SCANA CORPORATION Employee Reviews in United States

Poor Management
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCOctober 26, 2015
I worked for the company for over 6 years and loved every minute there. My Co workers became my family and the culture there is simple, do the right thing for the right reasons the first time. However, when upper management was replaced the environment shifted and was virtually impossible to stay positive and do a good job. The poor choice in management asside, this a company full of excellent, dedicated people and working with them was wonderful.
Benefits
Never Again
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Call CenterJanuary 28, 2016
This is by far the most stressful job I have ever had. You will never have a permanent shift. New shifts are bid on every 6 months and you get to pick your shift in order of which employees have the most points. Points are awarded for seniority and can be awarded or taken away for accuracy of calls, being on time, using "personal time" (yes, going to the restroom hurts you) and so much more. This is micromanagement to the fullest. Every second of your work shift is monitored, being available for calls, being on the phone, not on the phone but working on an account, lunch, breaks, "personal time" (hope you don't have a calling from nature when its not a break or it counts against your valuable points), meetings, training and even more. You do not get separate sick time and are only allowed two emergency call out days each year. If you become seriously ill, need short or long term disability or have a child you will not earn any precious points for the time you are out which means you will be at the bottom of the barrel when it comes time to bid on a new shift. The health insurance, pay and benefits that are available are pretty good but not good enough to be berated constantly by customers who do not have their service on because they neglected to pay their bills for multiple months and it is always your fault. The best part of this job was that it provided me with the ability to pay my bills, though I did have to be on medication to work it as long as I did.
Pros
occasional free lunch, forced overtime(if you like that kind of thing)
Cons
micromanagement, forced overtime, hard work/life balance with changing shifts
Family Oriented work environment with a strong focus on safety
Component/ Program Engineer (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCJune 26, 2015
Management is extremely approachable and very transparent. They make it a point to ensure all employee are abreast to the changes in the company. Take take pride in getting to know employees.

The work culture is focus on safety and providing an atmosphere where concerns can be raised without fear of retaliation.

This is an awesome place to work! Everybody is treated as if you are a member of the family.
Pros
Plenty of opportunities to become involved in the community, helpful people, department outings and gatherings
Cons
No good restaurants near by.
I love that SCANA Energy encourages continuing education
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 10, 2016
For the most part I can say that SCANA Energy as whole is fair and treats their employees with respect. SCANA Energy definitely goes above and beyond for their customers. That is rare in Corporate America. I love that the company has gotten more involved with employees health and wellness. SCANA Energy offers breaks just so that you can exercise and I think that is awesome because most of us don't have time to exercise between work, children, running a home and life demands.
Pros
Benefits and Competive pay
Cons
n/a
A great place to work
Mainframe Systems Programmer IV (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 16, 2016
This company is very family oriented, It has a private club house on the lake for employees and one on the coast of South Carolina. SCANA is principally engaged, through subsidiaries, in regulated electric and natural gas utility operations and other non-regulated energy-related businesses and very visible in this state.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
none known
Great work life balance
Business Systems Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCJuly 15, 2015
Company had great benefits and a good work life balance. Not very fast paced or a lot of room to move upwards within the company.
Pros
Great 401k match
Cons
Very slow paced
Scana is a productive company that 's committed to doing what is right
GIS Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMarch 8, 2016
A typical work day for me is going in and taking care of my daily duties. Providing service to my internal and external customers.
My managers are very understanding. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that when I come in to work...that I've got a great group of people to work with. Over the years...that's been important to me.
Pros
Flex time, time to take care of personal matters
Very good work experience for a beginner in IT
Infrastructure Technician/ Wk Station Supp. (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJanuary 17, 2016
I learned how to process workstations for deployment in the field. Processing included setting up brand new computers and other devices with company standard settings and programs as well as logging them in the asset management system so that we can keep track of where they are and who they are assigned to. I also processed old workstations for disposal. Processing of old workstations consisted of wiping the hard drives and removing their asset tag numbers so that we can update the asset management system as to what workstations we have and do not have. Additionally I assisted my team leader with troubleshooting workstation issues such as dysfunctional monitors, programs, and log in issues. During my intern experience I performed maintenance on hardware components such as installing RAM and replacing motherboards and configuring them as necessary. Other miscellaneous tasks I had were assembling mobile docking stations for tablets in fleet vehicles, and organizing our storage closet. My co- workers were all very great guys and kept the work atmosphere interesting.
Pros
meeting new people everyday, lots of downtime between tasks
Cons
lulls in the work flow rendering one inactive
Coworkers became family
Customer Service SPecialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston ,SCJanuary 3, 2015
I remember being miserable at Wells Fargo with the racisim , teller politics (laughable) , sales and horrible boss that made me feel horrible each day. While some days can be overwhelming with call volume. I know that the calls mean job security. I basically work independently and as long as i come in on time and do my job i know that i will have A JOB. I love it here .
Pros
great pay, no sales, benefits, on site gym and amazing coworkers
Cons
on call, little movement in company
Scana Corporation has been around for almost 100 years. The best part of the company are our core values. They are words that you can live by.
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 21, 2013
-Analyze the work load and determine priorities for the day
-Process work orders / research and solve problems as needed
-Make sure I think about safety while completing every task
-Manage / support needs of the inspectors and the crew leaders
-Collaborate with colleagues as needed when solving problems
-Supporting customer service issues as needed

