School District of Palm Beach County

School District of Palm Beach County United States Employee Reviews

Interactive and great overall workplace
First grade teacher (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLMarch 22, 2015
Fun and easy going workplace. Typically very challenging but worth the hard work to see students succeed on a daily basis.
work environment is cordial and friendly
Audit Manager (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLMarch 21, 2015
Pros: good coworkers
Cons: time line crunch
mostly auditing work

learned to take on add'l responsibilities

co-workers are professional and friendly

enjoyable part is very good working atmosphere
Teaching was not for me!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 24, 2015
I taught for 8 and a half years and the work environment progressively worsened as I learned more about the management at the district level. I found some practices that were required in our classrooms to be unethical and not conducive to student learning. Most reasons that caused me to become a teacher were slowly taken away to the point where I found very little joy and satisfaction in the job
Excellent company to work for if you have children in school
Attendance Clerk (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: vacations
Cons: no summer pay
I really enjoy working for the District because i'm out of school when my daughter is also out. Also summer vacations are the best!!!
Job summary
Substitute teacher (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 5, 2015
I enjoy my work at the lab. Everyone works well as a team. I am only leaving because the lab will be closing in May 2015.

Experience in an academic setting with IR, UV/Vis and Mass Spectrometry; and H1 NMR Industrial experience with Spectrophotometry and GC/MS
Positive, fun, and fulfilling job
Afterschool Counselor/Summer Camp Counselor (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLFebruary 2, 2015
Responsible for a group of children for full and half days over the summer months and afternoons during the school year. As a counselor, I’ve assisted students with homework and studying, coordinated and supervised activities and play, attended field trips, administered first aid as needed, and ensured a safe and productive experience at all times.
supervison
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Belle Glade, FLJanuary 5, 2015
To monitor all students who enters and exit on the daily basis. to keep machines clean and supervise the students whose using the equipment.
Science Department Chair (Current Employee), Pahokee, FLDecember 28, 2014
I am currently working on an Educational Doctorate degree with a dual concentration in Elementary and Middle Grades STEM education and Instructional Leadership. As a current Science teacher, my goal is make science fun for students not only to get students to increase their level of proficiency in science but also in hopes of students becoming interested in science as a career and area of study. As a SECME (Science, Engineering, Communication, Mathematics, Education) coordinator, I infuse math and engineering activities into my science lesson to help students make connections between the subjects and more importantly to help build inquiry through hands-on activities. My future career goals are to attain a leadership position where I can have greater influence in promoting STEM subjects to students. I would like to take a leading role in the future to help create more STEM schools that will create student interest in the fields of Science Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
I believe that being bilingual is a benefit for many employers. With our increasing diversity of students, knowing how to speak both English and Spanish is very valuable. I have 5 years of experience teaching low socioeconomic students at a Title I school where 95 percent of the school population was minority African American and Hispanic students. As a science teacher, department chairman, SECME coordinator, full time student at a doctoral program and full time parent and husband, I have met every deadline for every task, or assignment that I have been asked to complete or have challenged myself to – more... do. This is all possible with effective planning and time management. As a department chair, I have brought it onto myself the responsibility of coordinating weekly meeting to ensure appropriate planning and resources for my department. I have also taken the responsibility to coach and mentor incoming science teachers to ensure that they have guidance towards their success. At my current school setting, I have logged in over 110 hours of administrative duty as interim dean of student discipline demonstrating my leadership ability in working with middle school students. I also have vast knowledge working with Microsoft Office programs including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. – less
productive workplace
intern with an agency (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLDecember 4, 2014
Pros: the agents that i had the ability to work with
Cons: having to leave this internship
this was an internship that consisted of a lot of fun moments and an experience of a lifetime. I met some helpful and caring individuals which I gained a lot of knowledge from. Overall, this was a lifetime experience.
Good friends and team work
Specialist (Current Employee), FloridaOctober 6, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: limited professional development
