Sbarro Employee Reviews

Work as a family and our goal is to make everyone happy.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 21, 2014
* As a G.M my days starts early everyday because i have to ensure that we are ready for the lunch rush and the store is properly organized and clean. everyday when i come in i looked at the reports from the day before and ensure that all the reports are enter in the system correctly. My pizza maker and kitchen person also come in at 8 am so i print them their par sheets and briefly instruct them for their shifts.get my self organized and print all the important daily operation document and then get on the front to start selling my beautiful product.Every day is different in restaurant business.so u can not predict the day but what u can do is prepare yourself for any kind of obstacles.
*I learn new things everyday. customer service, cooking, cleaning,management,organization,communication.the list on going.
*Management is what i'm best at.Running a restaurant is easy but managing a restaurant is way different then just work as manager in a restaurant. Management is consist of proper calculation, organization and reviewing the trend.Management takes more then a book knowledge u have to make decision whats best for business and at the same time u don't want to compromise your product or costumer service.
*I don't have any particular one. Being a G.M of a place u have to prepare yourself for any situation.
Pros
this is what i enjoy doing in my life and sbarro pay me good too.
Cons
job insecurity.
A good company, creating Customers for Life
Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  NassauOctober 26, 2015
A day at Sbarro meant one of "Family" with each customer I met, even a disgruntle one.
I've learned that every Customer is important. They visit your Business because you provide a product and service that they want with money to spend with you and I've learned to suggestive sell "a beverage, dessert or salad"
Upper management was always willing to listen and assist whenever and where ever necessary. Coaching and Council were available daily.
My co-workers were not always happy at work because sometimes they have a bad day and do not handle situations professionally; then I would have to do damage control which sometimes result in Corrective Documentation,nevertheless we assume Business.
The hardest part of the job was cancelling the Delivery service which impacted my sales.
The most enjoyable part off the job was having repeat Customers, Tourists and Bahamians from the Family Islands. Seeing them again and calling their names, knowing their order and up selling made my day. We created Customers for life
Pros
Free Lunch was a meal valued @ $15.00 No alcohol, no Juices
Cons
No breaks for Management, staff 1/2 hour. Health Insurance
Sbarro
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 2, 2014
A typical day at Sbarro was all about spacing things out so you could get it all done in one day and not have to rush before you have to go home. The job was very simple, but it had to be on point every time. The food was the hardest to make because you had to memorize the recipes, but once you got the hang of it, It was no big deal. Managing shifts is different everywhere, but at Sbarro it was the generic managing labor, cash control, making sure everyone's happy and making sure the food is perfect. I had extra duties to take on as well because my General Manager always had emergencies or sicknesses to deal with so I had a lot of responsibility. It was a small store, in the food court of a mall, but running the store with just you and the Assistant Manger 80% of the time is hard work. I loved that job, as stressful as it could be at times, I was good at what I did and I knew what I was doing. The people that I worked with were my favorite part of my job, they respected me, but we could still make work fun and enjoyable and still get everything done correctly and in a timely manner.
Pros
free lunch, flexible schedule
Cons
no breaks, bad healthcare
Productive & Great Experience
General Manager June of 2011 (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSAugust 25, 2013
I generally worked anywhere from 50-60 hours weekly with Sbarro, which at times was hard; having one day off & with those hours it did not mean much time for family or other activities. A typical day at work started with prepping and opening front and back line while attending to my morning paperwork duties as manager. Food was made fresh & served hot with the hospitality customers deserved in order to create satisfaction & customer returns. I managed anywhere from 2-5 employees daily assigning tasks to keep my eatery in orderly operation while keeping the eatery cleaned, organized, & maintained. I loved my team I worked with; the biggest achievement was including everyone to make sure it was a team effort & no employee felt left out. I learned everything from leadership & hospitality to management operations.duties & ServSafe certification. The most enjoyable part of the job was a sense of responsibility not only running a restaurant but being responsible for the future succcesses of others.
easy going fun location to work from
Mailroom/Office Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYMay 19, 2014
My days are always busy here at Sbarro with various duties to perform answering all emails from all locations requiring supplies for their restaurant needs, daily duties include mailrun,checking all area's for interoffice mail and outgoing as well, checking all xerox units and making sure all are in working order as well as supply with paper for each unit.also shipping all outgoing package using UPS Worldship unit as well as the Pitney Bowes postage machine I've learned that the restaurant business is very competitive but overall exciting as well,my coworkers are all great and hard working the hardest part is having to say goodbye to so many people along the way people come and go in this business but the most enjoyable thing is the staff who I so enjoy their company and input the people here are so relaxed and well spoken we are all in a great atmosphere here at the corporate office.
Pros
discounts on food at any of their locations.
Cons
health care is expensive.
Productive Every day
Server/ Cashier? Food preparer (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 27, 2015
The customer ALWAYS comes first. Everyday I dealt with people who loved pizza. I mean who doesn't like pizza nowadays? Sbarro is a obvious choice for pizza fanatics and Sbarro pushed that goal to satisfying the costumer.

