Schneider Employee Reviews

Schneider micromanages drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHFebruary 15, 2016
If I spun on ice, lost traction when pulling out on snow or hydroplaned I would get a call from my DM warning me to be a better driver. They would position spies on customer lots and watch you drop and hook, and report you if you didn't wear a vest, or even if you raised your landing gear before you unhooked your air lines. I couldn't quit them fast enough. These things coupled with the lowest pay I ever got made them the worst choice for an experienced driver.
Pros
Local work, home daily
Cons
They try to micromanage the drivers.
Core values, Safety and Diversity with Inclusion
Independent Contractor Rep, Bulk Division (Current Employee) –  Gary, INFebruary 20, 2016
Hands down, one of the best companies I have ever worked for. Professionalism and core values are Schneider key competencies. The team I work for is a great team who prides assisting independent contractors in leading them to succeed in their business. Benefits are great and they give you generous time off so you can balance work and home like.
Pros
Different facilities within the United States
Cons
Not one located in Las Vegas
A well run company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2016
Schneider National takes care of their drivers. At most terminals there is a cafe, a workout room, showers and a drivers room for watching TV. This company has an open-door policy so when an issue arises, you may speak with someone about it. The most enjoyable part of the OTR driver was driving coast to coast and seeing the many different wonders of the USA! The hardest part of the job was not being able to keep doctor appointments or being able to preset a family get together. I learned how to become and even better, safer driver, stay true to myself and give great customer service. A typical day at work is driving to point A, backing, doing proper paperwork, driving to point B, backing, doing proper paperwork; but be aware that you will run into obstacles that need to be overcome in a logical way. This was a very fulfilling job for me. Other drivers were willing to give a hand if it was needed.
Pros
A comfortable place, good benefits, good people.
Cons
Away from home for long periods of time.
New and exiting, if you last.
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2015
Shneider is like any trucking company that is willing to hire. But with such high turn over nothing is personal and even though they say they are family oriented and owned it is not so. In Chicago you have to answer to Wisconsin and Chicago hubs, sometimes their schedules conflict. Pay is reasonable if you are new to driving but training is definitely great though.
Pros
Great training accommodations(for new drivers only), benefits and bonus
Cons
Conflicting "management" of drivers and loads
Fast-Paced Work Environment
Carrier Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2016
This company is constantly seeking new growth and opportunity. Potential to do well as a top 10 sales associate. Very high employee turnover rate.
Pros
Good Office Environment
Cons
Low Salary
Best out of the large trucking companies
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARAugust 20, 2015
Out of all the major trucking companies, I would probably rate Schneider as one of the best. Good pay, decent benefits, and they give you pretty good home time. Biggest thing people complain about is the home time, but I'd always give a full day of leighway and never had issues with it at that point. If they get you home a day late, they will tack on that day.

Probably some of the best training and training pay as well. Their starting pay when you start driving on your own is far superior to any of the other major companies as well. I started with them teaming and only had a few months experience under my belt, but was still very happy with how my pay was scaled, and they do give regular raises depending on experience.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
may get you home a day late for hometime
Great place to start
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Keasbey, NJDecember 31, 2015
Initial training is strong and accessible for entry level truck drivers. Nice job to have if you enjoy traveling. You could do worse.
Pros
Great for entry level drivers, transitioning military, and retirees.
Cons
Mediocre pay, benefits and available miles.
high performance environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Kearny, NJMarch 31, 2016
Schneider does a great job at training the team. It fosters team work and has a great philosophy.

The operation is 24 / 7 and management often needs to work independent. The work week is 40 hours.

