Scholastic

Scholastic Employer Reviews

Great Working Environment
Case Repairman (Former Employee), Draper UtahJanuary 17, 2015
Flexible concentrated working environment. Dedicated to providing the best book fair service possible. Often this meant demanding physical pace. Yet this was the best and worst aspect of the job.
Productive workplace
Customer Service Representative I (Current Employee), Neosho, MOJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches, friendly staff
Cons: angry customers, small desks
Typically at work, the only people I talked to were the ones I could reach easily from my desk. But everyone was extremely friendly. I learned that every customer is different. Therefore, you must treat each one like the individual they are. The hardest part of my job is dealing with extremely difficult customers. Sometimes, they can get extremely irate and I am the one who has to calm them down.
I'm good at this, though it is very taxing and sometimes stressful. But, the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have helped children read and given them the opportunity to become knowledgeable in all things.
Great work evironment
Picker/Loader (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 5, 2015
I enjoyed working here. Other employees where very cooperative and friendly.
Productive and fun work place
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: schedule flexibility
Cons: lack of upward mobility past team lead position
Typical work day consist of completing inventory, driving forklift, interacting with coworkers. Enjoyed the management team they had an open door policy and were available to help with the work load. The staff was mostly long term employees which allowed us to build a camaraderie with each other. The hardest part of the day was if we were behind in the workload which would cause for long day and the most enjoyable part was employee appreciation.
Fun productive enviornment
Book Club Representative (Former Employee), Neosho moJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: took book orders
• Took book orders over the phone.
• Maintained a clean, productive environment for employees and patrons.
• Demonstrated professional problem – solving skills between patrons and employees when negotiation was needed.
Not a good work environment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: benifits, and insurance
Cons: short breaks, no good areas for breaks
The environment was not good to in. There was too many people wanting to be in charge, no good leadership. A typical day was getting there early enough to get a good forktruck to operate. The co-workers were very judgemental. The hardest part was trying to keep up with the bosses and management, one would tell you something and you get into trouble with another.
Steady paced work with enjoyable co-workers
Production Coordinator (Former Employee), Brooklyn Park, MNDecember 22, 2014
Pros: co-workers, environment, hours.
Cons: having to fight for time off.
I filled cases for book fairs with a specific amount of product for each fair.
A good job for those that like to be helpful to others
Sale Associates (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 16, 2014
The Store SCHOLASTIC is a nice wonderful atmosphere that offers a lot of different varieties of books. The store also have Sales Associates in the store that are very helpful to customers and welling to do what it what ever it takes to satisfied the customers.
Hated it!
PCS1 (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLDecember 10, 2014
Pros: potlucks
Cons: things couldn't change or progress
When it came to working at this branch it sucked. Everyone/thing was so pleasant when we WEREN'T working(SKO meetings, potlucks, breaks, etc.). But once we got out onto the floor it was the worse job ever. The job isn't really hard but it is very demanding because it's something you don't do on a daily. I felt like a robot because it was the same repetitive work everyday. The manager just didn't like changing certain things. He's also very passive aggressive and micromanages A LOT. For us to do so much the pay sucks. You work 40 hours each pay period & get barely a $300 check. Management was a whole other situation by itself. The manager was just horrible. As if he never managed before. He micromanaged, he was very inconsiderate and he hates change. If things have been a certain way for a period of time he doesn't like it to change. Other than that the company & what they do is awesome I just really think that the branch manager needs to go.
very good place to work
CSR II (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MODecember 8, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
good place to work, great place for a starter job management could need some more training but overall fair its an okay place to work
Not the best place to work
Customer Service Phone Representative (Former Employee), Neosho, MODecember 3, 2014
Pros: great employees
Cons: your belief vs work promtions
The employees are very kind and are a great joy to work with. Some managers are decent, some managers were only advancing employees if they went to a bible college, it was treated like work vs. church. If you were a very active and profess all about your church involvement you were advanced .
productive, project friendly environment
CSR II (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MONovember 19, 2014
Pros: customer service week
Cons: short breaks
this is a fantastic company that deal mainly with schools. It was a great company to build my communication skills, it is also a work friendly environment the most enjoyable part of the job is when we get projects together. the most hectic part of the job was making sure we the orders right
Difficult place to work because of unrealistic sales goals, they had cornered the market and still expected to grow as they had previous to that
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), West Chester, OHNovember 16, 2014
Pros: they had some kind of celebration each month for birthdays of cupcakes, ice cream cake, or bagels.
Cons: horrible work environment
Included selling new book fairs, maintaining stock on current book fairs, staying up to date with school age reading, answering incoming calls from customers, keeping sales reports up to date,

I learned to find satisfaction in providing good customer service in spite of unrealistic expectations.

Management did not want to hear input from it's employees.

Scholastic became a revolving door for management and sales people, and the warehouse.

The hardest part of the job was a temper tantrum throwing GM.

The best part were the customers and co-workers.
Production
Stocker P1 (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 13, 2014
Pros: read books for free
Cons: no healthcare
One of the best job experiences I've ever had. I got a chance to help kids read books.
Great employees
Product Coordinator (Former Employee), Munhall, PANovember 4, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: part-time
Excellent employees. Management was supportive and encouraging. Pulled orders, inventory cycles, customer service, and shipping.
good people to work with but pay was low as compared to the job load
Driver (Former Employee), Auburn, WAOctober 29, 2014
In the peak season the drivers were really busy with the loading and unloading of the fairs along with long days, usually between 10 to 13 hours a day. The hardest part of the job was the delivery to school- the drive ways were not made for the bigger trucks and getting in and out of parking lots were very often crowded with either parents and/or busses.
Future is uncertain
SCHOLASTIC TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Current Employee), Utica, NYOctober 21, 2014
Pros: great people, fun job
Cons: job security
They hire for "ramp" and then you never know if you will be fired or moved to another area of the company or stay where you are. It's a great work environment it just has no certainty to it.
Hard work, but
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Lake Mary, FLOctober 20, 2014
Pros: paid for "working out, " accepting of visible tattoos and piercings, no drug test (unless working a forklift), numerous staff celebrations and gifts
Cons: hot warehouse
A great place to work. All the people (management included) are super nice and will go out of their way for you. They really appreciate their employees!
Scholastic Book Fairs
Book Fair Consultant (Former Employee), Lacey, WAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: 6 weeks off in the summer
Cons: the insane management team-some of who must have skipped their meds.
While they may be a childrens book fair company and you would think it would be a fun and enjoyable place to work, the Olympia/Lacey Washington branch is not. The management are bullies who discourage individual thinking. Comments such as " where is the duct tape so we can put it on his/her mouth" or you cannot sell Girl Scout cookies because they lead to bad things. Asking questions is not allowed in meetings, they are not idea shares, they are "sit and gets", we sit and are to be bobble heads. I would not recommend this company to anyone seeking employement. Do not buy into the hype they feed you, it is NOT a feel good place. The employees are wonderful hardworking people who are only working there until another job comes along.
It was great working with all of the books
Production Coordinator I (Former Employee), Schertz, TXOctober 14, 2014
Pros: books
Cons: no ac
Passing along the opportunity for reading is always a good job.

1 2 3 4 5

About Scholastic

Once upon a time, a company grew up to become one of the world's leading children's book publishers. Scholastic Corporation sells – Read more