Savannah College of Art and Design

Savannah College of Art and Design United States Employee Reviews

It's refreshing to be in a creative environment
Admission Department (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: great opportunities to take classes and attend events.
Some departments are better than others. I worked for SCAD at both campuses. The President is a great visionary and brilliant leader. Sadly, some of the most genuine people that truly love the college and have its best interest at heart get the shaft. I saw way too many wonderful people and SCAD enthusiast get let go or quit.

If you like working events (no extra pay) and getting to see amazing exhibits then it's a great place to be. Keep a smile on your face and a positive attitude and you'll be fine. Like with any job though, if you no longer enjoy the work environment or the people you work with, then it's best to move on.
awesome
Jump Start Assistant (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJanuary 15, 2015
Orientation for students with learning disabilities. Showed them around campus and showed where all of SCAD's facilities were.
WARNING to Fundraising Professionals: Stay away from Institutional Advancement! Full of Deceptions, Lies & Incompetent "Leadership". ”
Manager of Annual Fund & Projects (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 16, 2014
Pros: i'm no longer wasting my talent and youth for this company!
Cons: see review above
Leadership within the college & Institutional Advancement is lacking and shows once you are working there. Most people at the top are either related to the president, best friends or have only worked at SCAD their entire adult lives. The amount of nepotism taking place is gag-inducing. Tunnel vision is a HUGE issue with leadership who doesn't really understand higher education. The college worries more about how it looks/feels to the external world than it does about the depth and substance of its mission and products; it's all smoke and mirrors folks. Major roadblocks are encountered when you bring new and fresh ideas on how to improve upon things for the betterment of the college and the fundraising shop.

I've never worked in a place as hostile as SCAD's fundraising shop. Employee turnover is outrageous and poor leadership is the direct cause. Director+ level managers have no clue what they’re doing and often fly by the seat of their pants when issues arise. Their incompetence creates a horrible ripple effect of unnecessary problems and issues for the college as a whole and for those in middle management and below, who actually are qualified and are working tirelessly to do their best for the benefit of the students and their co-workers.

There is a level of secrecy that is scary and Area 51-like. The things I witnessed and heard shocked me as a professional. One day you are given a stellar annual review + salary raise and the next you are shown the door for speaking up about serious issues needing to be addressed with work load and lack of administrative support. There is – more... a culture of fear within the employees which directly translates into horrible moral and constant snickering among co-workers. Managers talk trash about VP's & even the president like it's going out of style behind their backs, but kiss the ground they walk on when around them. Disgusting!

In fact, the more successful one is in their role, the more they have to fear. Executive and upper management does not want to be challenged or held to the universally accepted standards for institutions of higher learning. Management is more interested in blindly-loyal foot soldiers than in innovative, qualified and confident administrators or faculty. People who suggest ways to improve, who strive for best-practices, or push for transparency are shown the door and quickly. Warning, I was. – less
Maintenance and construction (Former Employee), Savannah, GADecember 8, 2014
Good place to work. People were good to work with. The bad thing was they thought the job was more important than anything that was going on in personal life. Would not let have any time off in summer
Equipment Cage is a great place to work as a student
Cage Monitor (Former Employee), Savannah, GAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: good atmosphere, introduced to equipment, supervisor fostered a great environment for education
Cons: only one 15-minute break per 6-hour shift.
Although Montgomery Hall's summer hours had a serious negative impact on my work, my time at the equipment cage was great. Food was an issue because that quarter the cafeteria was being rebuilt, but shouldn't be a problem anymore. I did find out that the 8am shift is still not for me, and would have to go home and take a nap after work every day.

There were times where I felt undertrained while working the front desk, because the building decided halfway through the quarter to only bring in security after 4pm and we suddenly found ourselves used as their replacements. This meant that sometimes people would call the front desk and you'd just have to improvise and pretend to know what you were doing.

