Save Mart Supermarkets

Save Mart Supermarkets Employer Reviews

Good place to work but with absence of management
Service Specialist (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMay 3, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule; friendly co-workers; satisfactory wage; good benefits.
Cons: lack of discipline and organizational skills from the management.
A typical day for a Service Specialist at SaveMart would be helping out customers either in-person or by phone; stocking shelves; being responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of the store area, as well as the administrative offices.

However, the management was disorganized and most of the time absent. No rules, whatsoever, about disciplining – more... co- workers for irresponsible behavior.

Co-workers were friendly and made me feel like I am part of their family from the first day of my employment there. They were eager to help me with any issues I had and respected and appreciated my role as a Service Specialist.

One of the hardest part of the job was the harsh weather conditions that we -Service Specialist- had to endure outside the parking lot of the store during heavy winters and/or hot summers.

The most enjoyable and fulfilling part of my job was helping out customers and co-workers, and in return receiving their gratitude and appreciation either with a smile or with perfect evaluations about my performance. – less
great people, fun place to work.
Department Manager (Current Employee), Fresno, CAFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: crazy work weeks and hours
Great people, fun place to work. This company provides excellent training and room for growth. I enjoy interacting with people and I enjoy that evety day brings something new. The hardest part about this job its that it is very physical and you work crazy hours. This job is perfect for those young and single workers. What I enjoyed most is that I had – more... the opportunity ti work with some of the hardet working people I have ever met. I have also learned through the year different management styles, which I can use in furthering my career choices. – less
I love connecting with my friends
Bakery/ Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Visalia, CAFebruary 4, 2014
working at a local grocery store i was able to make great relationships with customers.
Productive and fun workplace
Head Clerk (Current Employee), Selma, CAFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: short breaks and lunches
Everyday I get to come into work and meet wonderful people. I basically run the store after the store manager goes home for the day. I have learned a lot about how do help people, how to deal with them positively and how to make the most of my job.
Good place to work but not a place to make a career
Bakery/Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: fast-paced, upbeat, health care available, union
Cons: no set schedule, union, it's a customer service job
My coworkers are great and overall the management team in my store is amazing too. I'm part of a union which I'm sure some have mixed feelings about but in a slump economy it's nice to know I have some job security. Overall the company I'd rate a 3 out of 5. The people really make the job with this company.
Poor Company to work for
IT (Former Employee), Modesto, Corporate OfficeJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: local
Cons: poor ethics, politics, & culture!
I worked for Save Mart for over 5-years. The Corporate culture is horrible & highly political. They have below average salaries & no career advancement opportunities. And operationally speaking, they are very unethical!
Creative wocrk enviorment
MERCHANDISING SERVICES COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Dublin, CAJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: free products
Cons: limited software
Our primary function consisted of selecting and creating the weekly newspaper insert. Responsible for marketing and price point selection. Also to provide administrative and clerical support to the district managers.
TOO CORPORATE. Don't think there will be opportunity for you to advance if you work at the corporate level. You'll be stuck. in a dead end.
Admin Asst. (Former Employee), HourlyJanuary 15, 2014
Cons: no advancment opportunities into management positions at corporate level
The culture is depressing. Do your job and don't ask questions. Just do as your told. Your opinion does not matter. Be open to having projects taken away, returned, changed and torn apart only to start over again because the managers decided their ideas were better. The Managers in place don't want to promote from within. No advancement opportunities.The – more... employees don't talk to each for fear of getting into trouble. They must run everything through their managers as if they are not to be trusted - of course, who can trust any hourly worker. The managers of each department don't let their employees work with other hourly workers outside of their department, if they need to. Hourly workers must go through their managers before working with other hourly workers from other departments to get their jobs done. It is very top heavy. Too many chiefs with their fingers involved in every single part of one project. Take too long to make decision, because every little detail has to be approved by the biggest chief. If you like being told what to do, when to do it and how to do it and be a robot, then this is the place for you. If I could give this company a negative stars rating, I would. – less
Great First Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Fresno, CAAugust 6, 2013
Loved loved loved this job. Wish I would have stayed a bagger. Being a cashier is great however my time there it was all done by sonority not to many head cashiers are going to leave any time soon, so it takes a while before you start to get the good cashier hours.
Steady place to work with good values.
Bakery/Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Modesto, CAJuly 24, 2013
At Save Mart, they expect a lot out of their employees. But they give just as much back to us,
Daily life of Save Mart
Service Clerk (Current Employee), Fresno, CAMay 29, 2013
A typical day at Save Mart is adventurous. You meet a lot of people that has quite the character. I learned from Save Mart that regardless of how hard you work some do not appreciate your work. I think that my managers are not very proficient on their job title. I find that Save Mart is not a difficult job.
Productive, customer service oriented workplace.
Cashier (Former Employee), Madera, CAMay 21, 2013
Pros: really good health benefits and reasonable lunch hours
Cons: treatment of employees is not very good. overtime after 10 hours. 9.5 hour work day without overtime, and short breaks.
As soon as I clocked in I had to make sure my tie was straight and my apron was neat, then I go to a cash register stand and proceed to checkout customers and their groceries.

