Schenectady ARC Employee Reviews

Petty and vindictive
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 30, 2017
Can't say much else. The harder you work, the less you get paid. And forget about taking a vacation if they need help. You'll be denied. Guilt trips if you do need to call in sick even if you never do.
great place to work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 2, 2017
DSPs do not make much money per hour. However, the money is there if you are willing to work overtime. Job variety is excellent. There are many different atmospheres to work in.
Wasn't great
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 22, 2017
Management isn't great. They only care about coverage and when you need days off after working over 140 hours they get very mad and passive aggressive towards you.
good place to work
Developmental Aide (Former Employee) –  Glenville, NYOctober 3, 2017
I loved the people i took care of and the staff was great i would go back if i could the manager had an open door policy and was very supportive and understanding
Pros
outings and vacations with the individuals
Cons
no advancement
ARC is shutting down
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 23, 2017
ARC was a fantastic agency when I started working here 15 years ago. Since then there have been extreme changes. The management has really gone down the tubes, I haven't had a pay raise in years. Now because of the recent raises in minimum wage I'm only making .25 cents more. Other agencies provide $15 an hour for the same work and more benefits.

We have a huge turnover rate. When I first started people had been here for 10+ years. Most people have left since then. We are constantly trying to fill the gap of employment which means employees are staying late and doing way too much overtime to fill the gaps.

The individuals we care for ARE NOT receiving proper care. The management doesn't seem to care about this massive crisis. If anyone rates this company has more than 3 stars they are leading you astray and are blind because there are huge things happening here that are going unaddressed.

I won't be surprised if the company shuts down in a year. They recently closed a house down. That has never happened before. They lied to the staff for the reasoning of the house closing down. It's very sad how this organization is dropping the ball not only on its employees but also the people they claim to care for.
Pros
The individuals, co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Productive and fun workplace great staff and management
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 14, 2017
I love working Schenectady ARC its a fun work environment and the staffis great they are helpful i would recommend anyone who love taking care of others or just in general its a great. Place to work
Pros
Free lunch or dinner
It's not what it used to be...
Employee (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 13, 2017
Senior Management burry their heads in the sand. They refuse to see the crisis going on around them and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. After a recent breach of the top 5 salaries, including bonuses, many employees left. Trying to recruit and retain employee has been nearly impossible.
Just waiting for the day that someone else takes over. I really used to love my job and what I did. The individuals we support are the ones that suffer, and that is sad.
Pros
None.
Cons
Departments are pitted against one another
The individuals are so much fun to work with.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 6, 2017
The job itself is tough but satisfy. I really enjoy working with the individuals. I do not care for the management team at the dayhab I'm emplyeed for, there is a lot of favoritism and staff are not treated fairly. I also feel that DSP's should be paid a more fair amount since the job can be very physically and mentally challenging. I wish that I could help to improve the place I work at and have tried but things seem to remain the same. I feel as though if some changes were made the job could become my career.
Pros
Individuals are great to work with. It's a different expirience. You grow to love what you do.
Cons
Most, but not all, of the management team at the dayhab I work at do not treat their staff fairly, favoritism and low wages
nope
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 5, 2017
dont go
please dont go
i beg you not to go
high turnover
just avoid
go if you really are struggling to make ends meet
they will hire anyone because they are desperate
Pros
nope
Cons
too many
Fun
Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 8, 2017
working the residential program was a nice change. Working in the home had a more relaxed atmosphere than say, a workplace. I loved working with the clients in different capacities.
Pros
overtime
Cons
working weekends
Stressful at times
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 1, 2017
In my personal opinion we don't get paid as much as we should. The management here is kind of a joke and they don't take serious situations seriously.
Pros
Fun co workers
Cons
Bad management not serious about our safety
Upper administration needs to go
Management (Current Employee) –  SchenectadyJuly 18, 2017
Upper administration needs to change in order for the agency to survive. There are way too many non-essential programs and positions that are draining the agency just for the sake of trying to be everything to everyone.
The top layer of execs need to go so we can start focusing on the individuals again and provide quality services. The incompetency of our leaders and unwillingness to change despite a clear crisis situation, is alarming.
Great place to work!!
Community Living Program - DSP (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 17, 2017
I had an amazing experience with ARC! I learned so many thing and grew professionally! I recommend this organization to anyone who wants to work somewhere for a lifetime.
Wonderful life experience
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 16, 2017
Working with the people you meet always has a positive effect on you day to day and watching them overcome their obstacles to meet the goals in of its self is rewarding but it can be extremely difficult to unattach ones self.
Pros
Positive working experience
Cons
Difficult to not become attached
Fun
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 9, 2017
Fun productive feel good job. Ideal job for young single individual.
There is opportunity for overtime, but the company is not family friendly. It comes off that their view is outside life/family is not important
Pros
Overtime available
Cons
not typically family friendly
interesting places to work
Dsp. Supervisor Manager (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 4, 2017
Most of my typical day deal with doing schedules,handling money ,doing reviews on employees,office work,etc.I help assist in day to today activities .
Low compensation for type of work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 25, 2017
This would be a great job if the compensation was better. Its very self-rewarding but not ideal for a person with a family as it can consume all of your free time.
Clicky micromanaged organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 13, 2016
Middle management is where it is at in this company. They could run the agency better than the executives, but you will not be valued for your work and you will be overworked. Don't expect raises. Flexible schedule is wonderful. However, it is a very low paying agency, seems to want quality on the cheap. Over communication on non essential business items and a lack of communication on the very important ones. Executives micro-manage and don't place value on loyal hard working employees. Oh and hope you enjoy people clapping for you every time you arrive at event or meeting.

Felt like I was back in high school with the clicky, and often bizarre management style.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Clicky, micromanaging, low wages, management style
Not a job for the weak minded
Public Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 25, 2016
Schenectady ARC is not a bad place to work for. However, it is non-profit that seems to ONLY be focused on making a profit, rather than really putting effort into the consumers who are most important.
Working with persons with mental disabilities is challanging but fun
Direct Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 3, 2015
ARC has group homes. I worked in two. In both the staff and I got along very well. The house managers were pleasant to work with. They know their jobs well making it easy to work under them.
I woke clients and assisted them in bathing and dressing as needed. Made breakfast and light housekeeping. Here we administered medications daily.
Pros
Learning how different disorders effect people.
Cons
Some disorders cause patients to be violent.