
Cons
work every holiday and its mandatory
Difficult work no loyalty Discriminated against age because of physical requirements. Very little pay for the dangerous work environment.
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 23, 2013
All weather conditions outside. Wearing chemical suits encrusted from chemical spills. Equipment had guards removed and most equipment was outdated and constantly needed repairs...which we had to do. Belts constantly broke on conveyor which was outdated. hours were from 6:00AM to ? There was no set time to come home.
Pros
my boss but they fired him because of his age.
Cons
there were no benefits
People you work with will make or break the job
Rail Car / Tank Car Movement (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAOctober 19, 2015
I worked in the Savage Rail part of the company. After a previous group let the site go to pot; I and one other was brought in and trained for the job. After a few months went by, another had been hired. I found out quickly that I had to work with and against a small buddy group that formed for an old job they had shaped.