SBM Management Employee Reviews

Terrible company don't apply
Lead custodian (Former Employee) –  Kenosha Wisconsin, Amazon locationJuly 23, 2015
SBM is the only company I ever walked off and resigned. The manager treats the workers like slave. This company is an American Sweat Shop this is no joke. They keep little to no staff in order to gain more money for the company. I was the lead custodian and was not allowed to train new workers more than 15 minutes they were given their own sections and just left. Amazon is a huge building and the workers well the four workers are responsible for everything. The manager does nothing but walk around looking for things to tell about. Nonetheless, this is the most unorganized, underplayed, and worse company to work for.
run far far away
supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Portland maineMay 5, 2015
If you are thinking about trying to work at sbm well I hope you like being treated Like **** the manager Who comes Up from Rhode island has no clue as to what he is doing. Yelling at people insulting them Putting them down just plan unprofessional behavior. I would say to call hr but they don't care I was a supervisor for sbm I had some good people but sbm didn't see it that way if you can read and have mind of your own then they want to get read of you. They try to make you work all night and not pay you I made 13:94 a hour there but I was salary So after 8 hours were done I was no longer getting payed but sbm wanted me to work 10 or more hours no pay
Pros
nothing i can think of
Cons
all of sbm is the worst company ever
Temporary paycheck while searching for other
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 30, 2015
The last thing you would want to do is take anything that happens to you as a manager with SBM personally. It is like riding 2 horses, pulling in opposite directions, at the same time.

The projects are under-bid, meaning you can easily become a scapegoat for either the client or SBM (most likely both). You will not have the resources to get the job done, and your time will not be respected. Long days are a fact of life for managers in 2015, but why does this mean a late night can't be started by a later start the next day? Why can't you know in advance when it's not an emergency?

Ok, I guess  more... it's a start in facility management for those who are really interested. There are also large, prestigious accounts, but taking this job in an effort to eventually work for the client will result in disappointment, once the client understands how SBM operates.

Training is sorely lacking. You have 1 shot to learn everything, and you probably will not realize it at the time. HR support is not much better for any situation you might encounter in service industry management. There are a few isolated nice people at corporate, and it really catches you off guard when you encounter one of them.

Expect 1980's style screaming and yelling from regional management and above, without anything constructive to help you solve issues. Managing 25 people is like managing 125, trying to give custodians 5 different routes per week, to compensate for understaffing.

Especially watch out if you are not bilingual. You may be hired to produce the fairly sophisticated reports and for client relations, but directing those who don't speak English is VERY hard for most people. Yes, a few have succeeded, but the odds are highly unfavorable, especially if you are in a union environment.

Only other thing I'd add is that this is evidently a really difficult industry. I checked a few competitors, and found plenty of similar miserable experiences at all levels.  less
Pros
Tolerable compensation, chance to enter a new industry, opportunities for the bilingual
Cons
Working conditions, job insecurity, lack of training, lack of reasonable support throughout the organization
i would not recomend working for this company
leadcustodian (Former Employee) –  south portland meNovember 5, 2014
I am here to tell anyone looking for a job youre better off on unenjoyment.The managers have no clue how to manage their crew the company hired me as a lead and with 5 months they demoted my pay and my hours with out no prior notice.The company also expects you to work 10 hrs into a 8 hr shift.The management does't communicate with you when you need something.The equipment is always breaking down.if you have a problem they don't wanna hear.the hardest part of the job was dealing with the client.its hard to work when you have a facilities manager insulting you daily.Last but not least there H R department is horrible they don't listen to youre issues they don't care about youre problems they want whats best for them no one else.Its a wonder they have any emploees at all.
No loyalty to caring managers
Site manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 16, 2014
I feel very let down by the loyalty displayed to me as a manager after being let go after discovering 2 employees stealing from a Johnson and Johnson site. The 2 custodians reported me as accusing them of stealing when I showed proof to HR and also of being overly strict when many complaints where being committed. I gave the company 100% and they did not give me a fair chance.

Comment – October 26, 2014

I agree with former employee and loyalty is low on SBM's list.

