Scholastic Employee Reviews

Is a very nice place of books for kids
Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 21, 2016
The job is very fast quick paced. I learned a lot in the customer service dept.Enjoyable meeting new people. Management was Okay...they watch you like a Hawk.
Pros
free food on pot lucks
Cons
very short breaks
Poor management
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 13, 2016
They don't appear to be big on team work or cross training. Felt like a very silo environment. People are slow to respond to emails and manager didn't read his emails. Moving more towards a cloud based environment. Best part of the job was the location and hours. The New Jersey office shares space with the NBA who set up a ping pong table, a foosball table and basketball games in the atrium of the building.
Cons
Warehouse work and nothing else
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOSeptember 11, 2016
Management's only concern was results. They're such a large company that they don't care about their workers, and leave that to the individual team leaders.
great work place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 17, 2016
I enjoy the place where we worked and I enjoy my fellow co-workers as well I like the fact how our managers came in each week and asked us our feed back
easy going, great team and flexible
Product Coordinator Level 1 (Former Employee) –  Jersey Village, TXAugust 11, 2016
Working at scholastic was a great experience for a first time job. Although it was a seasonal position, I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Close to home, flexible hours
Cons
seasonal
Fun Place to Work
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 10, 2016
This place is an amazing place to work. The supervisors are awesome and friendly. The work is easy once you get to understand the process. And the rest of the staff are all like family: very welcoming and open.
Not the greatest
Order picker (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutAugust 10, 2016
I've worked for this company in the past and to be honest it was not that great. The pay is minimum wage and they overwork you for cr***y pay. They don't utilize the skills and experience that you may have working in a warehouse. You basically are stuck picking orders even if you have more experience doing other things. It is a temporary job. You only get one 15 min. break that's it. Management yells at you and treats you like dirt. This job is good for a college student or someone who needs a little extra cash from a temporary job. If you have a current job and are looking for a temporary second job. Forget it. They will not work with you or accommodate your other job. You would be better off driving for uber or something. Dry and dusty environment so be prepared to get dirty.
Pros
Good for someone in between jobs.
Cons
Cra**y pay, do not utilize your skills, only one 15 min. break, will not work around another job.
Perks
P/T Seasonal Temporary Product Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 9, 2016
Perks-All The Above & More! Nice Friendly Staff. Luncheons. Product Discounts. Flexible Schedule. Reliable Hours & Reliable Rehire. Advancement Oportunites. Save & Sane Work Environment.
Upper Management Personnel Are Sheer Bundles Of Joy.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Not All Employers Have Perks
Great job for the money but not for the stress level.
Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILAugust 6, 2016
This company is a good one to work for if you need a good paying job and benefits but your daily stress level will sky rocket with the amount of micro-management that is allowed to happen in this branch of scholastic. Not my best 'corporate' experience.
Hours/time off are great
Driver (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 30, 2016
The "boss" at the Syracuse branch will call you multiple times during the day, call you at home, call you on the weekends. Micromanaging every single aspect of everything. It's a great job other than the boss.
Pros
Summer's off
Cons
The headaches from micromanagement
Bogus commisions, and hardly no training
Bookfair Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  MissouriJuly 28, 2016
When you interview you dont know this is a hard core sales job. Your performance is based on uncontrollable circumstances. Salary in interview is promised to be more than make, and it takes approximately a year to get the hang of the job.
Pros
flexable hours/ off on summer
Cons
Micro manage
Company Overview
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 27, 2016
The work is terrible. The management team is horrible. It's all about who you know, you can work for ten years and still be looked at like a kid coming outta high shool working his first job. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here unless you bout to be homeless!! It's that bad. They don't care about you at all. To be honest it's modern day slavery.
Pros
Read many different books
Cons
The management team is horrible
Awesome place of employment
Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 17, 2016
Very nice place to work. Income was pretty good compared to the work you were doing. The only thing is adjusting to the weather.
My Review
General Labor Clerk (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 13, 2016
I worked with them as a temp for about 2 months. They said they would try to hire me and never got back in contact with me after calling me in to fill out an application in person. I was sent a generated email that the position was filled on April Fools Day.
Most of the co-workers also seemed negative. And the manager for some reason thought it was okay to tell me he disliked most of his team.
Pros
No one seemed happy with working there.
Cons
I didnt get offered healthcare
Average workspace not air though
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 7, 2016
Needs air conditioning. Needs to work on management. Other than that a decent place to work. Work can get repetitive. And they move you around alot. Mangment doesn't always inform the employees of changes going on.
Pros
Good hours, pay, benifits
Cons
No Air Conditioning and lots of walking, Strict and Managament
Family friendly company
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJuly 6, 2016
I loved my time at Scholastic - very family friendly company with a lot to offer - was still going through developmental phase when I worked there so you had the opportunity to touch change
Pros
Great meetings
Cons
Travel
Scholastic
Warehouse Employee (Current Employee) –  Caledonia, MIJune 6, 2016
A typical day of work might consist of packing and assigning fairs. Ability to stand for 8 hours and lift 25+ pounds repetitively each day is required. Fun work atmosphere with flexible schedule options. Pay and average work hours are minimal, usually just a seasonal position for about 8 months of the year.
Working for Scholastic
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
I love working for Scholastic Book Fairs! I visit the schools that are assigned to me and teach them how to run, set up, merchandise, and restock their book fairs, it is a perpetual book party for 9 months.
Pros
meeting new librarians
Cons
not enough hours
good company to work for
Branch Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTJune 4, 2016
I love working here. I love their mission and what they do, they have a very flexible schedule and you have summers off.
The co workers are great. It can get pretty tough when it is peak time.
Technology team culture is horrible
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
The executives in the technology team instill a horrible culture. Working in other parts of Scholastic may be different but if you work for Technology, you will be challenged by values instilled in those above you. Individuals remain because of long-term commitment from previous management that existed. Sadly, the organization i no longer a great place to work with continued outsourcing, a CIO that not approachable and top technology Executives that amust be highly paid to tolerate this behavior and push down onto their staff members.
Pros
CEO with good intentions
Cons
Work Culture