Scheels All Sports, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great people and discount
Specialty Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAJanuary 9, 2018
I loved the people I worked with, but it can be hard to advance.
I worked as an ssm it was very stressful. You have to do a four or five person job by yourself.
Pros
discount, people
Cons
Stress
Easy job but doesn't pay well
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDDecember 28, 2017
Management was great and understanding. They work with your schedule. They do not do pay raises often if at all. Very good discount but not very good pay.
Scheels Allsports
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 19, 2017
As a former college age part-time associate at Scheel's hardlines department I can say I had a mixed experience. The friendliness of your coworkers and those who are willing to help you with any questions or problems are never-ending. However, I found that some of the management staff lacked proper management skills and professionalism. There were months where our posted work schedules would not show up until 2 or 3 days prior to the beginning of the month. There was also an atmosphere of micromanagement where you seemed to always be followed or closely watched by management staff as if you were doing something wrong. Also, as an hourly and commission paid employee they always hounded you on sales performance, even if you only worked closing shifts when customers were few and far between. Again, this is a minority of the staff in management. I would recommend this job really to those who need some cash on the side and a great discount on sporting equipment.
Pros
Fantastic discounts on goods
Cons
micromanagement and few scheduled hours for part timers
Great place to work and meet new people. A lot of advancement opportunities.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 1, 2017
Loved working here. Only reason I will be leaving is because I am moving. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone. I learned how you should treat people and what hard work is from Scheels. The management and staff are awesome. I will miss all of the friend I have made the most from this place.
Fun place to work
Fashionista (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 23, 2017
I love the fact that they are Christian based and they follow all the holidays very well. I enjoyed working in an environment that they allowed dogs to be in.
underappreciated
Support Lead (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDApril 6, 2017
Too much work for too little of pay. Two many people with very different ideas on how curtain task should be done. The people that work there are great.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
pay and work load
Fun place to work
Visa Counter (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDApril 5, 2017
Great people that treat everyone like family. Very understanding working around school schedules. Cross train in different areas to keep work flow smooth.
very respectable company, great employees
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTApril 1, 2017
I learned a lot about what makes a company successful, and how a successful business is ran. Scheels was my first job and it was more enjoyable than I ever could have imagined. They took very good care of there employees and were always willing to work with me. I was devastated when i needed a major knee surgery and without hesitation they allowed me a leave and wanted to know how many months I would need. No hesitation in allotting me 4 months to recover. Great company
Easy, exciting sales exoerience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVMarch 2, 2017
Scheel's is a progressive, organized sports store with lots of room for growth and individualized advancement opportunities.
Pros
Room for growth, flexible schedule, difinitive hierarchy
Cons
Can be demanding, high expectations with little payback
Fun fast paced workplace
Bike Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJanuary 25, 2017
working in a bike shop was fun and rewarding. I learned countless skills, that far exceed that of a bike shop mechanic. I worked on essentially everything that was bought and sold at Scheels. I also did deliveries in which we would deliver and setup home fitness equipment for customers. It does get a little chaotic at times when its busy and you cannot catch up on work that needs to be done in the store, but it is always manageable. It was enjoyable to me, because there was always something new to learn. With ever changing tech in bikes, hunting equipment, sporting equipment, etc, it never made for a dull day.
Pros
fun workplace, chances to excel, quality management
Cons
lots to learn, must be a self learner
Great opportunity and sell quality products
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNDecember 17, 2016
Fun customer service oriented company. Teach you product knowledge to help sales people be successful. Your success is their success
Pros
Great benefits and discounts
Cons
Weekend schedule
Do you drink the kool-aid
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 31, 2016
Can be a fun place to work if you drink the management Kool-Aid. Other than that the managers suck. They will suck you in with the ESOP, but get out while you can. The managers have their favorites if your not on that list it will be tough for you. This place is a joke. Only the people on the favorites list are promoted, while the ones that works hard are overlooked. Scheduling favors their favorites. Managers walk around with their store improvement cards in their pockets like it's a gun on their hip, you cant even stop and say hi to a fellow co-worker without being written up on these cards then your spoke to by your manager for "talking while on the clock" come on Scheels so called ASL's were human treat us like that and you might get more work from us. I could go on all day, but you can see the picture in black and white.
Pros
When you clock out at the end of the day.
Cons
No breaks, 1/2 hour lunch all managers not following same rules.
Rewarding, team - oriented workplace
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIOctober 29, 2016
Though management leaves much to be desired, the floor employees at Scheels are dedicated group of outstanding individuals. Incentives for production provided motivation and promoted competition to perform. Micromanagement may be the major downside; during my tenure, coworkers assigned to the title "Specialty Shop Manager" (i.e. Men's athletic, Fishing, Pro License) were rarely allowed to make their own decisions on products in their line of "expertise". Instead, the decision is handed down from corporate offices outside the region and mandated for floor space.
Pros
Rewarding, team - oriented
Cons
Management, work - life balance
Fun
Ferris Wheel Operator (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTAugust 23, 2016
I've worked a lot of places, and I can tell you this is a great place to work, management is helpful and they try their best to work with you and listen to any issues. They only want enthusiastic employees which makes it a pleasant place to work because everyone is happy, and that makes the customers happy. Breaks would be nice. Management has a lot demanded of them and they work hard, but there are a lot of them. This is an excellent place to learn great customer service skills.
Pros
Helpful management, happy people everywhere
Cons
No breaks
Amazing place to work with AMAZING MANAGEMENT
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 18, 2016
Scheels is a great place to work. They expect a lot from their workers but they treat their workers so well and their management is the best I have ever worked for, I would still be working here had I not had to move away.
Pros
amazing discount and work enviornment
Cons
pays average
Very fun and its nice to know everybody knows everything
Men's Clothing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVFebruary 17, 2016
Great work expirience, some management problems but they definitely are open to critisism. I really loved my time here and I would honestly reccomend it to anybody. The harder you work the more money you make and I really loved that.
Good transition job if you stay part-time/mid-time
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 4, 2016
Do not go full-time!

