Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews

Very high stress employment environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 9, 2017
Very difficult place to work. I was hire as General Manager but was never given the opportunity to manage my yard. Had constant interference from other managers. This facility was purchased for 75 million, but was only worth maybe 10 million. So, upper level management was constantly trying to cover there tracks. Employees from the former owner created a hostile enviorment for the new management. False acusations were leveled on new management and upper level management in fear of the labor force walking off the job released the new management. Information about the difficulties of this location were never disclosed to this new manager.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Poor Upper Management
Northeast Regional Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Everett, MAOctober 18, 2017
They had no use for Asset Managers. Saved them hundreds of thousands of dollars with excellent cost saving programs. Had a great management when I started and a very poor management team when we parted company. They are the worst in the industry from top to bottom. It starts with the CEO and progresses down. Had a great team that left or was let go. Now they are at the bottom of the barrel.
Pros
Once a great comapny
Cons
Now the worst company to work for
I liked itq
Intern (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAAugust 27, 2017
I liked working for schnitzer steel. It was a good internship and I really liked the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was working in the sun.
Too many houra and too many days. Management is an absolute joke.
Maintenance/Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 27, 2017
We work 12 hour days and 6 days a week mandatory. Most of the time our Sundays are required as well. Any time you miss is automatically pulled from your PTO. Managemt is horrible.
Great learning experience
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 8, 2017
Working for this company has been a pleasure but in all honesty the hrs we work are close to slave hrs. Granted we do get paid well but it kills your family life... so if your in it for the money this is the company but if you value family then you might wanna look other places.
Schnitzer
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 25, 2017
Schnitzer was not a good place to work. The work life balance was not encouraged. The management did not listen to the non management at all. Don't recommend
Productivity
Sr. Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAMarch 31, 2017
Management and workplace provides ample opportunity to voice new ideas. The Company supports innovation and continuous improvement. Executive Management fosters advancement though a well documented process. Bonus program is based off profitability within each Group; therefore, the bonus structure is tied to how successfully one can manage to a budget and schedule.
Pros
Exceptional Functional Teams/Groups
Terrible work experience
Financial Analyst / Plant Controller (Former Employee) –  Salinas, PRMarch 28, 2017
The Puerto Rico Operations has a terrible work culture. Low Employee Morale, Abusive Top Management, Difficult Work Conditions, Lack of Human Resources Office
Pros
Few
Cons
Many
Many positives, some negatives
Regional Health & Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIMarch 9, 2017
Typical professional day considering the profession I was engaged in. I enjoyed the employees and the overall work but found management to be in developmental phase many times. The culture is what you would expect at a salvage/recycling company, there is a multicultural challenge that must always be considered. They are striving to improve management and overall company performance in a market that is widely variable dependant on market conditions.
Pros
Individual professionals are left to do the work they need to do
Cons
Management changes and turbulence
Not stable
Operations (Former Employee) –  Portland Heights, ORFebruary 2, 2017
This is by far the worst place I ever worked. Toxicity is rampant in the culture. Upper management is clueless or doesn't care...not sure which. Would not recommend.
Good place to advance
Operating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 30, 2017
Great place to work if your really ready to work. Hard work was your best friend here. The company is always expanding. If your looking to make a good living and do it honestly, this is the place.
Great Place to Work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 29, 2016
Enjoyed position, people were great, work flow and projects were interesting. Fair pay however company has made a lot of cut backs and had a number of lay offs.
Schnitzer Steel
Operator (Current Employee) –  Everett, MADecember 26, 2016
I've been working for Schnitzer Steel as an operator for about thirteen years. Located in Everett, Ma. The company has great job security and alot of benefits. Through networking, I was able to help a few people gain employment over the course of the last ten years. Anyone with management or operations experience, Schnitzer is a great place begin or start a career.
Very diffult company to work with
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 23, 2016
Very high turn over of management and non-salaried staff. They seem to throw a lot of money around but don't give the type of trainning that is necessary to keep newly hired employees.
Very challenging company mentally and physical
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHOctober 27, 2016
Started my day around 430 am. The work was challenging and demanding. Management was in and out, and sometimes non existent until they finally brought in respectable knowledgeable people.
Pros
Compensation was generous and home life was balanced
Cons
Constant changes in procedure and mgmt. personnel
Workplace Culture
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORMarch 15, 2016
The culture seems to be stuck in the 70s it's a mid-size company that always says they have to much to adopt progressive management techniques
Schnitzel steel Ind
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 13, 2016
A typical Day at Schnitzer Steel, was informational, fun, and fast pace. I learned about the heavy duty machines and parts needed to keep them functioning and the large ships that would sail in to pick up the material. Management in Oakland was a delight to work with.
The hardest part of the job is leaving all of the co-workers the i have developed a long time relationship with and the enjoyable part of the job was traveling to for training and conversing with the vendors.
Pros
Birthday parties
Great People
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Attleboro, MAMarch 10, 2016
Has the potential to be a great company but lacks leadership and direction.
Excessive turnover is the norm and will continue.
Fun and Productive with co-workerw
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at Schnitzer was exciting on some days. I learned about Sennebogans, forklifts, manlifts, and other heavy equipment.

The hardest part of the job, was emergencies and learning the intricate. I built a great rapport with Management and co-worker. I've learned to work with various vendors. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the various aspects of life and celebrating Birthdays and Holidays.
Pros
lots of cake
Cons
missing those that have moved on
Good Company that is having trouble
Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 4, 2016
The company is facing headwinds currently causing a multitude of layoffs and store closures. The work environment is very pleasant and the people are great. The job was mostly a production AP position which did not lend itself to many variations. That being the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part was that I knew my job well and did my job well.
Pros
The boss was a great cook.
Cons
It became an unstable place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schnitzer Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8