Scholastic Employee Reviews in United States

My Review
General Labor Clerk (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 13, 2016
I worked with them as a temp for about 2 months. They said they would try to hire me and never got back in contact with me after calling me in to fill out an application in person. I was sent a generated email that the position was filled on April Fools Day.
Most of the co-workers also seemed negative. And the manager for some reason thought it was okay to tell me he disliked most of his team.
Pros
No one seemed happy with working there.
Cons
I didnt get offered healthcare
Company Overview
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 27, 2016
The work is terrible. The management team is horrible. It's all about who you know, you can work for ten years and still be looked at like a kid coming outta high shool working his first job. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here unless you bout to be homeless!! It's that bad. They don't care about you at all. To be honest it's modern day slavery.
Pros
Read many different books
Cons
The management team is horrible
Technology team culture is horrible
Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
The executives in the technology team instill a horrible culture. Working in other parts of Scholastic may be different but if you work for Technology, you will be challenged by values instilled in those above you. Individuals remain because of long-term commitment from previous management that existed. Sadly, the organization i no longer a great place to work with continued outsourcing, a CIO that not approachable and top technology Executives that amust be highly paid to tolerate this behavior and push down onto their staff members.
Pros
CEO with good intentions
Cons
Work Culture
If you love childrens books, this is the place for you.
Product coordinator (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAMay 4, 2016
A typical day during the 9 months school was open was very busy packing cases to be delivered to schools for book fairs.

I learned what children liked to read about.

