Schneider Employee Reviews in United States

The real truth
Dedicated Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  N/AJanuary 21, 2016
Your "DBL" cares nothing about you period. There is orientation every Monday and Wednesday, so what does that tell you? Working dedicated you will get 1000-2000 maybe less than 2000 mi a week. Your bonus quarterly after hitting all required tasks you WILL NOT get. Calling pay department, they will refer you back to you "DBL" they refuse to help you. I THOUGHT this was a wonderful career long term company, you will get behind on ALL of your bills if you have a family etc. I have NEVER made more than $761 and that was one time. All of my checks are $200-$500 net weekly and that's working 6 day work weeks. They give u a huge sign on bonus (bait and switch) and give u very small checks in between. They do not care about you as a driver PERIOD. The only concern is "when is the load going to arrive". Look elsewhere I'm warning you.
Pros
Experience under your belt to get a better job
Cons
Management cares about themselves only, pay is horrible horrible
high performance environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Kearny, NJMarch 31, 2016
Schneider does a great job at training the team. It fosters team work and has a great philosophy.

The operation is 24 / 7 and management often needs to work independent. The work week is 40 hours.

Co-workers are very accomplished and professional. Great sense of teamwork

Hardest part of the job is recruiting good drivers.
Pros
great team
Cons
requires a good deal of traveling
Schneider micromanages drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHFebruary 15, 2016
If I spun on ice, lost traction when pulling out on snow or hydroplaned I would get a call from my DM warning me to be a better driver. They would position spies on customer lots and watch you drop and hook, and report you if you didn't wear a vest, or even if you raised your landing gear before you unhooked your air lines. I couldn't quit them fast enough. These things coupled with the lowest pay I ever got made them the worst choice for an experienced driver.
Pros
Local work, home daily
Cons
They try to micromanage the drivers.
Hard working but fair
Learning and Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 8, 2016
I learned the ins and outs of the transportation industry and moved from logistics into HR. It can be a great company if you find the right position for your personality. Management treats you fair for the most part. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of your job was finding the right person to take direction from. The most enjoyable part was helping people.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Poor work life balance
Good trucks, poor management.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 4, 2016
Schneider has mediocre management at best. The routing is fair, the vehicles and maintenance are great, but the driver management is awful. There is great emphasis on customer survey results, but there is no communication of those results to drivers unless extraordinarily poor. There is a company-imposed speed limit of 60 MPH, which is annoying on long freeway trips with much higher posted limits. Finally, Schneider places FAR too much emphasis on Hard Brake Incidents -- technicalities generated by a sensor on the trucks. When an idiotic car driver commits a highly illegal and dangerous move, requiring the truck driver to take exceptional avoidance maneuvers to avoid collisions and death -- Schneider promptly blames THEIR DRIVER for the incident! Their Safety program is short-sighted and vacuous.
Great Company with Great Culture
Division Manager (Current Employee) –  North Salt Lake, UTDecember 26, 2015
As far as trucking companies go I don't think you'll find a better one than Schneider to work for. Their pay is competitive and the people you get to work with are outstanding. For those who perform well and have the appropriate skill set there is no shortage of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Great Leadership and Culture
Cons
Locations are not in the most ideal areas.
New and exiting, if you last.
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2015
Shneider is like any trucking company that is willing to hire. But with such high turn over nothing is personal and even though they say they are family oriented and owned it is not so. In Chicago you have to answer to Wisconsin and Chicago hubs, sometimes their schedules conflict. Pay is reasonable if you are new to driving but training is definitely great though.
Pros
Great training accommodations(for new drivers only), benefits and bonus
Cons
Conflicting "management" of drivers and loads
Safe, Secure, Great People to work for and with!
