Schenectady County Community College Employee Reviews

Great Student Job
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 23, 2016
Average day was sitting at the computer desk and helping students with the computers in the lab.
I learned how to speak to people that had a certain issue.
Management would usually check and see if everything was running correctly and give small task like putting paper into the printer.
Co-workers were great, but the lab I work in usually only had one person working per shift.
Hardest part was dealing with rowdy students.
Enjoyable part was the feeling that you help someone with their work.
worst job i ever had
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 4, 2016
I worked security for these hacks. No professionalism among management or caring for the students. If you actually cared you were seen as naive. What a horrible place the kids have my sympathy
Pros
some coworkers including janitors were hard working decent people
Cons
pay, training or lack thereof, condecending faculty and supervisors.
Extremely Dysfunctional
N/A (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 22, 2016
The managers do not communicate with their employees so as a result, people do not know what they are supposed to do and what they are not. The other thing that I have been experiencing is although I get 4 weeks of vacation, when I go to use it, even when giving over a month of notice, it gets denied. There is a high level of conflict within the college and tensions between the IT departments. They used to have just one IT department but one group of people did not like the other group so they revolted and formed their own department. The salaries are awful as well and the department managers kiss the executive management's butt so nothing is ever done about all of the problems within. The enrollment of student's is dropping like a rock as well so they have been laying people off, much of it through attrition
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Horrible pay and low employee morale
Jasmine Pinn
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schenectady County Community CollegeOctober 26, 2015
Typical day at work would be checking emails, sending out memos, conducting outreach ,staying up to date with the newest trends in education.
Department of Work Force Development is flexible with scheduling
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 6, 2015
The Department of Work Force Development is very flexible with scheduling classes, hours, days of the week and times of year in which to hold classes. There is open communication between the department, and any questions and or issues are resolved very quickly. Very good support is received from other departments. As an adjunct however, the pay is very low.
it was a good job, the people were friendly but customers were not
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 31, 2014
a typical day at work was making sure the printers were full of paper, and if students had questions about how to do something i had to help them. i would typically help around 30 people a day, their problems would range from not knowing how to print to questions about how applications worked. i learned that there is an etiquette involved when you work with the public, and no matter how rude someone is to you, when you work with the public the customer is always right. The hardest part of the job was when confrontations in the lab broke out, security would need to be called and things usually got messy. the most enjoyable part was actually helping someone and them being great full, this did not happen to often but it was good to know that i was appreciated there when i did help someone.
Pros
positive people
Cons
the confrontations people would get into
Fun Working Place
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 16, 2014
I enjoyed this job because I could help people learn how to use a computer.
Pros
It was at a college
Cons
Noone showed up
Productive environment consisting of computer programming
ACC/CIS Computer Lab worker (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 14, 2014
A friendly work-place using computer software to assist students with computer programming assignments.
A great work study job while in college!
Student Worker: "work study" (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, New yorkSeptember 21, 2013
I worked as a work study for my college's music department. There I sorted out music for various different instruments and arrangements. It was a filing job for the most part, helping the Music departments' secretary. I monitored the music wing's piano lab and kept it maintained while students practiced away. I liked the job for the most part, it was very flexible, my hours were based on the work load each week. It was very part time at best and it kept me busy during my first year at my community college.
Poorly managed college with unacceptable compensation
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 13, 2013
Working part-time at Schenectady County Community College is a degrading experience. The majority of the students are significantly below the level of the courses your are supposed to be teaching, this creates a very challenging environment. However, there is no reward for overcoming these challenges. The administration does not supervise their adjuncts, therefore you have free reign, so you can do an excellent job without recognition, and without fair compensation. The job has no benefits and the pay is sub-standard for my qualifications. They insist on keeping your course load at (or below) half-time for the academic year so that they pay you the low adjunct salary. Instead of hiring full-time professors, they continually hire more adjuncts to teach their courses, maxing out each of them. SCCC has unfair hiring practices and should be ashamed of themselves. I hold a doctorate in engineering from RPI and I worked 25 credit hours in 2012 to make just under $20,000, compared to the $45,000 (with benefits) I would have made if I had worked 30 credit hours as an assistant professor. They are taking advantage of recent graduates in this economy and should hire good teachers, not just make financial decisions.
Pros
Little supervision
Cons
No benefits, low salary, low hours, difficult students, no career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schenectady County Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3