Savannah College of Art and Design Employee Reviews

Provides Excellent Benefits but sometimes for a High Cost
Lead UX/UI Designer (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 29, 2017
Working at SCAD as both an employee and as a student for Collaboration Learning Courses, I've seen first hand that SCAD does (mostly) everything in their power to give their students up-to-date education, powerful networking, and facilities and equipment to properly create their work. As an employee however, SCAD seems to treat them with far less importance, by cutting hours randomly, moving departments to various locations without input from the department, creating unnecessary problems for staff, and generally ignoring staff complaints.
Pros
Networking, Education, Experience, Resources
Cons
Pay, At Times Soul Crushing, Managment
Student Focused
Coordinator of Student Activities (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 10, 2017
Students are amazing
Very motivated
Creative culture
Fun town to be a part of
Sidewalk Arts is an amazing part of the year
Fun staff
Youthful atmosphere
It is a good opportunity to learning at school
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 3, 2017
It is a good chance to work with different professors. I am helping different department events, and learning different process of display with different palce.
Great for people with limited obligations
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 27, 2017
Very unorthodox recruitment cycle. Expect to be on the road a majority of the year. Per diem is very nice and salary is $40,000. Hotel accommodations are amazing but expect to stay in them for minimum of 5 days.
Pros
Per diem, salary
Cons
long hours, management, high turnover
Work is your Life
Staff (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2016
If you have a family kiss them goodbye. You will be working ALL THE TIME. If you are single your will stay single. SCAD Expects the extra effort from staff and faculty. Even though that extra effort is never seen. The management looks down upon everyone but the students.
Best Job I've had
Computer System Specialist (AVID) (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 12, 2016
SCAD is the most prolific art college in the world! I know this because i started attending there when it was only 6 years old and to see where it was then and how incredibly powerful and creative it is now is nothing less than awe inspiring.
Pros
Working with the students and professors
Cons
politics with senior management.
A good learning experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 15, 2016
Learned a different language to teach the students to make them understand. Got perfected with residential codes and standards which can be used successfully in the future.
Great Environment
Graduate Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 19, 2016
Great environment to teach others while under the supervision of a full time professor. Get to create lessons, learn your own teaching styles. Safe environment to grow.
Technial Sewing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 19, 2016
I love working here. The students are very talented and the atmosphere is very collaborative. It's an inspiring place to work, where you feel like your effort is valued and appreciated.
One of the best Art and Design schools in the United States
Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 9, 2016
Awesome fashion and design school full of students from diverse backgrounds. A fun workplace. Balance's work with personal life.

The most enjoyable part is preparing students for graduation and the actual ceremony itself!
Pros
Free online class's for employees.
Cons
That there is no location in New York!!
Was a place that fostered creativity
Docent (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 6, 2016
I was able to learn a lot from my position. This included how to operate a gallery as well as interact with patrons. One of my favorite aspects of my job was how I was inspired by both the art and the people I worked with.
Toxic Work Environment
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 13, 2016
Pros of SCAD: The people that I worked directly with are very wonderful and fun, excellent health benefits and fitness classes available to employees which was great.

Cons: Incredibly demanding, high work volume, nights and weekends are often required, no work/life balance, families and personal relationships are required to take a back seat to SCAD, incompetence is rewarded and hard work is overlooked. Favorites of the President are placed in positions of power and have job security even when they are dishonest and inappropriate with their subordinates.
Pros
Travel perks, good coworkers
Cons
Impossible demands, toxic work environment
Productive, great team work
Shift Leader in Montgomery Hall Cage (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 22, 2016
I liked the work space.
There was always goo team work.
I learned how to properly train teach people how to work at the equipment facility.
I learned how to lead when I was promoted to Shift Leader.
The management is great with the employees.
I learned how to really connect with my coworkers to achieve synergy within the workplace.
The hardest part was remembering all the equipment policies and rules.
My most enjoyable part of the job was helping those who were very desperate for a helping hand.
Pros
Great hours, very flexible for a college student, great people
Educational
Student (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 12, 2016
Savannah College of Art and Design is a great institute and can push anyone who applies themselves to the program. The staff is very nice and can provide help to all students. The work load is a lot but , SCAD prepares you for the business world.
Pros
degree
Cons
loss of time
Enlightening and rewarding place to work.
Jumpstart Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 21, 2016
The Jumpstart Program is a great experience. A day of work was never the same. Every day the schedule would change because there would be different things for the students to do. I learned how to talk to a crowd and keep their attention. I also learned leadership skills. The team of individuals whom I worked with were wonderful. We were a team and functioned as such. The most difficult thing about the job was the uncertain hours. We were in charge and therefore responsible for students' well-being and mental health. You never knew when you might get a call and be told you were needed across town. The part of the job that I took the most pleasure in was the satisfaction of helping these new college students transition into this new chapter in their lives.
Perfect for a single person who loves to travel.
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 17, 2016
I wasn't employed here long because I found it nearly impossible to balance being a wife and a mother while working here. This job is an awesome opportunity for someone who is single who loves to travel and doesn't have a lot of other responsibilities. You really need to devote 100% of your time and energy into this position.

