SCHLOTZSKY'S

SCHLOTZSKY'S Employer Reviews

Great career, not great hours.
Various management positions (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch for management, great work atmosphere and lots of mentoring and help.
Cons: long hours and sporatic shifts. breaks are quick.
I loved this job, but the hours are not desirable for someone with daycare needs. The hours are a minimum of 50 a week and anywhere from 5am to 11pm. Loved everything else about this job though.
Great Food, But Went Out Of Business
CASHIER/FOOD PREP (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 19, 2014
Cons: no healthcare
Even though they went out of business, they had some pretty good food. I just wish it was in an area with less competition. Schlotzsky's was right next to Boston Market and Saladworks.
Flexible scheduling
Cashier (Former Employee), Kerrville, TXJune 4, 2014
Pros: free lunches.
Cons: down time between rush hours.
Easy job, taking orders, delivering food, cleaning up afterward.
Fast and fun sometimes stressful work place
Team Leader (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZMay 5, 2014
Pros: 50% meals
Cons: short breaks, healthcare and short handed at work.
I would help my co workers with getting them items that they needed, took orders from customers, and handed out food to tables. I have trained to open, and I closed the store. I would count money and take money to the bank. I had great times working with my co workers and my general manager. I love talking with customers and making the feel like they – more... are at home. That's probably one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. The hardest part was working nights all the time.Even though I had trained for mornings. I have learned a lot and felt like I have grown into a better person. I would put the sales packet together and place produce orders. I would also help with putting the orders away. – less
Schlotzsky's catering
Catering Rep (Former Employee), Rio Rancho, NMApril 28, 2014
I loved my job at Schlotzsky's! I loved everything about it! Fun, a challenge, sales, exciting... I loved clocking in then gone for the day to get orders! I loved the freedom my manager gave me. We had a great trust and I enjoyed it! I loved the team. I left this position because I moved out of state.
good worplace for highschool students
Manager (Former Employee), Placerville, CAMarch 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: not enough pay or hours
A typical day at Schlotzsky's would consist of running around like a chicken with your head cut off. Between making food, placing orders, taking inventory, making sure the customer was happy, sending out food on time and ensuring that we didn't run out of any ingredients made a very busy work place. The hardest part of the job was the customers that – more... you just could not make happy no matter what. the best part of the job was working with the customers and my co-workers. – less
overall productive and fast paced
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Schertz, TXJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: discount meal per shift, new uniform every seasonal promotion
Cons: no free meal per shift, not very flexible hours between daytime and night time, cross training takes forever
a typical day shift at work consists of food prep for the kitchen and cashier crew,baking for bakers and the busiest part of the day during lunch time. the night time has its busy times but the daytime and nighttime are very much different with having to do with more clean up at the end of the night for the next day of business and in overall business – more... throughout the week and so on.
One of the most important things i have learned is that team work means alot as well as having the power to do things independently and be expected to do your share of work.
Management affects partially the overall outcome,the amount of business and income we can handle between business hours,customers patience and our quality and speed of the product that is bought by the customer. So a manager could easily make it that much easier by helping their employees and give positive direction rather than not help at all or less and cause friction because help was not properly provided.
My co-workers for the most part know what they are doing but are still faced with challenges such as other co-workers who care very little or not at all and are not passionate about the job but somehow managed not to move on to a more desirable job.also another various challenges that occurred with co-workers such as not being able to differentiate between what they have going on outside of work vs whats going on inside of work.
The hardest things about my job was knowing that if i wanted something done right while i saw someone do it wrong for the 100th time i had to either fix it myself or have someone else who knows how to address the problem with the appropriate solution.
the most enjoyable parts were realizing that i manage to work my first job this long,i developed friendships,i have had a increase in my skills of simple cleaning and focused more on the things i need rather than the things i want to be more successful and have A better lifestyle. – less
Eh
Cashier (Former Employee), Bastrop, TXJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: job
Cons: if you can do better, do better.
Not good, not great. It's a job and that's all I have to say about it.
enjoy the workplace enviroment and co-workers makeing every customer satisfied
Deli Store Manager (Former Employee), Garland, TXNovember 29, 2013
Pros: half off to team members and one free sandwich to managers.
Cons: building a friendship
enjoyed waking up and looking forward to a great day at work.
Poor Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Rapid City, SDOctober 2, 2013
Pros: my salary was decent.
Cons: everything else.
This job was my least favorite of all of my jobs. My GM was poorly educated and inadequately trained for his/her position, therefore did not provide proper training for anyone underneath him/her. My GM was inconsistent with everything from training to store policy and job description. It was impossible to know what your job responsibilities were, because – more... they changed to something else every day. – less
Friendly, team oriented environment with helpful co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee), Topeka, KSJune 13, 2013
Pros: direct deposit, 1/2 price meals
Cons: high volume
A high paced environment with many customers. I learned how to operate a cash register, and make some food. The managers are hard working and helpful people with little hesitation to teach. The co-workers are helpful to new employees and very respectful. Closing the restaurant is always the hardest because of the amount of duties to complete. Helping – more... the customer is always enjoyable and most satisfactory in the job. – less
A typical day at work.
General Manager (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 3, 2013
A typical day would include moring prep of food, setting up soups, getting the cash drawers counted, going to the bank, unlocking the doors, assigning people to their stations. Then, we unlock the doors, wait on customers, make food, continue to prep food for the next few days. Lunch breaks for the crew, count drawers after the lunch rush is over, and – more... send employees home if we are not busy. Night crew comes in, works on evening checklist. Evening crew waits on customers and breaks down the store for the night. Money is counted, machines are turned off, reports are run and the employees clock out for the night. The doors are locked and the day is done. – less
Unreasonable, incompetant, and impersonal management
Team Member: Kitchen (Former Employee), Amarillo, TexasFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: free lunches during or after a shift, paid breaks, and a discount on certain food, although even thinking about eating the food almost makes this a con after nearly two years.
Cons: 8 hour shifts without a break, a fresh coat of grease on your face after every shift, long spans of time with no water breaks, lazing hot kitchen, and everything else cover previously.
High work loads:

The store I was employed at was busy, mind you, and although the management recognized this, they often did nothing to help the fact that we were severely underemployed. They turned away many good employees and hired incompetent ones who later quit. This wasn't the worst store in town, either. In fact, our franchise owner showed great – more... favoritism towards our store due to the volume that we moved. The point is that the amount of work required at our particular location often overwhelmed the amount of workers in the kitchen, which was usually less than five. Fully staffed our kitchen could have employed up to nine workers at one time but I only saw it this full when we had our yearly anniversary promotional sale. During a lunch rush, it wasn't uncommon to go forty five minutes to an hour without changing gloves while making sandwiches because there was no drop in business. Not only is it ridiculous that there weren't an extra 15 seconds to be had for spans of up to an hour, but it's insanitary and violates all kinds of health codes.

Poor communication from management:

The managers seemed to believe that if you did something wrong, you would automatically know what you'd done and correct your behavior without any intervention. They would thusly become very distraught when mistakes were made repeatedly and after a few times making the same error, whether the employee recognized their mistake or not, the result was a very firm and public correction. Training was carried out by "experienced" employees and often didn't reflect the actual rules and regulations that had been set. It wasn't until I'd been there about a year and started talking with a new manager that I really learned most of what was supposed to happen and why. Despite this complete lack of a basic training, employees were often reprimanded, scorned, and otherwise humiliated in the presence of a customer for not following a rule that was probably never made clear to them. And even when some sort of action was required to correct a negative behavior, it didn't need to occur in the presence of fellow employees, much less, customers. Not to mention the fact that most of the worst behaviors present at our establishment went uncorrected, but I digress.

One of my co-workers was fired due to a scheduling mishap in which the management wrote his hours on the employee schedule incorrectly and he didn't show up when the manager's schedule said he was working. They called him and he said that he didn't know he was supposed to work and that he would be there as soon as possible. When he got to work, the head manager told him that it seemed like he didn't care about his job and fired him in front of the entire crew and a store full of customers.

Poor enforcement of policies regarding lazy workers/illegal behavior/ sexual harassment:

A year ago, a manager was hired who had trouble keeping her employees in line. They would refuse to work and just laugh when she told them to get to work. After hassling the upper management for nearly a year, she still has problems with getting the lazy workers to start working and nothing has been done to correct their lack of respect for authority.