The hardest part of the job is answering the phone and someone in the office at the same time

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people
Pros
benefits, supporting the community
Cons
i haven't any
Great Company/Questionable Department
Specialist (Former Employee) –  ColumbiaApril 23, 2014
Company is great, but the department and leadership where this position resides is a challenge. Favoritism abounds, no room for growth, and leadership that is punitive and not strategic are hallmarks here. Turnover outpaces the rest of the company by far, especially in public relations and web development area.
Pros
benefits, people
Cons
departmental leadership
Great co wokers. Family enviroment
Assist current customers (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 4, 2014
I currently work for a utility company that provides gas and electric service. I work in a call center with about 60 other representatives. I handle inbound calls . Customers call to request payments arrangments or stop, start or transfer of service. I enjoy the peoople I work with
Pros
great pay and benifits
Cons
short breaks
Great company!
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCSeptember 29, 2014
This is a great company. Working in customer service is a good way to get your foot in the door.
Pros
excellent benefits.
Cons
working in 24 hour call center could land you any schedule.
Good
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 21, 2015
SCANA is principally engaged, through subsidiaries, in regulated electric and natural gas utility operations and other non-regulated energy-related businesses in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia.
Productive workplace but very hard to advance thru the company
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 6, 2015
Scana is not a bad company to work for per say but management is horrible. However i loved working for the company its just some of the management team that makes it very hard to have a positive workplace.
Pros
good pay
Cons
job security is low
Great place great people
Developer Applications (Current Employee) –  Cayce, SCJuly 28, 2015
Good place to work. Very family company and very understanding company. Always willing to work with employees with schedules and accommodate schedules.
Very fun and productive atmosphere
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCApril 26, 2014
I would handle a finite number of task to be completed by the end of my shift. I learned how to be more efficient in fixing issues with customers' bills. Management was very supportive and kind. My co-workers in and out of my department were very friendly. Systems were having concerns proved to be the only difficult part of the job; having to play catch up, although management understood systematic issues having absolute control over productivity. The overall morale was high and maintained; it was a great experience.
Pros
morale was high, very productive work
Cons
low pay
Contractor for SCANA
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 11, 2014
The typical day was making calls to SCANA clients to collect payment for services and also place work orders in system

I learned to pay attention to detail

My co workers was a balance of those with families and very nice and kind personalities.

The hardest part of the job was that I was in college at the time therefore I had to balance work and class work

Most enjoyable was that I was learning career skills
Pros
learned skills for career path and learn better customer service, the break room was very relaxing
Cons
there were no cons
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCMarch 12, 2014
A typical day at work involves meetings, chatting with coworkers, and getting work done. While it is stressed that you make progress with your work and do your best to make deadlines, you are not micromanaged. You are allowed to work, for the most part, how you want to work. The hardest part of the job is that nothing moves fast. You have to wait on several levels of management and several departments, such as security and DBAs, to get much done. However, if you can get in, it is good place to work.
Pros
break when you want to, on site gym
Cons
long drive for me
No growth potential
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 19, 2015
A typical day includes processing payments and service orders for customers. My coworkers are a good group of people who are overworked and underpaid. There is little room for growth and lots of people have been stuck in the position for decades.

4.2