When things are slow, full-timers get sent home so part-time and mid-time associates 'make hours' and continue making money whilst full-timers are worked like dogs for poor pay. They "sell" you on a great job within a great company...don't drink the kool-aid and take your blinders off and make sure you are getting what you are after. They want so much from you, yet don't compensate saying that success is only what you make it out to be. FALSE! They hold you back from standing out due to incompetent supervisors that think they know it all because they got promoted from the sales position. Go be a teacher and make a difference...you'll get the same pay and way better hours. Oh did I not mention they suck at scheduling. Their scheduling managers don't care about any associates, unless they are dating them. Way too many relationships between management and employees. Not an equal opportunity employer even though they claim that. New store in Overland Park, KS went through 8,000 applications to find 200 employees. They find what they want. Walk in their stores, you'll see what I mean. Oh and they work on commission, so wear your headphones.

They sell you on the retirement plan..or their amazing ESOP...guess what 90% of their employees probably never make it to retiring with that company. SO what money they snubbed you while you were working will end up in those peoples hands that came in late and received your promotions and are set with light workloads and endless bonus' which are based on too much b.s. to air out.

IT's retail and not a family-oriented
  more... company, although they think that.  less
Pros
fellow sales associates, everyone sticks together through the sh**
Cons
Too many to label
Awesome place to work for
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 3, 2016
The pay and co-workers are the best. Absolutely love this company but they only have stores in the mid west and nothing in Colorado. I was there a little over 5 years so it was really hard to leave but the company is really really awesome.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Enjoyable workplace
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNAugust 18, 2015
Management is great. They treat you like any other person they might encounter. A typical day is busy but productive. This is not place that you will hate showing up to everyday.
Pros
Flexible scheduling