Schnitzer Steel

Schnitzer Steel Employer Reviews

fun place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Madbury, NHJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: good benafits
Cons: not alot of cons
typical workday started off you setting up your work area
management was cool they try to work with you if you have issues
Productive and well managed company with lots of advancement opportunity.
Commercial Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee), Concord, NHDecember 15, 2013
Pros: great benefits, advancement opportunities
Schnitzer had a great network of helpful and knowledgeable co-workers that came together as one amazing team. There were always new tasks and projects day to day, which kept the job interesting. I learned a magnitude of policies, computer applications, and general daily business practices from this company.
Schnitzer
Shredder Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Everett, MAOctober 8, 2013
Pros: great compensation
Cons: poor work life balance. company heading in a poor diretion
Schnitzer was a great place to work but has recently become an undesirable workplace. The safety culture is poor and the management is unfocused.
Fast paced friendly company
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee), Concord, NHSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: diversity
Cons: extremely cold enviroment in winter.
Typical day at work consisted of dealing with suppliers, truck drives, mechanics, welders and running of the warehouse. I found that it was constantly changing and you would have to put out a lot of fires but enjoyed this type of environment.

I learned all about heavy equipment and capitol equipment. Management was a pleasure to deal with. The hardest – more... part of the job was receiving and purchasing for various different locations that were located throughout NH and Maine and sometime the paper work would get lost. – less
Scrap Industry
Employee (Current Employee), FloridaJuly 3, 2013
Tell us about:
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names.
ok not over the top
Owner representative/Project Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 6, 2012
Would work for them again if the timing was right would like to work for them again
Used to be a great place to work.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Tacoma, WASeptember 25, 2012
Management has gone down hill in the 17 yrs., a typical day at work was get in your machine and move scrap all day, co-workers where all good people and a joy to work with.
Good safety training
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 10, 2012
Pros: i liked my co workers
Cons: there was only one break all day
It was good place to work I was in the maintenance dept and also ordered all the parts for the maintenance and plant
Created a management training program for operations management succession planning. Sourced and managed Caliper pre-employment assessments.
Training & Organizational Development Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: exposure to all aspects of the business across 60 locations in us and canada, loved the travel expereinces.
Cons: reorgization due to economic conditions eliminated my position
Facilitated and trained managers for compliance with state ferderal employment law to reduce risk. Developed core competency identification by position for supervisors, mangers, department directors and executive management.
Non-traditional fun work place.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Everett, MAMay 2, 2012
A typical day at work you see the trucks coming into the site. Lots of people in their safety gear as the environment is industrial. I learned a new industry and a new business I did not know existed. The staff knows their information and are very informed with the ever changing market prices.
scrap yard
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Columbus, GAApril 1, 2012
Pros: could work overtime every day
Cons: corporate could have been better
Worked various positions, fast paced, learned 6 positions. Hardest part was extreme temps. in equipment most enjoyable was the employees and customers and seeing how much you got done in a day.
productive place
Production worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2014
everyday you live as a new day ,nice company to work for and one of the largest employer in alberta
great place to work and to bad they closed shop
Truck Driver (Former Employee), ChilliwackFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: well looked after trucks and equipment
good place to work....long hours and high miles. Everybody there was good to work with..Winters can get alittle hard. Sometimes the Roads can be bad but other then that I injoyed driving
productive,no fun job
Labour (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: there are non
Cons: under staffed
This company is not a good place to work and for this im in search of other work.
Pretty good experience at Schnitzer Steel.
SAI Business Partner (Former Employee), Surrey, BCFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: the work is interesting and the people i worked with were great, both clients and suppliers were great to deal with also.
Cons: nature of the business leaves little room for work life balance. also job security.
My main task was to ensure business processes were in place to use SAI as the ERP system. That meant learning the business and system we were migrating to, but had no documentation or any foreknowledge of what the new system was like. It was a culture shift for the employees as Schnitzer (large corporation) had just moved into Canada(a bunch of small – more... companies). My main task was to prepare the employees and make sure the business did not shut down when the system went live. The people from head office were great. The project went fairly smoothly.

Then Schnitzer expanded further into Canada, and I had to be able to travel with less than a day's notice to meet the new employees and train and have them up and running even if the ERP system was not in place. I found myself travelling, sometimes 3 weeks of the month with only 1 or 2 day's notice of where I should be. Most times, I felt I did not have enough time to properly train most people.

Schnitzer is a good company to work for. They strive to have great ethics and they treated me very well. However, the business is mapped very closely to the commodities market and when the US economy is poor, so is the business. I saw the stock price drop 40% in a 1 month period and when that happens, the company needs to do drastic things like layoffs with little notice. They seemed to have to do that often. – less