Schneider Employee Reviews

Nice place if you are just starting in trucking.
CDL Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 30, 2017
A decent company, friendly people. This is a good starter company or possibly the next step up. Training staff is good and they will work with you. Being out 2 to 3 weeks at a time is hard, however the pay is decent. Sometime loads are inconsistent and the do have brokerage loads which are sometimes a pain. I think this company is a good choice.
Pros
Decent starting pay, good training staff.
Cons
Being out 2 to 3 week at a time is tough, may spend hours waiting for a load.
It was an ok job.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 17, 2017
I was on a dedicated route and was home daily. It was good to be home everyday and the money was pretty good for what I was doing. Just got really boring doing the same route over and over. Equipment was not very good starting out. After about a year I finally got a decent truck. Management sometimes got a little to controlling but that's what you got to deal with in big companies.
Pros
Home everyday and most weekends.
Cons
Micromanagement, equipment.
Good place to start
Driver (Current Employee) –  Reno nvFebruary 18, 2017
Although schneider doesnt have a high reputation among trucking companies, i found that the driver leaders were very accomodating and never asked me to drive unsafe. When I needed time at home the leaders worked very hard to make sure I got there.

The only bad thing I will say is that there needs to be better overnight services. After 7pm the overnight staff does not have much power to resolve issues.

The training was very good
Experience of a lifetime
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARJanuary 22, 2017
The job has its challenging moments but there is a lot of support there. Everyone's busy but people find a way to help anyway. As with any job, some days are more stressful than others but the endless potlucks and words of encouragement make up for that too. My learning experience was phenomenal there. Even if it's not your forever place, I would recommend this job to anyone because there is a lot of growth potential there and the lessons you learn doing this job could definitely help prepare you for your dream job.
Pros
Training in Greenbay, WI, laptops, potlucks, team outings
Cons
Bad days... Every day isn't amazing but thats the working world for ya.
lowest mileage pay in the trucking industry
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 19, 2017
I worked for Schneider for 2 years. Never got a mileage pay increase. started out grossing 1100 dollars a week, then it has dropped all the way down to less than 800 dollars per week. Health insurance is very expensive for individuals and there families. There trucks are old, unless you get lucky and get the new automatic transmission trucks. Plus a lot of sitting and waiting to get loaded and unloaded that you don't get paid for. All I made there yearly was 48,000 dollars gross yearly and I have 7 years truck driving experience. Good luck with your search and be safe on the road. No load is worth losing your life over.
Pros
Sign on bonus
Cons
Health care, Old trucks, Low mileage pay
They gave me an opportunity to develop my skill set
Commercial Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 18, 2017
Great company to work for if you own your own tractor

Because of this company now I have experience when other companies wouldn't take me.

For that I am very grateful whenever I get my own truck I would love to come back and make some real money I don't mind the responsibility and all the paperwork that's what happens when you make real money
Pros
Constant Freight
Cons
Company drivers salary needs Improvement
Excellent Customer Service, Flexible hometime
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXJanuary 26, 2017
Operating area includes Midwest, Texas region and Southeast States including parts of New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. Safety is first and foremost to company and drivers. Friendly staff at all terminal and a great dispatching team. The most enjoyable part of the job is peace of mind that my driver business leader is always ready to assist me with standard scheduling issues of delivering freight based on traffic and weather conditions. Wonderful driver amenities the company provides and the new equipment, Freightliner Cascadia with various safety features.
Pros
Flexible hometime, newer equipment to drive and courteous staff
Cons
Not many option of local or dedicated positions in the Texas Region.
Not the same company anymore
Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2017
This company used to be "The" company to get to work for, but has recently lowered its quality and integrity for money-saving practices. They have stopped treating their drivers as their number one priority and instead giving in to PC pressures and insurance premiums, leaving them with frustrated veteran drivers and "wet-behind-the-ears" new hires that they can pay pennies. It was very unfortunate to experience the decline of a legacy.
Pros
Newer trucks, good home time
Cons
Drivers are a number, too many rookies, computerized trucks
work ethics
OTR Team Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 6, 2017
a typical work day was driving for 10 hrs. i learnt quite a bit in there driving training school about safe driving habits, rules and regulations.the work place culture was very forth coming and friendly. management was not however very honest and forth coming. the hardest part for me was getting to know the roads in the .USA. i enjoyed getting to see new places/
Pros
oppertunity to work in the USA
Cons
not very open and fear
Professional
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJanuary 30, 2017
For a giant company, you didn't feel line just a number. If you long for professionalism from an employer, then go for Schneider. Whenever I needed home time they got me there. Hardest part of the job was the sensors on the truck. If you have to ever brake hard they were quick to get a hold of you and make it seem like YOU did something wrong. Everything was your fault it seemed. That part of it got me out of there.
Haaaard Work
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCMarch 6, 2017
Schneider is ok, although they hired me for Charlotte and didn't tell me I'd be working in VA until after orientation. It worked out in the end and I made more money than I ever have, but the Family Dollar acct. can be brutal at first. I had to hand unload up to 130,000 lbs a week by hand and the backing required can be very challenging because most FD parking lots are not made for large trucks.
Productive fun workplace with bean bag toss competitions.
Shipping Associate/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Elwood, ILJanuary 2, 2017
We have 2 daily meetings about production and any other information we may need such as overtime and policy changes. Work environment is a bit fast paced without feeling rushed or overwhelmed. Co-workers are great, very friendly and will help whenever needed. Management is very approachable, they really listen to the associates. The benefits are really good. Growth is very attainable. Tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Quarterly bonuses, benefits, associate friendly, tons of discounts.
Cons
Pay cold be better.
concerned about getting paid for a lot of non mileage work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 29, 2016
Make sure to get everything in writing. Especially drops and hooks. You can end up doing a lot of pro bono work if not. You do piece mill work, but really only get paid cpm. Even live unloads etc you have to sit and stay for hours until they are done and only receive cpm.

