Scholastic

Scholastic Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Lead (Current Employee), West Chester OhioJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Summers
Cons: Pay
Love working at scholastic because its a great job when you have kids early hours and weekends and holidays off. Also summers off
Great co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Moberly, MOJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Healthcare
Cons: Short breaks
taking inbound calls placing orders.
I learned how a book club operates.
I you ever had a problem management were always very happy to assist. Very friendly.
Great co-workers
Dealing with very upset customers
Knowing that you made a child happy with receiving a new book
Excellent Place to develop your skills
Business Analyst and QA Lead for MDM project (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 26, 2015
Pros: Excellent learning environment
Cons: not enough growth
I am a highly qualified Software Quality Engineer/BA with both manual and automated testing background. In my current project, I have been doing a lot of business and data analysis concerning the Master Data Management project that oversees enterprise data as well as ensuring the quality of the product. Fully involved in the software development life cycle, as well as a lot of data governance.
warehouse work is always hard work
Material Handler (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOJune 8, 2015
Pros: good pay and great people to work with
Cons: hard work and a lot of dust
The job I had was with the shipping warehouse as such it was hard work. The pay, at the time I worked there was pretty good and the people I work were great people to work with. If you have an issue with indoor allergies may want to the place builds up a lot of dust quickly during a shift.
highly professional focus
Proofreader (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 7, 2015
Pros: collegial atmosphere
Cons: job insecurity (to be expected as a temp)
Assignments varied.
They included proofreading hardcopy, proofreading online, and critiquing online content (math problems and videos).

I learned to be very careful in proofreading and to avoid copyediting.

Management was good.
Weekly meetings provided information and feedback, which were also provided individually.
Down time was rare but paid.

Co-workers were generally friendly and supportive.

The hardest part was restricting myself to proofreading based on the Chicago Manual of Style and the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

The most enjoyable part was reading language arts material and checking math.
Fast paced work environment with significant growth potential
Reading Club Fulfillment Control Manager (Current Employee), Jefferson City, MOJune 7, 2015
There really isn't a typical day in my position. It's all about ensuring the effective and efficient fulfillment of Reading Club orders in a nutshell. It's a fast paced work environment and can be very demanding at times.

Scholastic is an international business with offices located across the country. I work with people in the corporate office in NY along with members in our NJ office as well.

There is a constant pressure to ship orders out on time, minimize backorders, and maintain efficiency. I have many great co-workers and work with many great managers as well.

