Schiff Hardin LLP Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work.
Legal Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2016
Wonderful law firm. Have much gratitude for the years I worked there. Unfortunately, the U.S. 2008 recession put an end to it.
It's A Job!!
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 4, 2013
If you are not a lawyer or a manager then you won't move up much here. Moving around, within the company, has also proven difficult for me. What I like about working here is that there is no pressure to do this or to do that, maybe it's because I already know what is expected of me? I come in and do my job, I take my lunch break, come back and work and go home at the end of the day with very minimal or no direction from management. The hardest part of the job is management when they do interact with employees. I recently received a bad review of my job performance as I had stopped my normal duties to perform other duties the work flow coordinator asked me to do. Once the review was out the coordinator did not stand up for me or say anything in my defense. Management also tends play favorites when it comes to compensation and perks. Coworkers among the departments are very friendly though. While growing up I always wanted to be an attorney, accountant or business man. Working here and dealing with the professionals me realize this is not the type of work environment I want.
benefits
Cons
only 1 hour lunch break and no 15 min breaks.
Productive and great work environment
Seasonal Docket Clerk Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2015
• Managed significant docketing work supporting the asbestos litigation department.
• Delegated with the task of making two court runs a day to the Daley Center after organizing, filing, and coordinating service of pleadings, complaints, motions, and discovery.
• Assisted with basic legal statute and foreign docket research, and with online document retrieval using PACER.
• Identified a new process for document retrieval that saved the firm approx. $26,000 annually.
• Collaborated with staff and other interns to coordinate dockets, hearing dates, and execution of documents.
• Attended hearings and compiled written reports for the General Litigation Docket staff based on what I had observed.
• Performed clerical duties such as word processing tasks and data entry.
• Reviewed drafted memoranda’s involving various lawsuits and appeals, including real estate, tax, litigation and intellectual property.
Pros
Worked directly with the key executives.
Enjoyed my years at Schiff Hardin
Project Controls Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2014
Schiff Hardin is a great place to work. Management treats staff like family and for a 150 year old law firm, that's incredible. Great benefits. Smart people.
Hard to advance without clients
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2013
Typical large law firm issues.
Advancement requires client base.
Typically not a place where people work longterm.
Pros
salary
Cons
billable hours
great place
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2012
wonderful law firm
great managing partner
they care about their people
Pros
good benefits, pay, work/life balance
A steady and growing, large law firm.
Senior Asbestos Docket Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2014
The common day consists of going through electronic and u.s. mail to docket to the asbestos litigation docket system.

I have learned to be flexible and expect the unexpected,

The management is easily accessible and hellpful in solving work problems.

My co-workers were very team oriented and not hesitant in giving support.

The amount of mail and the lack of time to input it,

The autonomy given to me to resolve problems.
Professional Environment
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2014
This is Big Law at it's best. I enjoyed the culture and the people. The partners were easy to talk to and always had their doors open.

4.3