School District of Philadelphia

School District of Philadelphia United States Employee Reviews

The district has many challenges yet has passionate, effective teachers.
New Teacher Coach, Instructional Specialist (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 21, 2015
Pros: empowering young minds
Cons: the schedule is agenuine nusance, tea or bathroom pick one, because no time for both with 3 minutes between students
I instruct students in ways to learn and sustain new knowledge.
Cognitive coaching, support and training to new teachers in K-12 inner-city schools. Plan/facilitate Staff Development & Induction program. Assist with data analysis/ interventions.
Communicate effectively with all colleagues Conduct extensive data analysis reports, plan/support interventions for school improvement. Communicate effectively with Administration, school personnel and among
various Leadership Teams. Create exemplary professional documents.
Create exemplary
professional documents
good work place
Food service assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 4, 2015
typical day at work is feeding 260 students in grades k-8 providing them with satellite meals. I love working with the kids I look forward to going to work every day
special education
Bus Attendant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 23, 2015
this is a loving and caring work place to accrue in. all children have there own personality. helping each student is a self reward.
Friendly atmosphere
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to be a problem solver for others. Management is fair and coworkers are wonderful to work with.
Good people, Great Union
High School English/Journalism Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 8, 2015
I love this job, Ive been to other schools and nothing compares to this culture that exist in Philly. Love it. I never know what to expect but it is never boring.
Productive, fun, and lots of GREAT people
Supportive Service Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: only part time
helping children learn, I learned to be patient and professional, management was ok, coworkers helpful, hardest part/there was none, most enjoyable helping building relationships with kids
I had fun at work everyday
Security Officer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: 8-4 monday -friday
Cons: raise&benifits after 90 working days, until then you are own your own literally.also major layoffs.
I had fun at work everyday. But having fun doesn't pay the bills, it paid some of them. I got paid by the day not hour. But the training was conducted by Philadelphia Police and on the job it was a heck of an experience.
Great if you like working with kids.
Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: summer off
Cons: every yesr a different grade
If you don't mind being put at a new school and grade every year, this is the job for you. I did like working with the little kids.
Horrible work conditions
high priced insurance
no 401 k plan
no staff
low sick days
no money for students supplies and texts books
Hospice chaplain/high school educator
High School Teacher/Dept. Head - 13 years (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 14, 2015
Hospice: Worked minimum of 6 hrs a day. usually saw 2-3 patients a day. Applied writing skills to complete paperwork required. Contacted families with concerns affecting patients. Performed funeral services. Not all patients were receptive.

Dept. Head: Preferred working with young people (high school -college age) also a minimum of 6 hours a day.. I have excellent raport with that age group; I feel that this is the age students can take the wrong tack in life and need strong counseling because they do not confide in their parents.
ok work place
Bus Attendant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: free insrance and medical
Cons: takes up most of your day and the pay is really no good
Riding the bus and monitoring the kids to make sure the are safe to and from the school. Some days I would stay in the school to assist students/teachers with school work and assignments
police
SCHOOL POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: no
Cons: no
love to work for the school district of philadelpjia ask a school police officer to help the kids be safe in school and help the philadelphia police out i love that job but i get layoff from it so i want to work for campbell place ask a cook but i need a new job that make me help to come to work every day
I ENJOY MY JOB.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 30, 2014
Pros: a rewarding day.
Cons: icy weather.
I TRANSPORT CHILDREN TO AND FROM SCHOOL IN A SAFE MANNER. I HAVE THE PLEASURE OF DRIVING MIDDLE SCHOOL CHILDREN AS WELL AS HIGH SCHOOL KIDS.
productive
Food Service Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 30, 2014
Pros: go place to work for educatind kids
Cons: to many students
I learned how to communicate with students listen and give positive feedback resolve conflicts work together for one common goal management always their for you to talk to
I love my job!
Classroom Instrumental Music Teacher (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 28, 2014
A very high energy job in the City! I have a s much fun teaching as I do learning from my students!
Productive and pleasant
Lead Food Service Worker/Supervisor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 28, 2014
Pros: incentives and growth protential
Cons: the down time before foing into the field. school closed.
A typical day with the school district was very productive. There was always something to do, such as; cooking, deadlines to meet, and menu planning, and learning new things.
My manager was very helpful and always there to assist me. Management offered meetings to review food preparation, nutrition, and ordering food. I enjoyed interacting with the students, especially about culinary and baking.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to apply for additional work after my shift.
not a place to work hr and employee verification break the rules.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 14, 2014
They are the worst they try and railroad you from a job if they even have rules and regulations by their handbook by giving bad references.
A pleasant place to work.
Secretary I/Secretary III (Former Employee), Three High Schools/ Three PrincipalsDecember 5, 2014
Pros: frequent offers of education to employees and benefits
Many of my years of experience was in a High School office setting. The day started early with preparation for the arrival of staffers, students and sometimes, parents and/or early visitors. The current Senior Secretary taught me all job duties and responsibilities of each office personnel as well as her own. The daily routine functioned with ease, everyone worked well together and assisted each other whenever needed. Early in my second year I found myself in a new position as Senior Secretary to the principal/manager of office staff, payroll and more. This new position came with a lengthy list of duties and responsibilities, however, I found it quite easy to manage. I enjoyed it very much. The most enjoyable thing about this job was the people with whom I worked, the support to staff, and definitely the pleasure of continued education opportunities.
I ENJOY SEVRING AND WORKING WITH STUDENTS
Supportive Services Assistant (SSA) (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 17, 2014
The day is an educational and fun one. I have learned over the years that everybody learn in different ways and no books can really prepare you for the process of the human development. Management has several titles as well as line staff its important that we work together even with disagreements. We are a team and need to remember that at all times. I enjoy my job
Strawberry Mansion was a nice place to work.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 13, 2014
Pros: great team work.
Cons: nothing negative about my experience at strawberry mansion school. i worked there 3 years, was supposed to had been a permanent school until i was a force transfer.
A Day working at Strawberry Mansion, would start, me signing in, then I would go to head cook asking her what was on the menu for the day, I would have to cut lunch meat, prepare sandwiches, whatever was on the menu, that what I did, even helped slice pizza up.

I learned a lot how to slice meat, also I was responsible for the student store, I did that about 2 yrs.,

Co-workers were no problem, we all got along, we all had each other back, we looked out for one another.

Management was great, she did not stand over you, she let you do whatever you wanted, as long as the work was done in a timely manner and in time for lunch.

There was no hard part to working at this school.

I enjoyed working there, The manager made it nice for everybody to work together.

1 2 3 4 5

$10.00 per hour
First Grade Teacher
$74,000 per year

School District of Philadelphia Photos

City Hall the seat of our power