Scholastic Employee Reviews in United States

Bogus commisions, and hardly no training
Bookfair Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  MissouriJuly 28, 2016
When you interview you dont know this is a hard core sales job. Your performance is based on uncontrollable circumstances. Salary in interview is promised to be more than make, and it takes approximately a year to get the hang of the job.
Pros
flexable hours/ off on summer
Cons
Micro manage
Company Overview
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 27, 2016
The work is terrible. The management team is horrible. It's all about who you know, you can work for ten years and still be looked at like a kid coming outta high shool working his first job. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here unless you bout to be homeless!! It's that bad. They don't care about you at all. To be honest it's modern day slavery.
Pros
Read many different books
Cons
The management team is horrible
Awesome place of employment
Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 17, 2016
Very nice place to work. Income was pretty good compared to the work you were doing. The only thing is adjusting to the weather.
My Review
General Labor Clerk (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 13, 2016
I worked with them as a temp for about 2 months. They said they would try to hire me and never got back in contact with me after calling me in to fill out an application in person. I was sent a generated email that the position was filled on April Fools Day.
Most of the co-workers also seemed negative. And the manager for some reason thought it was okay to tell me he disliked most of his team.
Pros
No one seemed happy with working there.
Cons
I didnt get offered healthcare
Family friendly company
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJuly 6, 2016
I loved my time at Scholastic - very family friendly company with a lot to offer - was still going through developmental phase when I worked there so you had the opportunity to touch change
Pros
Great meetings
Cons
Travel
Scholastic
Warehouse Employee (Current Employee) –  Caledonia, MIJune 6, 2016
A typical day of work might consist of packing and assigning fairs. Ability to stand for 8 hours and lift 25+ pounds repetitively each day is required. Fun work atmosphere with flexible schedule options. Pay and average work hours are minimal, usually just a seasonal position for about 8 months of the year.
Working for Scholastic
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
I love working for Scholastic Book Fairs! I visit the schools that are assigned to me and teach them how to run, set up, merchandise, and restock their book fairs, it is a perpetual book party for 9 months.
Pros
meeting new librarians
Cons
not enough hours
good company to work for
Branch Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTJune 4, 2016
I love working here. I love their mission and what they do, they have a very flexible schedule and you have summers off.
The co workers are great. It can get pretty tough when it is peak time.
Technology team culture is horrible
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
The executives in the technology team instill a horrible culture. Working in other parts of Scholastic may be different but if you work for Technology, you will be challenged by values instilled in those above you. Individuals remain because of long-term commitment from previous management that existed. Sadly, the organization i no longer a great place to work with continued outsourcing, a CIO that not approachable and top technology Executives that amust be highly paid to tolerate this behavior and push down onto their staff members.
Pros
CEO with good intentions
Cons
Work Culture
Management has little managerial training. No opportunity for advancement.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILMay 26, 2016
Tiny desks and you sit practically elbow to elbow with fellow employees. You can hear every conversation around you when you are trying to talk to a customer.
Poor management.
n/a
Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 12, 2016
Good benefits and a place to start but seems as if there are more cons than pros. Its a lot of labor so you must be fit. More cons than pros, more cons than pros.
If you love childrens books, this is the place for you.
Product coordinator (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAMay 4, 2016
A typical day during the 9 months school was open was very busy packing cases to be delivered to schools for book fairs.

I learned what children liked to read about.

Loved my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was making sure people stayed busy during the summer.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting all the cases built and all the orders out for shipment.
Pros
Monthly parties with a different theme
Cons
Rotation and organization
Overall
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTMay 2, 2016
Good company overall. Needs more employees. Doesn't pay enough to gain these employees. It has been a good job and though i can give improvements, it does seem like change is attempted on a semi -regular basis.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Short breaks, low pay
Business Analyst
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 2, 2016
As a business analyst at Scholastic I learned very many useful skills such as Microsoft office (with an expertise in Excel), Microsoft SQL, and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
Only male working in warehouse
Full time warehouse (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2016
Good job with nice women and men. I was the only male besides the truck drivers and the occasional temp that came when work was very busy. Learned the inner workings of book fairs and what goes into them. I wasn't a sociable person at the time; especially around women. But, it was fine once I got that fear set aside. Putting together the orders for each school that was scheduled for book fairs was enjoyable. Got more interested in writing after reading a few books at the down time
Productive Work Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 28, 2016
A typical work day at Scholastic consisted of entering information for book sales. And submitting the orders for shipments.
Great co-workers
Print Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 27, 2016
Would have liked to have stayed with the company but after purchasing Grolier, Scholastic moved the divisional workforce to it's NYC head-quarters. I was asked to stay on, but ultimately the commute was too much.
Great place to work for a fun environment, unless you want to pay your bills
Data Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 27, 2016
Scholastic has a very relaxed environment, having no dress code is one of the biggest perks. I enjoy not having to focus on impressing anyone with my attire and being able to focus on my work.However, if you are looking for a job where you would like to make decent money for what you do, Scholastic is NOT the place to work for. Not to mention, working for a company that has a point system for time off and sick time, really makes it discouraging to work there. Constantly monitoring how much sick time you have or needing to take a day off for family emergencies makes the experience less enjoyable.
Great Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTApril 22, 2016
Typical day started at 6:00 a.m. with some days starting at 5:00 a.m. My day would start by loading as many as 28 book cases .each weighing from 200 lbs. to 300 lbs. onto a 26' box truck. Then, I would drive to a schedule route unloading them and pushing them into a predetermined location at each school on my route. These schools were in Utah, S.W. Wyoming, W. Nevada and So. Idaho. Then, after the respective book fairs were over I would go and retrieve them, again by pushing them onto my truck and return them to the warehouse and unload them. Many days my day wouldn't end until after 5:00 p.m. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers and the associations and friends I made at many of the schools I dealt with over the years. It wasn't much fun pushing those heavy book cases through snowy and/or icy conditions.
Pros
Helping the youth with reading opportunities
Cons
Working in inclement weather
Productive and fun workplace, personal goal setting, as well as company timeline, enjoyably challenging
Warehouse Picker (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 15, 2016
A typical day begins with a discussion of daily goals and timelines. Then we stretch out. After everyone gathers the tools needed for the daily task we go to our stations and begin.

I have learned to appreciate the book fairs and all that goes into them. I have also learned to appreciate the responsibility that management has over us.

The newer management is great, very helpful, and understanding of the workers. They do all they can in a timely manner to see to it that we have what we need to accomplish the task at hand. They are fun and endeavor to create and enjoyable atmosphere in the warehouse.

I enjoy all of my co-workers, there's not a bad one in the bunch. We all work well together and independently, we check up on each other to see if someone might be needing some help.

The hardest part of my job is the 5:00am alarm on my cell Monday mornings.

The most enjoyable part of my job....I can't say any one thing because I love all of it. I haven't learned a task I don't like yet.
Pros
5 hour days, easy to learn, not micromanaged
Cons
minimum wage, dry environment from paper products