Savannah State University Employee Reviews

Overly stressful job as far as band without security of beijg paid on time
Band Member (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 30, 2017
The band was overworked and underpaid. While we only had 19 hours of recorded work per week, we often times worked way more than that. The financial awards we not very helpful toward tuition and other necessities. Performances were very last minute and were very far away. Most times, we had to eat very small meals because we were not given enough money to supply adequate meals for the entire band which was roughly 70 people.
Pros
Still got paid
Cons
Short breaks, last minute notice of performances, unexcused from class
So much potential
Financial Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 12, 2017
Can be so much better if environment wasn't so infused with unnecessary politics. University has so much potential if clear direction is given to faculty and staff.
Simple and fast Paced
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 10, 2017
The environment is fast paced and most workers as friendly and always happy to help. You get to work with a variety of people in a multitude of situations depending on the department that you work with. While working with the QEP, I got to work with all departments, including the President of the college. Friendships grow and the work is worth the pay. Would suggest the QEP of Savannah State.
Great Place
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 9, 2017
This is the University I attend and it was a very well relaxed environment. I was able to go in after my classes and use the office to study as well .
Very professional and straight forward work culture
Program Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 24, 2017
I enjoyed the tremendous amount of information I learned about administration, policies, and cohesiveness within a public college setting. In addition, the organization is well structured and operate in an extremely efficient manner.
Great place to work! Overall great working environment.
Biology Tutor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 29, 2017
I love working here. It is one of the best jobs I have ever had and it is so fulfilling to help people in need. I help students in the area of biology. I go over biology concepts that the student might be struggling with. Being a tutor is also beneficial because you can use the time you are not tutoring to do your own homework and or catch up with some studying.
Computer Services
Computer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 6, 2017
I supported technology within the campus. The job itself is not bad but the way issues are handled by management makes the job less favorable. I feel that it does offer future advancement but I'm not sure of the route that needs to be taken to get there. I'm sure it's a great place to retire from but it's not for everyone and nothing is wrong with moving forward and on
Great Place
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 2, 2017
SSU is a great company to work for. The staff and other associates provide support and a great work life balance. Would recommend
Productive place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 9, 2017
Very challenging and rewarding all at the same time. You must be able to handle more than one thing at a time. This is across the board in any position. Being versatile opens the door for advancement.
Pros
Advancement
No comment
Defensive Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 8, 2017
Savannah state university is a very good hbcu. It is not a football school. The administration is not committed to the football program. This effects the school spirit for football, the ability to recruit quality athletes and overall morale.
Pros
Being on the field with the players
Cons
Administration not committed to the football program.
Great work environment with room to grow in the profession
Strength and Conditioning Coach Intern (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 4, 2017
Great work environment, hands on experience in coaching my own teams. Supervisor is great to work under, tons of autonomy for me to be able to learn from my own experiences.
Pros
Great work environment, free lunch
Cons
Not a paid internship
Upward Bound Program
Site Coordinator, Johnson High School (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 26, 2016
Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree.
Relaxed working environment
Head Coach (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 22, 2016
A typical work day is relaxed, no one breathing down your neck, to get work done, staff is allowed one free meal a day, which can be a huge saving.
Pros
Job security is good
Cons
Compensation is one of the lowest of schools in the conference
Productive and useful
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 12, 2016
This job came with a lot of benefits. It gave me the opportunity to interact without a lot of students by helping them in any way needed. My supervisor allowed me to take over the classroom and provide tutoring during class.
Pros
Benefits, learning process, pay
Tutoring
Lab Supervisor/Professional Tutor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 1, 2016
Great people to work around. They are laid back, and are always willing to help. The students for the most part take their education seriously. It is a fun environment.
Beneficial to my professional development
Student Communications and Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 17, 2016
Being a Communications & Outreach Intern at the Office of the Quality Enhancement Plan has allowed me to touch on several aspects of effective communication. I have had the pleasure of being the student face of a social media campaign, as well as being the first ever student host of the Write Attitude Radio Show. In addition to these roles, I also developed interview questions and stories for our newsletter publication.
Pros
Office lunches and retreats
Cons
Heavy face-to-computer
Assisted
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 29, 2016
The position included research, data entry and systems designs. The team collaborated and worked diligently to meet the deadline of implementing the new computer system. The job was a great experience!
Pros
Workshop
Cons
Travel
A great place to work
Immunization Coordinator/CNA/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 24, 2016
Working at Savannah State University in the Harris McDew Health Center helped me to grow and learn many things. I was assigned to various jobs, because of my quick ability to learn. The nurses helped me to be able to complete many task needed to assist the students.

I was able to work closely with the secretary, LPN's, Nurse Practitioner and Physician.

My co-workers were very pleasant and we got along. We worked as a team on many task.

The hardest part of the day sometimes was dealing with the overload of students who came in on a daily basis. When they were needed services they would become very inpatient and the staff would do their best to assist them in a timely manner.
Pros
Health events, workshops and travel
Cons
Short breaks
love working with students awsome place to work
Sports Analyst (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 11, 2016
getting kids ready for practice and checking there class,learning the college rules the do and don'ts management and co-workers are awsome,keeping the kids on task with there school work working with the students and getting them prepare to play a came making sure very kids know there assignment
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no hours only set pay
N/a
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 28, 2016
Great educational institution that employs it graduates. A caring nurturing college where employees are valued. A wonderful place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savannah State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2