Scholastic

Scholastic Employee Reviews

Always short handed, big turnover
Team Lead (Former Employee), TexasMay 7, 2015
Pros: holidays
Cons: bad managed and very low wages for all that they ask you to do as a lead.
Little to non training, always short handed if your on 2nd shift. Managers don't care about the 2nd shift. No advancement, they rather bring someone from the outside with no knowledge, than giving the opportunity to grow for one of their own that has proven itself. As a lead you end up doing everything because they don't want to hire nobody. Upper management don't have a clue how to run a business and play a lot of favoritism with the lazy workers, but over use and burned out the ones that worked. Is an ok company, but the branch that I worked in my opinion has to be one of the worse in the company.
Don't expect any training or advancement
Warehouse Generalist (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 2, 2015
Pros: it's a job. some supervisors are cool.
Cons: virtually 0% chance for a raise or advancement. Everyday is a struggle due to poor planning, understaffing, high turnover rate and poor management.
At or barely above minimum wage. Hours are always being mismanaged and shifting. The company is very cheap when it comes to budget which equates to too much physical labor for not enough pay. I stayed for 4 years trying to advance until I finally got some forklift certification and started working with bulk. I did not get paid anymore but still worked overtime hoping that the promotion they were talking about would finally come. It never did and I couldn't wait anymore while they took advantage of me. Some coworkers are cool but some people who have been here forever complain every single day, it brings you down. Incompetent boss disrespecting me after asking what I had to do to advance in the company was the last straw. I had to get out.
Productive busy place to work fun place to work
Help teachers (Former Employee), grove city, ohioApril 15, 2015
Cons: seasonal
While fast paced was very relaxed and enjoyable place to work. I enjoyed packing boxes to be sent to book fairs as well as helping teachers that came in for teacher sales.
Putting books into the hands of kids
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Irwindale, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: discounted books
Cons: micro-mangement and lack of concern for customers needs
The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers. Although the company provided very little resources we to worked together and help each other out.
Fun place to work
Business Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2015
Fun place to work. Management and co-workers are great. Excellent work/life balance. Lots of opportunity for growth and development and the company offers lots of training.
Don't work here if you value your health or your mental well-being
Book Fair Consultant (Former Employee), Fenton, MOMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Great Co-workers
Cons: Micromanagement, mercenary attitude towards the bottom line
This is not a company that values literacy as they try and lead you to believe. This is a company that values profit. As a book fair consultant, you are expected to sell book fairs as a fundraiser/library builder for schools. What if the librarian calls you and tells you that he or she has to cancel the book fair because they are losing their job? You need to SAVE THE FAIR at all costs so that the company does not lose that revenue. What if the teacher in charge calls to say she was just diagnosed with breast cancer and cannot run the book fair due to health issues. Guess what?? You need to SAVE THE FAIR so that you don't lose the money. You can't say "I'm so sorry and I completely understand, and I am wishing the best for your health." You have to say "Sorry, but is there anyone else there who can run this book fair?" Here's another scenario: a book fair chair calls to say that they need to move their book fair to another week so that they can capitalize on the foot traffic during parent-teacher conferences. This is a school with very low parent participation and it is the only way the school can build their library. Guess what? They can't move their fair because there are a finite number of book fair slots in a week because there are not enough books to go around. Your choices are to move the fair to another week when no one will show up to make it successful for the school, or move it into the week that is overcrowded knowing that the students will have a terrible selection- and here's the kicker- if the school's fair makes under $1000, you will be *spoken to* and possibly written up.

I did not like the person I had to become in order to make my numbers. High blood pressure and antidepressant medication are common in the office I worked in. Do yourself a favor and don't submit yourself to this type of nonsense.
Best Children publishing Co.
SALES DIRECTOR (Former Employee), MexicoMarch 23, 2015
Pros: best in all aspects.
Cons: they leave too soon int. market
A great place to work. A lot of publishing, market coverage and penetration. One of the best Book Clubs to work with.

