Scholastic Employee Reviews

Great company that truly believes in its mission
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2016
Scholastic is an excellent company to work for, with good compensation and work/life balance. They are family-oriented, and really believe in their mission to promote literacy in children.
Great job for the money but not for the stress level.
Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILAugust 6, 2016
This company is a good one to work for if you need a good paying job and benefits but your daily stress level will sky rocket with the amount of micro-management that is allowed to happen in this branch of scholastic. Not my best 'corporate' experience.
Average workspace not air though
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 7, 2016
Needs air conditioning. Needs to work on management. Other than that a decent place to work. Work can get repetitive. And they move you around alot. Mangment doesn't always inform the employees of changes going on.
Pros
Good hours, pay, benifits
Cons
No Air Conditioning and lots of walking, Strict and Managament
Amazing work environment but no benefits for lower positions
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2016
Very relaxed work environment and dress code. Everyone is pretty funny and works hard. Working full-time with no benefits for lower positions because they're all hired through agencies.
Bogus commisions, and hardly no training
Bookfair Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  MissouriJuly 28, 2016
When you interview you dont know this is a hard core sales job. Your performance is based on uncontrollable circumstances. Salary in interview is promised to be more than make, and it takes approximately a year to get the hang of the job.
Pros
flexable hours/ off on summer
Cons
Micro manage
Great place for teamwork
Regional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 28, 2016
Scholastic is a great company to work for that really works on improving everyone every day. Co-workers are working with you and not against you. The best part about the job is the availability to travel all over the United States and see and meet people from very different walks of life. However, the most difficult part is also the travel if you have a family that needs you home.
Pros
Travel, benefits
Cons
per-diem only
n/a
Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 12, 2016
Good benefits and a place to start but seems as if there are more cons than pros. Its a lot of labor so you must be fit. More cons than pros, more cons than pros.
Not the greatest
Order picker (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutAugust 10, 2016
I've worked for this company in the past and to be honest it was not that great. The pay is minimum wage and they overwork you for cr***y pay. They don't utilize the skills and experience that you may have working in a warehouse. You basically are stuck picking orders even if you have more experience doing other things. It is a temporary job. You only get one 15 min. break that's it. Management yells at you and treats you like dirt. This job is good for a college student or someone who needs a little extra cash from a temporary job. If you have a current job and are looking for a temporary second job. Forget it. They will not work with you or accommodate your other job. You would be better off driving for uber or something. Dry and dusty environment so be prepared to get dirty.
Pros
Good for someone in between jobs.
Cons
Cra**y pay, do not utilize your skills, only one 15 min. break, will not work around another job.
Technology team culture is horrible
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
The executives in the technology team instill a horrible culture. Working in other parts of Scholastic may be different but if you work for Technology, you will be challenged by values instilled in those above you. Individuals remain because of long-term commitment from previous management that existed. Sadly, the organization i no longer a great place to work with continued outsourcing, a CIO that not approachable and top technology Executives that amust be highly paid to tolerate this behavior and push down onto their staff members.
Pros
CEO with good intentions
Cons
Work Culture
Perks
P/T Seasonal Temporary Product Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 9, 2016
Perks-All The Above & More! Nice Friendly Staff. Luncheons. Product Discounts. Flexible Schedule. Reliable Hours & Reliable Rehire. Advancement Oportunites. Save & Sane Work Environment.
Upper Management Personnel Are Sheer Bundles Of Joy.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Not All Employers Have Perks
Poor management
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 13, 2016
They don't appear to be big on team work or cross training. Felt like a very silo environment. People are slow to respond to emails and manager didn't read his emails. Moving more towards a cloud based environment. Best part of the job was the location and hours. The New Jersey office shares space with the NBA who set up a ping pong table, a foosball table and basketball games in the atrium of the building.
Company Overview
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 27, 2016
The work is terrible. The management team is horrible. It's all about who you know, you can work for ten years and still be looked at like a kid coming outta high shool working his first job. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here unless you bout to be homeless!! It's that bad. They don't care about you at all. To be honest it's modern day slavery.
Pros
Read many different books
Cons
The management team is horrible
Great Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTApril 22, 2016
Typical day started at 6:00 a.m. with some days starting at 5:00 a.m. My day would start by loading as many as 28 book cases .each weighing from 200 lbs. to 300 lbs. onto a 26' box truck. Then, I would drive to a schedule route unloading them and pushing them into a predetermined location at each school on my route. These schools were in Utah, S.W. Wyoming, W. Nevada and So. Idaho. Then, after the respective book fairs were over I would go and retrieve them, again by pushing them onto my truck and return them to the warehouse and unload them. Many days my day wouldn't end until after 5:00 p.m. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers and the associations and friends I made at many of the schools I dealt with over the years. It wasn't much fun pushing those heavy book cases through snowy and/or icy conditions.
Pros
Helping the youth with reading opportunities
Cons
Working in inclement weather
Data entry, customer service (Current Employee) –  Neosho, MOSeptember 24, 2016
Great place to work but need more permanent position that is full time. Typical day I take orders over the phone. Management and co-workers are very helpful and kind. Enjoy the pay and the way they work from home opportunity.
Pros
at home and pay
Cons
not enough hours and only temporary
Fun but with no commitment
Receptionist/Clerical/Administration (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Union City, CANovember 28, 2016
I only did tempt work here. Met some great people here but again no opportunities for permanent employment. I would recommend for young people looking to begin a career.
great company mission, terrible management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 4, 2016
wonderful place to work as far as benefits, but everyone fears for their jobs due to poor management and there is horrible retention in Cincinnati Branch
Good place to work if you are laid back
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 26, 2016
There is a good spread of work and a good team. Good work is expected, but expectations are very fair. I really like the management here. Also a good opportunity to operate in a way that you see fit.
Is a very nice place of books for kids
Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 21, 2016
The job is very fast quick paced. I learned a lot in the customer service dept.Enjoyable meeting new people. Management was Okay...they watch you like a Hawk.
Pros
free food on pot lucks
Cons
very short breaks
My Review
General Labor Clerk (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 13, 2016
I worked with them as a temp for about 2 months. They said they would try to hire me and never got back in contact with me after calling me in to fill out an application in person. I was sent a generated email that the position was filled on April Fools Day.
Most of the co-workers also seemed negative. And the manager for some reason thought it was okay to tell me he disliked most of his team.
Pros
No one seemed happy with working there.
Cons
I didnt get offered healthcare
Hours/time off are great
Driver (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 30, 2016
The "boss" at the Syracuse branch will call you multiple times during the day, call you at home, call you on the weekends. Micromanaging every single aspect of everything. It's a great job other than the boss.
Pros
Summer's off
Cons
The headaches from micromanagement