Great work enviroment
Day Porter (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 8, 2014
My day consists of maintain restrooms and common areas to make sure they are clean and stocked with product.
Good compensation, high turnover, poor support/upper management
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 28, 2014
I worked in SBM management for nearly a year, and it's a frustrating place to work. They are a contractor for janitorial and maintenance services, and mostly focus on large industrial companies. In Wichita, that is aerospace. Being a contractor in these situations is rough, as both sides (customer and internally) have their hands in your business and try to control your management, leaving you vulnerable and without clear direction. The customer usually also has a poor image for your work, looking down on the "cleaning service", sadly just being part of the industry. People think of cleaning and  more... maintenance services as very low class and un-respectable. Their average management turnover is high nationwide, and my site had seen 5 different managers in 2 years. They pay well (also provide a good cell phone, tablet, and laptop to management), especially for if you don't have much experience, but it's for a reason. They get as much as they can out of you, and move on to the next candidate. Much of SBM's practices are more of a handicap or hindrance than a supportive tool, and they also focus too much on data tracking through their SBM Insite tool. They expect you to manage more than 10 people per manager, and track EVERYTHING you do through their data tool (which the customer doesn't really care about). It's a good learning experience, enforces micromanagement and technology as a business resource, but is taken too far. And when everything they ask you to do takes you away the actual customer's work, they have no support and throw you under the bus (saw at multiple sites). Many of the people I worked with were enjoyable, humble, hard working people. But it's janitorial, so many speak poor if any English or have minimal education (may sound bad, but it's the truth). The hours can be flexible, but being a salaried member means you stay until the job gets done. Also, weekends are often worked, because if there is a water leak or maintenance issue over the weekend, managers HAVE to respond and go to the site. I brought some issues to our regional management, about many things just not being sustainable, and what we can do to realistically improve, and was turned down. This lead to a completely unannounced write-up, and quick termination for "performance issues", even though our site standards had improved since my arrival and our site had met quarterly bonus standards every time. There is a lot of management politics, and politics with the customer, which becomes exhausting. Too many people try to play games with your business, and acting as the mortar between the bricks (SBM and the customer), site management takes the pressure and blame from both (hence the high turnover). Some sites are better than others, but many of these issues I know to be universal across the company. Many managers have their personal lives and marriages stressed under this job, which accounts for as many resignations as SBM will fire. Overall, it is possible to be a good learning experience, and resume builder, but not a very sustainable career. Merely a stepping stool to another job, and with overall management and employee turnover, apparently SBM sees it that way as well.  less
Pros
compensation, flexibility, diverse learning opportunity
Cons
high turnover, stressful, long hours, politics/games
The company lacks leadership
assist (Former Employee) –  Wichita ksJune 2, 2014
The company in simple terms is modern day slavery. You have to be white to get promoted
Pros
0 non
Cons
to many to list.
One big joke of a company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJune 2, 2014
Was hired as a supervisor was looking forward to the experience after excepting the position with in a few weeks it was very clear that the site leader had no idea what she was doing and was a complet crazy treated the employees like they where her slaves especially the ones who where her on work visas and those who spoke very little English by far one of the worst operations I have ever worked for upper management is a clueless as thier site managers HR. has no real cares when it comes to the way employees are treated and the minute you try to tell them there's a probablem they are working on sending you out the door very disponted
Cons
over worked staff, equipment is junk bad pay
One of the worst FM companys out there
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Nation Wide AccountsMarch 4, 2014
Bate and Switch is a normal business practice with Clients and Employees. Management is it own victim. The other 2 reviews are spot on about this origination. Company culture is a joke.
Pros
not much
Cons
far too many to list
Glass Ceiling concerns
Assistant Site Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 15, 2014
The MIT program is exceptional, great way for college graduates to get their foot in the door. But may be difficult to grow within the company because of lack of training time with Site Management. The management staff is really busy and may not have the proper time to train employees on site. The company is so big it may be hard to connect with others that are in the same position as you are in.
Pros
great starting pay
Cons
lack of training time from management staff to train after mit program is completed

1.8