Scheels Sports Employee Reviews

Strong, growing company with potential
SPECIALITY SHOP MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNOctober 22, 2017
Scheels is a great place to work if you can get past the hours...but that's retail.

The associates are fun and driven but the management is, at best, okay. Nothing against them personally but they don't seem to push people to be the best they can be and it's easy to get stuck in a position unless you know the right people. On top of that, if you aren't working in a shop that generates enough cash you get ignored by management. Once again, that's the way of retail I suppose.

Scheels is a very conservative company which can be frustrating at times but it's not an issue the vast majority of the time. The toughest things that I noticed was the yearly emails telling you who'd be "best" for president and how the christian music is okay because there's pop music coming up next.

Overall, a great company that has lots of potential
Pros
Awesome discount, pretty good benefits and fun people
Cons
Hours can be tough
Solid
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IASeptember 20, 2017
A solid job for a college student. Commission based so if you don't sale you don't really make much money. Hours are inconsistent. Management is great and understanding of each individuals situation.
Scheels is an employee owned and operated sporting goods store.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAAugust 15, 2017
I only worked for the company during the summer months due to my gymnastic scholarship obligations. It was my first job, It was a salary plus commission bases pay which I enjoyed. I was able to use my competitive and driven nature to obtain more commission from my sales. Only being able to work 3 months out of the year at the organization did not give me much more or depth to be able to gain a promotion. I enjoyed being on the floor with other sales associates competing to gain the next sale, it kept you alert, motivated, and driven to become the "best seller" on the floor.
Pros
Salary plus commission pay.
Cons
Only being able to work 3 months out of the year.
It is very well
Barista (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 31, 2017
everyone is very willing to help out. always so positive in everything they do. everyone is very respectful of each other. all of the asl's are very helpful exspecially when I was newer.
Pros
the disscount
Cons
ammount of hours
Fast Paced and Friendly
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVApril 11, 2017
This is a fun job. Scheels really wants it's employees to succeed and they give you all the necessary tools to do so. Most of the people working there have been in the company for a long time because it is such a great environment. Hardest part of the job is customers but it is also the most enjoyable aspect.
Cons
Extremely busy holiday season.
Fun work enviornment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 29, 2017
Working at Scheel's was a nice easy job. The staff is fun and very welcoming. The job is super lowkey, you are at a till for about 7.5 hours a day, talking to customers. Fun, easy, laid back job.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Short lunch break
Good job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 13, 2017
Great job mostly cause of the discount you get when you work there. Plus the people you work with qre outstandingly nice and outgoing. They always put the employee first.
LP Lead (Former Employee) –  Loss PreventionMarch 6, 2017
Had fun working there like anything else management can be hard to work for. You need to be motivated to work here. High expectations of customer service.
I didn't like it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTFebruary 7, 2017
I didn't like working here. The hours are long and you are on your feet all day and you can't move around. The management is very strict and not the nicest.
Productive, fun, friendly place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Moorhead, MNJanuary 8, 2017
Very friendly coworkers and atmosphere. Customers are always our number one. Easy job. Easy tasks such as ringing up customers, filling pop,candy, putting freight on the floor, etc. Love working here!
Well organized, fun place to work, good managers
Bike Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sandy UtahDecember 22, 2016
Good place to work I just did not have much time to work there, the only reason I left was to go on an LDS mission, I wish I could have worked there a lot longer
Horrible
Ferris Wheel/Visas (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTDecember 10, 2016
Everyone hated their job.
We were spit on, had to clean up vomit, customers were rude and 100% right Even if they hadn't actually bought a token to ride the wheel, I still had to let them on, because that's the 'Christian way' of the company
Greatest day of my life was when I quit.
Pros
One time we got Buffalo Wild Wings for free....
Cons
Everything.
Awesome and Fun job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 20, 2016
Great employees and management make for a great team and experience. You get a good feeling of satisfaction when you help a customer make the most of that "once in a lifetime trip."
Pros
You work with your passions
Cons
You want to buy everything in the store
Easy work and lack of upward movement
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 28, 2016
Working at Scheel's was very easy. Too easy almost. There was very little chance for upward movement which is ultimately why I left.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
lack of upward movement
Professional and friendly work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day I would obtain a till for the register and go to my assigned register. I would greet people entering the store as well as answering any questions customers had. On occasion, I would be sent on projects around the store in other departments as needed. I helped clean areas, change displays, reorganize clothing, work as a dressing room attendant, and cashiered in the deli in the store.
I learned a lot about working in retail. I learned how to cashier and how to handle difficult customers and how to make sure the customer is always leaving with a good impression and will want to come back.
The management was very friendly and professional. They are easy to work with.
I loved my coworkers. Everyone there is friendly and nice.
The hardest part was when we were super busy and people were in a rush and it was very stressful.
The most enjoyable part for me was talking to customers and working with other employees I didn't always get to work with.
Pros
Take care of employees
Cons
Not very flexible hours
Great Staff
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 14, 2015
Fun and encouraging workplace for anyone of every level of skill. Supportive environment for family, school, and military
benefits
Cons
part time benefits limited
Terrible place to work
Customer service desk (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 23, 2015
17 managers all on different pages telling u completely opposite ways to do things. Pretty sad when the affordable insurance is the only positive. If you don't sell a certain amount of Scheels credit cards to customers each month then u can't use your employee discount. and watch what you buy! They wash returned clothing and items and restock them at full price! Even gross dirty cigarette smelling clothing, jackets and jerseys. By the way the pay is terribly low for all the bs you have o del with.
Pros
Insurance cost
support
support (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 18, 2015
I work for great management
I love working with the co-workers
working for retail
I love being with the costumer's .
There was a lot of stuff I could buy for self and my family
Pros
20% for the clothes and other things
Easy job, but management could use work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTMarch 23, 2015
Working at Schools was overall fairly easy, but, being a new store, the management was very uptight and harsh on the workers sometimes. The scheduling was extremely unflexible and there was often no way to get a day off last minute. My co-workers were very friendly and we all got along, but the managers made it easy for us to sort of not like them. Typically I would get to work, open my register and start checking out right away. On slow days I would fold clothes and reorganize the store. The hardest part of the job was not being able to get my schedule changed, the most enjoyable was being able to work with laid back people.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, good employee discounts
Cons
Uptight management
Fun place to work
Men's Sportswear Specialty Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJune 28, 2014
You get to chose which department you want to work in. I got to work in the mens hike clothing department. That was fun for me because I enjoy hiking and the outdoors and I got to share that with my customers.
Pros
Base play plus commission
Cons
Low base pay