Loved my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was making sure people stayed busy during the summer.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting all the cases built and all the orders out for shipment.
Pros
Monthly parties with a different theme
Cons
Rotation and organization
Only male working in warehouse
Full time warehouse (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2016
Good job with nice women and men. I was the only male besides the truck drivers and the occasional temp that came when work was very busy. Learned the inner workings of book fairs and what goes into them. I wasn't a sociable person at the time; especially around women. But, it was fine once I got that fear set aside. Putting together the orders for each school that was scheduled for book fairs was enjoyable. Got more interested in writing after reading a few books at the down time
Great place to work for a fun environment, unless you want to pay your bills
Data Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 27, 2016
Scholastic has a very relaxed environment, having no dress code is one of the biggest perks. I enjoy not having to focus on impressing anyone with my attire and being able to focus on my work.However, if you are looking for a job where you would like to make decent money for what you do, Scholastic is NOT the place to work for. Not to mention, working for a company that has a point system for time off and sick time, really makes it discouraging to work there. Constantly monitoring how much sick time you have or needing to take a day off for family emergencies makes the experience less enjoyable.
Not the greatest
Order picker (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutAugust 10, 2016
I've worked for this company in the past and to be honest it was not that great. The pay is minimum wage and they overwork you for cr***y pay. They don't utilize the skills and experience that you may have working in a warehouse. You basically are stuck picking orders even if you have more experience doing other things. It is a temporary job. You only get one 15 min. break that's it. Management yells at you and treats you like dirt. This job is good for a college student or someone who needs a little extra cash from a temporary job. If you have a current job and are looking for a temporary second job. Forget it. They will not work with you or accommodate your other job. You would be better off driving for uber or something. Dry and dusty environment so be prepared to get dirty.
Pros
Good for someone in between jobs.
Cons
Cra**y pay, do not utilize your skills, only one 15 min. break, will not work around another job.
Average workspace not air though
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJuly 7, 2016
Needs air conditioning. Needs to work on management. Other than that a decent place to work. Work can get repetitive. And they move you around alot. Mangment doesn't always inform the employees of changes going on.
Pros
Good hours, pay, benifits
Cons
No Air Conditioning and lots of walking, Strict and Managament
Bogus commisions, and hardly no training
Bookfair Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  MissouriJuly 28, 2016
When you interview you dont know this is a hard core sales job. Your performance is based on uncontrollable circumstances. Salary in interview is promised to be more than make, and it takes approximately a year to get the hang of the job.
Pros
flexable hours/ off on summer
Cons
Micro manage
Great job for the money but not for the stress level.
Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILAugust 6, 2016
This company is a good one to work for if you need a good paying job and benefits but your daily stress level will sky rocket with the amount of micro-management that is allowed to happen in this branch of scholastic. Not my best 'corporate' experience.
Perks
P/T Seasonal Temporary Product Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 9, 2016
Perks-All The Above & More! Nice Friendly Staff. Luncheons. Product Discounts. Flexible Schedule. Reliable Hours & Reliable Rehire. Advancement Oportunites. Save & Sane Work Environment.
Upper Management Personnel Are Sheer Bundles Of Joy.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Not All Employers Have Perks
Scholastic
Warehouse Employee (Current Employee) –  Caledonia, MIJune 6, 2016
A typical day of work might consist of packing and assigning fairs. Ability to stand for 8 hours and lift 25+ pounds repetitively each day is required. Fun work atmosphere with flexible schedule options. Pay and average work hours are minimal, usually just a seasonal position for about 8 months of the year.
Great Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTApril 22, 2016
Typical day started at 6:00 a.m. with some days starting at 5:00 a.m. My day would start by loading as many as 28 book cases .each weighing from 200 lbs. to 300 lbs. onto a 26' box truck. Then, I would drive to a schedule route unloading them and pushing them into a predetermined location at each school on my route. These schools were in Utah, S.W. Wyoming, W. Nevada and So. Idaho. Then, after the respective book fairs were over I would go and retrieve them, again by pushing them onto my truck and return them to the warehouse and unload them. Many days my day wouldn't end until after 5:00 p.m. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers and the associations and friends I made at many of the schools I dealt with over the years. It wasn't much fun pushing those heavy book cases through snowy and/or icy conditions.
Pros
Helping the youth with reading opportunities
Cons
Working in inclement weather
Great place for teamwork
Regional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 28, 2016
Scholastic is a great company to work for that really works on improving everyone every day. Co-workers are working with you and not against you. The best part about the job is the availability to travel all over the United States and see and meet people from very different walks of life. However, the most difficult part is also the travel if you have a family that needs you home.
Pros
Travel, benefits
Cons
per-diem only
Hours/time off are great
Driver (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 30, 2016
The "boss" at the Syracuse branch will call you multiple times during the day, call you at home, call you on the weekends. Micromanaging every single aspect of everything. It's a great job other than the boss.
Pros
Summer's off
Cons
The headaches from micromanagement
Very rewarding Work culture
Web Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2016
I started with this company since 2001 as a Temporary employee through Adecco Staffing, and was hired full time in 2003 by the direct manager that I was working for. The work culture is great. A very Family oriented team that was very culturally inclusive. I enjoyed my years of working there and would still be working there if my team wasn't downsized in 2015.
Working for Scholastic
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
I love working for Scholastic Book Fairs! I visit the schools that are assigned to me and teach them how to run, set up, merchandise, and restock their book fairs, it is a perpetual book party for 9 months.
Pros
meeting new librarians
Cons
not enough hours
Family friendly company
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJuly 6, 2016
I loved my time at Scholastic - very family friendly company with a lot to offer - was still going through developmental phase when I worked there so you had the opportunity to touch change
Pros
Great meetings
Cons
Travel
Management has little managerial training. No opportunity for advancement.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILMay 26, 2016
Tiny desks and you sit practically elbow to elbow with fellow employees. You can hear every conversation around you when you are trying to talk to a customer.
Poor management.
Its a good place for people looking for seasonal work
Forklift Truck and Order Picker operator (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 18, 2016
Scholastic Book Fairs has a lot of get people with big hearts, everyday is a learning day for something exciting. The managers really don't participate in daily work, just walk around constantly doing nothing. The morale is very low, there are not enough employee's to do certain jobs so people get hurt often. If you have young kids or like to read you get a 50% discount on all merchandise.
Pros
Monthly luncheon
Cons
Not enough employees to help out

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scholastic. Our community is ready to answer.