Here, being my first job, I learned good work ethic and putting the store first, customer service above all, cash handling, and helping others.

The key carrier/supervisors were – more... incredibly good managers working with employees and helping out as best they could. Unfortunately the store manager and the assistant store manager were not very good. The treatment of the employees was not very good. The head manager was quite strict and seemed like he didn't care about the people who worked for him. I even had a vacation cancelled without any notice ahead of time.

The hardest part was balancing work and school. There were times when I had to change my schedule at work because I had school at a certain time, even though I gave them my school schedule.

I enjoyed working with my coworkers because the fun we had made working bearable. I also liked being the reliable one to go in and cover a shift or help out when the store needed. I was known to call in to see if they needed me to go in early to work. – less
Basic Day at sm
Bakery/Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Clovis, CAMay 19, 2013
Depending on the shift. In the bakery we would have open and close. Opening was always a little more challenging as closing was always easier but drag on a little longer. We would help customers on the counter with sliced meat, salads, hot food and bakery products. While helping customers, we would have production to get done also. Multi-tasking is – more... a must. Then Clean up, requires basic knowledge. – less
Alright job
Supervisor(Key Holder) (Current Employee), Carson City, NVMay 9, 2013
Pros: health benefits
Cons: .unreal expectations
Save Mart offers large amounts of training. There are many things to be learned. They provide great training. Management has unreal expectations for you to meet. They like to give promotions without the pay. Co workers are usually really cool people as long as they are pulling their weight. The hardest part of the job is the work hours, one day you – more... would be scheduled to work late night and the next day at 4am. This was very common for everyone. The most enjoyable part of working at Save Mart is meeting new people and learning to work with all types of people – less
Productive place to work
HR Generalist/Employee Relations Supervisor (Former Employee), Modesto, CAApril 26, 2013
Pros: continue education provided; company matched 401k
Cons: healthcare cost
Typical work day consist of more than 8 hours a day, depending on the needs of the business and department.

Learned all state and federal labor laws.

Management was always consistent and available.

Hardest part of the job getting enough time to work in the office. The position required a lot of time to be spent in the store.

Most enjoyable part – more... of the job was the atmosphere and enviroment. – less
Productive workplace where customers come first
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Delano, CAFebruary 15, 2013
It's a fairly fast-paced job with a opportunities to expand experiences. Holidays are the hardest part of the job but you are almost required to talk and be outgoing, so it lessens the stress.
refurbished foreclosed homes
Service Clerk (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJanuary 26, 2013
tear out carpet, demolition work. replace drywall, build patios, and fences. learned how to be good with my hands.
Good environment, learned to work with different types of people, helped with my social skills, and people skills
Service Specialist (Former Employee), Visalia, CAJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: health benefits, good pay
Cons: working in different weather conditions outside
Most of my days involved helping customers with groceries, answering phones and stocking shelves. Made a lot of close friends with my co-workers, and had good relationships with my managers. The hardest part of my job was learning to get along with all different sorts of people. I also think that was the most enjoyable part, because it changed my outlook – more... a lot. – less
productive fast paced work place
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Fresno, CAOctober 16, 2012
Pros: health benefits, dental benefits, and vision benefits
Cons: awkward hours and not having a set schedule
A typical day at work includes tending to an array of customers, throwing freight (stocking shelves), it is very fast paced and productivity is a must. I have learned many different skills such as cash handling, customer service, how to work a pallet jack, and drive a forklift. As a manager you are responsible for over 20 employees in a day and I worked – more... as a manager for 2yrs. I would have to say the hardest part of the job would be standing in the register for 8hrs. it is just tough on a persons feet.I would have to say the most enjoyable part of my job would have to be seeing so many different faces and getting to take care my customers. – less
your life, your town, your job
Systems Administrator Microsoft (Current Employee), Modesto, CASeptember 17, 2012
Pros: some what flexible hours, some on-call
Cons: lack of support, lack of planning
The System administrator team is a great team to be on and work with, biggest problem is the disconnect from the management team. IT is a completely different culture from the rest of the company. Decisions are made not by committee but by just a couple of key people regardless of any technical input or suggestions from any of the SMS in that area. – more... I did start out at a entry level member and promoted up within 3 years. One of the most difficult parts as a administrator was getting anyone to commit to any long term plan for any changes or improvements to the infrastructure looking foreword. – less

About Save Mart Supermarkets

Save Mart Supermarkets is an even bigger wheel in the California grocery business now that it has doubled in size as a result – Read more