Flex Fleet Driver (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 16, 2016
As a flex fleet driver I can be any where in the US, assigned to any of the companies numerous dedicated contracts at any time. I have been a bid company driver for other places and a owner operator in my career and have yet to fine much to complain about. Management and staff are friendly and helpful, respect is given and issues delta with fairly and quickly. Pay is competitive and the fleet is newer, now headed towards a full automatic transmission fleet. Plenty of room for advancement for those who wish to remain with the company. Bonuses always paid on time and home time for me has never been an issue. I am pleased with the more or less family atmosphere that Schneider does it's best to maintain.
Pros
Staff, willingness to work with you and average pay for the industry and experience level.
Cons
None that i can think of.
Good Company with small town values
Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 11, 2016
Schneider is a good company to begin you transportation career. The Corporate Office is located in a small town with few career options in transportation without relocation. Because of this there is very little turnover in middle management and above roles. This can become frustrating for anyone looking for a fast track. That being said, this is a company the typically promotes from within. They operate with a "no players on the bench" concept with a lean team. This can lead to long hours, and for some roles, extended travel. Compensation is average for the industry as is benefits. Schneider is a good fit for someone wanting to live in small town USA while having a career that provides fair compensation.
Good pay with long hours
Driver (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 19, 2016
After 12 years I decided to call it quits. Due to the overall driver shortage in the industry drivers are not held to any standards. Often times bad behavior was rewarded. They operate very much on the idea that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Drivers who complain the most get treated better than those of us who came in and did our job properly everyday. Your were encouraged to "optimize your hours" which was just code speak for cutting corners. Integrity is supposed to be one of their core values but there is none among their drivers. There is also very little integrity in the management. They throw the term "respect" around as its another core value. Very little respect from the company towards the drivers. Your time, your wants, your needs, your family, they have no respect for. The benefits are sub-par at best. The health insurance is some of the worst I've had. If you want to work for a company where your treated like a piece of meat then this is your kind of place.
Great place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 1, 2016
I enjoy working for schnieder. It has its ups and downs but what job doesnt. The pay is ok, bonuses came when they were supposed too. Training is excellent. Trucks are decent, but governed to 60 mph. Makes for a long day, but as long as you keep your left door closed, you will be fine. The DBL is cool. I have never sat for more than an hour waiting on a new pre assignment. They get me home when I want to go home. All in all, it's a good place to work. Any job is as easy or as difficult as you make it. Schnieder un written rule is, don't hit anything, and don't wind up on YouTube. As long as you follow their procedures, you will never have any major problems.
Pros
Nicer trucks, training, OC's have free laundry and showers
Cons
Trucks are governed to 60mph
Great place to work and have a balance life
Shop Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Schneider give great job opportunities and there are a lot of advancement opportunities. Schneider's culture is great, everyone works as a team.
Pros
everyone is treated with respect
Core values, Safety and Diversity with Inclusion
Independent Contractor Rep, Bulk Division (Current Employee) –  Gary, INFebruary 20, 2016
Hands down, one of the best companies I have ever worked for. Professionalism and core values are Schneider key competencies. The team I work for is a great team who prides assisting independent contractors in leading them to succeed in their business. Benefits are great and they give you generous time off so you can balance work and home like.
Pros
Different facilities within the United States
Cons
Not one located in Las Vegas
A well run company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2016
Schneider National takes care of their drivers. At most terminals there is a cafe, a workout room, showers and a drivers room for watching TV. This company has an open-door policy so when an issue arises, you may speak with someone about it. The most enjoyable part of the OTR driver was driving coast to coast and seeing the many different wonders of the USA! The hardest part of the job was not being able to keep doctor appointments or being able to preset a family get together. I learned how to become and even better, safer driver, stay true to myself and give great customer service. A typical day at work is driving to point A, backing, doing proper paperwork, driving to point B, backing, doing proper paperwork; but be aware that you will run into obstacles that need to be overcome in a logical way. This was a very fulfilling job for me. Other drivers were willing to give a hand if it was needed.
Pros
A comfortable place, good benefits, good people.
