Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews

Very challenging company mentally and physical
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHOctober 27, 2016
Started my day around 430 am. The work was challenging and demanding. Management was in and out, and sometimes non existent until they finally brought in respectable knowledgeable people.
Pros
Compensation was generous and home life was balanced
Cons
Constant changes in procedure and mgmt. personnel
Very diffult company to work with
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 23, 2016
Very high turn over of management and non-salaried staff. They seem to throw a lot of money around but don't give the type of trainning that is necessary to keep newly hired employees.
Schnitzel steel Ind
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 13, 2016
A typical Day at Schnitzer Steel, was informational, fun, and fast pace. I learned about the heavy duty machines and parts needed to keep them functioning and the large ships that would sail in to pick up the material. Management in Oakland was a delight to work with.
The hardest part of the job is leaving all of the co-workers the i have developed a long time relationship with and the enjoyable part of the job was traveling to for training and conversing with the vendors.
Pros
Birthday parties
Fun and Productive with co-workerw
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at Schnitzer was exciting on some days. I learned about Sennebogans, forklifts, manlifts, and other heavy equipment.

The hardest part of the job, was emergencies and learning the intricate. I built a great rapport with Management and co-worker. I've learned to work with various vendors. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the various aspects of life and celebrating Birthdays and Holidays.
Pros
lots of cake
Cons
missing those that have moved on
Good Company that is having trouble
Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 4, 2016
The company is facing headwinds currently causing a multitude of layoffs and store closures. The work environment is very pleasant and the people are great. The job was mostly a production AP position which did not lend itself to many variations. That being the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part was that I knew my job well and did my job well.
Pros
The boss was a great cook.
Cons
It became an unstable place to work
always changing managers
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Wallula, WAFebruary 21, 2016
the pasco yard is just a feeder yard to Portland, problem with that is Portland is never happy with what you do. the buyers don't explain to the customer about what is wanted and not wanted so they are always sending hate mail are bad phone calls telling you that your not doing your job wright.
Lower level employees are nice; upper level, useless
Sales (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHJanuary 8, 2016
I learned that backstabbing is the way to the top of the ladder. If you are good at throwing folks under the bus, you will fit right in. You are simply a number and no one cares about anything but the bottom line. Safety is what they preach 24x7 but this is one of the most unsafe places I have ever worked at. I'm amazed that they are still in business and have not been shut down by OSHA. The only time they pay attention to safety is when someone dies or are critically hurt. There are some real hard workers there but they are not recognized at all. The ones that have been there forever and do nothing are the ones who keep making the money and getting raises. It's ridiculous but it's a job.
Benefits
Cons
Everything Else
long hours, poor work life balance, poor management, good benefits
Manager (Former Employee) –  Everett, MAJanuary 15, 2016
typical day expectation 5am-4pm plus weekends. Expectations are that you are always there and available by phone at all times. Weekends are expected, management questions and micromanages at every turn.
Benefits and pay were the only positive.
Northeast became a "good ole boys club" from Jersey
Great little yard to work in
Facilities and Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 15, 2016
Good group of people, good pay and benefits, management for the most part leaves you alone. Hardest part of the job out there was you were seperate from the rest of the group.
Great People
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Attleboro, MAMarch 10, 2016
Has the potential to be a great company but lacks leadership and direction.
Excessive turnover is the norm and will continue.
was fun working there
steel burner to linkbelt crane operater (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 25, 2016
was long time ago.Do not remember much except i liked my supervisor. most enjoyable was have a powerful machine at my finger tips, stressful but fun
High paced work, plenty of hours and room for advancement in the company
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 3, 2015
I worked on the shredder sorting copper, it required heavy lifting and long hours. I improved my teamwork skills and followed strict safety guide lines. The management was good they treat there employees really well, It was dirty and took a little getting used too but the hardest part of the job was getting to the end of Lombard where it is located. The most enjoyable part of the job was the long hours and the fast paced environment.
Pros
Good people, oprotunity for advancement.
Cons
Productive and a team work enviornment
A/P Document Scanner (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 14, 2015
I felt as if I was just a number while working at Schnitzer Steel. I was also commuting from Salem to down town Portland every day and it was extremely hard on my vehicle. If you like the "Corporate" world, then Schnitzer Steel is the Company for you. I prefer the more family oriented companies myself. I am a hard worker, praise means more to me then the money. I just felt like a little guppy in an ocean, working at Schnitzer Steel, later I found out I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I did like the fact that I was busy from start to finish which made each day fly by.
Pros
Pays nice and a lot of work to keep you busy throughout the day
Cons
Very Corporate oriented, extremely stressful atmosphere
Not stable environment
Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORAugust 12, 2015
Feel this employer has not been able to make emoployees feel safe in their jobs even after a long time employment. Human Resource department is awful in handling personnel issues and management is inconsistent.
Pros
Benefits for nonunion are good.
Cons
Horrible management
Simply Horrible Place to Work, and Getting Worse
Office (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 15, 2015
Culture of fear all around. Company talks about ethics all the time but is the most shady, dishonest place I have ever worked. Horrible morale, which is understandable because it is definitely a 'throw you under the bus' mentality and practice.