When I worked there, it was a real fast paced atmosphere. You can flooded with a wave of customers and not even know it. Management was the best because they knew when this happened. Having freshly made pizza for the line(Display) was the eye catcher for the customer. So that meant that you had to make the pizza an art. For those who love to make things and like to show your work, Sbarro was the place to work, The Team was the best because they all shared a common goal: Satisfying the customer. at the end of every day, responsibilities such as cleaning up was a priority. Mopping, sweeping, and whiping down all the ickyness of the work was a whole new challenge.

All-in-all, Sbarro is a great place to work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks. long frequent standing.
Productive and Fast paced work environment.
Cashier/ Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJuly 15, 2015
A typical day at work is a busy lunch rush and then a slow period around 3 pm. to restock the refrigerators.
Its a food court so if any other places need some help i would go an help them as well. The food court consists of Sbarro, Manchu Wok, and Subway.
I learn some different techniques everyday and how to make different types of foods like: pizza, garlic knots, and samosas etc.
My co-workers are nice as well as very skilled, hard working, very helpful too. Very reliable when you need some extra help or need to trade shifts.
Hardest part of the job probably just closing up the store. That's probably the only most frustrating part because there's a lot to do in all under about 20 minutes of closing.
My most enjoyable part of the day is the fun we have in the work place. The jokes, laughter, practically being a family its a good feeling.
Pros
Free lunch, Reliable, and good atmosphere.
Cons
Not enough hours, tips weren't the best, but that's bout it.
The job itself was simple but the staff needed training and continuitity
Shift Supervisor: (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 9, 2014
I would have enjoyed my job there is the upper management had consistency with the procedures and the daily running of the store. I learned that it is difficult if you are the only member of the leadership team who is trying to enforce or uphold certain standards that the job becomes taxing and difficult. The staff in the kitchen was there for many years and were never updated on the new standards from the Board of Health. Therefor there was resentment when correcting things that needed to be updated to the decade by myself. they also were not held accountable for any mishandling of products , and the very relaxed way in which they prepared the items for the public. I enjoyed the contact with the customer and especially with the regular and the locals.
Pros
the meals were free and the atmosphere was pleasant
Cons
the lack of training
Educational and fun!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAAugust 9, 2015
Working at Sbarro has been an excellent experience for me. I've learned many skills that I can apply in both my professional and personal life. I enjoy working with all of my co-workers, every single person there has been an integral part of my development. The hardest part of this job is the strenuous labor but it always pays off in the end when I get to see a customer leave with a smile on their face. My favorite aspects of my job are finding new ways to challenge myself each day I work. I set a goal to learn and implement something new on a daily bases. Working here has helped me improve my life in so many ways. I've developed excellent customer interaction skills as well as managing a team of people, managing responsibility and even managing my own personal life.
Great Pay, but you'll work for it!!
Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAMay 13, 2012
Sbarro was a REALLY fun job, Gm's get paid hourly and you can schedule yourself as much as want for extra OT/Pay! (As long as your hitting labor goals of course) -- The downside is that the Upper managers have NO clue of what thier doing (which is why they went Bankrupt) In order to keep thier jobs, they constantly threaten yours. When left with only "2 managers" to run the store, they rarely seek out or interview.. Instead they force you to work 7 days while they take thier time. Even if you find someone to promote or hire, it'll be weeks before they take the time to hire them. Even then, 10 days of training for your NEW manager = the same cycle all over a again.
Pros
pay for hours worked
Cons
no job security, quality of life, no integrity, inconsistant
productive,busy hard working enviroment
line server/cashier/cook (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 30, 2012
a typical day at work would be putting up the display foods and making them look fresh. preparing pizza and other types of food..keeping watch on the quantity of food there is to refill its place.making customers feel satisfied with their service.working the cash register.counting the money that was made at the end of the night.

i learned how to make pizza and other types of italian food.

my co-workers were all good people and made the job seem very productive.

the hardest part of work was keeping up with the customers i say that because the restaurant was located in the airport wich made the location very busy.