The most enjoyable aspect of what I do is working with my direct reports to continually tackle challenges and move things forward. The most difficult aspect of the position is the corporate politics and the unwillingness to make major changes.
Laid back environment but management lacks structure
Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 3, 2015
Pros: Work/life balance
Cons: Management lack structure, lacks training
A typical day at work would to attending scrums to go over updates and potential issues found and blockers. I learned how to be a professional and picked up some technical skills and management skills when I was working there. But I wanted to learn more on the technical side of things and be more involved and productive and the company did not provide that for me. Most of the co-workers were nice and friendly but some were really pushy and did not care if you needed help on completing a task.
prductive workplace
Power Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Munhall paMay 30, 2015
Pros: people and management
Cons: Pay and shift reliability
good work enviorment but not enough compensation. A typical day would be unloading and loading trucks full of book cases, putting books back into storage, and inventory.Th best part of the job are the coworkers, its a people friendly place. The hardest part of the job is the no stable work shifts and lack of compensation.
very productive and easy place to work
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOMay 30, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, good place to work
Cons: Dirty and dusty boxes and hot in the summer when your 2 stories hight under the lights
A typical day includes using a forklift and going up and down isles grabbing boxes and when the pallet is full drop it and grab another and go again.I learned how to use several different types of forklifts to do different jobs throughout the warehouse.The manager is ex-military and very strict and firm but he is decent.I got along with all my co-workers and they were great to help out if I had a question.The hardest part of the job was getting around pallets when we started getting backed up.The most enjoyable part of the job was learning to drive different kinds of forklifts
Its ok
Branch Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee), McAllen, TXMay 26, 2015
Not a very good place to work if you are going to school. Work is good and Fast paced but depending on you manager you might not be fit for it.
Fun, Family- bonded Environment
Product Coordinator (Current Employee), Covington, GAMay 9, 2015
Fun, family-bond, connected environment. Enjoy working in a place that provides an educational learning to children through books. I've learned that everyone, regardless of age, has some passion for reading, Management allows the employees to get involved in all aspects of reading by allowing you to purchase books through the company using employee discounts. They also reward you by providing company lunches,and yearly anniversaries. A disadvantage to this fun, family-bonded environment is the lack of hours worked. Being a part-time seasonal employee, you hardly( unless needed) work a full 8 hrs. day.
Always short handed, big turnover
Team Lead (Former Employee), TexasMay 7, 2015
Pros: holidays
Cons: bad managed and very low wages for all that they ask you to do as a lead.
Little to non training, always short handed if your on 2nd shift. Managers don't care about the 2nd shift. No advancement, they rather bring someone from the outside with no knowledge, than giving the opportunity to grow for one of their own that has proven itself. As a lead you end up doing everything because they don't want to hire nobody. Upper management don't have a clue how to run a business and play a lot of favoritism with the lazy workers, but over use and burned out the ones that worked. Is an ok company, but the branch that I worked in my opinion has to be one of the worse in the company.
Don't expect any training or advancement
Warehouse Generalist (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 2, 2015
Pros: it's a job. some supervisors are cool.
Cons: virtually 0% chance for a raise or advancement. Everyday is a struggle due to poor planning, understaffing, high turnover rate and poor management.
At or barely above minimum wage. Hours are always being mismanaged and shifting. The company is very cheap when it comes to budget which equates to too much physical labor for not enough pay. I stayed for 4 years trying to advance until I finally got some forklift certification and started working with bulk. I did not get paid anymore but still worked overtime hoping that the promotion they were talking about would finally come. It never did and I couldn't wait anymore while they took advantage of me. Some coworkers are cool but some people who have been here forever complain every single day, it brings you down. Incompetent boss disrespecting me after asking what I had to do to advance in the company was the last straw. I had to get out.
Productive busy place to work fun place to work
Help teachers (Former Employee), grove city, ohioApril 15, 2015
Cons: seasonal
While fast paced was very relaxed and enjoyable place to work. I enjoyed packing boxes to be sent to book fairs as well as helping teachers that came in for teacher sales.
Putting books into the hands of kids
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Irwindale, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: discounted books
Cons: micro-mangement and lack of concern for customers needs
The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers. Although the company provided very little resources we to worked together and help each other out.
Fun place to work
Business Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2015
Fun place to work. Management and co-workers are great. Excellent work/life balance. Lots of opportunity for growth and development and the company offers lots of training.
Best Children publishing Co.
SALES DIRECTOR (Former Employee), MexicoMarch 23, 2015
Pros: best in all aspects.
Cons: they leave too soon int. market
A great place to work. A lot of publishing, market coverage and penetration. One of the best Book Clubs to work with.

Stay away from the Fresno Branch
Product Coordinator (Current Employee), Fresno, CAMarch 3, 2015
Management here is only here for a paycheck and every time you have an issue that needs to be addressed they will hear you out and do nothing about it. If you want to work for a place where you're great at what you do and not get any form of appreciation or acknowledgement this is the place to work for. Management nor Corporate know how to promote from within the branch and would rather hire someone from outside.
Great people to work with
Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Olympia, WAFebruary 25, 2015
The people that work there really make the job great. It it fun working with schools helping them plan book fairs. The hardest part of the job is management.
job productivity
Lead Person (Former Employee), Marlborough, MAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: no free lunch
Cons: breaks not bad
typical day is the fast paste of job.enjoyable day is getting the work done in a professional way.the hardest part is learning a new job.management will have done better.co-workers are amazing.what i learned every day is anew experinece

1 2 3 4 5

About Scholastic

Once upon a time, a company grew up to become one of the world's leading children's book publishers. Scholastic Corporation sells – Read more

Scholastic Salaries