Cons
Away from home for long periods of time.
Productive and enjoyable working environment
SECURITY TECHNICIAN INTERN (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 6, 2016
Easy to get along with everyone in the department. Hardest part of the job was understanding the drivers through the speakers, and also trying to handle drivers that were upset and did not want to listen to directions. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on the Incident Reporting team. I was able to type different types of incidents that had happened outside of the work area and also inside. Incidents ranged from co-workers reporting small theft incidents to grand theft-auto incidents. There was always something different. I learned how to type professional reports.
Pros
Working hours
very shallow
driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2016
this company is full of you-know-what. ever since I came back they have not lived up to their commitment to me. they want to work you from 12 to 14 hours a day. I trained a driver for four days and they would not pay me for training him. When I had family issues and they made me come to work the next day with no time off to get my head together. I can definitely say I will be leaving this company when I find another job it's not worth my time and effort. and I have also worked for them before but on a dedicated account all they care about is a customer and not driver. and it's true when you break down the layover pay is only $65 if you're in a place overnight. DBLs are those that have never drove a truck before and sit in the office all day with their 2 year degree setting on the wall what an awful place to work I'm really ashamed of Schneider.
Pros
just a job
Cons
no initiative and they keep your bonus
It`s not a team working company.
COMMERCIAL TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2016
This company is lonely everyone is to themselves, management treatment varies and for the most part I feel it needs attention. The most stressful part would be driving around looking for a good empty and having to replace broken or missing lights while not being compensated. The enjoyable part would be site seeing different cities. I learned that in intermodal you have a lot of labor and stress compare to over the road or regional driving.
Pros
Automatic Trucks
Cons
chasing empties
Definitely not a $65,000 a year job
Driver OTR (Current Employee) –  St.Louis MissouriMay 9, 2016
Schneider is a good company for any driver to start with and a good company for some people to stay with long term but most will outgrow Schneider within a couple of years. The training is very comprehensive but the company does have procedures that you have to follow many of which AR pointless. The trucks are Governor to go up to 60 miles per hour however they are set for maximum fuel efficiency so they don't have very much power or acceleration. They claim that you can make up to $65,000 a year butt that isn't true by any stretch of the maximum pay and driving as many hours as you possibly can you may make $50,000 a year. They also require that you go to an operating Center frequently for training and maintenance as well as picking up supplies, fueling etc. Which sometimes gets in the way of doing your actual job of driving the truck.
They do require that you drive in a pre-designated routes that are frequently slow-moving and longer to go around toll roads.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Micromanagement
You will make no where near 50,000
regional\OTR driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX\laredo ocApril 22, 2016
I've been with snchider for 3 months they suck if you just looking for exp then they are okay bit pay wise I run 2500+ miles a week and only take home 500-600 they start you off at 33 cents a mile I was out 3 weeks and I was literally shut down for 4 days do to no freight it's very slow tight now if you need a stepping stone for some exp they are good where they get people is with the 6000 sign on bonus by the rate I'm going I will be lucky to make 30,000 this year and the bonus they tax you 25 percent so ur only getting 4500 they tac you 1500 nobody make the same mistake I made if your looking for a decent paying job and you have at least 3 months exp JB HUNT
Pros
Newer model truck nothin else
Cons
Pay, loads, hometime
Excellent for the job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 12, 2015
The pay and benefits are competitive. The company as a whole is fair and easy to work with. The job itself isn't all that bad for what I do. It has it's downsides of course. The first being isolation. I know some people prefer it but I do not. The second being advancement. There really isn't anything else to move to. That made it a job for me, rather than a career. Lastly, I detest the physical inactivity. Even with a desk-job, you can get up and walk around for lunch breaks, and you will still find yourself at home each day. With that sort of work, my physical activity would be my problem. I can choose to work out or engage in sports, etc.
Pros
Great pay/ benefits
Cons
Isolation, very little time at home (expected), sedentary