Stay away from the Fresno Branch
Product Coordinator (Current Employee), Fresno, CAMarch 3, 2015
Management here is only here for a paycheck and every time you have an issue that needs to be addressed they will hear you out and do nothing about it. If you want to work for a place where you're great at what you do and not get any form of appreciation or acknowledgement this is the place to work for. Management nor Corporate know how to promote from within the branch and would rather hire someone from outside.
Great people to work with
Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Olympia, WAFebruary 25, 2015
The people that work there really make the job great. It it fun working with schools helping them plan book fairs. The hardest part of the job is management.
job productivity
Lead Person (Former Employee), Marlborough, MAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: no free lunch
Cons: breaks not bad
typical day is the fast paste of job.enjoyable day is getting the work done in a professional way.the hardest part is learning a new job.management will have done better.co-workers are amazing.what i learned every day is anew experinece
fun work place
Graphic designer (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: helthcare
I was an intern and thus i works on servile tasks such a graphic design, file management, promotional items and day to day assistance for other employees.
fun work enviroment
Imaging Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: management cares about your well being, beautiful work environment, team work is highly stressed
Cons: high turnover rate
I had a pleasure working at scholastic. laid back environment with opportunity to learn from a great team of talented creatives.
Wonderful Part-Time Job
Product Coordinator (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 2, 2015
I have gotten the best workout of my life working part-time for Scholastic. A typical day at work is very physical, with lots of lifting and packing. I find that if I eat right, stretch daily and drink lots of water, the physical aspects of the job are a lot easier. There are waves or shipping deadlines to meet. The best part of this company is the management. I like the way the manager and supervisors allow employees to meet goals without micro-managing. It's a good work environment.
Wonderful Part-Time Job
Product Coordinator (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 2, 2015
friendly, helpful people and great lunch cook offs
Order Filler (Former Employee), Brooklyn Park, MNJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: only there for short time but great cook offs
Cons: kind of heavy lifting at time that was a little hard
all the people I worked with were so friendly and helpful. had fun working with my team although some days stressful somewhat just because of schedules. loved the cook offs they had at lunch.
Great Working Environment
Case Repairman (Former Employee), Draper UtahJanuary 17, 2015
Flexible concentrated working environment. Dedicated to providing the best book fair service possible. Often this meant demanding physical pace. Yet this was the best and worst aspect of the job.
Productive workplace
Customer Service Representative I (Current Employee), Neosho, MOJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches, friendly staff
Cons: angry customers, small desks
Typically at work, the only people I talked to were the ones I could reach easily from my desk. But everyone was extremely friendly. I learned that every customer is different. Therefore, you must treat each one like the individual they are. The hardest part of my job is dealing with extremely difficult customers. Sometimes, they can get extremely irate and I am the one who has to calm them down.
I'm good at this, though it is very taxing and sometimes stressful. But, the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have helped children read and given them the opportunity to become knowledgeable in all things.
Great work evironment
Picker/Loader (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 5, 2015
I enjoyed working here. Other employees where very cooperative and friendly.
Productive and fun work place
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: schedule flexibility
Cons: lack of upward mobility past team lead position
Typical work day consist of completing inventory, driving forklift, interacting with coworkers. Enjoyed the management team they had an open door policy and were available to help with the work load. The staff was mostly long term employees which allowed us to build a camaraderie with each other. The hardest part of the day was if we were behind in the workload which would cause for long day and the most enjoyable part was employee appreciation.
Fun productive enviornment
Book Club Representative (Former Employee), Neosho moJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: took book orders
• Took book orders over the phone.
• Maintained a clean, productive environment for employees and patrons.
• Demonstrated professional problem – solving skills between patrons and employees when negotiation was needed.

1 2 3 4 5

About Scholastic

Once upon a time, a company grew up to become one of the world's leading children's book publishers. Scholastic Corporation sells – Read more

Scholastic Salaries