the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to put a smile on the customers face.
This Co needs to improve on some things as far as taking care of the people that drive the buisness.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTJanuary 16, 2013
I arrive in the morning and i set up the store for the day and i take the deposits to the bank and prepare food to serve for our guests i pick up here and tidy up there, i cook this and i cook that, i involve myself with all aspects of the store as to ensure proper operations. I am the General Manager for the store and i am also involved in traing of all my employees, i have been there for almost 6 years and there really is not anything that i concider hard to do there. I love customer service and i enjoy all the new people that i meet daily.
Pros
good wage, free food etc
Cons
outrageous budget numbers impossible, bosses who forget what it was like to be at the gm level.
Fun and productive workplace
Prep-Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 10, 2014
Working at Sbarro was incredibly fun. It was definitely enjoyable, mainly because of the customers. To serve my customers is my specialty. This made it very enjoyable and fun.

As for my co-workers, it was even more fun. I love cooperating with my co-workers, made it fun. If there were any issues, I just resolve until the issue is no longer troubling. Sometime, I do learn little bit about myself, that I need a little more maturing. Because of my Managers, and co-workers, I learned a great deal, and have definitely improved my character.

Of course, this particular job is fast-paced work-environment. May not be for everyone. However, for me, it was nothing.
Pros
free food
Cons
laid off
Sbarro's was a fun and family orientated work enviornment.
Cashier/server (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIMay 29, 2015
When I first started at Sbarro I wasn't the best at the job task. Thanks to the support and patience of my managers and team mates I got better quickly. Majority of the time on weekends it was very busy, my team mates and managers worked well with me and together with customer service with a smile. Even with rude or impatient customers my managers and team members kept calm and very professional. What I loved most about this job is that it was a fun environment but we still got the job done quickly. The only hard part was keeping up with the customer demand of the fresh and tasty food.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Great first job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 22, 2014
Typical day would be restock all cups, plates, forks, spoons and knives. The refrigerator also had to be filled with bottled beverages. Once all that is complete, we help the customer with their food desires. I've learned that teamwork is very important when trying to meet sales at a certain time. Management was great. They were understanding when I had to go back to school. My co-workers were cool. Everyone got along pretty well. The hardest part of the job was trying to please customers who you already tried to help, but they weren't having it. I enjoyed meeting new people.
Pros
flexiable hours, free food, great management
Cons
no healthcare
Responsibilities
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 3, 2013
Overall I I have had a plesent expperience with Sbarro. I initally started as a pizza cook and was quickly developed into a shift supervisor. In that rool I was responsible for assisting in the cost control thruout the store. I helped to maintain inventory, labor, and sales during my shift. I assisted in the staffing and training of employees. Managed scheduled shifts and helped to maintain a positive work environment. I was responsible for solving work related issues and helping to make the store and management better. Now i am ready to move on to a bigger roll and take on more responsibility.
fun enviornment
cashier/server (Former Employee) –  bowling green, kyOctober 13, 2014
a typical work day started out by serving customers as soon as you clocked in, serving someone included making sure every customer got everything they wanted and also to make them happy and glad they came to sbarro. then we would also have cashier duty if we were low on staff, cashier duties included taking the customers order as nice and as swiftly and accurate as possible. also included giving and receiving the correct change. i also had to make the food and do the dishes. i also cleaned when not doing any of the other requirements of the job.
Pros
free lunch, nice people to work with
Cons
short hours
working at sbarros pizza
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 15, 2015
open the store. turn on lights,ovens, check safe, check emails, learned so much, how to make food fast and accurate,delegate orders,customer service.my first two years i had bad management but after the new manager took over and saw my potential and worked on my week spots and made me a great shift supervisor. ive had some amazing co-workers. the hardest part of my job was the old manager treating us in a unfair manner. the most enjoyable part is making some ones day.
Pros
lots of hours. free lunch. working with good people.
Cons
management
First Job First Days Of Working
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAMay 19, 2015
Being at work would be like home. The co-workers were very nice and we got alone right away. The only had part about this job was that it was my first job EVER. i was very nervous the other day but when i came in they put me right to work which i suspected they would do. I started as an cashier and by the end the day i learned just about everything i messed up a few time but i always corrected my mistakes. The best part of the job was i had gotten a lot of hours so i was busy.
Pros
Free Lunches, Co-workers, Hours
Cons
None at all
great job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eustis, FLMay 4, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Sbarro. I was being trained for a management position and was just about to be promoted but the store closed down. It was a very fun job, I got to talk to a lot of people because it was in the middle of a mall. The people were great, the other workers were great. I spent my time making pizzas (fresh from scratch), cleaning, helping customers face to face and over the phone and I was being trained to become a manager.
Pros
management training, customer service, a lot of hours
Cons
it closed with no more then a days notice