I attended this school, and absolutely loved it. I thought I would love working there, but this position was not for me.
Pros
Travel, meeting new people
Cons
Not family friendly
If you love a corporate enviornment that pretends to be an art school, then work here.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 17, 2016
This was one of the worst places I have ever worked, and that is not an exaggeration. The turn over rate is high and emphasis is often placed on SCAD's brand. The pay rate is not competitive and it is a stressful work environment. You are always looking behind your back out of fear that you may have done something wrong while doing your job. You are often asked to work additional times outside of usual work hours, while smiling and pretending to love SCAD. Daily tasks often change on the fly and you are often asked to do things outside of your job description, regardless of what you were hired to do. They literally take "other duties as assigned" to another level. You may even be asked to clean the bathroom.

The hardest part of this job was killing your soul and drinking the SCAD "Kool-Aid" Volunteering for events because you have been forced to do so. Employees are made to volunteer for events, if you value your job you will "volunteer". The joke is we "volun-TOLD" to this event. You are forced to pay anywhere from $100-500 to attend gala's and events at SCAD Show so that the audience is full and it looked as if SCAD had some kind of relevance.

Everyone lives in fear of the President and her husband, whenever they are up from Savannah he walks the halls looking for staff infringements, finding issues with what people are wearing to the way they are standing. He feels empowered to tear down hardworking people for sport. You cannot be seen on your cellphone in their presence as it is considered in poor form (much of the communication between staff members happen via
  more... cell). You are not allowed to say that it is too cold or too hot in the building or you would be in trouble for speaking out against SCAD. You cannot laugh too loud or frown because it may be seen as putting SCAD in a bad light. It is frowned upon if you are found "leaning" in a doorway, emails are often sent out in regards to staff dress code and behaviors.

The administration office on the 5th floor is glass encased and you must be buzzed in to see anyone and they are not accessible to the staff and or students.

It is not a true art's college as students and staff are not allowed to be themselves, you have to be a conservative, uptight, SCAD warrior. If you speak up or think on your own you will be "talked" too.

Everyone from the VP to the security officers are unhappy in their roles and this often trickles down from the higher up's to their staff. People here are good workers but they are unhappy and underpaid. There is no work-life balance, if you have a family you will be expected to push them aside to put SCAD first. If you have planned vacations you may be told that you cannot take it due to a SCAD event requiring you to volunteer. Time off is a the discretion of your manager (if they are a good manager it would not be a problem, if for some reason they do not like you additional time worked or vacation may be forfeited).

If you believe in higher education then look for work elsewhere, SCAD will suck all of the compassion and life out of you. There is no room for growth and no ability to speak to management (they could care less because they hate being there as much as you). This place has few people of color in high positions and the three that are in upper management are treated as "talking heads" simply put out there for show. It is full of institutionalized racism and treated like it is in small city Savannah rather than Atlanta.

The campus is unsafe there are often homeless people in the building and security will let anyone in.
Pros
Free Education, Great Co-Workers
Cons
Horrible Work-Enviornment
Innovative institution
Adviser (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 12, 2016
Working for this institution for the most part has been a good experience. Management is receptive to idea generation and collaboration. However, they don't build teams and provide no incentives.
Fun place to work while in school
Master Electrician (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 10, 2015
The pay and the hours are not great, but the people are great. They care about academics and understand when you need to put school or yourself first. The connections I've made are incredible.
Great place to work and great people to work with.
CHIEF OF STAFF - OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 8, 2015
I learned a lot from everyone I worked with. Everyday was an opportunity for growth and learning. Great ideas lead to opportunities for recognition.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savannah College of Art and Design. Our community is ready to answer.

Savannah College of Art and Design Reviews by Location