Several workers have been hired who often participate in the illegal consumption of alcohol (underage) and a few who recreationally use marijuana. Not that I particularly agree with the rules regarding these substances and their respective illegality, but in the handbook, which I had to steal because I was not provided with my own copy, specific policies are outlined regarding illegal drugs and alcohol consumption. On multiple occasions, these workers have come into work intoxicated, either by alcohol or marijuana. I'm not saying they were hungover from a long night. These guys were drunk or stoned out of their minds and weren't even confronted by anyone. Drunk and stoned? Business at usual, here at Schlotzsky's!

One worker in particular was notorious for sexual harassment, not only to fellow employees, but also to customers. He would start rumors that he had had sex with an attractive female employee and, for some reason, everyone tended to believe the rumors, thus ruining the female employees' reputation among her co-workers. This behavior has still not been corrected. At one point in time, he was writing his phone number on napkins that were being taken to attractive female customers. In one such instance, this nearly resulted in a physical confrontation between him and a customer''s angry husband. He has since stopped, but not because of any action taken by the management.

Unfair hiring criteria/possible discriminatory hiring:

I understand that it's unusual to be moved around a lot withing a work environment and that the position that you are hired into is usually the one you'll stay in, at least at this level of employment. However, it was often recognized by the management that my personality was not well suited for an isolated work environment (kitchen work) and that I was much more of a people person than anything else, but when I requested to be moved to a cashier/front store team member, they outright refused on the basis that they don't let males work as cashiers because, "girls are more friendly." On one such instance, this reason was given to me the week before they hired a male cashier who quit before the week was out. If I had been moved somewhere where my people skills could have been utilized, I probably wouldn't be talking about this job in retrospect like I am now!

The site asked that I identify the best part of my job and, honestly, the good things like working with my friends or hanging out with co-workers were only loosely related to working at Schlotzsky's and could have very easily not been present. I would say that, of everything that's happened to me involving my employment at Schlotzsky's, the absolute best thing was the uplifting feeling of freedom that I felt after putting in my two-weeks notice. – less
Great place to work with good benefits
General Manager (Former Employee), Greenville, NC Goldsboro, NC Fayetteville, NCDecember 30, 2012
Pros: isurance, great working environment, good pay
Cons: long drive to work
I really enjoyed working for the company. I finished in managment but started at the bottom as a crew member. Work was physically tasking at first but eventually paid off. I learned how to deal with many customer problems over the years. I also learned how to fix minor electrical equipment and do a little plumbing. Hiring and firing employees, creating – more... weekly schedules for 15 to 20 people, and completing large truck orders were just a few of the responsibilities. Overall a good learning experience! – less
Before take over
Bakery Mgr (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OklahomaOctober 10, 2012
Pros: fun employees
Cons: management not my cup of tea.
At one time I enjoyed working for Schlotzky's Had good managers who appreciated your work and fun co workers.But that allchanged when a new company took over. Co workers still fun group to work with but Management not so great.
Best sandwiches around.
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Topeka, KSAugust 5, 2012
Pros: great coworker, regulars, and food
Cons: manager, the rush hours at night, and the lack of breaks
My manager wasn't nice to any of us on the night crew, even though I was a shift leader, I made the same amount of money for over a year and a half, and usually had to close the front alone, but that was best job. I would run the register, and take calls for carry out orders. Clean the front lobby and help unhappy customers. My co-workers were amazing – more... it was a small group so we were close. The hardest part is doing everything with only three people during a dinner rush. The best part were the regulars and the slow hours when we could clean and talk. – less
Professional co-workers made it so much easier to with and perform tasks.
Crew member/cashier (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 25, 2012
Pros: free lunch and cookies. long breaks
Cons: very hot in the kitchen and outdated machines to process orders.
Opened the store in the morning around 8am and stocked soda and ice machines. Prepared food with co-workers and baked cookies and cinnabons. Co-workers were professional and lively. Hardest part of job was to work with outdated machines which printed orders on paper receipts in small font. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a cashier working – more... in the cool enviroment instead of the hot kitchen with blazing ovens. – less
Not the greatest
General manager (Former Employee), Odessa, TexasMarch 9, 2012
Pros: the owner is a very nice man
Cons: no life away from work.
This location used to be a very fun environment to work in. They got a new Director of Operations and he has made it horrible to work there. At one point in time there was a work/life balance but now it's ALL work and no LIfe because when you call for help, they don't come to help you, instead they just start gossiping about you behind your back.