No rush in meeting deadlines; only occasionally happens so.
Not the best employees
Assistant Technical Director (Former Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FLAugust 30, 2014
Pros: easy commute
Cons: the pbcsd is running out of money.
The PBCSD is good to work for if you like being laid off. They are an easy commute depending on what school you are posted at.
Great work environment
Medical Academy Teacher (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLAugust 13, 2014
teaching students independently; some guidance from peers
Assiting students to achieve their educational goals
Substitute Teacher/Physical Needs Assistant (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJuly 16, 2014
I educate students on class assignments that are left by the permanent teacher. As well as keeping the students on task. I discipline unruly students in order to maintain educational harmony for the overall class. I also work with students in ESE to function to the best of their abilities. For instance I work with some students one on one by reading aloud or interpreting subject materials to them. In addition to helping students I also work with administration to rectify behavioral needs.
Love what I do but am looking for an opportunity for upward advancement
Treasurer II (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLJuly 13, 2014
check writing, money counting/bank deposit, purchase orders, office coverage, etc.
sharpened my accounting skills, how to work well with others, how to work with the general public, how to overcome obstacles and reach a common goal, etc.
worked well with all levels of management--inhouse and district wide
interacted with all staff on a daily basis
time management--priorities would change on an hourly basis
completing tasks and knowing the satisfaction of an order received, bank statement balanced, etc.
Polictics have creeped into the education environment.
Teacher (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLMarch 26, 2014
This job used to be the most desired workplace and has lately with all of the economical shifts fallen from that status.
obbjectional organization to work for
Special Inspector (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: manegement not trustworthy
Management was con artist. Deceivedin hiring
Many opportunities
Class environment
Teacher AID (Former Employee), Palm Beach, FLJanuary 25, 2014
Assist head teacher in daily activities in the classroom.
Sometimes students did not listen and coming late to class was the hardest part of this jo.
The School district needs to start focusing on real learning not just test scores
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 24, 2014
Everything at the School District has turned out to be how to follow the demands of the state to obtain A+ funding
Opportunity for professional development
SPANISH TEACHER / ADULT EDUCATION (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLDecember 19, 2013
Pros: excellent place to work
The School District is an excellent place to work but unfortunately I teach only two evenings a week. I need more income and to work forty hours
I love my students, I enjoy teaching
Overall rating is a 4.
Speech/Language Pathologist (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLAugust 21, 2013
Pros: children's progress, benefits and pay, ongoing education
Cons: lack of space to work, oversized caseloads, taking lots of work home
A typical day at work is anything but typical. The best-laid plans do not always occur, as there are interruptions-everything from fire drills, to field trips, assemblies, or IEP meetings. It is quite important to show routines to the students as much as possible; yet, one also has to "go with the flow." I have learned incredible things mainly from students~things that all the workshops in the world may never teach you. It is that "hands on" time with students that educates a teacher more than anything you can read in a book. I have also learned that communication is key, whether one is setting up classroom expectations to students, speaking with parents, or dealing with other professionals who may not share your same ideals. It is important to maintain a professional stature among one's peers. I feel I have gained the respect of my peers because I consider all ideas. There is no idea that is "dumb." Being a teacher is like being a dancer in a fine ballet. The show will go off well as long as all the people are working together. The conductor (principal) is the most important key in the total relationship and ambience of the school. I have a principal who is an excellent leader and that is important for the staff to feel happy, accepted, and willing to put forth extra effort for students. The hardest part of the job is that you never "leave it at work." I am home doing the paperwork and online forms that seem to be neverending. Yet, it is all legal and required, so one does what must be done to get the job done right. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my students. Seeing happiness on their faces as they enter my speech room, is worth a million dollars! Teaching has the greatest benefits and vacation time of any job I know. One works hard for 10 straight months and then the opportunity arises to recharge your batteries and start anew. It's refreshing and so interesting to start with many new students.

School District of Palm Beach County Salaries