No advancement possible, unless you are willing to bend over to the desires of the upper management. They promote the idiots, while the hard workers who actually care remain as cast offs.

I really have no idea how this business is still in business.
Benefits
Cons
Nothing good to say about that place
Productive with bad training.
Grounds Person (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIFebruary 25, 2015
I would get to work at about 6 or 7 depending on the day. I would clock in and grab the clipboard and head out to the plant. I would start the Air Compressors and go up to the top floor and get the eddies currents moving. Mack sure that the locks were off the control boxes. Set the recipe for the run we were doing that day. I would start the plant and make sure as much as possible that it would all go smooth running. Then when the run was done I shut down the plant and start to help with the clean up. what I learned was all of the above of what I have already said and how to help change out the conveyer belts and idlers. Management was ok but it still had its bad times. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see what was accomplished.
great work place
Laborer/Weight Master (Former Employee) –  Macon, GASeptember 27, 2015
learned varies lessons from all employees.
go into work full of energy leave with the same attitude.
all of the co-workers were friendly and respectful to one another.
Interesting business
Container Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAMarch 26, 2015
Typical day involved reading and replying to emails; checking web sites of Ports and various shipping vessels to confirm any booking changes; check with carriers, (export and domestic), to confirm container pick up / delivery's; meet with warehouse supervisor about shipping schedule; update daily report, forward to designated staff. Contact specific domestic customers to discuss delivery scheduling.

Learned an enormous amount about export & domestic shipping. Dispatchers for exports, whose business it is to know the inside and out of Ports, Terminals and shipping lines, know their business. I trust their knowledge and expertise ~

Hardest part of the job was working with and for malicious adolescents.

Enjoyable part of the job was accomplishing tasks; solving issues; meeting a handful of great, great people.
Created a management training program for operations management succession planning. Sourced and managed Caliper pre-employment assessments.
Training & Organizational Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 6, 2012
Facilitated and trained managers for compliance with state ferderal employment law to reduce risk. Developed core competency identification by position for supervisors, mangers, department directors and executive management.
Pros
exposure to all aspects of the business across 60 locations in us and canada, loved the travel expereinces.
Cons
reorgization due to economic conditions eliminated my position
Fast paced friendly company
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHSeptember 4, 2013
Typical day at work consisted of dealing with suppliers, truck drives, mechanics, welders and running of the warehouse. I found that it was constantly changing and you would have to put out a lot of fires but enjoyed this type of environment.

I learned all about heavy equipment and capitol equipment. Management was a pleasure to deal with. The hardest part of the job was receiving and purchasing for various different locations that were located throughout NH and Maine and sometime the paper work would get lost.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Extremely cold enviroment in winter.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schnitzer Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7