Scholastic Employee Reviews in United States

n/a
Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 12, 2016
Good benefits and a place to start but seems as if there are more cons than pros. Its a lot of labor so you must be fit. More cons than pros, more cons than pros.
Overall
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTMay 2, 2016
Good company overall. Needs more employees. Doesn't pay enough to gain these employees. It has been a good job and though i can give improvements, it does seem like change is attempted on a semi -regular basis.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Short breaks, low pay
Business Analyst
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 2, 2016
As a business analyst at Scholastic I learned very many useful skills such as Microsoft office (with an expertise in Excel), Microsoft SQL, and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
Only male working in warehouse
Full time warehouse (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2016
Good job with nice women and men. I was the only male besides the truck drivers and the occasional temp that came when work was very busy. Learned the inner workings of book fairs and what goes into them. I wasn't a sociable person at the time; especially around women. But, it was fine once I got that fear set aside. Putting together the orders for each school that was scheduled for book fairs was enjoyable. Got more interested in writing after reading a few books at the down time
Productive Work Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 28, 2016
A typical work day at Scholastic consisted of entering information for book sales. And submitting the orders for shipments.
Great co-workers
Print Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 27, 2016
Would have liked to have stayed with the company but after purchasing Grolier, Scholastic moved the divisional workforce to it's NYC head-quarters. I was asked to stay on, but ultimately the commute was too much.
Great place to work for a fun environment, unless you want to pay your bills
Data Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 27, 2016
Scholastic has a very relaxed environment, having no dress code is one of the biggest perks. I enjoy not having to focus on impressing anyone with my attire and being able to focus on my work.However, if you are looking for a job where you would like to make decent money for what you do, Scholastic is NOT the place to work for. Not to mention, working for a company that has a point system for time off and sick time, really makes it discouraging to work there. Constantly monitoring how much sick time you have or needing to take a day off for family emergencies makes the experience less enjoyable.
Great Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTApril 22, 2016
Typical day started at 6:00 a.m. with some days starting at 5:00 a.m. My day would start by loading as many as 28 book cases .each weighing from 200 lbs. to 300 lbs. onto a 26' box truck. Then, I would drive to a schedule route unloading them and pushing them into a predetermined location at each school on my route. These schools were in Utah, S.W. Wyoming, W. Nevada and So. Idaho. Then, after the respective book fairs were over I would go and retrieve them, again by pushing them onto my truck and return them to the warehouse and unload them. Many days my day wouldn't end until after 5:00 p.m. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers and the associations and friends I made at many of the schools I dealt with over the years. It wasn't much fun pushing those heavy book cases through snowy and/or icy conditions.
Pros
Helping the youth with reading opportunities
Cons
Working in inclement weather
Productive and fun workplace, personal goal setting, as well as company timeline, enjoyably challenging
Warehouse Picker (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAApril 15, 2016
A typical day begins with a discussion of daily goals and timelines. Then we stretch out. After everyone gathers the tools needed for the daily task we go to our stations and begin.

I have learned to appreciate the book fairs and all that goes into them. I have also learned to appreciate the responsibility that management has over us.

The newer management is great, very helpful, and understanding of the workers. They do all they can in a timely manner to see to it that we have what we need to accomplish the task at hand. They are fun and endeavor to create and enjoyable atmosphere in the warehouse.

I enjoy all of my co-workers, there's not a bad one in the bunch. We all work well together and independently, we check up on each other to see if someone might be needing some help.

The hardest part of my job is the 5:00am alarm on my cell Monday mornings.

The most enjoyable part of my job....I can't say any one thing because I love all of it. I haven't learned a task I don't like yet.
Pros
5 hour days, easy to learn, not micromanaged
Cons
minimum wage, dry environment from paper products
Great Company
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 15, 2016
I enjoyed working here very laid back enviorment , everyone to them selves . Friendly people clean and big working enviorment , good hours still had my whole day to do what I wanted and had my weekend off.
Driver
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 3, 2016
My typical day starts in the early morning, when there is not too much traffic. I enjoy being able to drive around to different schools in the areas.
Pros
start early
Cons
have to commute
Cool Place
Front End Web Developer, The Teacher Store (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 29, 2016
Nice atmosphere, smart teammates, overall satisfactory experience. Great lunchroom, cheap meals, I would be glad to work there again.
Great place for teamwork
Regional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 28, 2016
Scholastic is a great company to work for that really works on improving everyone every day. Co-workers are working with you and not against you. The best part about the job is the availability to travel all over the United States and see and meet people from very different walks of life. However, the most difficult part is also the travel if you have a family that needs you home.
Pros
Travel, benefits
Cons
per-diem only
Very rewarding Work culture
Web Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2016
I started with this company since 2001 as a Temporary employee through Adecco Staffing, and was hired full time in 2003 by the direct manager that I was working for. The work culture is great. A very Family oriented team that was very culturally inclusive. I enjoyed my years of working there and would still be working there if my team wasn't downsized in 2015.
Ok company
Order Picker Operator (Former Employee) –  Roselle ilFebruary 24, 2016
It was ok to work at. But hours were not part time aa they said.

I waa an ordered picker. We would be seasonal and only get 15 min break when we would work 6hrs a day.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Short breaks
Great atmosphere for management
Regional Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 20, 2016
This place is great to work for as long as you're not at an entry level position. Middle and Upper management jobs provide a lot of freedom with their responsibilities.
Very accommodating
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Neosho, MOFebruary 17, 2016
Scholastic is very accommodating around your needs. Training is also very good. People are very friendly. Company gives a lot back to their employees.
I like it.
Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2016
As an older worker it is perfect for me. Would like to be able to put in hours all year round !!!!

My manager is great to work with.

The heat can be a little tough in the hot months but there are fans that help. My co-workers are fine to work with. On my shift we all work well together.
Pros
They hire older workers.
Cons
Not being able to work year round.
productive and fun team, with lots of editorial control
Supervising Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2016
My time at Scholastic was very satisfying because I was able to plan, edit, and produce a large number of books, with a high degree of independence. My colleagues were talented and fun.

The hardest part was struggling with some weaknesses in the infrastructure.
This was a good part-time for me. I like working with every one there. I get along with everybody.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 28, 2016
When i first start at Scholastic, i was just an order picker. Later on I started helping the lead with inventory. I really like working there but i have to try to find something full time.
Pros
lead and Manager buy us lunch sometime
Cons
no health care