Schneider Employee Reviews in United States

Schneider micromanages drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHFebruary 15, 2016
If I spun on ice, lost traction when pulling out on snow or hydroplaned I would get a call from my DM warning me to be a better driver. They would position spies on customer lots and watch you drop and hook, and report you if you didn't wear a vest, or even if you raised your landing gear before you unhooked your air lines. I couldn't quit them fast enough. These things coupled with the lowest pay I ever got made them the worst choice for an experienced driver.
Pros
Local work, home daily
Cons
They try to micromanage the drivers.
high performance environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Kearny, NJMarch 31, 2016
Schneider does a great job at training the team. It fosters team work and has a great philosophy.

The operation is 24 / 7 and management often needs to work independent. The work week is 40 hours.

Co-workers are very accomplished and professional. Great sense of teamwork

Hardest part of the job is recruiting good drivers.
Pros
great team
Cons
requires a good deal of traveling
Hard working but fair
Learning and Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 8, 2016
I learned the ins and outs of the transportation industry and moved from logistics into HR. It can be a great company if you find the right position for your personality. Management treats you fair for the most part. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of your job was finding the right person to take direction from. The most enjoyable part was helping people.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Poor work life balance
Great Company with Great Culture
Division Manager (Current Employee) –  North Salt Lake, UTDecember 26, 2015
As far as trucking companies go I don't think you'll find a better one than Schneider to work for. Their pay is competitive and the people you get to work with are outstanding. For those who perform well and have the appropriate skill set there is no shortage of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Great Leadership and Culture
Cons
Locations are not in the most ideal areas.
Good trucks, poor management.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 4, 2016
Schneider has mediocre management at best. The routing is fair, the vehicles and maintenance are great, but the driver management is awful. There is great emphasis on customer survey results, but there is no communication of those results to drivers unless extraordinarily poor. There is a company-imposed speed limit of 60 MPH, which is annoying on long freeway trips with much higher posted limits. Finally, Schneider places FAR too much emphasis on Hard Brake Incidents -- technicalities generated by a sensor on the trucks. When an idiotic car driver commits a highly illegal and dangerous move, requiring the truck driver to take exceptional avoidance maneuvers to avoid collisions and death -- Schneider promptly blames THEIR DRIVER for the incident! Their Safety program is short-sighted and vacuous.
New and exiting, if you last.
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2015
Shneider is like any trucking company that is willing to hire. But with such high turn over nothing is personal and even though they say they are family oriented and owned it is not so. In Chicago you have to answer to Wisconsin and Chicago hubs, sometimes their schedules conflict. Pay is reasonable if you are new to driving but training is definitely great though.
Pros
Great training accommodations(for new drivers only), benefits and bonus
Cons
Conflicting "management" of drivers and loads
Great place to work and have a balance life
Shop Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Schneider give great job opportunities and there are a lot of advancement opportunities. Schneider's culture is great, everyone works as a team.
Pros
everyone is treated with respect
A well run company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2016
Schneider National takes care of their drivers. At most terminals there is a cafe, a workout room, showers and a drivers room for watching TV. This company has an open-door policy so when an issue arises, you may speak with someone about it. The most enjoyable part of the OTR driver was driving coast to coast and seeing the many different wonders of the USA! The hardest part of the job was not being able to keep doctor appointments or being able to preset a family get together. I learned how to become and even better, safer driver, stay true to myself and give great customer service. A typical day at work is driving to point A, backing, doing proper paperwork, driving to point B, backing, doing proper paperwork; but be aware that you will run into obstacles that need to be overcome in a logical way. This was a very fulfilling job for me. Other drivers were willing to give a hand if it was needed.
Pros
A comfortable place, good benefits, good people.
Cons
Away from home for long periods of time.
Best out of the large trucking companies
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARAugust 20, 2015
Out of all the major trucking companies, I would probably rate Schneider as one of the best. Good pay, decent benefits, and they give you pretty good home time. Biggest thing people complain about is the home time, but I'd always give a full day of leighway and never had issues with it at that point. If they get you home a day late, they will tack on that day.

