Scholastic Employee Reviews in United States

Technology team culture is horrible
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
The executives in the technology team instill a horrible culture. Working in other parts of Scholastic may be different but if you work for Technology, you will be challenged by values instilled in those above you. Individuals remain because of long-term commitment from previous management that existed. Sadly, the organization i no longer a great place to work with continued outsourcing, a CIO that not approachable and top technology Executives that amust be highly paid to tolerate this behavior and push down onto their staff members.
Pros
CEO with good intentions
Cons
Work Culture
If you love childrens books, this is the place for you.
Product coordinator (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAMay 4, 2016
A typical day during the 9 months school was open was very busy packing cases to be delivered to schools for book fairs.

I learned what children liked to read about.

Loved my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was making sure people stayed busy during the summer.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting all the cases built and all the orders out for shipment.
Pros
Monthly parties with a different theme
Cons
Rotation and organization
Only male working in warehouse
Full time warehouse (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2016
Good job with nice women and men. I was the only male besides the truck drivers and the occasional temp that came when work was very busy. Learned the inner workings of book fairs and what goes into them. I wasn't a sociable person at the time; especially around women. But, it was fine once I got that fear set aside. Putting together the orders for each school that was scheduled for book fairs was enjoyable. Got more interested in writing after reading a few books at the down time
Great place to work for a fun environment, unless you want to pay your bills
Data Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 27, 2016
Scholastic has a very relaxed environment, having no dress code is one of the biggest perks. I enjoy not having to focus on impressing anyone with my attire and being able to focus on my work.However, if you are looking for a job where you would like to make decent money for what you do, Scholastic is NOT the place to work for. Not to mention, working for a company that has a point system for time off and sick time, really makes it discouraging to work there. Constantly monitoring how much sick time you have or needing to take a day off for family emergencies makes the experience less enjoyable.
Great place for teamwork
Regional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 28, 2016
Scholastic is a great company to work for that really works on improving everyone every day. Co-workers are working with you and not against you. The best part about the job is the availability to travel all over the United States and see and meet people from very different walks of life. However, the most difficult part is also the travel if you have a family that needs you home.
Pros
Travel, benefits
Cons
per-diem only
Great Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTApril 22, 2016
Typical day started at 6:00 a.m. with some days starting at 5:00 a.m. My day would start by loading as many as 28 book cases .each weighing from 200 lbs. to 300 lbs. onto a 26' box truck. Then, I would drive to a schedule route unloading them and pushing them into a predetermined location at each school on my route. These schools were in Utah, S.W. Wyoming, W. Nevada and So. Idaho. Then, after the respective book fairs were over I would go and retrieve them, again by pushing them onto my truck and return them to the warehouse and unload them. Many days my day wouldn't end until after 5:00 p.m. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers and the associations and friends I made at many of the schools I dealt with over the years. It wasn't much fun pushing those heavy book cases through snowy and/or icy conditions.
Pros
Helping the youth with reading opportunities
Cons
Working in inclement weather
Very rewarding Work culture
Web Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2016
I started with this company since 2001 as a Temporary employee through Adecco Staffing, and was hired full time in 2003 by the direct manager that I was working for. The work culture is great. A very Family oriented team that was very culturally inclusive. I enjoyed my years of working there and would still be working there if my team wasn't downsized in 2015.
Its a good place for people looking for seasonal work
Forklift Truck and Order Picker operator (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 18, 2016
Scholastic Book Fairs has a lot of get people with big hearts, everyday is a learning day for something exciting. The managers really don't participate in daily work, just walk around constantly doing nothing. The morale is very low, there are not enough employee's to do certain jobs so people get hurt often. If you have young kids or like to read you get a 50% discount on all merchandise.
Pros
Monthly luncheon
Cons
Not enough employees to help out
Working for Scholastic
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
I love working for Scholastic Book Fairs! I visit the schools that are assigned to me and teach them how to run, set up, merchandise, and restock their book fairs, it is a perpetual book party for 9 months.
Pros
meeting new librarians
Cons
not enough hours
I like it.
Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2016
As an older worker it is perfect for me. Would like to be able to put in hours all year round !!!!

My manager is great to work with.

The heat can be a little tough in the hot months but there are fans that help. My co-workers are fine to work with. On my shift we all work well together.
Pros
They hire older workers.
Cons
Not being able to work year round.
Overall
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTMay 2, 2016
Good company overall. Needs more employees. Doesn't pay enough to gain these employees. It has been a good job and though i can give improvements, it does seem like change is attempted on a semi -regular basis.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Short breaks, low pay
This was a good part-time for me. I like working with every one there. I get along with everybody.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 28, 2016
When i first start at Scholastic, i was just an order picker. Later on I started helping the lead with inventory. I really like working there but i have to try to find something full time.
Pros
lead and Manager buy us lunch sometime
Cons
no health care
Management has little managerial training. No opportunity for advancement.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILMay 26, 2016
Tiny desks and you sit practically elbow to elbow with fellow employees. You can hear every conversation around you when you are trying to talk to a customer.
Poor management.
productive and fun team, with lots of editorial control
Supervising Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2016
My time at Scholastic was very satisfying because I was able to plan, edit, and produce a large number of books, with a high degree of independence. My colleagues were talented and fun.

The hardest part was struggling with some weaknesses in the infrastructure.
Great co-workers
Print Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 27, 2016
Would have liked to have stayed with the company but after purchasing Grolier, Scholastic moved the divisional workforce to it's NYC head-quarters. I was asked to stay on, but ultimately the commute was too much.
good company to work for
Branch Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTJune 4, 2016
I love working here. I love their mission and what they do, they have a very flexible schedule and you have summers off.
The co workers are great. It can get pretty tough when it is peak time.
comfortable atmosphere to work, meet new people, and learn skills related to processing and shipping, plus a great opportunity to reach out to kids.
Quality Assurance Inspector (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MONovember 28, 2015
Receiving, unloading and stocking shelves with books to be picked and sent to various schools across the world. Every day is a new experience with different methods of how to ship the proper books to the right schools.Management is excellent as well as co-workers.Hardest part of job is not making enough money.Most enjoyable is the chance to work with great people.
Pros
working for children
Cons
pay is low
Paraprofessional/ Locker Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Lathrup Village, MIJanuary 11, 2016
The enjoyable part of my job working with kids. I learned that many of the kids have different personalities. The hardest part of my job missing the kids at the end of day. I love working with my co workers.
Pros
Having days off when schools closed
Cons
Short breaks
Business Analyst
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 2, 2016
As a business analyst at Scholastic I learned very many useful skills such as Microsoft office (with an expertise in Excel), Microsoft SQL, and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
Great Company
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 15, 2016
I enjoyed working here very laid back enviorment , everyone to them selves . Friendly people clean and big working enviorment , good hours still had my whole day to do what I wanted and had my weekend off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scholastic. Our community is ready to answer.