Scholastic Employee Reviews

Fun but stressful
Trade Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 9, 2017
High turn over rate, even more so when management changes hands. During my time there I had a change in team leader, management and department management within a year.
Lots of office gossip, however company does have lots of fun events like ice cream days and dress up weeks.
Pros
Benifits are good, they try to keep stress down
Cons
requirments and quota change some time with out reason or warn
I loved this job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAJuly 28, 2017
Scholastics is a family environment. You really feel like the manager and supervisors really care about you. They are more than fair and reasonable. I only left this position because I gained debt and needed more hours of work to pay it off. As a part timer you will get anywhere from 12-32 hours per week. On average about 20 hours per week. This gave me enough time to be with my family and work at the same time. Overall, the job is not hard, my co workers were helpful, and it was not one of those "watch the clock" type jobs. It is fast paced, but do able.
Pros
Friendly people, lots of free time outside of work
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moberly, MOJuly 27, 2017
I did not work at scholastic for very long, but they were very focused on providing the teachers with the best deals and making it as easy to order as they possibly could.
A good work place.
Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Monroe, CTJuly 27, 2017
Crazy busy maybe 6 months of the year, and more relaxed the other 6, good management. Enjoyed working there. Left because of injury, needed time to recuperate.
Great work place to learn but not to grow
DIGITAL ADVERTISING COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2017
Learned a lot about digital media but unfortunately, there is not enough of a budget within the company for full-time employment or growth. Employees are very nice and helpful.
Be aware of the lies you will be told...
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 17, 2017
Employees are paid next to nothing, while managers get paid thousands. The branch and warehouse managers pick and choose which rules to follow based on how well they like you, and use the company's policy to their convenient. You're not allow to sit or have conversations. The managers are sitting in their offices doing "computer work" while a few workers do work and some don't. It's a very toxic environment. Almost as if employees have no rights.
Pros
Unpredictable and unreliable but management but nice hourly team
FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 14, 2017
The typical work day was long and unpredictable. I leaned many new social skills and forklift operation. Management was unorganized and rude. There was a lot of workplace drama. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management and changing policies to their advantage. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Pros
Incentive and guaranteed hours.
Cons
No job security
nice place to work
Merchandiser/Book Fair Suport Rep (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 13, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my job with Scholastic! I just needed more hours than what I was getting. I enjoyed the flexibility of my job around family life. Great place to work and I had fun in my job.
Pros
flexible hours, loved being out in the field
Cons
hours were not permanent, seasonal position
unreal
Senior Credit Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 13, 2017
the company is unwilling to change for the better. Stating that they have done it this way for forty years and refuse to change.Upper management gets large pay increases and bonuses. Middle management and staff gets very small pay increases and no bonuses.
Pros
back stabbing if you like it
Cons
very small pay increases
mediocre software company
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 12, 2017
Never had a convincing strategy for the systems they developed. In the end, the whole division was sold to Houghton Mifflin. HMH then shut down most of the development.
Enthusiastic for Scholastic
Branch Inventory Controller (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 9, 2017
This company is as willing to be passionate about your advancement as you are willing to be passionate about their mission. If you are a true believer of the importance of child reading and development, Scholastic will make you proud,
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, Fun Work Environment, Light on the Rules and Regs, Discounted Stock Purchasing, Met Life Insurance, Tons of Vacation Time, 401k is fairly decent
Cons
Wages are low, but it is for a good cause.
Order Clerk I/Stock Handler (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 7, 2017
Fast paced environment. Factory work. Great people to work with. They have really good benefits. Not really sure what else to say. But a good place tow work.
Pros
Good people
Cons
heavy lifting
Great Mission
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WAJuly 7, 2017
Great work environment with a fantastic mission of helping children to read. Work schedule is perfect with summers and most holidays off. New in the upcoming year is working from home.
Pros
telecomute
Cons
working with unemployment during the summer leave
Stressful and threatening job security
Material Handler, Forklift Operator. (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 6, 2017
The work is simple overall, the expectations of management is reasonable. The ethics of management is questionable. Management makes personal rules and regulations that are not backed by the company and when found out are ordered to change but any adverse affects on employees are not considered or acknowledge, the company hides behind a "no fault" policy forcing it's employees to work even when very sick or in circumstances that would require a leave of work such as a family members attempted suicide. I was not awarded with compassion and understand instead I was given a attendance point that threatens my job security and advancement opportunity.
Pros
Simple work
Cons
Corrupt management, employee worth is not considered.
Fun place to work
Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJune 28, 2017
Fun place to work but no room for growth and not the greatest management. Compensation was poor with little to no benefits. Job security was always good.
Horrible place to work
Branch Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2017
This place has poor working conditions. There is absolutely zero room for growth and advancement. One of the worst places that I have ever worked in my entire life.
Pros
Leaving
Scholastic Outside Field Representtaive
Outside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJune 27, 2017
Great product line, flexibility, but low salary. Working with schools and promoting book fairs! Working with PTA's, principals and volunteers to organize successful book fair
Pros
2 months off in Summer
Cons
Low pay
Fun place to work
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Neosho, MOJune 21, 2017
Love the company and the environment. Everyone is helpful and cheerful and always eager to help. Always willing to lend an ear if you need help, and great benefits such as discounts in the employee store and online orders.
Pros
Discount books
Good for experience in multi tasking
TERRITORY SALES (Current Employee) –  O‘ahu, HIJune 21, 2017
Company needs to focus on catering to certain demographics. Training is not that great and management is never on the same page.Communication between management is horrible things never get resolved.
Pros
discount
Cons
communication
Cool place to work
Part-time Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 18, 2017
I liked working here. I was a order puller its a very big building so there was alot of walking, bending, reaching and building a box for each order. I love it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scholastic. Our community is ready to answer.