Probably some of the best training and training pay as well. Their starting pay when you start driving on your own is far superior to any of the other major companies as well. I started with them teaming and only had a few months experience under my belt, but was still very happy with how my pay was scaled, and they do give regular raises depending on experience.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
may get you home a day late for hometime
Excellent for the job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 12, 2015
The pay and benefits are competitive. The company as a whole is fair and easy to work with. The job itself isn't all that bad for what I do. It has it's downsides of course. The first being isolation. I know some people prefer it but I do not. The second being advancement. There really isn't anything else to move to. That made it a job for me, rather than a career. Lastly, I detest the physical inactivity. Even with a desk-job, you can get up and walk around for lunch breaks, and you will still find yourself at home each day. With that sort of work, my physical activity would be my problem. I can choose to work out or engage in sports, etc.
Pros
Great pay/ benefits
Cons
Isolation, very little time at home (expected), sedentary
Core values, Safety and Diversity with Inclusion
Independent Contractor Rep, Bulk Division (Current Employee) –  Gary, INFebruary 20, 2016
Hands down, one of the best companies I have ever worked for. Professionalism and core values are Schneider key competencies. The team I work for is a great team who prides assisting independent contractors in leading them to succeed in their business. Benefits are great and they give you generous time off so you can balance work and home like.
Pros
Different facilities within the United States
Cons
Not one located in Las Vegas
It`s not a team working company.
COMMERCIAL TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2016
This company is lonely everyone is to themselves, management treatment varies and for the most part I feel it needs attention. The most stressful part would be driving around looking for a good empty and having to replace broken or missing lights while not being compensated. The enjoyable part would be site seeing different cities. I learned that in intermodal you have a lot of labor and stress compare to over the road or regional driving.
Pros
Automatic Trucks
Cons
chasing empties
great beginnings
Driver (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAOctober 9, 2015
A great place to start your driving career. short 3 week training program, on your own week 4. Pay per mile with bonuses depending on situation on delivery. You WILL be away from home at least a week at a time with up to 5 days at home (more days home for every week out)
Pros
open road, understanding supervisors, easy training
Cons
upper management doesn't seem to care about the drivers, away from home for long periods of time
Over four years of experience in the modular Data Center Market. Highly proficient, versatile, productive estimator/designer. Good communication and p
Engineer, ITB LOB (Pre-Sales) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 4, 2015
As a Quoting Engineer will utilize technical knowledge to prepare quotation packages for Engineered To Order (ETO) projects with the guidance of a Quotation Manager. Interpreting customer requirements, match products to customer specifications/drawings and ensure that the quote is technically compatible and competitive by communicating with the Solution Architect to determine/clarify project requirements. Generate basic/conceptual designs with a 3D software tool and include Bill of Materials, Cost Calculations and Pricing. Hand-off a quotation package with comments on exceptions and built in value for use by the Solution Architect in customer presentations
Pros
401K match 6%, Good medical and dental insurance etc
Great Teamwork inside Khols Warehose
laborer (Current Employee) –  Garden City, GANovember 2, 2015
Working at Khols warehouse our shifts start with a meeting, giving us an insight of what the work will be looking like for that night giving us motivation to get it done. Also reminding us to stay safe and watch out for the wet spots on the floor. What I really like about their management is whenever they see the majority of the laborers slacking they call another meeting to get us right back together and bring that motivation back which was very rare but also needed. The hardest part of the job was getting your energy back after coming back from lunch after a well plated meal which is the longest five minutes of regenerating Ever. The most enjoyable part of the job was finishing them high count trucks to add on to your production, best part of the night. What I learned from working with such a good crew is that team work is key learn your team mates know your team mates and always have each other backs.
Pros
Work kept me busy and I gotta good workout everytime
Cons
work slowed down
Fun and productive place with ping pong table
OTR Truck Driver Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 17, 2016
Typical oversized corporation. Communications move at a snails pace. if at all. Orieintation for IC's filled with wasted time & "busy-work", better spent on real world scenario's.
Cons
Communcation, micro-management to the nth degree.
very shallow
driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2016
this company is full of you-know-what. ever since I came back they have not lived up to their commitment to me. they want to work you from 12 to 14 hours a day. I trained a driver for four days and they would not pay me for training him. When I had family issues and they made me come to work the next day with no time off to get my head together. I can definitely say I will be leaving this company when I find another job it's not worth my time and effort. and I have also worked for them before but on a dedicated account all they care about is a customer and not driver. and it's true when you break down the layover pay is only $65 if you're in a place overnight. DBLs are those that have never drove a truck before and sit in the office all day with their 2 year degree setting on the wall what an awful place to work I'm really ashamed of Schneider.
Pros
just a job
Cons
no initiative and they keep your bonus
You will make no where near 50,000
regional\OTR driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX\laredo ocApril 22, 2016
I've been with snchider for 3 months they suck if you just looking for exp then they are okay bit pay wise I run 2500+ miles a week and only take home 500-600 they start you off at 33 cents a mile I was out 3 weeks and I was literally shut down for 4 days do to no freight it's very slow tight now if you need a stepping stone for some exp they are good where they get people is with the 6000 sign on bonus by the rate I'm going I will be lucky to make 30,000 this year and the bonus they tax you 25 percent so ur only getting 4500 they tac you 1500 nobody make the same mistake I made if your looking for a decent paying job and you have at least 3 months exp JB HUNT
Pros
Newer model truck nothin else
Cons
Pay, loads, hometime
Fast-Paced Work Environment
Carrier Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2016
This company is constantly seeking new growth and opportunity. Potential to do well as a top 10 sales associate. Very high employee turnover rate.
Pros
Good Office Environment
Cons
Low Salary
Definitely not a $65,000 a year job
Driver OTR (Current Employee) –  St.Louis MissouriMay 9, 2016
Schneider is a good company for any driver to start with and a good company for some people to stay with long term but most will outgrow Schneider within a couple of years. The training is very comprehensive but the company does have procedures that you have to follow many of which AR pointless. The trucks are Governor to go up to 60 miles per hour however they are set for maximum fuel efficiency so they don't have very much power or acceleration. They claim that you can make up to $65,000 a year butt that isn't true by any stretch of the maximum pay and driving as many hours as you possibly can you may make $50,000 a year. They also require that you go to an operating Center frequently for training and maintenance as well as picking up supplies, fueling etc. Which sometimes gets in the way of doing your actual job of driving the truck.
They do require that you drive in a pre-designated routes that are frequently slow-moving and longer to go around toll roads.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Micromanagement