Co-workers are very accomplished and professional. Great sense of teamwork

Hardest part of the job is recruiting good drivers.
Pros
great team
Cons
requires a good deal of traveling
Good pay with long hours
Driver (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 19, 2016
After 12 years I decided to call it quits. Due to the overall driver shortage in the industry drivers are not held to any standards. Often times bad behavior was rewarded. They operate very much on the idea that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Drivers who complain the most get treated better than those of us who came in and did our job properly everyday. Your were encouraged to "optimize your hours" which was just code speak for cutting corners. Integrity is supposed to be one of their core values but there is none among their drivers. There is also very little integrity in the management. They throw the term "respect" around as its another core value. Very little respect from the company towards the drivers. Your time, your wants, your needs, your family, they have no respect for. The benefits are sub-par at best. The health insurance is some of the worst I've had. If you want to work for a company where your treated like a piece of meat then this is your kind of place.
Largest carrier in the nation. Don't give a darn attitude.
Dedicated Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 31, 2016
Passed up a job as yard jockey with another reputable carrier. Boy do I regret it. Schneider may be the largest carrier in the nation. But they also carry the largest attitude. Just another transport corp. Driver business leaders (driver dispatch) come in hours late, denigrate the driver for things that should be handled by the driver business leader as lower management and just plain don't give a darn about anything but their own friday/payday. Stay where you're at. Take same disregard from a smaller corp. Schneider is too big to hear the individual driver speak.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Condescending in every manner to the driver
Good Company with small town values
Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 11, 2016
Schneider is a good company to begin you transportation career. The Corporate Office is located in a small town with few career options in transportation without relocation. Because of this there is very little turnover in middle management and above roles. This can become frustrating for anyone looking for a fast track. That being said, this is a company the typically promotes from within. They operate with a "no players on the bench" concept with a lean team. This can lead to long hours, and for some roles, extended travel. Compensation is average for the industry as is benefits. Schneider is a good fit for someone wanting to live in small town USA while having a career that provides fair compensation.
Hard working but fair
Learning and Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 8, 2016
I learned the ins and outs of the transportation industry and moved from logistics into HR. It can be a great company if you find the right position for your personality. Management treats you fair for the most part. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of your job was finding the right person to take direction from. The most enjoyable part was helping people.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Poor work life balance
Safe, Secure, Great People to work for and with!
Flex Fleet Driver (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 16, 2016
As a flex fleet driver I can be any where in the US, assigned to any of the companies numerous dedicated contracts at any time. I have been a bid company driver for other places and a owner operator in my career and have yet to fine much to complain about. Management and staff are friendly and helpful, respect is given and issues delta with fairly and quickly. Pay is competitive and the fleet is newer, now headed towards a full automatic transmission fleet. Plenty of room for advancement for those who wish to remain with the company. Bonuses always paid on time and home time for me has never been an issue. I am pleased with the more or less family atmosphere that Schneider does it's best to maintain.
Pros
Staff, willingness to work with you and average pay for the industry and experience level.
Cons
None that i can think of.
Over four years of experience in the modular Data Center Market. Highly proficient, versatile, productive estimator/designer. Good communication and p
Engineer, ITB LOB (Pre-Sales) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 4, 2015
As a Quoting Engineer will utilize technical knowledge to prepare quotation packages for Engineered To Order (ETO) projects with the guidance of a Quotation Manager. Interpreting customer requirements, match products to customer specifications/drawings and ensure that the quote is technically compatible and competitive by communicating with the Solution Architect to determine/clarify project requirements. Generate basic/conceptual designs with a 3D software tool and include Bill of Materials, Cost Calculations and Pricing. Hand-off a quotation package with comments on exceptions and built in value for use by the Solution Architect in customer presentations
Pros
401K match 6%, Good medical and dental insurance etc
The real truth
Dedicated Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  N/AJanuary 21, 2016
Your "DBL" cares nothing about you period. There is orientation every Monday and Wednesday, so what does that tell you? Working dedicated you will get 1000-2000 maybe less than 2000 mi a week. Your bonus quarterly after hitting all required tasks you WILL NOT get. Calling pay department, they will refer you back to you "DBL" they refuse to help you. I THOUGHT this was a wonderful career long term company, you will get behind on ALL of your bills if you have a family etc. I have NEVER made more than $761 and that was one time. All of my checks are $200-$500 net weekly and that's working 6 day work weeks. They give u a huge sign on bonus (bait and switch) and give u very small checks in between. They do not care about you as a driver PERIOD. The only concern is "when is the load going to arrive". Look elsewhere I'm warning you.
Pros
Experience under your belt to get a better job
Cons
Management cares about themselves only, pay is horrible horrible
Great place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 1, 2016
I enjoy working for schnieder. It has its ups and downs but what job doesnt. The pay is ok, bonuses came when they were supposed too. Training is excellent. Trucks are decent, but governed to 60 mph. Makes for a long day, but as long as you keep your left door closed, you will be fine. The DBL is cool. I have never sat for more than an hour waiting on a new pre assignment. They get me home when I want to go home. All in all, it's a good place to work. Any job is as easy or as difficult as you make it. Schnieder un written rule is, don't hit anything, and don't wind up on YouTube. As long as you follow their procedures, you will never have any major problems.
Pros
Nicer trucks, training, OC's have free laundry and showers
Cons
Trucks are governed to 60mph
Productive and enjoyable working environment
SECURITY TECHNICIAN INTERN (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 6, 2016
Easy to get along with everyone in the department. Hardest part of the job was understanding the drivers through the speakers, and also trying to handle drivers that were upset and did not want to listen to directions. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on the Incident Reporting team. I was able to type different types of incidents that had happened outside of the work area and also inside. Incidents ranged from co-workers reporting small theft incidents to grand theft-auto incidents. There was always something different. I learned how to type professional reports.
Pros
Working hours
Great Fortune 500 company with endless opportunities
Global Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ashwaubenon, WIAugust 31, 2016
Schneider is an internationally known company that has reach into many different career fields. Compensation is fair, benefits are competitive. I would certainly suggest seeking a job opportunity at Schneider, Inc. if even to use as a stepping stool to another career. Advancement from within is highly endorsed at Schneider, but position change is also fairly frequent.
Pros
Competitive benefits, Multiple locations, career opportunities
Cons
Occasional poor management
Good trucks, poor management.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 4, 2016
Schneider has mediocre management at best. The routing is fair, the vehicles and maintenance are great, but the driver management is awful. There is great emphasis on customer survey results, but there is no communication of those results to drivers unless extraordinarily poor. There is a company-imposed speed limit of 60 MPH, which is annoying on long freeway trips with much higher posted limits. Finally, Schneider places FAR too much emphasis on Hard Brake Incidents -- technicalities generated by a sensor on the trucks. When an idiotic car driver commits a highly illegal and dangerous move, requiring the truck driver to take exceptional avoidance maneuvers to avoid collisions and death -- Schneider promptly blames THEIR DRIVER for the incident! Their Safety program is short-sighted and vacuous.
Excellent for the job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 12, 2015
The pay and benefits are competitive. The company as a whole is fair and easy to work with. The job itself isn't all that bad for what I do. It has it's downsides of course. The first being isolation. I know some people prefer it but I do not. The second being advancement. There really isn't anything else to move to. That made it a job for me, rather than a career. Lastly, I detest the physical inactivity. Even with a desk-job, you can get up and walk around for lunch breaks, and you will still find yourself at home each day. With that sort of work, my physical activity would be my problem. I can choose to work out or engage in sports, etc.
Pros
Great pay/ benefits
Cons
Isolation, very little time at home (expected), sedentary