Scheels Employee Reviews

Interesting experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 20, 2017
While the discount on items was a nice perk, I felt it was a difficult place to advance.
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the customers and assisting with issues. I was able to experience opening pheasant season in a completely different way by working here.
Fun environment
Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJune 6, 2017
I worked back in the freight area. Considering the job we were doing we were treated fairly well. The manager however, was not very good, yet the company put a lot of trust in him. This was seen as a negative for many employees
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Retail
Productive and fast paced envirnoment
Sales Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAJune 5, 2017
Culture at Scheels is unlike anywhere else. It is one of the most important assets to how the company functions and succeeds. At Scheels you will be expected to be driven and hard working.
Fun place to work, and great management
SPECIALTY SHOP MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVMay 25, 2017
If you love the outdoors, being active, or just having fun in general, this is a great place to work. Management is great, coworkers are much more motivated than I was used to from previous jobs, and the customer base is very cool. It's also nice really being able to believe in the product that you're selling, because it's all top shelf.
Good but yet not good
Bike Assembler (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMay 22, 2017
Pay was alright but nothing to special. Building bikes is the kind of job that you need to have an interest in to do it. If you have no interest in building bikes then the job is not for you.
Coworkers are great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMay 16, 2017
Everyone there is always willing to help you. They try to work around your schedule as much as possible and are always promoting people they believe have put in alot of work.
I loved it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMay 14, 2017
This was my most favorite place to work. They always work around your schedule and understand if something goes back. I wish I could go back to this place.
Cons
Lots of opportunities to move up
Cashier/Customer Service/Barista (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDMay 9, 2017
I've worked at Scheels for over three years. It was a great environment with lots of opportunities for people who wished to move up into management. I'd greet people, complete transactions at the register, make coffees and pastries at the coffee bar, and clean the store when necessary.
Pros
A very busy, fun wok place
Cons
They check employees pockets/purses etc.. every single time they leave the store, whether clocked in or not. No trust.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 8, 2017
I worked a cashier so a typical day would be an 4 or 8 hour shift on one register usually. I learned about excellent customer service and was held to very high standards. The managers always kept us on task, even on the slowest of days. My co-workers were all very pleasant and I was encouraged to talk and bond with them, which was very comforting. The hardest part was getting your voice to be heard or changes happening because it is such a large corporation with countless employees, so it was difficult to implement new changes or improvement ideas. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and being able to help out people with their shopping experiences.
Pros
awesome discount
Cons
schedule troubles or miscommunications
Religious cult with sexist and racist tendencies
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 4, 2017
I worked there for just just shy of 9 months. 1 of the managers would harass me all the time about not being smiley enough. I was forced to resign for openly stating that I'm not Christian & for posting funny retail problem memes on my personal Facebook page. I was the 3rd female full time cashier fired in a week. Most of their new hires are white males. I'm not entirely sure that my being Native American didn't get me fired seeing as how corporate office is in Fargo & the majority of the white population there openly hate Natives. We had a visit from corporate 2 days before I was forced out.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Only one 30 min break in 8+ hr shifts, discriminating management, religious cult style organization, etc...
Fun environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMay 2, 2017
Everyone there is friendly
Management is always friendly
Work loads are light
Flexible Scheduling
Easy first job with opportunities to advance and work your way up!
Not For Everyone
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 18, 2017
There is no typical day at work. No two days are the same, which isn't a bad thing, if you have guidance to teach you what to do in those days. The workplace culture is not what they depict or claim to have. Instead, it is filled with workers who hold animosity toward one another. The upper management is completely aware of it, but does nothing to change it.
Pros
Discount on over priced merchandise.
Cons
Mostly the environment
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 12, 2017
Most enjoyable part of the workplace is getting to talk to other associates and customers about their passions and hearing all the different stories. Culture is great, but not much room for advancement into upper management because it is so established as a company with a lot of associates above you if you are just starting out.
Pros
Cons
High sales goals
They teach selling better than anyone!
Sport Shoe Manager (Former Employee) –  NDApril 6, 2017
Scheels was a fabulous place to work, although there wasn't much flexibility for family activities, especially as an hourly employee. They taught me all my selling techniques though!
Fun place to work
Pro License Manager (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 27, 2017
I enjoyed working for Scheels. The atmosphere there is very fun and ever-changing. The products I sold were fun, and the customers shopping were there for fun products.
Great company, family friendly
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTMarch 9, 2017
I enjoyed Scheels the most when people came to me for help. I enjoyed working with the money side of things as well. I love to help others. I worked as a Cashier and I also worked in back with Customer Service.
Benefits
Cons
hours
Terrible
Attraction Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 22, 2017
Working at scheels was a nightmare it was like working for a cult in a prison with a million cameras that watch you at all times.
worst place ever
Employee (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 28, 2017
The management team is all over the board nobody knows what's going on. God forbid if your carrying your cell phone. I wouldn't wish this place to anyone.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
everything else
Great place to work!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 19, 2017
I went into Schools completely blind of their policies and work environment assuming it was going to be like most other companies where you're just a number. Here at Scheels they really care about their employee and especially about their customer. This company has great opportunities for growth all the employees I've worked with are really great people! I really recommend this place to anyone who has a positive attitude towards life and towards their products! GREAT place to work.
Cons
Only a 30 min lunch breaks during 8+ hr shifts, no 15's
Fun place to work
Specialty Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 8, 2017
Scheels was a very fun place to work. There is always something different with the products that are available and technology. The customers were always fun to assist.
Pros
Discount on amazing product
Cons
Everyother weekend and night