friendly, but when you have to do maintenance with them the time is totally on you.
Pros
paid training, fairly steady
Cons
gaps in load availability, a lot of pro bono work
OTR Driver / Trainer
Over the road - Driver (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 24, 2016
• Created and implemented a working inventory of supplies and equipment

• Created and implemented work schedules weekly and job assignment daily

• Driver for 5 years / in addition training drivers for 3 years

• Hired, trained and supervised a team of 10 personnel

• Interacted with the drivers and Guardian Glass Manufacturer staff to problem solve on a daily basis

• Scheduled load assignments per various trailers
Pros
Good Miles / Great advancement potiential / Good Benifits
Cons
Home Time Hard
productive and fun at times
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IADecember 23, 2016
a typical day would find yourself going to the management office, getting your load paperwork, and hooking up to your trailer. I learned, fairly quickly, how to navigate a 63ft vehicle in bad weather. Management in the begining left something to be desired, but once new management was let in things began to get better. co workers for the most part were dedicated professionals. hardest part of job was navigating at night in the winter time. most enjoyable was the people i worked with and the people i got to meet.
Pros
good management
Cons
day/night driving can change frequently
Great company
Professional OTR Solo Driver (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARDecember 21, 2016
Safety IS #1 with Schneider.
Upper management available most of time. Facilities were clean and provided necessary accommodations (food, showers, maintenance, etc.) for drivers
Co-workers were professional.
Continuing education always available.
Never stopped learning.
Loads always available for delivery.
Up to date equipment.

Only issue was not enough home time and difficulty in being routed for home time.
Pros
took care of their drivers
Cons
hometime
Poor job. Training program plus.
OTR Tractor-Trailer Operator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 17, 2017
They have good training program but after that the treatment of drivers is borderline abuse. You work 12-14 hours per day but are paid only when the wheels are rolling. If you consider a regular job that pays overtime. In comparison you make close to minimal wage while being an OTR Driver.
Pros
Training
Cons
Unfair and inadquate pay practices
More of a life style than a job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 10, 2016
Working long haul is more of a life style than a job. You can make good money, but you are never home to spend time with the family. My days consist of driving in all kinds of weather and traffic. The hardest part is waiting for a shipper or receiver to load or unload me. I only get so many hours in a day to drive and work I waste a lot of my time waiting on someone else. The best part of my job is getting to go places and meet all kinds of people.
Loved it.
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER / TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Reserve, LAMarch 21, 2017
I loved Schneider, i only left to try owner operator but not in a tanker. Most of my co-workers are great, even had a small group we spoke about politics, thou we never agreed, we never yelled. That seems minor, but to have a work place where people can politely disagree. it says a lot.
Pros
Great Environment, Good Equipment
Cons
Some dispatch miss communication
It's not the place that sucks its the bosses that make it suck
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILDecember 3, 2016
If u want a job don't go to schneider its the worst place u can work in. The bosses treat u like real bad ,
they don't know how to talk to people, act like we three, they change the rules to suit them, and they only care about production , but when u get hurt they want to know the full details then. They act like they care about safety but they don't. If u get a job at schneider god help u
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Managers, leads, supervisors sucks not all but most

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schneider. Our community is ready to answer.

71%