School District of Palm Beach County

School District of Palm Beach County Employer Reviews

Not the best employees
Assistant Technical Director (Former Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FLAugust 30, 2014
Pros: easy commute
Cons: the pbcsd is running out of money.
The PBCSD is good to work for if you like being laid off. They are an easy commute depending on what school you are posted at.
Great work environment
Medical Academy Teacher (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLAugust 13, 2014
teaching students independently; some guidance from peers
Assiting students to achieve their educational goals
Substitute Teacher/Physical Needs Assistant (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJuly 16, 2014
I educate students on class assignments that are left by the permanent teacher. As well as keeping the students on task. I discipline unruly students in order to maintain educational harmony for the overall class. I also work with students in ESE to function to the best of their abilities. For instance I work with some students one on one by reading – more... aloud or interpreting subject materials to them. In addition to helping students I also work with administration to rectify behavioral needs. – less
Love what I do but am looking for an opportunity for upward advancement
Treasurer II (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLJuly 13, 2014
check writing, money counting/bank deposit, purchase orders, office coverage, etc.
sharpened my accounting skills, how to work well with others, how to work with the general public, how to overcome obstacles and reach a common goal, etc.
worked well with all levels of management--inhouse and district wide
interacted with all staff on a daily basis
time – more... management--priorities would change on an hourly basis
completing tasks and knowing the satisfaction of an order received, bank statement balanced, etc. – less
Polictics have creeped into the education environment.
Teacher (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLMarch 26, 2014
This job used to be the most desired workplace and has lately with all of the economical shifts fallen from that status.
obbjectional organization to work for
Special Inspector (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: manegement not trustworthy
Management was con artist. Deceivedin hiring
Many opportunities
Class environment
Teacher AID (Former Employee), Palm Beach, FLJanuary 25, 2014
Assist head teacher in daily activities in the classroom.
Sometimes students did not listen and coming late to class was the hardest part of this jo.
The School district needs to start focusing on real learning not just test scores
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 24, 2014
Everything at the School District has turned out to be how to follow the demands of the state to obtain A+ funding
Opportunity for professional development
SPANISH TEACHER / ADULT EDUCATION (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLDecember 19, 2013
Pros: excellent place to work
The School District is an excellent place to work but unfortunately I teach only two evenings a week. I need more income and to work forty hours
I love my students, I enjoy teaching
Overall rating is a 4.
Speech/Language Pathologist (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLAugust 21, 2013
Pros: children's progress, benefits and pay, ongoing education
Cons: lack of space to work, oversized caseloads, taking lots of work home
A typical day at work is anything but typical. The best-laid plans do not always occur, as there are interruptions-everything from fire drills, to field trips, assemblies, or IEP meetings. It is quite important to show routines to the students as much as possible; yet, one also has to "go with the flow." I have learned incredible things mainly from – more... students~things that all the workshops in the world may never teach you. It is that "hands on" time with students that educates a teacher more than anything you can read in a book. I have also learned that communication is key, whether one is setting up classroom expectations to students, speaking with parents, or dealing with other professionals who may not share your same ideals. It is important to maintain a professional stature among one's peers. I feel I have gained the respect of my peers because I consider all ideas. There is no idea that is "dumb." Being a teacher is like being a dancer in a fine ballet. The show will go off well as long as all the people are working together. The conductor (principal) is the most important key in the total relationship and ambience of the school. I have a principal who is an excellent leader and that is important for the staff to feel happy, accepted, and willing to put forth extra effort for students. The hardest part of the job is that you never "leave it at work." I am home doing the paperwork and online forms that seem to be neverending. Yet, it is all legal and required, so one does what must be done to get the job done right. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my students. Seeing happiness on their faces as they enter my speech room, is worth a million dollars! Teaching has the greatest benefits and vacation time of any job I know. One works hard for 10 straight months and then the opportunity arises to recharge your batteries and start anew. It's refreshing and so interesting to start with many new students. – less
I enjoyed working for this district. Although it was large, each school I taught at had a supportive, family-like environment.
Teacherof the Gifted (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJune 30, 2013
Pros: parent involvement/volunteers
Cons: salaries were on hold for a number of years, increases due to inflation did not keep up with inflation
As a teacher, there is not really a typical day a t work. One of the reasons I became a teacher is because each day a new adventure and unique. While there are specific routines for students to use as guidelines, I embrace teachable moments when a student has an interest or wants to investigate/inquire deeper into a concept.

I learn from my students – more... every day, which is varied depending on what their prior knowledge is. I also learn from my colleagues, such as a different approach than I am currently using to help students with a challenging math concept. Professional development workshops addressing staff needs and professional growth are embraced.

I manage my classroom with an overall umbrella of daily routines, high expectations, and mutual respect. I want the children to feel calm and safe. Our classroom has a sense of community.

I have become very close friends with my co-workers, and feel it is vital to collaborate with them to reach the individual and community goals.

The hardest part of the job is that there is always something extra that can be done to help students. Time with them is limited, so prioritizing is helpful.

The best part of the job is watching a child's face light up when he or she achieves success in a subject that was challenging to them in the past. It is also a great feeling watching children be engaged and excited about the learning process. – less
Great work very fulfilling
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Palm beach countyFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: make you own schedule
Cons: no benefits, no guaranteed hours
Being a substitute in Palm beach county is great work and very meaningful .
PRODUCTIVE WORKPLACE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS KIDS..
Assistant Behavioral Specialist / Special Needs I (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLAugust 23, 2012
Pros: student smiles on there faces
Cons: when i have to restrain the students
A TYPICAL SAY AT WORK IS FUN AND SOMETIME HARD ASWHILE WHEN THE KIDS GET ANGRY..
good work environment
Language Facilitator (Former Employee), Boynton Beach, FLApril 10, 2012
It is a pleasure to work for this company. People are pleasant and the work environment is wonderful