Savannah College of Art and Design Employee Reviews in United States

Toxic Work Environment
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 13, 2016
Pros of SCAD: The people that I worked directly with are very wonderful and fun, excellent health benefits and fitness classes available to employees which was great.

Cons: Incredibly demanding, high work volume, nights and weekends are often required, no work/life balance, families and personal relationships are required to take a back seat to SCAD, incompetence is rewarded and hard work is overlooked. Favorites of the President are placed in positions of power and have job security even when they are dishonest and inappropriate with their subordinates.
Pros
Travel perks, good coworkers
Cons
Impossible demands, toxic work environment
Perfect for a single person who loves to travel.
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 17, 2016
I wasn't employed here long because I found it nearly impossible to balance being a wife and a mother while working here. This job is an awesome opportunity for someone who is single who loves to travel and doesn't have a lot of other responsibilities. You really need to devote 100% of your time and energy into this position.

I attended this school, and absolutely loved it. I thought I would love working there, but this position was not for me.
Pros
Travel, meeting new people
Cons
Not family friendly
Enlightening and rewarding place to work.
Jumpstart Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 21, 2016
The Jumpstart Program is a great experience. A day of work was never the same. Every day the schedule would change because there would be different things for the students to do. I learned how to talk to a crowd and keep their attention. I also learned leadership skills. The team of individuals whom I worked with were wonderful. We were a team and functioned as such. The most difficult thing about the job was the uncertain hours. We were in charge and therefore responsible for students' well-being and mental health. You never knew when you might get a call and be told you were needed across town. The part of the job that I took the most pleasure in was the satisfaction of helping these new college students transition into this new chapter in their lives.
Educational
Student (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 12, 2016
Savannah College of Art and Design is a great institute and can push anyone who applies themselves to the program. The staff is very nice and can provide help to all students. The work load is a lot but , SCAD prepares you for the business world.
Pros
degree
Cons
loss of time
Resident Assistant
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 25, 2015
being a student and working is often hard to juggle, but when you work where you live, it's easier. Being a SCAD RA was a great experience. There was always something to do and getting residents involved in actives in the dorms, and finding common ground was fun.
Pros
free food, co-workers, residents, $
Cons
shared room, no free room or board
Innovative institution
Adviser (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 12, 2016
Working for this institution for the most part has been a good experience. Management is receptive to idea generation and collaboration. However, they don't build teams and provide no incentives.
Fun place to work while in school
Master Electrician (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 10, 2015
The pay and the hours are not great, but the people are great. They care about academics and understand when you need to put school or yourself first. The connections I've made are incredible.
Productive and fun workplace
Lab Monitor for Photography department (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 1, 2015
Loved working here! Great coworkers and a great boss! I really loved getting to help students out with day to day problems and working hands on with the studio and darkroom equipment.
Great place to work and great people to work with.
CHIEF OF STAFF - OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 8, 2015
I learned a lot from everyone I worked with. Everyday was an opportunity for growth and learning. Great ideas lead to opportunities for recognition.
Productive and fun
Technical Co-Director, 3D and Stop-Motion Animator (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 22, 2015
Fun and friendly place to work, especially because of the casual/informal nature of all those working there. Easy to approach others when in doubt making it a good learning environment. Some amount of politics but not too terrible.

Want to know more about Savannah College of Art and Design?

Ask a question
Very interesting work place
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2015
A typical day at work consist of me prepping/producing approximately six menu items for dinner service. Also keeping a track of the food flow and keeping the line stock completely with food until the end of the night. The job itself is pretty descent however the management is shifting which means that at the current moment there is lack of organization and communication.I have an excellent team of individuals who enjoy what they do, which makes the day go by a little faster and smoother.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Little to no organization
A Vibrant Art School
Catalog Librarian (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 10, 2015
As an alumni and a former employee, I have experienced the school form both sides. It's a fast-growing school with a well-deserved reputation in the arts and design fields. Their culture has become a vibrant and integral part of the local scene. They have recently expanded to embrace a global culture of art and history that provides an avenue for exceptional art instruction.
Pros
Vibrant and varied culture
Cons
over emphasis on business
Very fun
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 15, 2015
A great place to gain experience as a cook! There are many thing to learn and exciting recipes to use. The hardest part of the job is staying focused on work because there are so many interesting and friendly students to talk to.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Serve a lot of kids
great place to learn to sell and hire
SE recruiter for AP students (Former Employee) –  Savannah , GaMay 27, 2015
perfect for multi tasking learning and how to cold call and to get the confidence required for such tasks, maintaining your own companies, learning gross margin percent, learning how to place the right candidate into a position, learning how to produce weekly payroll, learning how to properly interview a candidate, how to work with both the business end and the employee end
Pros
great mentors truly thrown into the job
Cons
cold calls, getting own business, hiring, and placement and payroll and firing.........not much training
relaxed work style but moved back to California
SYSTEM ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 11, 2015
Check for system errors and user accounts from HR check for windows updates and apply to test work stations then if no errors apply to the groups, work with phone systen and Voicemail request.
Over all great company
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 1, 2015
Working for SCAD is better and better every time I go to work and always look forward to it. The people I meet everyday truly make the experience enjoyable and my managers do an excellent job of introducing me to people who can help me advance in my career.
Great Job
Publicity Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 30, 2015
It was amazing and was not too difficult, but I enjoyed the job. I recommend anyone who is looking for a job to apply to work for this amazing school.
Great Student job
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2015
Working for The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) was great! As a student my boss was very understanding of my work schedule and the hours are extremely flexible.
Pros
flexible hours, good management
Cons
low pay, student job
Great Student Work Experience
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2015
Resident assistants are student leaders who live in residence halls and assist the students who live there. RAs assist in building a community atmosphere, assist students in connecting with one another, plan programs for the residents, perform administrative duties and help enforce college policies. I have truly enjoyed my experience as an RA. I have gained a better understanding of time management and working with others.
Pros
Decreased Housing, Free Meal Plan
Cons
Low Income
It's refreshing to be in a creative environment
Admission Department (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 12, 2015
Some departments are better than others. I worked for SCAD at both campuses. The President is a great visionary and brilliant leader. Sadly, some of the most genuine people that truly love the college and have its best interest at heart get the shaft. I saw way too many wonderful people and SCAD enthusiast get let go or quit.

If you like working events (no extra pay) and getting to see amazing exhibits then it's a great place to be. Keep a smile on your face and a positive attitude and you'll be fine. Like with any job though, if you no longer enjoy the work environment or the people you work with, then it's best to move on.
Pros
great opportunities to take classes and attend events.