I would have loved to return to the cage for the following quarters at SCAD, but once my senior film was underway I feared I wouldn't have the time, and it turned out I was right.
Great learning and Teaching Oppourtunity
INTERIM TECHNICAL DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Savannah, GAOctober 22, 2014
Great place to work. I enjoyed the other employees and we always got the job done.
Productive and busy work environment.
Student Lab Technician (Former Employee), Savannah, GAAugust 31, 2014
While working at The Savannah College of Art and Design as a Student Lab Technician, my work dealt with both students and faculty. I provided support for students as they worked on their projects. This includes product development, pattern making, problem solving, and assistance with all supplies and equipment. This allowed me to gain basic construction knowledge as I assisted students, which helped improve my own work. I helped open and close studio's while I maintained a clean and safe work environment.
SEEING THE EXCITMANT OF THE NEW STUDENTS AS THEY PICK UP THEIR COLLEGE SCHULDES FOR THE FIRST TIME.
Admission Representative (Former Employee), Savannah, GAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: bonus checks once a year
Cons: up paid long hours
I started by answering calls and greeted guests. I enjoyed working with the Dean of Admissions. The hardest part of this job was ordered supplies and stocked supplies for the office and kept inventory of these supplies because of the work loud
Team-work suitablity with motivational atmosphere
Animation Tutor (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2014
A very diverse and dynamic environment inviting students and professionals work collaboratively to achieve their goals.
Student
Interior Design Student (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJune 25, 2014
I am very passionate about art and design and hope to inspire my colleagues and friends. I am inspired by collaboration and believe that these efforts will create holistic environments that challenge expectations. I promise to go above and beyond what is expected and assist in designing environments that positively affect its users.
Fast paced, growing institution
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJune 18, 2014
Talented students showcase their skills on a day to day basis. Assisted the department faculty in educating the students.
Great Internship
Counseling Intern (Former Employee), Savannah GeorgiaApril 23, 2014
Great experience. Great staff.

Great field placement for my internship, I learned a great deal of information needed to develop my own practice behavior.
Lively fast-paced environment
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Savannah, GAApril 21, 2014
A typical day consisted of account reconciliations,month-end journal entries, ad hoc schedules, and preparation for year-end autdit. Enhanced Excel skills and using Banner. Management was laid-back and helpful. Month-end and YE audit required several hours of overtime. Environment was fun and lively.
My Work Culture
Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 30, 2014
Great work and creative environment!
Management is great.
Students are great.
Fast paced, detail oriented a must
Mailroom Assistant (Current Employee), Savannah, GAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Working in a college mail room requires attention to detail to ensure that every item that arrives is entered into the computer for the correct student. Knowledge of data entry is required along with the ability to lift up to 40-50 lbs on a daily basis. Being able to communicate with students from all over the world, parents, faculty and staff is a must. Problem solving and being adaptable in the daily changes to the work load is definitely a plus. Good customer service is first and foremost.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet students and parents from all over the world.
Part time Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Savannah, GASeptember 28, 2013
Pros: flexible, challenging
Cons: too many direct reports
Different experiences working as the assistant to sports information, counseling center, and student activities directors. Did everything from advise student groups to keep score at athletic events and schedule and file student appointments. Great way to work through graduate school.
Learn the necessary skills for Industrial design field
Full time Student Designer (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJuly 20, 2013
Pros: education, one on one time with teachers, state of the art equipement.
Cons: expensive, hope tuition would cover the cost of class materials.
Tough projects in limited amount of time. Have be very creative and the drive to succeed. Time management skills are essential to survive.
Freelance work gained through the school
Freelance Compositor and Editor (Former Employee), Savannah, GAJuly 16, 2013
While still a student at the school, many opportunities were made available to me to work on amateur or professional projects in my degree before I had even finished my diploma. These were great chances to learn my trade while still finishing my degree. While I may not have been technically an employee of the school, it was by their help that I was given these jobs.
Job was routine and simple to get a hand of, lot of time between busyness.
Front Desk Greeter (Former Employee), Savannah, GAMarch 24, 2013
Pros: interaction with students, simple protocol, nice environment
Cons: long stretches without much activity, sitting all day, not much room for advancement
Working as a Front Desk Greeter was a great work study job at SCAD that allowed me to earn an income and not fall behind on my school work. Daily routine was checking in with the cage managers, scanning student IDs, directing tour groups and guests, and handling packages and deliveries. During peak hours you have to interact with a high level of students rushing to get to class, though between classes traffic drops to almost none. Job can be easy to get a hang of, though stressful the first time you have to deal with someone who has lost their ID card or walks by the ID scanner.

Largely you work by yourself at the front desk, though you check in with managers hourly or if there are any problems. Team in the back cage office are supportive and friendly, though you only see them from time to time. Best to bring something to fight off boredom between rushes as there is a lot of down time.
Enjoyable job
Computer Services Technician II (Former Employee), Savannah, GaFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: great area, awesome staff to work with, comfortable setting, rich learning environment
Cons: cut backs and late with promised pay increases
I honestly enjoyed going to work everyday. The people are always nice and welcoming. The staff was easy to support and help with their day to day issues and the work was steady. Management was top notch and the communication was always there and effectively used. The students are extremely talented and I learned a lot from them as well. The hardest part was getting to the many different areas throughout the day that I would need to support at times since we were short staffed, but we made it work and kept all problems resolved on time each week.