Schnucks Employee Reviews

Great benefits, terrible pay and culture.
SEAFOOD DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 17, 2017
I've been with Schnucks my whole adult life. It was flexible, i was able to move up in the company and had a good balance between life and work.
Within the past 3 years however, the job culture has changed remarkably. The company cannot retain any new hires, more and more work is being forced on to part time employees with no experience and more responsibilities are piled on to managers.
Pros
the health insurance is insanely good
Cons
very short breaks, work weekends and holidays, poor job culture
Excellent
PHARMACIST IN CHARGE (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 4, 2017
Schnucks Markets represents a family owned regional grocery company that is the epitome of excellence in the Food and Pharmacy industry. Schnuck’s corporation has supplied the Pharmacy department with the necessary cutting edge services and equipment necessary to keep us competitive in the industry, allowing us to give our patients the attention they deserve. I’m proud to be a part of this company.
maintenance
Journeymen industrial electrician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 24, 2016
dairy maintenance work pumps motors relay logic controls the plant is no longer in operation my time there was as a maintenance person to fix repair anything and ever-thing basically a facilities person the ammonia refrigeration was open stator reciprocating compressors with very old wiring and floor conveyors there was always something breaking down
Pros
steady job
Cons
old plant
Terrible but productive work place
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOJanuary 2, 2017
I was working for schnucks for quite awhile and the management team was terrible. There was no organization, the schedule was all out of whack. The managers and a few team members have horrible work ethic. There wasn't a day where there was drama. Employees didn't believe in a 15 min break would be gone for longer than 45 mins.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Terrible managers
bagger
Bagger (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63141December 10, 2016
I hated working at Schnucks. Schnucks's management treated everybody like they were incapable to do there job. They always have problems with employees. There was never a time I say I was excited to go to work. I work my butt off and they would raise my salary. I was the only one working and they was rushing me to do everything, when another employee was hiding. There's nothing good to say about Schnucks.
productive job
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2017
As soon as I clocked in I was busy working. I worked all over the meat department. I worked in smoke meat, service counter and in the back wrapping product and breaking down loads. I learned about different types of meat from being in the back wrapping. working in smoked meat I learned how to use and order machine to order different products needed to fill the shelves.
Good Store, Bad Location
Bagger/Porter (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILDecember 21, 2016
The Schnucks in Fairview Heights, Illinois isn't bad in terms of the overall management of the store and its aesthetics, but the location it's in is a bit unbearable when working there. The store is surrounded by a lot of poor communities that are filled with cranky old people and young people who just aren't very bright. Most of the customers I served are pretty level headed for the most part, but every now and then you just come across an ignorant person who kinda shoots your mood down a little bit. The fact that the store is open for 24 hours leaves some of the late night workers open to having trouble with shoplifting teens. So overall, the store is great for shopping in, but not so great to work in.
Pros
Coworkers are friendly for the most part
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare benefits don't kick in until you work for the store for more than 4 years
the pay not that great and the only benefits is if your full time but most employee's are part time
bakery clerk (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 14, 2017
it is a nice place to work but not getting 40 hours weekly stinks..
the pay could be more i'm only getting 2 days of work but most of the other employee's are nice
Pros
you get 10% off certain things in the store
Cons
you don't have to punch out for breaks unless you leave for lunch
Very demanding, unkind management, inconsistent shifts
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ballwin, MOJanuary 6, 2017
The management was terrible. I was promised a set amount of hours when I applied, but that was not true. I was constantly given more hours than I could handle. The employees were not friendly, and for the amount of work I did, I was not payed enough.
Cons
Short breaks, inconsistent schedule, rude managers
nice job for people attending school
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking, Cook (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 24, 2017
job was great with working around school hours yet the pay and teamwork relations were poor, the have a high rate of people who come and go most likely due to the fact the don't pay well enough for some to manage life off of, only if you were a manger of some sort.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
pay
Productive and energetic with peaceful work environment
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 27, 2016
I have wonderful co-workers and manager. It is fun to be in the bakery. I have learned so much about management. Decorating seasonal themes such as Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas is the most enjoyable part of the job. The only problem for part-time employees is health benefits program.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Healthcare
low pay
Center Store- Stocker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 19, 2016
they offer low pay that you can barely survive off of and also made you work in other positions in which you had no experience and did not want to compensate. its cool for high school students to work here but if your trying to live life because your in college. it be wise to find something with higher pay and better working conditions and standards
Pros
10% discount on schnucks products
Cons
low pay and vaguely any benefits for part time workers with health conditions
Good work, but not good enough pay, or hours.
Granite City, Illinois - Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 10, 2016
Not a bad job, the management in my department was good,I was able to learn how to properly speak with customers, and how to work well in a team. The hardest part of the job was learning the numbers for the meat that we made. The most enjoyable part was being able to speak with the customers. The pay wasn't great, and neither were the hours. But it's a great starter job
Enjoyed serving our customers. Also worked with a good team of people.
Deli Teammate (Former Employee) –  Eureka, MOAugust 30, 2016
I enjoy Deli work and especially working with the customers. The job was made easier with the staff I worked with.

There was never a typical day at the Deli. It all depended on the weather, the season, and other events in town. It was always busy.

Co-workers are very supportive and pitch in when and where needed to keep the customers happy.
Pros
Satisfaction of offering a good product and keeping the customers happy.
Cons
Possibly a few more small breaks would help depending on the staffing for the day.
Great people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOJanuary 3, 2017
The team members were always amazing when you come in everyone always asks how you are doing. You get your breaks all the time. The hardest part of the job is standing on your feet without moving to much. Management is very understanding under any condition.
Good company to work for.
Cashier/Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, Mo.November 20, 2016
I enjoyed working at Schnucks. The customers were my favorite part of working there. The management was super nice in every store I worked. I worked at 4 different stores during my 11 years there. The last store I worked was The Culinaria. I retired in 2014.
Family Oriented
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, INJanuary 23, 2017
The first thing you learn how to do here is how to process a WIC order. The management are very nice and understanding, especially if you have to be late to work for some reason like your car broke down.
Pros
hospitable management and crew
Cons
sometimes forget breaks
great working with people
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ballwin, MOSeptember 6, 2016
The management isn't very great. The job is demanding and the hours are always changing which isn't very helpful when you have a family. learned a lot of skills including cuts and types of meats and how to use several new machines. Best part of the job is the customers who are always wanting to talk and ask suggestions.
Cons
short breaks, healthcare is ok but not great
Serious work enviornment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 8, 2017
I really did not enjoy working for schnucks. They did not have any benefits. Their pay rate was very low. The management was fairly nice but they could not work with you and help you were you needed to be helped
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Short Breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 28, 2017
Great Company to work for. Very family oriented. Opportunity to get to know customers. The hardest part of the day is the physical aspect. Long periods of standing in one spot. Most enjoyable part is meeting new people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schnucks. Our community is ready to answer.